Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Cox is being benched for UGA

Started by 3BoarsDown, September 10, 2009, 09:45:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

Logan Gray will get the start this week.

dougieritch

This is interesting...quick knee jerk reaction by Richt.  Guess he is feeling some heat?!?

Hawgndaaz

Didn't he juggle qb's the last year we played them in Athens?

donewithdale

Had to be done.  UGa doesn't think they can consistently block S Car especially missing a starting OL.  Gray at least gives them a shot since he is more mobile.  I would have preferreed from our standpoint for Cox to have stayed the starter. 

spudhog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 10, 2009, 09:49:49 am
Didn't he juggle qb's the last year we played them in Athens?

Shockley got hurt in that game was the reasoning by the shuffle.

He shuffled the qb position a few times in Stafford's first year. Stafford obviously won out but they struggled with it all season.

The big problem for Richt right now is not having a proven running game. He's always had that to fall back on and this time he doesn't. He's a really good HC and they will have a tough year. If he doesn't get things corrected next season, I expect him to be gone.

This happens from time to time with really good coaches. A couple of player's don't develop/pan out and you just get caught with no safety net. Just so happens, they have a really difficult schedule. Perfect recipe for a long year.

jonesark™

M
Quote from: donewithdale on September 10, 2009, 09:50:59 am
Had to be done.  UGa doesn't think they can consistently block S Car especially missing a starting OL.  Gray at least gives them a shot since he is more mobile.  I would have preferreed from our standpoint for Cox to have stayed the starter. 

me too

t-money

I'm glad they are in question about there qb this week. That could really have some questions for them next week in fay. Or, this new kid could look amazing, then there wouldn't be a question. Either way, I think it helps us, it looks like they haven't really found themselves yet, and we know who we are...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

Beaverfever

This is not good news for GA.  Sounds like the coaches aren't as confident in Cox as they said all preseason.

SquidBilly

Cox didn't help himself with the comments he made yesterday either.  Richt was already getting heat and the comments Cox made yesterday about not wanting anyone who hadn't played football themselves to be critiquing him only served to tick off an already angry fanbase.  Cox may not have realized it when he said it but his comments hit 99.9% of all Bulldog fans square between the eyes.

LAHOGG

I'm just glad they are doing it now so we atleast will have some film on this new guy.

donewithdale

With King coming back, he and Samuel will make a good rb duo.

TechHog

I thought Cox was "the leader" of the team....   If so, a divided locker room and morale in the trash can for the Dawgs!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I have said from the beginning Richt should have started anyone other than Cox.  Get the most talented guy on the field from the start and play him all year.  May take some lumps but better for the future.  Gonna take lumps anyway with Cox, and he won't be around next year to use what he's learned.
Let's make some waves.

NorthshoreBoar

A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

NorthshoreBoar

I just looked on DawgRant.  No link yet, looks like their rivals page (UGASPORTS.com) is reporting that a source told them this.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

GuvHog

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 10, 2009, 10:17:09 am
I have said from the beginning Richt should have started anyone other than Cox.  Get the most talented guy on the field from the start and play him all year.  May take some lumps but better for the future.  Gonna take lumps anyway with Cox, and he won't be around next year to use what he's learned.

Exactly. There's a reason Cox is a fifth year Senior who has never started until
last week. He isn't starting QB material.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

donewithdale

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 10, 2009, 10:30:56 am
I just looked on DawgRant.  No link yet, looks like their rivals page (UGASPORTS.com) is reporting that a source told them this.

I'll let you know what they are saying on Atl radio when I get back from lunch this afternoon.  It could be Richt is wanting Ellis Johnson to spend more time preparing for a mobile qb as I'm sure SCar didn't see a lot they had to prepare for with Cox. 

want2be

They will have Caleb King back for our game and Samuel picked up tuff yardage against Ok State.

The dual threat QB Gray is a dangerous runner, but if they don't have an effective pass game they could implode like Auburn did last year.

I imagine Willie R will dialing up a few blitzs for whoever is their QB.

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2009, 10:31:14 am
Exactly. There's a reason Cox is a fifth year Senior who has never started until
and their names are DJ Shockley and Matthew Stafford

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: donewithdale on September 10, 2009, 09:50:59 am

If Gray sucks badly vs. USC, then Cox might be back in there for our game.

And BTW, has anyone heard anything from Dr. Dawggy recently??

I predicted this would happen with Cox, but he argued with me for two days, telling me that Cox was an undefeated HS QB, that he had great leadership qualities, etc. 

Dr. Dawggy???  Where's a troll when you need 'em, huh?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Yep
Let's make some waves.

Lieutenant Dan

Beaverfever

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 10, 2009, 10:41:37 am
and their names are DJ Shockley and Matthew Stafford
He couldn't beat out Stafford who started as a true freshman. 

Reaganite

September 10, 2009, 11:13:01 am #23 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:14:44 am by Reaganite
The official Georgia website says nothing about this.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&SPID=3571&SPSID=40673

LSPRazorbac

I've heard on another board Cox is has a shoulder injury and Gray took all the reps at practice yesterday.  Supposed to be a presser this evening.

Hawgrox

Sounds like another situation a few years ago...Coaching staff names a starter...we are told throughout 2 a days and the weeks leading up to the 1st game that "He is the man...the clear cut leader...everybody shutup...we know what we are doing" then said QB struggles in the first game and this "clear cut leader" is benched for Freshman QB who starts the next game and has much success...sound familiar?

PigSoup

I think a lot of dwag fans would like to see a change at QB, but I live just outside of Athens and have neither heard nor read anything about it.  If Cox and company don't beat Spurrier's bunch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Logan Gray start in Fayetteville.
You never saw a fish on the wall with its mouth closed !!

dotnet

Are you kidding me?  This is the craziest thing ever.  DJ Shockley was a talented senior with experience when he got to campus.  Then he sat behind Stafford for three years.  Stafford, a starting qb in the NFL at the age of 21.  This guy could be good enough to win the heisman this year and he wouldn't have started the past four seasons. 

We should make sure Matt Cassell and his 40 million dollars know that he is not starting quarterback material.  Tom Brady would also be interested to know that he isn't starting qb material because he didn't start much (if any) in college before his senior year. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgrox on September 10, 2009, 11:30:36 am
Sounds like another situation a few years ago...Coaching staff names a starter...we are told throughout 2 a days and the weeks leading up to the 1st game that "He is the man...the clear cut leader...everybody shutup...we know what we are doing" then said QB struggles in the first game and this "clear cut leader" is benched for Freshman QB who starts the next game and has much success...sound familiar?

True, but if it's true that Cox is not playing because of a shoulder injury it sheds
a new light on this. It means rather than playing Gray because they think he's
better, they're playing him because other than an unproven freshman, they have
no choice. That is an entirely different thing.

LSPRazorbac

It has been confirmed on other boards Gray took all the 1st team reps at practice.

GuvHog

Quote from: dotnet on September 10, 2009, 11:37:25 am
Are you kidding me?  This is the craziest thing ever.  DJ Shockley was a talented senior with experience when he got to campus.  Then he sat behind Stafford for three years.  Stafford, a starting qb in the NFL at the age of 21.  This guy could be good enough to win the heisman this year and he wouldn't have started the past four seasons. 

We should make sure Matt Cassell and his 40 million dollars know that he is not starting quarterback material.  Tom Brady would also be interested to know that he isn't starting qb material because he didn't start much (if any) in college before his senior year. 

D.J. Shockley was a talented HIGH SCHOOL player who was a TRUE FRESHMAN with
absolutely NO college experience when he arrived at Georgia. Matt Cassell was drafted
in the middle rounds and had to earn his position. He didn't start immediately upon
his arrival in the NFL.

Beaverfever

Wow people stop talking about Matt Cassell.  The mere fact that every talks about it is proof enough that it is NOT common at all and far far far from ideal.

RickyRoma

It doesn't pay to catch the flu in Georgia...

t-money

W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

want2be

I just listened to Richt's post practice from yesterday and nothing was mentioned about this.

Alot of discussion on getting Caleb K. the tailback back in the rotation.

Quote from: dotnet on September 10, 2009, 11:37:25 am

No you must be kidding.  Yes it was one game, but did you watch it?  I mean sometimes simply watching will tell you if a guy has it or he doesn't.  Did okie st ever fear Cox as a passer? No.  And they are not a defensive machine by any means.

Yes OK behind Stafford.  Understood, but lets not confuse Georgia with USC when we are talking QB's.  Yes Stafford is starting in the NFL for a team that did not win ONE game. The Lions can't mathematically post a worse record this year now matter who plays.
Let's make some waves.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: t-money on September 10, 2009, 12:03:07 pm
Here's what ESPN said... http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4462154

"due to an arm issue"???  That's no big deal right??  It's just a problem with a QB'S ARM!!  But it's just an "issue".  LMAO!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

t-money

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 10, 2009, 12:53:47 pm
"due to an arm issue"???  That's no big deal right??  It's just a problem with a QB'S ARM!!  But it's just an "issue".  LMAO!

I guess it could be his left arm?...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: t-money on September 10, 2009, 12:54:32 pm
I guess it could be his left arm?...

If that were the case why would he be limited in throwing "due to an arm issue"?

t-money

Yeah, i know, just a joke... I hope they throw the rook against us...that might be fun...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

Quote from: t-money on September 10, 2009, 01:01:44 pm
Yeah, i know, just a joke... I hope they throw the rook against us...that might be fun...

I would rather they start Cox against us.  With a youngster you could always get great or awful.  Unpredictable. 
Let's make some waves.

t-money

Yep, either way, we get some pressure back there and I don't think either one of them will produce...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

LAHOGG

September 10, 2009, 01:22:38 pm #42 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:25:53 pm by LAHOGG
Quote from: t-money on September 10, 2009, 01:13:39 pm
Yep, either way, we get some pressure back there and I don't think either one of them will produce...

Sometimes when you have an Athlete back there you want to make him beat you passing. Which means lay off the pressure. Like what teams have been doing to Juice at ILL. I'm not sure he's that mobile though.  But we'll know more about what they have after saturday. 

t-money

But getting pressure back there makes him have to think very fast and possibly making some huge mistakes...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

LAHOGG

Quote from: t-money on September 10, 2009, 01:25:03 pm
But getting pressure back there makes him have to think very fast and possibly making some huge mistakes...

You may be right especially since their OL is a little beat up.  But what I want to see is if he is a run first qb.  Which we'll find out thankfully before next week.

donewithdale

Latest out of Atlanta radio is Gray has been taking the 1st team snaps because Cox has a "tired arm"(after one game?).  They believe Cox is still the starter but Richt will do as he said he would in preseason and that is play both.

Caleb King now questionable again due to the hamstring issues. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: LAHOGG on September 10, 2009, 01:30:37 pm
You may be right especially since their OL is a little beat up.  But what I want to see is if he is a run first qb.  Which we'll find out thankfully before next week.

I've only read about the one injury on their O line, have I missed others??

Also, UGa was supposed to have the deepest O line in the SEC, what with their starters last year all coming back added in with the injured starters from 2007 who returned this year.  So one injury shouldn't be an issue for them.

SemperHawg

Either way, when they come into Fayetteville, stack the Box, and make whoever it is beat us with their arm, doesn't look like there is an arm on their team.

t-money

Quote from: donewithdale on September 10, 2009, 01:31:07 pm
Latest out of Atlanta radio is Gray has been taking the 1st team snaps because Cox has a "tired arm"(after one game?).  They believe Cox is still the starter but Richt will do as he said he would in preseason and that is play both.

Caleb King now questionable again due to the hamstring issues. 

He must be using that same arm for something else....or maybe he was working out with Z28? 
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

The Realist

Cox isn't 100% either...but let all overlook that part, right?
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.