Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Hog basketball players investigated for rape

Started by Mark Lericos, September 09, 2009, 10:16:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Lericos

Hog Leg

HawgAlude

Ah man -- I like Pelphrey--- but do you not think he might be way in over is head in running a major college basketball program..... this is not good news at all.....

TexHog188

I had read something of this on another board back closer to when it happened, but it was dismissed as rumor.  Guess there is more to come.  Let's hope this is not a repeat of Duke Lacrosse.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Big Papa Satan

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgAlude on September 09, 2009, 10:21:16 am
Ah man -- I like Pelphrey--- but do you not think he might be way in over is head in running a major college basketball program..... this is not good news at all.....

I'm not as big a Pelphrey fan as I was but it's hard to drop this one his lap.  I know the buck stops with him but still......
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

outlawhogeywells

Ok I will ask the obvious question
which 3 players?

football17

Quote from: HawgWild on September 09, 2009, 10:22:19 am
Moderators should move this over to the basketball forum if it has legs. <sigh> No wonder Coach Pelphrey looked so worn out in his brief interview during Saturday night's football game.

This is big hog news and should stay here IMO.

hogansas

I'm sure Pelphrey didn't condone it.  Can't blame him for other's stupidity.  Is it Petrino's fault that Mallett got in trouble earlier?  I know it's much different circumstances, but a coach can't make decisions for his players.  They are ultimately responsible for themselves.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

Clint Alan

I am starting to really dislike our basketball program, and everything it stands for right now
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Kris P. Bacon

Wow, just wow

Quote from: football17 on September 09, 2009, 10:27:10 am
This is big hog news and should stay here IMO.
How hard is it to click on JUMP BALL? It is there for basketball related news.
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

BAMF*tuba*MAC

I had friends at that party.... They came home talking about it but heard nothing about our basketball team. Apparently there is video evidence....
........TUCK FEXAS........

Marshfieldhog

Pel recruited a bunch of losers as human beings, of course some blame goes to him.

brodie_hawg

Pel is a much harder disciplinarian than the previous coach yet these things seem to be happening more frequently.

Iwastherein1969

September 09, 2009, 10:33:40 am #15 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:00:03 am by Iwastherein1969
i can tell you who its NOT.....and I don't know this for sure but I'd bet the money for my grandbaby's new shoes that it has nothing to do with Rotnei Clarke, Michael Sanchez, Marcus Britt or Michael Washington....as for the rest of the crew, who knows ?

ad:  is this anything new ?  let's get real here....with diversity comes diverse thought via multi-culturalism...what is accepted as normal for one group of people is not necessarily accepted as the norm for another....this is how the typical story goes, (1) girl or girls who grew up primarily in culture X get to college and find the world is full of interesting and different people,(2) experimentation begins innocently in the beginning, (3) friendship leads to confidence won and females see themseves as important and cool because guys from culture Y are adored athletes on campus (4) first party, not much happens, a little drinking, a little kissing and all is well....until (5) next party, heavy petting is the next logical step for females from culture X but the males from culture Y the next logical step is  "i've spent more than enough money on these ho's and its time to get what I've paid for", which is totally acceptable and logical in the minds of the males in culture Y, because, well that's just the way its supposed to be, its what they have seen and been accustomed to for all their lives.....well, the rest is left up to your ability to put 2 and 2 together.....one culture sees this as normal and acceptable behavior, the other sees it as "if my daddy finds out I'm $hit out of luck so I had better scream "rape !"   Moral of the story, two different cultures can see the exact same event and have totally different opinions as to whether its acceptable behavior or not
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ghg1

Quote from: rubmyHOG on September 09, 2009, 10:31:02 am
I am starting to really dislike our basketball program, and everything it stands for right now

Fixed.

StreetThief99

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on September 09, 2009, 10:27:06 am
Ok I will ask the obvious question
which 3 players?

Don't. We should not want to know unless charges are filed.
Quote from: Shocktheman on September 25, 2010, 07:33:57 am
Guys Im outnumbered here at FOB Sharana. . .Taliban outside the wire and Bama fans inside!  Send Hogs fans with beer immediately!

mizzouman

Quote from: hogansas on September 09, 2009, 10:29:01 am
I'm sure Pelphrey didn't condone it.  Can't blame him for other's stupidity.  Is it Petrino's fault that Mallett got in trouble earlier?  I know it's much different circumstances, but a coach can't make decisions for his players.  They are ultimately responsible for themselves.

I agree unless it's a continuous problem, then you have to look at the coach and what kind of kids he's recruiting.  If it's a one time deal, then you can't blame the coach.

RAMhawg

Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have a few more scholarships available if the allegations are true.  I like the scholarships, but this looks terrible for our program.  National news for sure.  Dang, just when things are looking so good for the football program.

donewithdale

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 09, 2009, 10:31:26 am
Pel recruited a bunch of losers as human beings, of course some blame goes to him.

Nolan did as well.  But they won on the court. 

Lets wait and see what the story is before condemning them.  If true, the judicial system will hopefully punish them and it will give us more of a reason to focus on what is happening with football recruiting, our great baseball program and Spring football practice.  UK can have basketball and be like one of those little pansy private schools in the Northeast. 

Clint Alan

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 09, 2009, 10:32:52 am
Pel recruits thugs and academic casualties. Time to fire the coach... NOW not in March

I agree.....No more of my money, and no more of me will be having anything to do with Arkansas Basketball until this program is back in line...

This is just embarrasing.....Pelphrey has not had control of this program since he stepped foot on campus....
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

donewithdale

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 09, 2009, 10:32:52 am
Pel recruits thugs and academic casualties. Time to fire the coach... NOW not in March

So did Nolan.  But Pel isn't winning.

cosmodrum

It's to the point that I'd just rather close down the Bud, stop playing basketball, and spend the money on football and other things. Every time it remotely looks like we're on the right track, the program gets kicked in the balls. I cannot fathom how our bball program can get back to anything close to what it was.
Go away, batin'

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HawgAlude on September 09, 2009, 10:21:16 am

I think he may be in over his head running this college basketball program.  Definitely not his fault, and there was a similar incident back in the Nolan days that I believe ended up being covered up to a degree or made to go away.  I feel sorry for Pel more than anything.  He's giving 100%, trying to do what's right etc.  I hope he makes it through.  I hope if the players are guilty they are punished to the full extent of the law.  I hope if they are innocent that they can move past this as well. 

You know after the Duke debacle the Prosecuting attorney is going to look long and hard at all the facts and not file charges unless they are pretty sure that a crime took place.  I know there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty but if charges are filed I would say it does not look good.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

donewithdale

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 09, 2009, 10:37:48 am
It's to the point that I'd just rather close down the Bud, stop playing basketball, and spend the money on football and other things. Every time it remotely looks like we're on the right track, the program gets kicked in the balls. I cannot fathom how our bball program can get back to anything close to what it was.

Now this is the right idea.  Focus on what a D1 southern university should focus on and invest in - football and let baseball be our offseason pasttime till next football season. .

Feralhog

Quote from: mizzouman on September 09, 2009, 10:34:56 am
I agree unless it's a continuous problem, then you have to look at the coach and what kind of kids he's recruiting.  If it's a one time deal, then you can't blame the coach.

Define a one time deal.  Does it have to be them raping a coed or would a history of being in trouble and getting no punishment to speak of, be enough to blame the coach?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

donewithdale

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 09, 2009, 10:39:39 am
I am all for hiring Vandy's coach and let him recruit men of intelligence and character. I would prefer having Vandy type players who go 20-12 every year to rapists who win 25-30.

I'm in agreement with that.  I'm for a total overhaul of all of college basketball.  Let all of the AAU pros go play in Europe or Asia instead of college basketball, strictly enforce academic requirements and clean the sport up.  Problem is the last coach we hired who would have brought us dignity ran away screaming.  Hopefully Long can try again if it is necessary. 

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Razors85 on September 09, 2009, 10:31:24 am
Wow, just wow

How hard is it to click on JUMP BALL? It is there for basketball related news.

But who checks for basketball news (besides recruiting... which is a different forum anyway), during the middle of football season?

donewithdale

Quote from: 2ndhogmendmet on September 09, 2009, 10:40:53 am
Nolan had control of all his players.  Pel does not even have their respect.  He needs to be fired or resign now.  Or we can wait until we lose 20 games this year then fire him.

I was at the UA during this time and was close to the basketball program and witnessed firsthand the 'control'.  Lets not sugarcoat it.  Nolan won.  And just like now, there were some great guys who played for Nolan so I am certainly not meaning to taint their rep just as some current players don't deserve this. 

Feralhog

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on September 09, 2009, 10:43:05 am
But who checks for basketball news (besides recruiting... which is a different forum anyway), during the middle of football season?

Chill, We aren't moving the thread to jumpball
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

1CavHog

mizzouman

Quote from: Feralhog on September 09, 2009, 10:39:24 am
Define a one time deal.  Does it have to be them raping a coed or would a history of being in trouble and getting no punishment to speak of, be enough to blame the coach?

Depends.  If a coach recruits a kid knowing that he's been in trouble with the law numerous times before, then the coach gets what he deserves if that kid commits another crime while on his team.  That's a different story.

If a coach recruits a kid, that by all circumstances, is a good kid and he commits a crime while on his team, then the coach can hardly be blamed for that single incident, UNLESS, those types of things continue to happen to his players regardless of how well behaved they were in high school.

If the kids that allegedly committed this crime were good kids and this was the ONLY incident that has happened under Pelphrey's watch, then Pelphrey can hardly be responsible for this.  However, if this has happened before under Phelphrey's watch, then that's troublesome.

Hopefully that made sense, but it's hard to explain on a message board.

Hawgon

I was on campus during the Todd Day rape deal and it definitely didn't get shoved under the rug.  Eventually, the prosecutor decided not to file charges because the woman's story was terribly inconsistent and crazy, but it wasn't shoved under the rug.

And things were different with Nolan.  Sure, some of those guys got in trouble from time to time, but they definitely feared Nolan.  These guys don't seem to respect Pelphrey at all.

I'm not really sure what we do.  At some point, I just want the embarrassment to stop, both on and off the court.

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

mizzouman

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 09, 2009, 10:39:39 am
I am all for hiring Vandy's coach and let him recruit men of intelligence and character. I would prefer having Vandy type players who go 20-12 every year to rapists who win 25-30.

I agree. I'd rather go 21-12 each year then have players doing 10-20.

pigsiouxie

Quote from: donewithdale on September 09, 2009, 10:35:28 am
Nolan did as well.  But they won on the court. 

Lets wait and see what the story is before condemning them.  If true, the judicial system will hopefully punish them and it will give us more of a reason to focus on what is happening with football recruiting, our great baseball program and Spring football practice.  UK can have basketball and be like one of those little pansy private schools in the Northeast.
easy on the  thug talk guys... innocent til proven guilty, right?

and easy on Nolan.. i hate how he left, but hey, he brought home the hardware

Hawgndaaz

I am not buying it until the facts come out.

Girls get drunk at fraternity houses all the time, make bad decisions, and then try to blame others.

If they are guilty, throw em in jail. I just find it hard to believe, similar to the Duke thing.

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 09, 2009, 10:46:50 am

Amen to this.  but still........S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Big Papa Satan

pigsiouxie

oops left this out:

now if we want to get rid of Pel based on performance , let er rip!

donewithdale

Quote from: pigsiouxie on September 09, 2009, 10:46:50 am

I agree and it is why I posted earlier lets wait and see what happens before condemning.  Obviously something unfortunate very well could have happened whether 'legal' or not.

hog_fan

Thugs-Simply as that. Read a post on twitter by one of our players and he all but admitted to it. Public info that anyone can and probably still can read.

Marshfieldhog

Yeah, let's blame the girl. I think I'm going to blame the thugs pel brought in.

Feralhog

Quote from: mizzouman on September 09, 2009, 10:45:37 am
Depends.  If a coach recruits a kid knowing that he's been in trouble with the law numerous times before, then the coach gets what he deserves if that kid commits another crime while on his team.  That's a different story.

If a coach recruits a kid, that by all circumstances, is a good kid and he commits a crime while on his team, then the coach can hardly be blamed for that single incident, UNLESS, those types of things continue to happen to his players regardless of how well behaved they were in high school.

If the kids that allegedly committed this crime were good kids and this was the ONLY incident that has happened under Pelphrey's watch, then Pelphrey can hardly be responsible for this.  However, if this has happened before under Phelphrey's watch, then that's troublesome.

Hopefully that made sense, but it's hard to explain on a message board.

In other words, if there's never been a history of the player(s) causing problems, then we could hardly hold the coach responsible.  HOWEVER, if there's a history of trouble and we simply ignored it, then the coach should be held responsible.

I agree

kimjongsqUeAl

- Thomas Jefferson

- God

Hawgon

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 09, 2009, 10:47:36 am
I am not buying it until the facts come out.

Girls get drunk at fraternity houses all the time, make bad decisions, and then try to blame others.

If they are guilty, throw em in jail. I just find it hard to believe, similar to the Duke thing.

One thing is different nowadays than it used to be, I can guarantee you if there were three guys involved, at least one of them took a video on his cell phone.  There will be that at least to go by.

donewithdale

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 09, 2009, 10:50:12 am
Yeah, let's blame the girl. I think I'm going to blame the thugs pel brought in.

Lets not blame anyone yet.  But you can't help yourself because you rarely post anything other than fire Pelphrey. 

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: hog_fan on September 09, 2009, 10:50:12 am
Thugs-Simply as that. Read a post on twitter by one of our players and he all but admitted to it. Public info that anyone can and probably still can read.

Come again?  There is info on Twitter that says they admitted to it??  WTH!
- Thomas Jefferson

- God

chiefsfan

the problem is that no one really knows what is going on.  Yes there are rumors of players getting in trouble.  But there have been no media leaks to speak of for the incident.  so the only place it popped up is on the message boards which obviously isnt a source

I dont really think you can blame the coach for a rape charge...  I tend to think the players knew what would happen to them should they get caught
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.