Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC/Hogs Weekend Review: Comparisons

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 07, 2009, 10:45:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

September 07, 2009, 05:53:51 pm #50 Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:56:16 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 07, 2009, 02:21:29 pm
Jefferson looked like what he was:  A young sophomore leading his team for the first time.  He looked very good at times, but was inconsistent, which is to be expected.

If he improves as he goes along LSU is going to be a very, very tough team to beat this fall.

Not if the LSU defense keeps giving up as much as 478 yards of offense per game. That will
result in a number of losses. Any time an SEC team gives up well over 300 yards passing
no matter who the opponent is there are some serious issues in the secondary.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Melorock089

Quote from: ErieHog on September 07, 2009, 11:46:22 am
You can't go 0-15 with a 12 game schedule.  Nobody's that bad.

Whoops, thanks. Fixed

MuskogeeHogFan

September 08, 2009, 05:33:03 am #52 Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:51:30 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: want2be on September 07, 2009, 02:21:54 pm

I heard Gus interviewed today and he stated they wanted to be a run first offense, but like Petrino, he will take what the defense gives him. He stated that the biggest issue is depth at the skilled positions but he did not go into specific details. Probably losing 2 receivers to injury (like we have now with Miller and Crawford) would hurt them much more than us.

I think they will make more noise this year than most expected IF they can stay healthy enough.
Lack of depth can be a killa to a lot of teams. Todd is about all Auburn has to run their offense and he was essentially their only QB for the entire game. They still gave Burns about 8 carries for 23 yards and a TD on Saturday, but he had one attempt for zero completions on Saturday. If Todd goes down, they will be in real trouble.

We are going to know a great deal more about Auburn and Miss State after the two meet this coming weekend at Auburn. I'll be watching that game with some interest just to guage the competition. We'll also get to see Vandy at LSU, Tennessee with UCLA in Knoxville and Georgia entertains S. Carolina. We should learn a lot about these teams this weekend while the Hogs take a break and prepare for Georgia.

And look at Ole Miss. Snead looked more like the product of average focus than a projected Heisman contender. But that was one game, we'll see how he comes back after a week layoff.

On defense, one would think it would be great when any player on your defense makes 15 tackles, but when it is one of your safeties and your LB's were supposed to be one of your strongsuits? When your last line of defense has to make that many tackles either you faced a "pass-happy" offense(which Memphis is not) or your secondary was forced to come up quickly to support a weaker than expected DL and LB's. I thought the Ole Miss defense and DL in particular was supposed to be one of their strengths? What happens when they face someone with a REAL offense?

And LSU with a new DC in former Tennessee DC John Chavis. They hoped for a return to the LSU defense of the past. Long trip or not, new DC or not, they looked soft to a degree allowing all those yards. I bet there is a LOT of talk in Baton Rouge right now and not necessarily celebrating their road win.

Lots of questions came up this weekend across the conference. I can't wait to find out if it was just the usual first week sluggishness or an indicator of something bigger.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFan in Afghan

IMO we fit in well with the rest of the SEC against "rent-a-win" teams.

I still can't get over how good it feels to see Arkansas offensive numbers like that

Thank you Petrino.

WPS!

Killean

Auburn was only up 13-10 at the half and basically 2/3rds of their offensive production came in the 2nd half.  The fact that their production was run heavy against a team that they knew they could run on underscores their offensive problems.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Killean on September 08, 2009, 06:01:24 am
Auburn was only up 13-10 at the half and basically 2/3rds of their offensive production came in the 2nd half.  The fact that their production was run heavy against a team that they knew they could run on underscores their offensive problems.

But again, you take what your opponent gives you. We faced 8-9 man lines so we threw the ball, a lot.

They faced a team that gave them the run, so they ran. First week out of the chutes with a new OC & DC vs. a team that many on here and around the country predicted would upset Auburn?

I'm not sure that I could say that anything underscores their offensive problems when they generated 526 yards of total offense. This is the same team that only generated about 450 yards of total offense against UT-Martin and only 350 yds vs. UL-Monroe last year.

Like it or not, they seem improved, but we will see more this weekend.
Go Hogs Go!

Conway Cool Daddy

I don't believe that Auburn is the team that we thought they were.
They will not be the gimme that we initially believed they would be.

I knew they would have a solid defense, but was surprised they put together such a good offensive outing.

The SEC West is going to be a dog fight. I'm not ready to hand the crown to Bama just yet. They did look really good though.

keithh1999

I'm glad we are in the SEC...and I'm glad that we have a head coach that is either equal to or better than most of the other coaches in the conference.

But let's not forget the old "coachspeak"... the most improvement is made between the first and second games.

If that is true, then the correct barometer will be after the next two weeks. I think this is going to be an extremely exciting year -- can't wait for GA.

Pig Farmers are cool.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 08, 2009, 07:17:57 am
I don't believe that Auburn is the team that we thought they were.
They will not be the gimme that we initially believed they would be.

I knew they would have a solid defense, but was surprised they put together such a good offensive outing.

The SEC West is going to be a dog fight. I'm not ready to hand the crown to Bama just yet. They did look really good though.

I agree with this. I also think that Tenner is better than we thought they would be, Kentucky too, S. Carolina& Vandy...same good defense...stinkin it up offensively and just the opposite for LSU. Ch...ch...changes....time to make a change.....gonna be an interesting season.
Go Hogs Go!

HotlantaHog

It's hard to draw any definitive conclusions since it's impossible  to know how good or bad the competition was during week 1 -- for even Virginia Tech, Washington and Oklahoma State, no one really knows how good they will are. We know how they were last year only, but things change.

While Arkansas's performance was encouraging, there WERE some warning signs: defense was spotty at times, special teams were very disappointing, and the ability to make short yardage at the goal line was not good. I have 100% confidence in Petrino, but if I didn't there would be some red flags there.

Alabama got an important win, and you can read that as a big plus, at this point in the season. Georgia took an important loss AND struggled to a degree that it suggests there are some real problems this year in Athens. (I have great confidence in Richt to get things fixed, but this could be a rebuilding year.)

Ole Miss struggled to a degree that suggests a No. 6 ranking may not be warranted, but it is hard to know more than that. TCTWF is a good motivator and has some fine players left over from Coach Os' regime -- just the combination that could create fireworks. While it is fun to think about a meltdown, it is also very possible to get a recovery and a very fine year (probably followed by a meltdown NEXT year.)

LSU was playing after midnight in the longest road trip ever against a team that had been horrible in past years, but who knows what it means? I'd give them a pass and wait for more evidence.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 08, 2009, 04:42:24 pm
It's hard to draw any definitive conclusions since it's impossible  to know how good or bad the competition was during week 1 -- for even Virginia Tech, Washington and Oklahoma State, no one really knows how good they will are. We know how they were last year only, but things change.

While Arkansas's performance was encouraging, there WERE some warning signs: defense was spotty at times, special teams were very disappointing, and the ability to make short yardage at the goal line was not good. I have 100% confidence in Petrino, but if I didn't there would be some red flags there.

Alabama got an important win, and you can read that as a big plus, at this point in the season. Georgia took an important loss AND struggled to a degree that it suggests there are some real problems this year in Athens. (I have great confidence in Richt to get things fixed, but this could be a rebuilding year.)

Ole Miss struggled to a degree that suggests a No. 6 ranking may not be warranted, but it is hard to know more than that. TCTWF is a good motivator and has some fine players left over from Coach Os' regime -- just the combination that could create fireworks. While it is fun to think about a meltdown, it is also very possible to get a recovery and a very fine year (probably followed by a meltdown NEXT year.)

LSU was playing after midnight in the longest road trip ever against a team that had been horrible in past years, but who knows what it means? I'd give them a pass and wait for more evidence.

Here's what we do know and can be easily surmised:
1) Alabama vs. Va Tech-Tyrod Taylor completed 57% of his passes last year for 1036 yards and about 3.8 yards per completion. A passing QB he is not, but in his defense the Alabama front 7 kept pressure on him all night(6 tackles for loss yards and 4 sacks. That also tells me that their O-Line isn't as good as last year replacing 2 of 5 starters including the key position of Center. Even in terms of rushing he had only 26 yards, but had 52 yards in losses(some of those being sacks-38 yards). Still Tech led Alabama 17-16 going into the 4th quarter. At 12:51 of the 4th Alabama went 54 yards in two plays to narrow the score. The next series, Va Tech fumbled giving Alabama the ball on the Va Tech 21 and even though their defense stiffened, Alabama kicked a FG. Tech answered with a 37 yard two play drive for a TD and Alabama came right back with a 5 play, 74 yard drive to answer with another TD.

Beginning with the 4th quarter Alabama stepped it up and mroe than answered anything that Tech tried. As much as I hate to say it, they played as you would expect a top 5 team to play. If Tech had a better QB and a less porous O-Line vs. a pretty tough Alabama defense, it might have been a different story, but it wasn't. McElroy was just what he was supposed to be: a bus driver essentially. He had a completion percentage of just 50% while throwing for 230 yards, 1 td and 1 INT. Bama rushed for 268, Tech for a total of 64 yards.

Tech will probably do well in the ACC this year. Alabama is capable of doing very well in the SEC and they look like the team to beat in the West. I think a lot can be taken from many of these games if you looker deeper than the score or talking about how far a team had to travel. This is just one game, and I think it told quite a lot.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on September 08, 2009, 06:54:15 pm
Bama was very PHYSICAL in the last 22 minutes of the Tech game and Tech was worn out. I'm not sure how our defense will withstand the Muscle of Bama?

That's a true statement. Bama brought the wood in the 4th and took command. Tech gave it their best, but they didn't have enough. I know, call me crazy, but I think we have a good shot at Alabama and we know they are physical, so we best be ready to play a full 60 minutes all-out. If we are, it will be a great game and maybe one that goes down in Hog history. I think both teams better bring their sack lunches because it is going to be a long, hard fight. We have to find some answers before then(and before Georgia for that matter) but my money is on BP and the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 08, 2009, 07:03:35 pm
That's a true statement. Bama brought the wood in the 4th and took command. Tech gave it their best, but they didn't have enough. I know, call me crazy, but I think we have a good shot at Alabama and we know they are physical, so we best be ready to play a full 60 minutes all-out. If we are, it will be a great game and maybe one that goes down in Hog history. I think both teams better bring their sack lunches because it is going to be a long, hard fight. We have to find some answers before then(and before Georgia for that matter) but my money is on BP and the Hogs.

I'm a believer in our defense, at least in the fact they've improved.  Obviously our offense has improved.  But I have to be realistic.  I don't see any way we've improved THAT much since last year to go down there and beat them, considering it looks to me like they've also improved.  And that I did not expect.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

UnLedded

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 08, 2009, 08:32:16 pm
I don't see any way we've improved THAT much since last year to go down there and beat them, considering it looks to me like they've also improved.

Yep.  Did anyone actually WATCH Saturday's game?  We may be 'bedder'...but a good OC with good athletes will make us have to outscore them...as we thought all along.

'Bama  -  Offense is better than the experts think
Auburn - A sleeper
MSU  -  Trap game minus two touchdowns
Ole Miss  -  Prolly our [CENSORED]
LSU  -  Their defense will be fine...offense under const.

MuskogeeHogFan

September 09, 2009, 07:21:34 pm #64 Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:24:59 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 08, 2009, 08:32:16 pm
I'm a believer in our defense, at least in the fact they've improved.  Obviously our offense has improved.  But I have to be realistic.  I don't see any way we've improved THAT much since last year to go down there and beat them, considering it looks to me like they've also improved.  And that I did not expect.

I can see where you might think that way, but let's not give too much weight to the Va Tech game. Their offense wasn't that great last year(103rd) and it was only slightly better vs. Bama this year(something like 98th). Not that great of a challenge to a defense like Alabama's. Conversley, Tech's defense wasn't all that bad last year(7th), but they gave up a lot to Alabama especially in the 4th quarter and as I recall it seemed like an awful lot of Tech players were being carried off with cramps(sign of a lack of early conditioning/lack of hydration?).

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Alabama didn't look good...they looked as good as last year to me, but not a lot better than last year.

So while I am not ready to proclaim us to be surefire "giant killers", I do think we have improved enough on offense that we can challenge darned near anyone we play, and hopefully our defense will just get that 20% improvement that we need so badly. If we get that, we may win a lot of these foot races in terms of scoring. Bama may have some "hoss's" up front and in the backfield and even at WR, but McElroy is a temporary bus driver of the Alabama offense until they can find a real playmaker. He is serviceable, a transition man who makes few mistakes, but not big plays...and that is exactly what a bus driver does in allowing the talent around him to make the big plays.

Alabama can't just focus on us because they remember how they squeaked by Kentucky(who they play after us) just 17-14 last year and that was in Alabama. This year, they have to go to Lexington. It isn't like they can just focus on us, so that will be in our favor. Unfortunately, they have Florida Intl and N. Texas before us and I assure you that Satan(er, uh, I mean Saban ;) ) respects Petrino's ability to provide a challenging game plan.

All that being said, we have the Georgia game to help us mature more and work out more wrinkles before we take on the Tide. I think we will be ready and make a game of it, even if we do lose. It won't be like last year, at least in my opinion. And you just never know when lightning might strike and the ball takes that funny bounce in our favor.
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: want2be on September 07, 2009, 02:21:54 pm
I heard Gus interviewed today and he stated they wanted to be a run first offense, but like Petrino, he will take what the defense gives him. He stated that the biggest issue is depth at the skilled positions but he did not go into specific details. Probably losing 2 receivers to injury (like we have now with Miller and Crawford) would hurt them much more than us.

I think they will make more noise this year than most expected IF they can stay healthy enough.

I just watched the Auburn - La Tech game, and I can see why Gus would want them to be a run first team!!

They've got some issues on offense:

1. I didn't see anybody at WR they could contribute in that offense.

2. The only guy they had who could get open was Fannin, who is like an H back, I think.  He's the only guy who did anything at all.  Get that guy covered in that game and Auburn doesn zilch in the passing game.

3. Their QB is definitely limited in what he can do.  He lacks accuracy.  He lacks arm strength.  With him they have no vertical passing game.

Plus, if Todd gets hurt, which is likely with the running that offense asks him to do from time to time, they are up that famous creek with zero paddles.

The talent on that team is in the run blocking of that O line, and the running of Tate and that other kid, and the pass catching of Fannin. 

I think SEC defenses will be able to game plan for their serious limitations and I will be shocked if they score many points in conference because of this.

I will add this:  It's a shame Kodi Burns didn't go to an option team, like GT or Navy or something.  He'd be something to watch if he could work in such an offense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 09, 2009, 08:24:38 pm
I just watched the Auburn - La Tech game, and I can see why Gus would want them to be a run first team!!

They've got some issues on offense:

1. I didn't see anybody at WR they could contribute in that offense.

2. The only guy they had who could get open was Fannin, who is like an H back, I think.  He's the only guy who did anything at all.  Get that guy covered in that game and Auburn doesn zilch in the passing game.

3. Their QB is definitely limited in what he can do.  He lacks accuracy.  He lacks arm strength.  With him they have no vertical passing game.

Plus, if Todd gets hurt, which is likely with the running that offense asks him to do from time to time, they are up that famous creek with zero paddles.

The talent on that team is in the run blocking of that O line, and the running of Tate and that other kid, and the pass catching of Fannin. 

I think SEC defenses will be able to game plan for their serious limitations and I will be shocked if they score many points in conference because of this.

I will add this:  It's a shame Kodi Burns didn't go to an option team, like GT or Navy or something.  He'd be something to watch if he could work in such an offense.

I'll grant you that they had few to spread the ball around to, but the few they passed to did o.k. Yeah, Fannin had 82 yds in receptions on 8 catches, but Zachery had 98 yds on 3 catches(one being 93 yds), Adams had 4 for 65 yards, and Tate only had 2 for 10 yards.

But even our own BP says he will take whatever the defense gives him and ironically, that is pretty much what Gus says as well. Why throw when they are loaded for it and leave the run(301 net yards) open to you? It isn't that he wants them to be a "run first" team, just like BP he is a "I'll capitalize on whatever they give me" kind of coach.

I know, some of us on here either could care less or openly hope that Gus fails. I am not one of those anymore than I wish that any player from Arkansas that didn't decide to come to Arkansas, fails. I wish them all well and every success, except when they play us.

Many don't want to see Gus succeed at Auburn. As I said, I hope he does well, except against us. Many take pride that Arkansas spawned the likes of Bear Bryant, though he never was a HC at Arkansas, he remains the pride of Fordyce.

Auburn played well last weekend with a slow start. They seem to be improved. I don't care what they are as long as we beat them and the tougher they are prior to getting to us and the more attention they draw, the better for us.

I'm pulling for everyone to win, until they get to us...well, except maybe for Bama. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 09, 2009, 10:08:38 pm
Auburn played well last weekend with a slow start. They seem to be improved. I don't care what they are as long as we beat them and the tougher they are prior to getting to us and the more attention they draw, the better for us.

I thought La Tech kind of handed AU that game.  Early in the second half after Tech got that turnover, they looked to me like they had Auburn on their heels, doubting themselves a little.  Then the kid made a bad decision and threw the INT.  That seems to bring life back into Auburn.

If that kid stays patient and they continue to drive down, that game could have very well turned.  Auburn could have still won, obviously, but it would have been much closer.

hawgsav1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 07, 2009, 01:44:48 pm
The Auburn question has been raised in another thread. What is our collective opinion based on their first week numbers?

From looking at the numbers alone, I was really impressed with Auburn's offense.  Louisiana Tech isn't a pushover the many of the other SEC opponents were.  Derek Dooley has them on the right track.  However, I watched the game film a few days ago and I will say that I was not as impressed watching the film.  There were plenty of miscues, and I think the entire game boiled down to the fact that Auburn had more talent and depth.  Louisiana Tech played pretty good football, but just got tired down the stretch and made some miscues.  Auburn will be improved, but not by much.  That being said, they are a talented but VERY inconsistent team.  I could see them get an upset or two here and there, but they'll lose to some lesser talented team that plays them in a disciplined manner.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hawgsav1

Quote from: ErieHog on September 07, 2009, 01:04:21 pm
Oregon State has huge, huge issues up front.    They won this weekend, but their starters gave up two sacks to a truly awful Portland State team.     They could easily plummet to just above Washington State.

I think you're overstating OSU's losses on the front line.  Yeah, they did give up those two sacks, but they still return 3/5 on the O-line, including the entire right side.  Yeah they may have trouble protecting Lyle Moevao's blind side, but OSU will rely more on Jacquizz Rodgers more than anything.  After what I saw out of Oregon vs. Boise State, I don't think Oregon will be that good unless they REALLY improve on both sides of the ball.  Oregon is undersized on defense, and their offense is inept.  I say OSU wins the Civil War this year and will be one of the only teams to potentially contend with USC for the Pac-10 title (though I don't see it happening this year). 

I'm just not convinced on Cal either.  Too many Red Zone mistakes in his playcalling for my taste.

ErieHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on September 09, 2009, 10:52:24 pm
I think you're overstating OSU's losses on the front line.  Yeah, they did give up those two sacks, but they still return 3/5 on the O-line, including the entire right side.  Yeah they may have trouble protecting Lyle Moevao's blind side, but OSU will rely more on Jacquizz Rodgers more than anything.  After what I saw out of Oregon vs. Boise State, I don't think Oregon will be that good unless they REALLY improve on both sides of the ball.  Oregon is undersized on defense, and their offense is inept.  I say OSU wins the Civil War this year and will be one of the only teams to potentially contend with USC for the Pac-10 title (though I don't see it happening this year). 

I'm just not convinced on Cal either.  Too many Red Zone mistakes in his playcalling for my taste.

Boise is a very good football team-- better than anything Oregon will face in the Pac-10 outside of USC, and perhaps Cal.    Cal is always a danger to implode, though.

OSU is starting a freshman at LT; the 'third starter' among the 3 returnees is a guy who got beat out for the starting job last year, mid season.  That doesn't bode well for the Beavers at all.   

Can they win some games in a weak year for the Pac-10?  Sure.  I just don't buy them over Oregon just yet.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

DenverHogFan

Quote from: Melorock089 on September 07, 2009, 11:42:04 am

Georgia - Losing Stafford and Moreno, having key Oline and Defense injuries, the fact that we have a bye week and it's a home game? I like our chances.

Been looking for the right place to ask this - I think this is it since Muskogee is checking back on his own thread so often:

What is our record after our bye week?  I know it's a different era now, but I FEEL like we ALWAYS lose the next game.  I still think we're going to beat Georgia, but that aspect alone makes me nervous.

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on September 07, 2009, 11:34:05 am
Yep, hopefully LSU' will be getting torched all year...

Seems to me Lester has the bayou bengals going backwards.
thats what I keep hearing people say, but yet he is in the thick of things, year in and year out
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DenverHogFan on September 10, 2009, 01:54:14 am
Been looking for the right place to ask this - I think this is it since Muskogee is checking back on his own thread so often:

What is our record after our bye week?  I know it's a different era now, but I FEEL like we ALWAYS lose the next game.  I still think we're going to beat Georgia, but that aspect alone makes me nervous.

I believe it is about 5-6 since 1998, but you are right, it is a new era and since the new era is like the difference between night and day, I am not sure how relevant that may be? Still, there it is.
Go Hogs Go!

LSPRazorbac

First off--LSU will be much better than what they showed against Wash.  Remember they had NO FILM to prepare with.  Also remember Jefferson is a true soph. in only his 3rd career start he will improve.

Secondly--I'm not sold on Auburn.  I think they will be a Jekyll and Hyde type team.  They will look good at times and bad at times.  I'm not sure they can play well for 4 straight quarters.

La Tech gave them all they wanted in the 1st half.  Tech QB completed all 10 of his first 10 passes and 12 of his first 15.  In the second half, La Tech let the pressure get to them and began pressing.  Todd still has a wet noodle for an arm.  I was not impressed with him throwing out routes.  I predict he will have at least 2 pick sixes thrown on out routes this year.

hawgsav1

Quote from: ErieHog on September 10, 2009, 01:38:11 am
Boise is a very good football team-- better than anything Oregon will face in the Pac-10 outside of USC, and perhaps Cal.    Cal is always a danger to implode, though.

OSU is starting a freshman at LT; the 'third starter' among the 3 returnees is a guy who got beat out for the starting job last year, mid season.  That doesn't bode well for the Beavers at all.  

Can they win some games in a weak year for the Pac-10?  Sure.  I just don't buy them over Oregon just yet.

I agree that Boise is a spectacularly good team, but any team with an offense supposedly as explosive as Oregon's should be able to get more than zero first downs against Boise's defense in the first half.  Combine that with Boise State's miscues and turnovers, there is no reason Oregon shouldn't have had a little more success with that offense of theirs.  Granted, they passed the ball much more than they should have, but even still that was embarrassing.  I just don't see how they can go from having such a miserable night at Boise to going back to being as explosive as they were for a large portion of last year when they enter Pac-10 play.  Chip Kelly seems a bit in over his head as HC.  That's one of the reasons that I don't really buy Oregon.

ErieHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on September 10, 2009, 09:49:21 am
I agree that Boise is a spectacularly good team, but any team with an offense supposedly as explosive as Oregon's should be able to get more than zero first downs against Boise's defense in the first half.  Combine that with Boise State's miscues and turnovers, there is no reason Oregon shouldn't have had a little more success with that offense of theirs.  Granted, they passed the ball much more than they should have, but even still that was embarrassing.  I just don't see how they can go from having such a miserable night at Boise to going back to being as explosive as they were for a large portion of last year when they enter Pac-10 play.  Chip Kelly seems a bit in over his head as HC.  That's one of the reasons that I don't really buy Oregon.

They really don't need to be as explosive as last year, to experience the same kind  of success in a year where the PAc-10 as a whole has taken a step backwards.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

razorsharptusk

September 10, 2009, 03:27:24 pm #77 Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:30:09 pm by razorsharptusk
I believe the success of the Hogs lies on the offensive lines shoulders.  We are a strong passing team.  Havn't seen much run as of yet.  You better believe the other teams are going to start going after Mallet in the back field.  This will test Mallet's mobility in the pocket and accuracy to complete passes on the move. I think he can do it, but not for every play. The 'O' line is going to have to be the backbone, as is usually the case on successful teams.  Of course if the running game is good, that will help balance the offense for sure.
GO HOGS!!

want2be

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 10, 2009, 03:27:24 pm
I believe the success of the Hogs lies on the offensive lines shoulders.  We are a strong passing team.  Havn't seen much run as of yet.  You better believe the other teams are going to start going after Mallet in the back field.  This will test Mallet's mobility in the pocket and accuracy to complete passes on the move. I think he can do it, but not for every play. The 'O' line is going to have to be the backbone, as is usually the case on successful teams.  Of course if the running game is good, that will help balance the offense for sure.

The Oline seems to understand the system this year. Oxner has done a good job of stepping into some big shoes and Petrus has been a great vocal leader. I think they will be much better at pass blocking and I think Mallett can made quicker reads and get rid the ball better. Also last year, M. Smith was the only really back as a pass blocker at 168 lbs.

With our ability to stretch the field with Mallett and the receivers, it will loosen up our running game and visa versa, our running game will be better with more size and depth will open up the passing game. With M.Smith, Johnson, and Wingo running the ball you don't need much of crease to get these guys past the line. I think everyone is focusing on 3rd and short when other steams stack the line......Petrino will have other answers for that than what is was trying against Mo. St.

This is going to be the most exciting offense the Hawgs fans have ever seen........Now Bobby, just find a kicker,please.

GuvHog

Quote from LSPRasorbac:

"LSU will be much better than what they showed against Wash.  Remember they had NO FILM to prepare with.  Also remember Jefferson is a true soph. in only his 3rd career start he will improve."

I had previously predicted that LSU wouldn't be much better than last year and
last Saturdays game against Washington is proof of that. Their QB still struggles
as he did last year but it's not a lack of experience, it's a lack of talent. He dosen't
perform well in pressure situations. LSU defensive weakness is the same as it was
last year, their secondary is very suspect and I don't expect it to improve unless
there are more talented players on the bench who eventually beat out the starters.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2009, 03:53:57 pm
Quote from LSPRasorbac:

"LSU will be much better than what they showed against Wash.  Remember they had NO FILM to prepare with.  Also remember Jefferson is a true soph. in only his 3rd career start he will improve."

last Saturdays game against Washington is proof of that. Their QB still struggles
as he did last year but it's not a lack of experience, it's a lack of talent. He dosen't
perform well in pressure situations. LSU defensive weakness is the same as it was
last year, their secondary is very suspect and I don't expect it to improve unless
there are more talented players on the bench who eventually beat out the starters.

I don't know Guv, when you examine that game, overall it doesn't look like LSU did all that much wrong. They gave up one fumble, no INT's and had very little negative yardage(8 yds) but had 8 tackles for loss and 2 sacks for -28 yards compared to Washington's 1 tackle for loss and 1 sack for -8 yards.

Jefferson had a meager completion percentage of 57.8%, 172 yds(15.6 yds. p/recep) with 1 INT for 3 TD's, but Locker only had 55% completions, 321 yards(12.8 yds p/recep) for 1 INT and 2 TD's. I didn't see the game, but looking at the numbers, there isn't anything that sticks out and says that LSU is unimproved over last year. I admit that Locker's 321 passing yards doesn't look good for the LSU secondary, and the fact that Washington held the ball for almost an entire quarter longer than LSU(13:44) didn't help in keeping their yardage down.

I too was initially surprised by that big passing yards number that Washington put up, but in retrospect, I don't think I am going to read as much into this as I first thought. This week LSU gets Vandy and that should tell us a lot about their offense anyway. A week from thsi weekend Washington gets USC and that should tell us a lot about how far Washington has come in terms of improvement.

In any case, I am not ready to pronounce LSU to be no better than last year.
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2009, 03:53:57 pm

I watched every play of that game, and I believe LSU is going to be really good this year.

As I mentioned earlier, Jefferson looked like a young QB and was inconsistent, but he also showed flashes of brilliance.  Considering it was the first game of the year in a hostile environment, I thought he did very well.

Although they did give up a lot of yardage in the passing game vs. UW, I also thought I saw much better coverage.  A lot of times LSU would get immediate pressure from the D line, only to lose contain on Locker (he is a legitimate 4.5 40 guy, btw, and a quality playmaker).  In his scrambling the LSU dbacks allowed the UW receivers to get free, often coming back to the ball.  But the coverage was pretty much always tight.  There weren't a lot of receivers running wide open across the field like you saw last year.

Miles talked about his D's poor tackling in the opening half, and that it got much better in the second, and that's what I saw as well.  I did see an awful lot of really big, fast athletes on that D, though.

I think Chavis has already had a positive impact, and I expect it to be even more as the season goes on.  Remember how our guys talked about their uncertainty with a new defense and how they got better as they got more familiar?  That's what I expect with LSU.

I think you're making a big mistake to write LSU off so early.  But we'll see.  It's going to be fun to watch!

Cure

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 07, 2009, 01:53:18 pm
The way I see it, Alabama and Florida are the only sure things in the SEC.  Arkansas MIGHT be the second best team in the West already.
Alabama is not a sure commodity.

As for LSU, once again, they'll be fine and rolling. Lafell and Tolliver will pick it up and their stocked backfield as well.

Anytime you start the season against a good coach with a returning starter at QB with plenty of experience, you're bound to take  a few yards on your defense. Chavis has not gottent he defense to gel yet and it was still a good showing, as they came up big when they needed to. The defense will be much improved by each week.

Auburn is a dangerous team, believe it.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

UAfanatic

They beat Bo Jacksons single game record..

and watching the games..
(all SEC games are at:
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/    )

Malzahn looks like he has free reign to put all of his philosophy from the book in place..

He wants to play fast.. it will be interesting to see how this innovation works out.

It is fun to watch..

Still.. We need to shut them down :)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cure on September 11, 2009, 09:00:45 am
Alabama is not a sure commodity.

If they're not, then the distance between where they are and being that sure commodity is hardly worth talking about.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 11, 2009, 11:01:06 am
If they're not, then the distance between where they are and being that sure commodity is hardly worth talking about.

Don't disagree, but someone will slip up on them this Fall, and I hope it is us.
Go Hogs Go!