Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama licking their chops

Started by mtownhog, September 06, 2009, 07:54:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mtownhog

Considering how Ole Miss played today and how LSU played last night Alabama has to be licking their chops.  In my opinion they will win the SEC West.

Porkys Revenge

pipehog

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 06, 2009, 07:56:47 pm
Petrino may be licking his chops.
You may be right. Alabama looks tough on D as usual, Their running game looked pretty good in the second half. I'm not sold on the new QB yet.

mtownhog

Quote from: pipehog on September 06, 2009, 08:02:59 pm
You may be right. Alabama looks tough on D as usual, Their running game looked pretty good in the second half. I'm not sold on the new QB yet.

I'm not sold on him either, he had a terrible first half. But you can succeed in the SEC if you can run the ball and play hard nosed defense.

psychopig

Seeing how Memphis ran on Ole Miss, Bama will roast them-a running game, a good coach, and a strong defense, plus Nutt's game managment issues.  People keep wanting to say that playing in oxford will make the difference.  I would not say it is worth much. 

hogmaniak10

unless we shore up our run D and special teams they will be licking their chops at us also.

phadedhawg

Alabama QB may hold them back from winning the SEC but their run game and defense will probably be enough to win the west. Ole Miss will lose several games they are expected to win this year. We could end up being a bigger threat to Bama than Ole Miss this year.

BamaFreak

Not so fast, my friends.  (Gee, that sounds familiar.)  BAMA has some issues that need to be ironed out.  Everybody saw how a game can turnaround all at once last night when a kickoff return goes the other way for 98 yards.  Our special teams unit wasn't all that special last night and our safeties took some bad, bad angles in run support.  (Not to mention, we left a guy so wide open, there wasn't a defender within 10 yards of the receiver.)  When you have breakdowns of this magnitude, it doesn't matter if you have almost 500 yards to their 150.  They were in this thing til practically the end.  With Arkansas' high-powered offense, this one could be a real barn-burner.  Truthfully, I look for Arkansas to give us a tougher game than VA Tech did.  Just my two cents....

GuvHog

Quote from: hogmaniak10 on September 06, 2009, 08:06:19 pm
unless we shore up our run D and special teams they will be licking their chops at us also.

What Th???

Do you not realize the the Hogs just held a team to under 100 yards rushing????
That's something they didn't do last year. I don't believe the run defense will be
a problem.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ki285

bama freak what was the final stats for v-techs qb.  i didnt get to see much of the game but i saw where at 1 time in the 4th he only had like 98 yds passing. was bamas pass d that good or was the v tech qb that bad last night.  how do you see bamas d matching up with our wideouts and mallett?
Quote from: BamaFreak on September 06, 2009, 08:28:48 pm
Not so fast, my friends.  (Gee, that sounds familiar.)  BAMA has some issues that need to be ironed out.  Everybody saw how a game can turnaround all at once last night when a kickoff return goes the other way for 98 yards.  Our special teams unit wasn't all that special last night and our safeties took some bad, bad angles in run support.  (Not to mention, we left a guy so wide open, there wasn't a defender within 10 yards of the receiver.)  When you have breakdowns of this magnitude, it doesn't matter if you have almost 500 yards to their 150.  They were in this thing til practically the end.  With Arkansas' high-powered offense, this one could be a real barn-burner.  Truthfully, I look for Arkansas to give us a tougher game than VA Tech did.  Just my two cents....

mtownhog

Quote from: BamaFreak on September 06, 2009, 08:28:48 pm
Truthfully, I look for Arkansas to give us a tougher game than VA Tech did.  Just my two cents....

I expect us to give yall a good game, but I'm not sure if our young team can go into Bryant-Denny Stadium and pull out a win.  I think Bama will beat both Ole Miss and LSU again and have a rematch against Florida in the SEC Championship game.

Coach Obvious

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 06, 2009, 08:36:34 pm
What Th???

That's something they didn't do last year. I don't believe the run defense will be
a problem.

GUV, we just held a 1AA team, and a bad one at that, to under 100 yds rushing.

The running attack and O-Line of an SEC team will be much, much tougher.

rzrbackrob

September 06, 2009, 08:53:12 pm #12 Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:56:22 pm by rzrbackrob
The only way a team beats Alabubba for the west is to beat them. Auburn and Misstake don't look to have the horses. Old P*ss and the Hogs must beat Bama and then hope Bama loses two other SEC games, because both teams will have at least three SEC loses. LSU must beat Bama and hope Bama loses another because while they have the talent to compete, they don't have the coach.
Good is the enemy of great

BamaFreak

Quote from: ki285 on September 06, 2009, 08:40:58 pm
bama freak what was the final stats for v-techs qb.  i didnt get to see much of the game but i saw where at 1 time in the 4th he only had like 98 yds passing. was bamas pass d that good or was the v tech qb that bad last night.  how do you see bamas d matching up with our wideouts and mallett?

Tyrod Taylor was 9 of 20 for 91 yards.  Truth be told, this guy is a horrible passer, same as last year.  I can't truthfully credit our defense with keeping this guy under wraps (unless you count containment.  He can't throw for schat, but he definitely has wheels.)  If our front 7 can get in Mallet's grill, our secondary will be able to do their jobs.  If we are unable to get pressure, I see Mallett throwing for 300+ yards easy.  We have experience back there, but no superstars.  Without support from the front, they will get burned all night.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorTusk14 on September 06, 2009, 08:52:37 pm
GUV, we just held a 1AA team, and a bad one at that, to under 100 yds rushing.

The running attack and O-Line of an SEC team will be much, much tougher.

I don't believe MO States offense was that bad. Their defense was suspect though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbackrob

Quote from: hogsfan1101 on September 06, 2009, 08:55:06 pm
?

EDIT: Nevermind, my comp I guess screwed up.

It was a long night last night. I'm old and not use to staying up past 10:00pm :)
Good is the enemy of great

MojaveJoe

Bama's qb was better last year. This new guy stinks...that being said, they ran over a very good VT defense. They will play smashmouth defense too. Do they have problems? Yes, their special teams aren't great and, like I mentioned, their passing team is limited. Nonetheless, if Arkansas gives bama a good game (not even win, just a good game) Arkansas will be very good. Bama is the class of the west until they prove otherwise - good defense and good running game wins games in any conference.

DeltaBoy

Yea Ark vs Bama could set the course for which one wins the West unless LSU rights the ship real quick.  The Monkey down in Baton Rouge is missing Bo real bad now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg Balling

September 08, 2009, 02:19:17 pm #18 Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:22:17 pm by Hawg Balling
Quote from: GUVHOG on September 06, 2009, 08:36:34 pm
What Th???

a problem.

I agree, but I'll hold my judgement of our run defense for when we play a more intimidating opponent.  Holding Missouri State under 100 yards rushing is hardly a barometer for how we will fair against Mark Ingram (who should probably be receiving Heisman hype) and Alabama's stable of backs.  Our pass defense is another story.  There were several plays against Missouri State where SEC receivers like A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Brandon LaFell, and others would have either made the catch or outrun our DBs for a touchdown.