Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dyers First Game

Started by athunt, September 01, 2009, 11:13:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthshoreBoar

September 02, 2009, 08:08:41 am #50 Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:15:22 am by BoaredatWork
This is my honest assessment of the game (since the topic is about his performance in the game):
Pros: a) He's very very shifty, b) great vision, c) quick burst
Cons: a) Poor attitude (unlike Mosely, he sat by himself on the bench with his helmet off...matt jones'esque b) out of shape (he was winded in the 1st quarter and he didn't play defense till the second half so that's no excuse) c) no contact (he would run 5 yard laterally just to get out of bounds...i found this odd on a few plays)  d) lack of leadership ( see bullet 'a', but he didn't even try to rally his team and he was the last guy walking to the huddle EVERY TIME)   e) focus (the guy got called for a false start twice in the first half but he started too fast on at least 10 plays....it was crazy that they didn't call it b/c everybody in the stands noticed...plus at WR you are supposed to watch the ball, not the snap count.  his head wasn't in the game at first.
f) takes plays off (every play not involving him he wasn't interested, one the interceptions he wouldn't even run after the guy

Anyway, that's my thoughts.  I still hope he comes to the Hill, but I'd prefer a better attitude.  I must admit that I'd take Matt Jones again, attitude an all.  (side note, Matt Jones was at the game and three seats behind me)
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on September 02, 2009, 07:57:43 am
You can only play 11 at a time.
True, but when guys play both ways the entire game they tend to get more winded.....
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

SPAL

so we in on any more good DT or LB's?

You wanna know the truth... i tip my hate to these college football coaches who have to put up with these shenanigans on a daily basis. I dont have the patience for it. I would have already told Dyer he no longer had an offer from the UofA....but thats why im not sittin in a padded chair makin money hand over fist babysitting these hooligans.

I stress....DT's and LB's...more and more depth. If Dyer comes, great...if not...lets give his spot to a LB

Eddie Piggard

I think this is a close description of how these recruits feel and how they are treated like Kings....
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

Michael Porkleone

Anyone have a pic of him with the Auburn sign?  I still have friends that don't believe it.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

gibby

Quote from: cointoss on September 02, 2009, 07:47:24 am
OAk Grove had 12 sophomores on the roster out of the total of 24+-.

What, so MD should just not play because the opponent isn't a 7A team with 200 players on the sideline? 

Some of the "thoughts" of people who post here are textbook examples of why Arkansas gets a bad rap.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: razorbackfan on September 01, 2009, 11:30:27 pm
Is it "classy" for a grown man/woman to call a kid in high school a clown. 
It's not "unclassy" to call a spade a spade either.

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: gibby on September 02, 2009, 08:57:20 am
What, so MD should just not play because the opponent isn't a 7A team with 200 players on the sideline? 

Some of the "thoughts" of people who post here are textbook examples of why Arkansas gets a bad rap.
No, his point was that the team was young and not that good and LRC barely beat them.  I was at the game, Dyer has the chance to be great (and I hope he becomes a Hog) but he played an uninspired game.  Smite if you must, but I prefer to call it like I see it.  I hope he turns the attitude around and has a great year..but I'm going to give my honest opinions on the performance and not always look through Dyer-colored glasses.

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 02, 2009, 09:01:57 am
No, his point was that the team was young and not that good and LRC barely beat them.  I was at the game, Dyer has the chance to be great (and I hope he becomes a Hog) but he played an uninspired game.  Smite if you must, but I prefer to call it like I see it.  I hope he turns the attitude around and has a great year..but I'm going to give my honest opinions on the performance and not always look through Dyer-colored glasses.
maybe he plays up or down to his competition......and I think it is good to be cocky at times, you don't want him being a puss

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on September 02, 2009, 09:06:00 am
maybe he plays up or down to his competition......and I think it is good to be cocky at times, you don't want him being a puss
Cocky is fine, lots of great players are cocky...uninspired and taking plays off are different than being cocky.  I'm truly not Anti-Dyer, but I know what I saw last night.

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 02, 2009, 09:11:42 am
Cocky is fine, lots of great players are cocky...uninspired and taking plays off are different than being cocky.  I'm truly not Anti-Dyer, but I know what I saw last night.
Ill have to trust you, as I wasn't there and I have no emotion invested on this kid or where he ends up, there are tons just like him that we probably have a better shot at

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

dc10x1103

Quote from: hawgwash on September 01, 2009, 11:20:58 pm
Don't give up so easily.  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
very good!!!!

NorthshoreBoar

Like I said, I really hope I'm not coming off as anti-dyer.  I'm not one of those guys that roots for in-state recruits to fail if they don't come to the UofA.  I was pumped to go see him play, I guess I was just a tad disappointed.  Either way, he obviously has crazy talent.

UAfan

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 02, 2009, 08:08:41 am
This is my honest assessment of the game (since the topic is about his performance in the game):
Cons: a) Poor attitude (unlike Mosely, he sat by himself on the bench with his helmet off...matt jones'esque b) out of shape (he was winded in the 1st quarter and he didn't play defense till the second half so that's no excuse) c) no contact (he would run 5 yard laterally just to get out of bounds...i found this odd on a few plays)  d) lack of leadership ( see bullet 'a', but he didn't even try to rally his team and he was the last guy walking to the huddle EVERY TIME)   e) focus (the guy got called for a false start twice in the first half but he started too fast on at least 10 plays....it was crazy that they didn't call it b/c everybody in the stands noticed...plus at WR you are supposed to watch the ball, not the snap count.  his head wasn't in the game at first.
f) takes plays off (every play not involving him he wasn't interested, one the interceptions he wouldn't even run after the guy

Anyway, that's my thoughts.  I still hope he comes to the Hill, but I'd prefer a better attitude.  I must admit that I'd take Matt Jones again, attitude an all.  (side note, Matt Jones was at the game and three seats behind me)

I'm going to precursor this by saying I think Dyer is a great talent and would love to see him at UA. 

You my friend are dead on.  Before the game Dyer wasn't participating in team drills, talking to fans by himself and separating himself from everyone else.  He wasn't interested in any plays that didn't involve him.

Saying all that Dyer is a special talent, but Petrino will just move on with someone else if Dyer continues to have that attitude.

Erockster20

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on September 02, 2009, 07:11:40 am
The comments in this thread are unbelievable. So Dyer is classless for holding up an Auburn sign. If that is his school of choice and not Arkansas he is classless. If after the game he led a Hog call he would be such a great kid and a true Hog.

Amazing how perceptions from different sides of the fence can be.

If he were in Oregon and it was between Auburn and Arkansas and he wanted to hold up that sign, go for it.  But as you should know, Arkansas is different.  We are a one school state and 90% of football fans here live and die by the hogs.  So to be the top player in a one school state, that everyone adores and wants to be a hog, you don't RUB it in their face that you want to go elsewhere. 

I really wish someone would pull this KID aside and let him know the bridges he is burning.  I know right now he may not care, but there may a day when he wants to come back to this state.

donewithdale

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on September 01, 2009, 11:25:55 pm
Didn't Damian do the gator chomp after S-Dale won the state title? You never know I guess but it sure doesn't sound good!

And should have stuck with that Florida decision.

NorthshoreBoar

donewithdale

Quote from: BoaredatWork on September 02, 2009, 08:08:41 am

Matt gave great effort everytime he was on the field in fact to a fault his last season as he tried to force too much and cost us.  Lets not compare him to spoiled prima donnas who have been given a free ride since the 5th grade because they can run with a football.  Looks like this is a good example of private school recruitment creating a sense of entitlement.  Let Gus and Auburn's OC after Gus deal with him. 

NorthshoreBoar

side note, but did anyone watch the Warren/Watson Chapel game?  WC had a safety, #19 that was popping guys.  I looked him up and he's a junior.  (see link)   Is anyone looking at him?

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/cpan5rts3U20ze9HLd9fRw/football-fall-09/profile-antonio-jenkins.htm

linkshog

I was at the game last night as well.  I went with a teacher at LRCA.  A few things I noticed.

1. He wasn't ever around the team or acted like he wanted to be.  He and the QB warmed up by themselves away from everyone else.  He never got in the big team huddles, just walked around the outside of them.  He even visited with some fans while the rest of the team was warming up.  He made it the Michael Dyer show.

2. He was fast but not impressive fast.  I thought the QB from Oak Grove was impressive.  This was his first year to play QB and was a playmaker.  Not to mention he played both ways the entire game and wasn't sucking air like MD was.

3. MD was huffin and puffin after his 2nd carry of the night.  He had a few good runs and always seem to get 9-12 YPC but the Oak Grove D was not very good.  I'd like to see him do this against Fayetteville or Rogers.

4.The kid is good and never goes down on first contact or one person.  I was just really rubbed the wrong way by the way he acted before and during the game.  I'd like for him to be a HOG but I can see why CBP may not have him at the top of his list.  To be honest, I don't think RB is a big need for us next year.  I wish MD all the best in whatever he chooses.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: donewithdale on September 02, 2009, 09:46:12 am
Matt gave great effort everytime he was on the field in fact to a fault his last season as he tried to force too much and cost us.  Lets not compare him to spoiled prima donnas who have been given a free ride since the 5th grade because they can run with a football.  Looks like this is a good example of private school recruitment creating a sense of entitlement.  Let Gus and Auburn's OC after Gus deal with him.
Good point.  I agree that Matt didn't take plays off ON the field and that is what counts the most.  I was referring to his sideline demeanor, but you are correct - I was off base on that comment.  +1

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: UAfan on September 02, 2009, 09:36:07 am
I'm going to precursor this by saying I think Dyer is a great talent and would love to see him at UA. 

You my friend are dead on.  Before the game Dyer wasn't participating in team drills, talking to fans by himself and separating himself from everyone else.  He wasn't interested in any plays that didn't involve him.

Saying all that Dyer is a special talent, but Petrino will just move on with someone else if Dyer continues to have that attitude.

Unbelievable that the coach allowed that to go on.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NorthshoreBoar

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 02, 2009, 09:50:59 am
Unbelievable that the coach allowed that to go on.
I wasn't impressed with the coach period.  LRC would have won by 30 if he would have just lined Dyer up 7 yards behind the QB and gave the ball to him.  LRC was the better team, but got out coached and out hustled by Oak Grove.  The kids from Oak Grove were playing hard (their RB was tough as nails), they just didn't have the energy at the end of the game.

Fatmanhog

if this is the case then i understand the dissapointment of hog fans there. im not nearly as upset at the auburn sign as i am of the complete jackassness to seperate yourself from the team. MJ was just really laid back and never made it the MJ show and seemed to shy away from the attention. Now only and only going by what was said in this thread if it is indeed true then it looks like another look at me type of thing in the making. we dont need that crap. if it isnt true then i apologize sincerely. but dont be an ass, be a teamate and a good example.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

SRFL

We are going to be just fine with or without him.  If he has any guts he will call Auburn today and commit.  Otherwise, IMO, he is just proving that it's all about The Michael Dyer Show. 

Perception is reality.

donewithdale

Looks like we have one of those hat choosers or t shirt revealers here.  I'll just stop because I'm about to head down the path of not being pc enough for some.  Should be good recruiting material on the LRC website(I assume they have one).

Fatmanhog

i wish they would do away with all that drama choose this hat or whatever. have some integrity and just be a man and choose the college your going to attend and quit trying to be this flambouyant a-hole who wants the spotlight on yourself and you havent done anything yet. since when is it ok to pronounce yourself king and call a press conference in the middle of school like some of these athletes have done. why is it fun for these guys to crave the spotlight?

anytime i hear bspn say they will be showing who a kid chooses i turn the channel. i know i know this isnt what the thread is about.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

linze82

if i had ronnie wingo and knile davis ahead of me for 3 years i would go to auburn too. see ya mike
smite me bishes

athunt

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on September 02, 2009, 09:16:21 am
Anyone get a pic?

There was probably only 30-40 other people in the stadium at the time.  But it DEFINETLEY WAS AN AUBURN FANS sign that read "Auburn is your Dyer Need'.  There were only 2 or 3 Auburn fans and he went out of his way to get the sign.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

passinghog

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 02, 2009, 07:28:49 am
I can promise you that if I were Michael Dyer Hawaii would shoot into my top three, with me needing to take a recruiting trip there to check things out, to help me make a more informed decision. ;)
but you know hawaii takes major precautions to make sure recruits dont play them just for a free trip. But I'm actually being serious when i say enjoy the recruiting process. Take visits to places that could possibly open his mind. Auburn, Ole Miss...yawn, nothing to see there, move along. It just seems logical to me to use your visits as a benefit to coming up w/a decision. He's already been to Auburn and Ole Miss; there's nothing new about them to see on an official. It baffles me a bit when someone says they want to see as many schools as possible and then waste the opportunity to do so. donewithdale was right in another thread when he talked about this. Maybe if he saw more schools, he'd see more things to peak his interest and then actually notice that 3 of his top schools (AU,Ut,OM) literally have no one to block for him! Maybe by taking trips to different places he get's to see there's more to a place then playing for a coach who'd be your best friend...

Porkys Revenge

He may be scared of riding the pine behind Wingo and Davis? If we end up getting Byran Jones and are able to redshirt Davis, we may end up better off in the long run. I can remember everybody getting antsy about Cobi and Ronnies recruitment - I was one of them - but this is different. There is no need to alienate fans.

If I were Dyer and I liked the Razorbacks, I'd commit NOW in hopes of building momentum and to help the coaches better plan their recruiting strategy.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: linze82 on September 02, 2009, 10:39:31 am
if i had ronnie wingo and knile davis ahead of me for 3 years i would go to auburn too. see ya mike
Pie-yow!

athunt

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 02, 2009, 10:55:31 am
He may be scared of riding the pine behind Wingo and Davis? If we end up getting Byran Jones and are able to redshirt Davis, we may end up better off in the long run. I can remember everybody getting antsy about Cobi and Ronnies recruitment - I was one of them - but this is different. There is no need to alienate fans.

If I were Dyer and I liked the Razorbacks, I'd commit NOW in hopes of building momentum and to help the coaches better plan their recruiting strategy.

But that would remove the spotlight from him, dont see that happening anytime soon.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

donewithdale

Quote from: Showtimehog on September 02, 2009, 10:49:18 am
  but you know hawaii takes major precautions to make sure recruits dont play them just for a free trip. But I'm actually being serious when i say enjoy the recruiting process. Take visits to places that could possibly open his mind. Auburn, Ole Miss...yawn, nothing to see there, move along. It just seems logical to me to use your visits as a benefit to coming up w/a decision. He's already been to Auburn and Ole Miss; there's nothing new about them to see on an official. It baffles me a bit when someone says they want to see as many schools as possible and then waste the opportunity to do so. donewithdale was right in another thread when he talked about this. Maybe if he saw more schools, he'd see more things to peak his interest and then actually notice that 3 of his top schools (AU,Ut,OM) literally have no one to block for him! Maybe by taking trips to different places he get's to see there's more to a place then playing for a coach who'd be your best friend...

Some adult involved with him needs to get his butt on a plane to the Bay Area to check out Stanford.  You don't pass on an opportunity of at least checking out a university like Stanford.  Maybe my faith in this modern recruiting process and the handlers, entourages and spoiled kids would be restored a little if I saw someone like Dyer seriously consider this type of opportunity(too much to expect him to actually take the offer). 

WOODSHOG

Quote from: footballmaniac on September 02, 2009, 07:22:26 am
An oak grove team with 24 players on their entire roster. :-\
Even with only twenty four, Groves down linemen outsized Christian's and beat them at the line of scrimage. The only reason Christian won that game was Dyers talent, and a heads up move by Kramer to put Mosley in on defense in the second half,, Mosley's and Dyers physical play shut their offensive attack down long enough for Christian to put some points on the board.

Porkys Revenge

Is Dyer hands down the best RB in the state? Hope this doesn't end up like the DeArrius Howard deal....we take him because he breaks all the records in the states largest classification....while DeAngelo Williams goes on to stardom at Memphis. Someone please assure me that Courtney Haskell is not Dyers equal and that he won't go to Tulsa and become a stud, their measurables are very similar...

NorthshoreBoar

Mosely looked a lot better on D than O...of course they only threw the ball to him once so he couldn't exactly showcase himself.

passinghog

Quote from: donewithdale on September 02, 2009, 11:00:10 am
Some adult involved with him needs to get his butt on a plane to the Bay Area to check out Stanford.  You don't pass on an opportunity of at least checking out a university like Stanford.  Maybe my faith in this modern recruiting process and the handlers, entourages and spoiled kids would be restored a little if I saw someone like Dyer seriously consider this type of opportunity(too much to expect him to actually take the offer). 
or even check out UCLA instead. Disclaimer, i'm in no means a UCLA fan, but it's in a great area of town and a great school. Wayyy better women too. Add in the fact they have a better coach than OM, AU, or Ut, and they've upgraded their recruiting (esp. OL). Passing on the home state school to play aywhere would be hard to do, but passing on the chance to visit/play in LA and voluntarily spending 4 yrs in Auburn, Ala., instead is almost unfathomable.

The Hogfather

Quote from: WOODSHOG on September 02, 2009, 11:04:00 am
Even with only twenty four, Groves down linemen outsized Christian's and beat them at the line of scrimage. The only reason Christian won that game was Dyers talent, and a heads up move by Kramer to put Mosley in on defense in the second half,, Mosley's and Dyers physical play shut their offensive attack down long enough for Christian to put some points on the board.

I think Mosley basically beat them all by himself, if you ask me.

WOODSHOG

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 02, 2009, 11:16:18 am
I think Mosley basically beat them all by himself, if you ask me.

That means alot, coming from someone who quotes a bread and cupcake route driver.

athunt

Quote from: WOODSHOG on September 02, 2009, 11:04:00 am

Shut down their attack long enough? For the most part they run the triple option.  Not exactly lightning quick scores. IMO, LRC's coach is what made this game closer than it should have been.  And OG's line didnt outsize LRC's, maybe out worked and beat them, but didnt outsize them. 
-Reggie Johnson

WOODSHOG

Quote from: athunt on September 02, 2009, 11:46:41 am
Shut down their attack long enough? For the most part they run the triple option.  Not exactly lightning quick scores. IMO, LRC's coach is what made this game closer than it should have been.  And OG's line didnt outsize LRC's, maybe out worked and beat them, but didnt outsize them. 

Would you like to post some incorrect stats of how the line matches up like the ones u posted about Dyers numbers ?

The Hogfather

Quote from: WOODSHOG on September 02, 2009, 11:37:50 am
That means alot, coming from someone who quotes a bread and cupcake route driver.

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm sure it has something to do with Mosley being the best TE in the nation, since you wrote it....

athunt

Quote from: WOODSHOG on September 02, 2009, 11:50:05 am
Would you like to post some incorrect stats of how the line matches up like the ones u posted about Dyers numbers ?

Im pretty sure those are accurate, but I stated "Unofficial Stats"...guess others got it wrong too.
http://arkansas.scout.com/2/894351.html
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=116804
-Reggie Johnson

Corkscrew Johnson

I think this kind of overreaction doesn't nothing but hurt our chances.  He hasn't even committed to Auburn and people are already criticizing him.  If a girl spurns your advances at a bar, do you go bad-mouthing her to all her friends?  No, you buy her a few more shots and keep courting her, while politely pointing out that her boyfriend Gene Chizik is a laughing stock amongst his peers.

Just chill out and wait for things to run their course.  I have a feeling that after 12 games, the Razorbacks will have some serious momentum, while the Auburn faithful will be dusting off their pitchforks.  Who wants to jump aboard a sinking ship?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on September 02, 2009, 12:06:11 pm
I think this kind of overreaction doesn't nothing but hurt our chances.

Who cares?  If message board chatter changes his mind regarding where he wants to go to college, we don't want him.

Beaverfever

The least I've ever wanted a guy with as much talent as him.

athunt

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 02, 2009, 12:17:24 pm
The least I've ever wanted a guy with as much talent as him.

Boom. +1
-Reggie Johnson

revolution

Isn't this the LRCA coach's first year to be head man?  Does he know what he's doing?