Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy...... Coach "We WILL Beat Arkansas"

Started by Hogblog, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

athunt

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 18, 2009, 03:45:57 pm

But the biggest reason of all is that Saturday is the BIGGEST deer hunting day of the year in Arkansas. Guns will be legal in almost all hunting zones that day.

Is this the open of modern gun or muzzel loader?
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Big Papa Satan

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogblog on August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm
From Phil Steele's Blog......

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/August09/DBAug14.html

I did a show on Monday in Alabama with Robert Booth. Robert said that last week he met with coach Larry Blakeney of Troy and that coach Blakeney told him they WILL beat Arkansas this year! He also said that in all the years that he had talked with the coach over the summer, it was the first time he had told him of a projected upset like that.
He just wrote a check that he can't cash. we'll not only beat Troy. we will lay a half a hundred on them. his mouth just overloaded his A--

Prosciutto

If he has to fight a wild hog, why would he poke it with a stick first?

BAD mistake!

jhippy

Blakeney as to much respect for Arkansas to say that.

benbrown

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 18, 2009, 02:48:30 pm
........Especially when one considers that last year LSU spotted them 31 points and then
proceded to come back and BEAT them, THEN lost to Arkansas.
I was at that game in Baton Rouge.  It took everything LSU had to come back and win that game.  Troy played very well, but they were not able to hold it together through the second half.

If Ark is looking ahead at that game, Troy could catch them.  But, I don't expect it to happen.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

thirtythree

Quote from: hawgsav1 on August 18, 2009, 03:08:20 pm
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one just for fun.

Troy has been one of the better Sun Belt programs over the last few years.  They've won the Sun Belt the last 3 years in a row, and have had a winning record 4 out of the past 5 years, which isn't bad for a conference that is more known for its rent-a-wins than its football prowess.  IF Troy wants to take the next step up and improve the Sun-Belt's standing or perhaps move to a better conference or improve recruiting, they are going to have to get some notable wins and media attention.

Calling out the Hogs does several things.  It brings media attention to Troy football.  If Arkansas destroys Troy, it will go down as no big deal.  Some little guy talked a little trash, and got exposed. 
If by some chance (though it won't happen), Troy beats Arkansas or keeps it close, it will be good publicity for Troy that they will use to their advantage.  Look at all the major non-BCS programs out there.  They all got legitimacy after they either beat or were very competitive with big name BCS teams.  Boise State really didn't get legitimacy until they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.  Fresno State didn't get legitimacy until they nearly defeated USC in the Coliseum in 2005, when everyone thought USC was infallible.  Utah, BYU, and TCU play in one of the better non-BCS conferences (the MWC), and while they were always regarded as sleeper teams, they didn't really get that big time legitimacy until they played in BCS bowls and/or showed they could compete and defeat the big guys (TCU defeating OU comes in 2005 comes to mind as well). 

Another thing that calling out Arkansas does is galvanize Troy's players.  Players from rent-a-win schools aren't stupid.  Most of them know that they're pretty much being paid to get stomped, which can't be good for morale and confidence.  Blakeney probably wouldn't do this if he thought that his team wasn't good enough to potentially beat the Hogs.  His statement probably gives the Troy players confidence that they can beat the Hogs, especially now since their coach has faith in them as well.  If you look at most of the major upsets over the past few years, all of the underdogs had confidence.  Boise State was extremely confident against OU.  Appalachian State was also extremely confident against Michigan.  Stanford had to have been confident against USC, right?

These kinds of upset victories are rare, but not unheard of.  ULM defeated Alabama in Saban's first season.  Troy has a 0.500 record against Mississippi State.  Historically, North Texas has a winning record against both Florida AND Tennessee.  So it is possible.

While I don't think Troy will defeat us this season, I do see why Blakeney is taking the gamble.

Glad I scrolled down enough to read your post, because it is exactly what I was goig to say. +1

MTBrookHog

Troy has to come inside the Arkansas borders twice this year. They may head back to Alabama 0-2.

PoppaCapp

he must of been having a brain fart and meant Ark St.

98hogs

1highhog

Troy is a good program, they have beat several teams from the Big Conferences, I just don't see them beating us with our current staff, now maybe with Hooty, a different story.

Grunt

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 18, 2009, 03:06:14 pm
That's probably more like it.  Why would you do something like that if you were the coach?

BP strikes me as the type that would spend game week in his office living on coffee and NoDoz, looking for any and every way to beat the hell out of you...and that's before he's been called out.

That's good, LOL! You made me think "red-eyed resolve". How much film of the opponent is available for a coach to review?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

aar0n

Farther stretch:  Troy beating UA or UA beating FU?

huntindoc

Quote from: DoggtownHog on August 18, 2009, 03:45:27 pm
I believe Troy is 5-0 vs SEC teams after Sept. But that stat can't stop what's coming.

Actually Troy hasnt beat an SEC team in over 7 years.

0-5 past Sept.

aar0n

GuvHog

Quote from: MTBrookHog on August 18, 2009, 05:30:52 pm
Troy has to come inside the Arkansas borders twice this year. They may head back to Alabama 0-2.

This is true because Arkansas State is going to field a pretty salty Sun Belt team this year as well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

chiefsfan

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on August 18, 2009, 02:42:09 pm
Troy shall be desTROYed. Stupid statement especially from a coach.

I highly doubt they will be destroyed.   They play Florida before Arkansas.   That will be destruction

I can tell you that the Troy Arkansas game is the talk of the Sun Belt conference  for nonconference wise.  there is an overwhelming thought within member schools and even the conference offices that Troy has a really good shot to win this game...

Sun Belt wants an SEC win to hang its hat on, and right now all they have are ULM beating Bama 2 years ago and MTSU beating Vandy twice before.   Arkansas is looked at as a bowl team, so it would be a big step up for the conference which would be a huge recruiting advantage over CUSA schools

Blakeny opening his big mouth, just assures that Arkansas wont  come in and overlook them.  but that doesnt guarantee an Arkansas victory.   There are some preseason rankings that have Troy ranked as high as 45th in the country.

ASU plays host to Troy week 4.  Ill have a good idea then as to how good Troy is
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

lovethosehogs

i was worried about that game but as a sun belt confrence team  you should not be talking trash before the season. 

Grunt

August 18, 2009, 06:23:33 pm #71 Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:30:09 pm by Grunt
Quote from: alnaar0n on August 18, 2009, 05:45:00 pm
Farther stretch:  Troy beating UA or UA beating FU?

The former.

56Hog

Blakeney once said of Mizzu:  "I'm worried more about Troy than I am Missouri and they're probably worried more about Missouri than they are with Troy."

Can't remember if he said it before Troy's upset win in 2004...

...anyway, he does have a mouth and sooner or later it comes back to haunt him...the vengeful Tigers hung 52 on Troy the next season.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

chiefsfan

Quote from: MuleriderFan on August 18, 2009, 05:18:59 pm
I was at that game in Baton Rouge.  It took everything LSU had to come back and win that game.  Troy played very well, but they were not able to hold it together through the second half.

That game was such an odd game.   Troy wasnt only beating LSU.  It was beating them by 4 scores late in the 3rd quarter.   LSU was abought to get  run out of dodge by a Sun Belt School

it was a rare situation they had never faced before as a team.  Honestly I think it would have been better for Troy had it been a close game.    But Troy got up big and took their foot off the gas.   a gigantic mistake, that I dont think happens if they dont get such a big league.   

In the end depth got the best of them and that was that.    But it wasnt nerves or anything.  I can tell you from conversations with ASU players.  that not one player on any Sun Belt school.  Especially teams like Troy or ASU are scared of playing a big school.   They are used to the stadiums by now,  used to the fans, and honestly truly believe they can and will win the game

Troy is the most dangerous rent a win there is right now
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: 56Hog on August 18, 2009, 06:27:52 pm
Blakeney once said of Mizzu:  “I'm worried more about Troy than I am Missouri and they're probably worried more about Missouri than they are with Troy.”

Can't remember if he said it before Troy's upset win in 2004...

...anyway, he does have a mouth and sooner or later it comes back to haunt him...the vengeful Tigers hung 52 on Troy the next season.

that wasnt a true rent a win game though.  that was a home and home series.   Arkansas doesnt play Troy again in 2010  they dont get a chance at revenge if they lose.  unless they take it out on their next SEC opponent

earlenehawg

Remember how Les Miles calling us arKANSAS galvanized the team and fans?  Should have the same effect.

56Hog

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 18, 2009, 06:33:16 pm
that wasnt a true rent a win game though.  that was a home and home series.   Arkansas doesnt play Troy again in 2010  they dont get a chance at revenge if they lose.  unless they take it out on their next SEC opponent

Arkansas isn't going to lose.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

chiefsfan

Quote from: 56Hog on August 18, 2009, 06:37:10 pm
Arkansas isn't going to lose.

you cant really answer that now.  No way of knowing how good or bad the team is till they begin to run the gauntlet starting with Georgia and Bama

Grunt

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 18, 2009, 06:18:57 pm

...I can tell you that the Troy Arkansas game is the talk of the Sun Belt conference  for nonconference wise.  there is an overwhelming thought within member schools and even the conference offices that Troy has a really good shot to win this game...

I hope they try really hard.

b0sc0b

I did a show on Monday in Alabama with Robert Booth. Robert said that last week he met with coach Larry Blakeney of Troy and that coach Blakeney told him they WILL beat Arkansas this year! He also said that in all the years that he had talked with the coach over the summer, it was the first time he had told him of a projected upset like that.
They might but I would suggest bringing a large, healthy lunch.
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

56Hog

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 18, 2009, 07:10:46 pm
you cant really answer that now.  No way of knowing how good or bad the team is till they begin to run the gauntlet starting with Georgia and Bama

"Fate stands now upon the razor(backs)'s edge."

Jborohog09

Quote from: MTBrookHog on August 18, 2009, 05:30:52 pm

they more than likely will go back 0-2, ASU will be ready for that game as we want revenge for the past two years, and now Arkansas has the game circled.

Iwastherein1969

this surprises me a lot.....Larry Blakeney is an excellent coach....either he is supremely confident which worries me or he was misquoted
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

razorbrass

I don't think we heard the whole story.

Blakeney, when reminded that Houston Nutt no longer coached at Arkansas, replied, "Ooops, my bad"
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Hoggish1

You must be heavy into fantasy or fantasy football... ;)

tenhog

Agree Razorbrass, Blakeney thinks Hootie is still the coach at Arkansas!!!  Only logical explanation for him to say something that stupid!!

texas tush hog

Late last year with nothing better to do I just happened to tune in to the
Troy-Lsu game. Troy dominated them through three quarters by 38-10.
LSU ran off 30 unanswered points to win 40 to 38. If Troy has all those
people back then anything is possible. You guys better start making plans
because these guys are a legitmate threat.

Cave City Joe

I didn't know that larry Blakeney was related to Lane Kiffin.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 18, 2009, 08:55:54 pm
Late last year with nothing better to do I just happened to tune in to the
Troy-Lsu game. Troy dominated them through three quarters by 38-10.
LSU ran off 30 unanswered points to win 40 to 38. If Troy has all those
people back then anything is possible. You guys better start making plans
because these guys are a legitmate threat.

Yes, but Troy wasn't foolish enough to predict well ahead of time that they were going to beat LSU. Underdogs should use that role to their advantage. Blakeney has lost his mind. He just gave Arkansas a very good reason to be prepared and not overlook Troy, which was about the only chance Troy had to begin with. D.A. move.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Bionic_Pig

August 18, 2009, 09:38:54 pm #89 Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:44:33 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
They will wish they were using real blades ala "Brad Pitt" in the movie Troy because  by the time leave the Natural State the will have taken a big bite out of them and the will be eating the remains of that carcus....  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RedRock

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 18, 2009, 06:18:57 pm

I can tell you that the Troy Arkansas game is the talk of the Sun Belt conference  for nonconference wise.  there is an overwhelming thought within member schools and even the conference offices that Troy has a really good shot to win this game...

Fortunately, nobody pays any attention to what the Sun Belt thinks or does.
They just make the checks out to them and go on their way.

mellonhead

Thats why he is the coach at troy. Bring it punk!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RedRock on August 18, 2009, 10:09:39 pm
The man is selling tickets, baby!

In Fayetteville? Doubtful. Full of himself and his team? Likely. Sandwiched between two SEC games in the last half of the season, Troy might have had a chance to catch us looking ahead to the Miss State game after entertaining S. Carolina the week previous. Now Blakeney's remark will be posted in the locker room the week of the Troy game. It's not good to write checks with your mouth, that your arse can't cash.
Go Hogs Go!

Jack The BN

Maybe Brad Pitt is playing for them this year
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

BloodRedHog

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on August 18, 2009, 02:16:39 pm
If Troy cant beat a rebuilding 5-7 Arkansas last year, what makes him think they can beat an Arkansas team full of depth, talent, and experience (in CBP year 2)?

^ Understatement :)

Totally my thought as well.  Last year was their chance....they blew it.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Jim Harris

He meant Arkansas State. Troy will beat Arkansas State this year. Maybe. Maybe not.

Troy was in ridiculously good position to get Blakeney's signature road win last year, at LSU, and choked like Linda Lovelace.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

jhippy

softserve

Quote from: mj4president on August 18, 2009, 03:19:10 pm
Just ask the man who's 40 (42 now) about Troy. They smoked his ass a few years ago.

This is exactly what I was thinking of.  OSU fans were SHOCKED.  This is not a rent a win IMHO.  Sure we should be the favorite, but we definitely need to show up.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

razorgary

Troy is and always has been a dangerous team. They are use to playing before large crowds and seem to do well in games and surprise on the road. Humm, guess I will mention that Phil Steele has them at #31 and Arkansas #33 on preseason poll. And I also recall them leading LSU on the road 31-3 in the 3rd. qtr. only to lose as LSU had biggest comeback in history to win. Go Hogs!