Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy...... Coach "We WILL Beat Arkansas"

Started by Hogblog, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyTrojan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 18, 2009, 08:16:39 pm
this surprises me a lot.....Larry Blakeney is an excellent coach....either he is supremely confident which worries me or he was misquoted

I believe he was misquoted. The people on this board "heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy who supposedly heard it from coach Larry Blakeneny" and has no "quotable material." Until then it's all hearsay. I can't deny the fact that this is on the internet, and now whether he said it or not, the UA players will believe it.

I don't see why most of you are so quick to take this 4th hand information and run with it like it must be fact. Ever heard someone sarcastically say "I heard it on the internet. It must be true." That's my stance on this. He's not the kind of coach to say this kind of thing and was probably misquoted.

TroyTrojan

Quote from: Hangin w tha Hawgs on August 22, 2009, 10:37:18 am
Over on the ASU Red Wolves website, they think that they will beat troy this year, and if they do its a given bet that arkansas will destroy them in any case. :razorback:

The fact that Troy is good against the spread offense doesn't mean that they are gonna beat arkansas, even with a off day in the passing game, arkansas is mega loaded in the running game with Smith/Green/Wingo, Green could rip there defense apart on his own, and i figure it will be the story despite what happens. Petrino will have a big circle on his calendar for this game, and i bet the players will be fired up along with the hog crowd to blow Troy right back to Alabama.

LSU wasn't ready for troy and got a surprise, arkansas willnot overlook troy and be ready... :razorback:

I heard its a trap game for arkansas, well it just might be a trap game for troy.

Troy will probably lose to Arkansas State based on the returning talent ASU has, and the way the schedule sets up really well for the red wolves and really bad for the trojans.

UAfanatic

He didn't say it publicly..

But said it to a sports reporter..

did he say 'now this is waaaay off record.. but we're going to beat arkansas.. don't say anything until it happens

followed by a secret handshake

TroyTrojan

Quote from: 56Hog on August 18, 2009, 06:27:52 pm
Blakeney once said of Mizzu:  "I'm worried more about Troy than I am Missouri and they're probably worried more about Missouri than they are with Troy."

Can't remember if he said it before Troy's upset win in 2004...

...anyway, he does have a mouth and sooner or later it comes back to haunt him...the vengeful Tigers hung 52 on Troy the next season.

That quote means you have to take care of what we're doing in house before we can think about beating Missouri. If we don't prepare well within ourselves, we'll lose. Basically, stop worrying about the opponent and worry about the things we, ourselves, can do to win the game, like fundamentals and staying focused at practice.
That was in no way meant to demean Missouri, but to say that we need to focus on our own preparation rather than over thinking the opposition.

TroyTrojan

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 22, 2009, 11:02:26 am
He didn't say it publicly..

But said it to a sports reporter..

did he say 'now this is waaaay off record.. but we're going to beat arkansas.. don't say anything until it happens

followed by a secret handshake

That still doesn't mean this guy (whose name I cant remember) interpreted him correctly. Nor does it say this guy is reputable. Who is this guy that phil steele talked to? I've never heard of the guy. Also, he could have asked Blakeney, "you guys gonna beat arkansas this year?" and Blakeney could have said "haha, yeah, we'll beat arkansas" in a joking chuckle not meant to be taken serious.

I think it's been blown out of proportion.

TroyTrojan

Quote from: Hangin w tha Hawgs on August 22, 2009, 10:37:18 am
If troy thinks arkansas is gonna be bad like last year, they got another thing coming. Troy is good against the spread offense but they don't know about the quick release of malletts passes, nor do they know about broderick green. What i love about petrino's strategy, is that he will switch the Qb's and Rb's in and out to confuse the defenses.Plus Troy is playing in Fayetteville and the crowd will be firing up the players, and that will not be good for troy. :razorback:

I expect arkansas will be in there game by the time troy comes to fayetteville.

Arkansas wins it :razorback:

I don't expect an easy win. It would be very tough for Troy to win. What a lot of people don't realize is that teams are almost always heads and tails better in their second year. In fact, UA is my pick for most improved team in the country. I think you guys will cruise to at least 9-3 this year.

BiggieHawg

I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me. 
I represent the fighting spirit of the the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It.

woopig432007

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Reaganite on August 21, 2009, 07:51:40 pm

Is this how you're supposed to build a loyal viewership for your sportscasts?  Going on a multi page pissing contest with Hog fans over how bad we've been in the past?

Brilliant marketing strategy.

You haven't been consulting for Obama on his healthcare strategy by any chance?

Why? Because I'm not a homer and blow smoke at ya on a message board? I've been here for years actually interacting with posters and speaking my mind and having fun (which is more than most)

I'm sticking up for my alma mater, and it's all in general fun (did it a few years ago too). If you're making a serious issue out of it, I feel for ya. Just don't fly a banner over the station.  ;)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 22, 2009, 05:44:52 pm
It's too bad you couldn't qualify for a respectable Sun Belt school like ULM.  ;)

Don't be stirrin the Sun Belt pot!

pipehog

I don't think even Lane Kiffin would say somthing like that. Regardless of the weather it's gonna suck to be Troy

Reaganite

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 22, 2009, 05:38:42 pm
  Why? Because I'm not a homer and blow smoke at ya on a message board? I've been here for years actually interacting with posters and speaking my mind and having fun (which is more than most)

I'm sticking up for my alma mater, and it's all in general fun (did it a few years ago too). If you're making a serious issue out of it, I feel for ya. Just don't fly a banner over the station.  ;)

Sticking up for one's alma mater is fine.  No problem.

Just struck me as odd that a sports anchor that covers the HOGS and posts on a HOG board would rub salt in the wounds of HOG FANS for the purpose of validating HIS alma mater over the HOG FANS team.

It's one thing when joe blow (or dirt) does it.  It's another thing entirely when someone from a news organization does it. 

See, the issue here is not whether you're a homer blowing smoke.  It's that too often in our national news, or even sports coverage in Arkansas, there have been people that couldn't quite understand that they shouldn't publicly take sides in the interest of fair and objective reporting. 

It most certainly IS a serious issue, even though you would make light of it.

As I'm sure you're aware, media members developed relationships with people in power and were willing to shade their reporting as a result.  Most people on any Arkansas board could immediately rattle off a list of obvious media huggers when El Dorko was here.  They could also count (usually on less than two hands) those that played it straight down the line. 

I would like to see people that are in the business of delivering news to have no visible slant or bias.  Sure all human beings have them.  But if you're really good, we'll never know it.

I would think that journalistic ethics alone would lead you to believe that if you're going to report on a team, you don't have the luxury of getting down in the mud and slinging some of it at that teams fans. 

Finally, when someone from a news organization does do that, one shouldn't be suprised to get called on it.

;)     ;)     ;)

By the way, have you considered how our players will view your comments?  I assure you they read these pages and I'm sure they really appreciate it too.

losthawg68

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 18, 2009, 03:07:14 pm
They might've had a decent shot before. Not now.

not quite but i agree with where you are going with that.  sorry troy, but your own coached paved this road of embarrassment.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Mark Lericos

August 22, 2009, 10:40:49 pm #213 Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:43:23 pm by Mark [Scoop] Lericos
Quote from: Reaganite on August 22, 2009, 10:21:40 pm

Just struck me as odd that a sports anchor that covers the HOGS and posts on a HOG board would rub salt in the wounds of HOG FANS for the purpose of validating HIS alma mater over the HOG FANS team.

It's one thing when joe blow (or dirt) does it.  It's another thing entirely when someone from a news organization does it. 

See, the issue here is not whether you're a homer blowing smoke.  It's that too often in our national news, or even sports coverage in Arkansas, there have been people that couldn't quite understand that they shouldn't publicly take sides in the interest of fair and objective reporting. 

As I'm sure you're aware, media members developed relationships with people in power and were willing to shade their reporting as a result.  Most people on any Arkansas board could immediately rattle off a list of obvious media huggers when El Dorko was here.  They could also count (usually on less than two hands) those that played it straight down the line. 

I would like to see people that are in the business of delivering news to have no visible slant or bias.  Sure all human beings have them.  But if you're really good, we'll never know it.

I would think that journalistic ethics alone would lead you to believe that if you're going to report on a team, you don't have the luxury of getting down in the mud and slinging some of it at that teams fans. 

Finally, when someone from a news organization does do that, one shouldn't be suprised to get called on it.

;)     ;)     ;)

By the way, have you considered how our players will view your comments?  I assure you they read these pages and I'm sure they really appreciate it too.

Arkansas played Troy 2 years ago, I played it straight then... when the game actually ARRIVED. I think most knowledgeable fans can understand I'm poking fun as an alma mater, so if Hog fans are going to dish it out, they should be willing to take it, regardless of where it comes.

I did a radio show for a year, and was very opinionated about many things Hog. So where is the difference?  I have always called it like I see it... off the air. On TV I play it straight down the line. Big difference.

I've always thought I do have the luxury of getting down in the mud and being honest with fans. I've worked coast to coast, and the average fan respects that approach. Im not coming from an ivory tower with no interaction. Will everyone like it? Of course not, but I'm not living my life to please all of you. If you think I'm unethical, change the channel. I'm not bashing the current team... we're taking Arkansas historically. I've praised Petrino pretty much since he arrived, and how this 2009 team looks.  :)

The key here... is that you're OPENING this thread continually... which is a choice. I'm not forcing anyone to listen.

aar0n

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Reaganite on August 22, 2009, 10:21:40 pm

;)     ;)     ;)

Not to stir the pot further, but I think that if you remember correctly how he acquired the nickname "Scoop", you will know that he was not part of the media cabala that surrounded HDN and JFB. Obviously Mark was having fun with you as an everyday fan and it carried more weight with you than was intended, but when the rubber hit the road he questioned the unquestionable and took some pretty significant heat for it. Maybe not as much as you did, but he was one of the few objective "slaps" in the room.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

HOGPICKER

Quote from: The real Hogules on August 18, 2009, 02:32:49 pm
Uhhhhhhhhhh, no they haven't.

That's his @$$ talking because his head has better sense!
The Citadel was a stranger thing indeed.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

hog19911

Troy should focus on keeping the game within 3 or 4 touchdowns. They have slim to no chance at beating the hogs.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Hawg2011 on August 23, 2009, 02:01:43 pm
Look at it this way.

It's like the guy who is really good friends with the family, get's invited to all the weddings/reunions/ ect. He feels like family.

One day, he makes a remark about the families darker past..off color but true none the less. Didn't think nothing of it. At that moment, he's not family, because no matter how close he gets with them he's an outsider.

At that moment some feelings are gonna get hurt, even if it was just some good natured ribbing. Combine that with the fact the family is still a bit sore from the past, and tempers can flare.

I wouldn't take it personally Scoop, we're all grateful for what you did...however, don't expect us to believe that you did it all because you love the Hogs. You're a journalist, and you loved that thrill of going against the grain, of investigative reporting. Long story short, if you're gonna take shots at the Razorbacks, even in fun, be prepared to deal with the shots back.

Oh I don't mind the shots, not at Troy or even me. But it was Hog fans that started laying into the Trojans, and when I defended them in regards to Arkansas, everyone got testy. Like I shouldn't because I'm a journalist in NWA. I'm in this thread as an alum, and if Hog fans can rip Troy for being in the Sun Belt, then you have to take your lumps as a struggling SEC team in the past. It's nothing horrible... just poking holes in each other's armor.

At the end of the day Arkansas is still SEC, Troy is still Sun Belt, and I'm just a sports guy... there's no venom to my playful ribbing. Hopefully none of you guys took it that way.

I think people are surprised anyone jumped to defend Troy.  ;D

nightpatrol

Well the Arkansas/Troy game will pretty much answer all of our questions in November.

I am looking forward to the game. :razorback:

texas tush hog

August 23, 2009, 07:19:10 pm #220 Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:22:24 pm by texas tush hog
We have a lot of business to take care of before we should even be discussing a
game on November 14. As a former coach I know that seasons tend to roll up
hill or down hill. Beat Georgia and Alabama and we have a chance against Florida
and Mississippi. With that kind of confidence we could be competing for the SEC
title and Troy would be nothing more than a speed bump. Lose to Georgia and
a road win becomes very problematic and we will probably be trying to secure a minor bowl game with a win over a very good Troy team who will probably be on
a roll by then. You guys need to concentrate on September and October before
being distracted by a mid major in November. One game at a time will get us there and I know that is what the coaches and players are doing,Thank God.

Chuck Boarris

I think he should've put more focus on Bowling Green. 

ronmahony

Quote from: HawgHaulin on September 10, 2009, 01:28:36 am
I think he should've put more focus on Bowling Green. 

Ha yeah and if he saw any of our game he's probably thinking he should've kept quiet.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.