Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy...... Coach "We WILL Beat Arkansas"

Started by Hogblog, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

Quote from: alnaar0n on August 19, 2009, 04:40:46 pm
I cant believe this has even inspired this much debate.  I seriously doubt he said it, but even if so, WHO CARES?  ITS TROY.  I'm not saying its a blow-off game, but come on people!  Since when has anyone in the Sunbelt been able to ruffle our feathers (other than that whole UA vs. ASU debate last year)? 

It is because "Scoop" always gets worked up over anything non-positive said about Troy.  He's an alum.  A homer, if you will.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 05:22:06 pm
2nd rate?

Ummmm....exactly.  Troy is a good 2nd rate team, but they're still 2nd rate.  They play in a non-BCS conference and have a losing record to Arkansas State.  That pretty much seals it.

Ouachihog

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 05:22:06 pm
2nd rate? At least we win our conference (last 3 years). And we know where we are in the football food chain. Do u?  ;)

You are kinda acting like you are on a board of the enemy.  At least it seems to me that way.  I get it, he didn't say it at a news conference, and Troy shouldn't be overlooked.  The fact is that the BEST Sunbelt team every year would probably beat the WORST SEC team every year about 2 out of 10 times.  I realize that is a generalization, but look at the numbers of Sun Belt vs the SEC and see if it says otherwise. 

Just because Ark fans think this coach's alleged/assumed/somewhat reported/unverifiable statement is ludicrous doesn't mean we think Ark is going to win the national title this year.  Even though the statement isn't public, you don't even hear rumors of this from most Sun Belt coaches when talking about a matchup with an SEC team.

Point taken though, he didn't make it public. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Dicehog

One thing's for sure, they're going to get their chance.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 18, 2009, 06:18:57 pm

I can tell you that the Troy Arkansas game is the talk of the Sun Belt conference  for nonconference wise.  there is an overwhelming thought within member schools and even the conference offices that Troy has a really good shot to win this game...

Sounds like the school over in Tulsa.  How did that work out for them and their bus?

Mark Lericos

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 07:32:35 pm
Ummmm....exactly.  Troy is a good 2nd rate team, but they're still 2nd rate.  They play in a non-BCS conference and have a losing record to Arkansas State.  That pretty much seals it.

By definition then (of 2nd rate)... Arkansas is a 2nd rate SEC team, along the lines of Vandy, MSU and South Carolina. I mean, using your guidelines.

God I love this thread.  ;)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on August 19, 2009, 08:40:11 pm
Sounds like the school over in Tulsa.  How did that work out for them and their bus?

I don't know.. I can't hear over the sound of happy cowbells in Starkville.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 08:40:15 pm
   By definition then (of 2nd rate)... Arkansas is a 2nd rate SEC team, along the lines of Vandy, MSU and South Carolina. I mean, using your guidelines.

God I love this thread.  ;)

I'm not even going to respond to this.  I know you love this thread.  It is all about your favorite, 2nd rate team.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 08:41:23 pm
I don't know.. I can't hear over the sound of happy cowbells in Starkville.

Your team has a losing record against Arkansas State.  C'mon...

Mark Lericos

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 08:41:26 pm
I'm not even going to respond to this.  I know you love this thread.  It is all about your favorite, 2nd rate team.

It's a fair argument. We're routinely at the top of our conference... you're often near the bottom of yours. I'm only debating it... 3 of your 4 coaches had a losing record in the SEC.  Nutt barely was over... and was 2-5 in SEC bowls.

So, 2nd rate is fair.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 08:44:33 pm
Your team has a losing record against Arkansas State.  C'mon...

We've won the last 2 years... outscoring ASU 62-9. If you want to compare series.. we'll delve back into Nutt's era, that won't help things.  ;D

And hey, at least we're willing to play ASU... but that's a different 46-page thread.

All in good fun. Yes, Troy is 2nd tier...

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 08:45:43 pm
It's a fair argument. We're routinely at the top of our conference... you're often near the bottom of yours. I'm only debating it... 3 of your 4 SEC coaches had a losing record in the SEC.  Nutt barely was over... and was 2-5 in SEC bowls.

So, 2nd rate is fair.

Ok, try to shave your skull down a bit so some of this can get through.

Your favorite team is a 2nd rate COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.  They might be 1st rate in the Sun Belt, one of the weakest conferences in college football.  But, they're still a 2nd rate football team.

My favorite team is a 2nd tier team in the SEC (currently), the toughest conference in college football.  They are also 11-0 against the Sun Belt, including a 46-26 win over Troy a couple of years ago.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 08:45:43 pm
It's a fair argument. We're routinely at the top of our conference... you're often near the bottom of yours. I'm only debating it... 3 of your 4 coaches had a losing record in the SEC.  Nutt barely was over... and was 2-5 in SEC bowls.

So, 2nd rate is fair.

Apples to oranges.  If Troy were in the SEC you'd be winless every year.  If Arkansas were in the Sun Belt we'd be undefeated every year.  There is a reason you are doing local news in Arkansas, and it likely has a lot to do with your education being from Troy.  :)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ATLpiggie on August 19, 2009, 08:51:35 pm
Apples to oranges.  If Troy were in the SEC you'd be winless every year.  If Arkansas were in the Sun Belt we'd be undefeated every year.  There is a reason you are doing local news in Arkansas, and it likely has a lot to do with your education being from Troy.  :)

Um, if we were in the SEC, our school would have about 10,000 more kids... and the recruiting, coaching, facilities would be a lot different.

And I doubt Petrino comes to Arkansas if you're in the Sun Belt.  A hunch.

So it's still apples to oranges.  8)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 08:50:56 pm
Ok, try to shave your skull down a bit so some of this can get through.

Your favorite team is a 2nd rate COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.  They might be 1st rate in the Sun Belt, one of the weakest conferences in college football.  But, they're still a 2nd rate football team.

My favorite team is a 2nd tier team in the SEC (currently), the toughest conference in college football.  They are also 11-0 against the Sun Belt, including a 46-26 win over Troy a couple of years ago.

You should be 11-0 against the Sun Belt. You have a monopoly on an entire state. Troy was a dominant NAIA school... then they became a powerful Div 1-AA school... now they're Division 1. We've been successful at every level, despite being the 3rd best team in Alabama.

I guess our definitions of 2nd rate differ slightly. With your population, resources, facilities and big boosters... you qualify as 2nd rate because you haven't done anything in forever (Dmac not withstanding) despite all those advantages. 

In fact.. Troy (which can only get to a bowl by winning Sun Belt), has been to more bowls than Arkansas in the last 5 years.
  and the SEC has about 7 or 8 bowl tie-ins.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 09:09:38 pm
  And I doubt Petrino comes to Arkansas if you're in the Sun Belt.  A hunch.

You just proved the point.  SunBelt is far less than SEC and 2nd rate SEC is far greater than Sun Belt champion. 

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ATLpiggie on August 19, 2009, 09:21:26 pm
You just proved the point.  SunBelt is far less than SEC and 2nd rate SEC is far greater than Sun Belt champion. 

I never said we weren't 2nd tier. 2nd rate implies we're mediocre... and as the stats prove out.. Troy is superior for its school size.

I wasn't implying we're on the same level as SEC. Just that I don't mind cheering for a very good Troy team, as opposed to a sub-standard Hog team for the last decade and more.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 09:26:47 pm
I never said we weren't 2nd tier. 2nd rate implies we're mediocre... and as the stats prove out.. Troy is superior for its school size.

I wasn't implying we're on the same level as SEC. Just that I don't mind cheering for a very good Troy team, as opposed to a sub-standard Hog team for the last decade and more.

The fact that Troy is superior for a school it's size is a testament to it's low admissions standards as are you apparently.  :D

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ATLpiggie on August 19, 2009, 09:35:40 pm
The fact that Troy is superior for a school it's size is a testament to it's low admissions standards as are you apparently.  :D

We can't all be next to Tyson and Wal-Mart.  ;)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Hawg2011 on August 19, 2009, 09:30:31 pm
This is great...

Arkansas' Sports Editor...downplaying the Hogs. On the "Greatest Hog Board".

And we wonder why our sports coverage is so chitty?

Oh lighten up.  It's Troy... not Ole Miss or LSU.  :'(

Reaganite

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 04:35:13 pm
Blakeney DID...NOT....SAY.... IT... PUBLICLY...

Gee.  If that was the standard a few years ago, we wouldn't have been on a constant breaking news wild coach chase.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hogfan064 on August 18, 2009, 02:25:51 pm
Troy didn't play Arkansas last year.  ULM and WIU nearly beat that rebuilding Arkansas team.  If we had played Troy in weeks 1 or 2 last year then I think they might have beaten us.

Troy would have handed us our arses if we'd played them the first couple games last year. Troy is always salty. They have a history of knocking off teams from BCS conferences.

However, this year isn't last year and I think Troy is a year late for the upset win. In any case I like it. This comment just made this game a lot more interesting. I wasn't even thinking about it and now I'm looking forward to it.

hoginator

I read the story... you should as well. Nothing left to figure out, Blakeney DID...NOT....SAY.... IT... PUBLICLY...

note the saying.. "let it slip".  Looks like a moron radio host said something publicly that should have been private.

http://www2.nwanews.com/blogs/slophouse/2009/08/18/troy-will-beat-hogs-trojans-coach-tells-radio-host/

Make fun of Blakeney if you want, but I've never known him to say anything publicly about another team. Ever.
Very disappointed. You can now officially take "Scoop" out of your name...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

hoginator

Quote from: Reaganite on August 19, 2009, 10:12:12 pm

Gee.  If that was the standard a few years ago, we wouldn't have been on a constant breaking news wild coach chase.

And wouldn't need someone to "Scoop" the story...

The Hogfather

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on August 19, 2009, 10:16:32 pm
They have a history of knocking off teams from BCS conferences.

No, they don't.  Not at all.

They are 3-25 against teams from BCS conferences, since 2001, when they became an FBS team.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/confres.pl?start=1920&end=2008&team=Troy&limit=50

The Hogfather

In fact, they have a .500 record against the MAC and a 2-4 record against CUSA.  The only league they have a winning record against is the Sun Belt.  One of, if not THE worst conference in college football.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hoginator on August 19, 2009, 10:18:20 pm
And wouldn't need someone to "Scoop" the story...

oh.. but you did need someone.

hoginator

Blakeney DID...NOT....SAY.... IT... PUBLICLY...

He may not have SAID IT PUBLICLY but it is now PUBLIC. "Scoop" it...

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hoginator on August 19, 2009, 10:42:44 pm

He may not have SAID IT PUBLICLY but it is now PUBLIC. "Scoop" it...

I'm glad he did. Nothing to lose... they get a big paycheck regardless.

Sivad

Quote from: HoginHeat on August 19, 2009, 07:16:24 pm
Well after all, Troy is picked to win the Sun Belt.
Do you even get a ring for something that trivial?

hoginator

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 10:51:34 pm
I'm glad he did. Nothing to lose... they get a big paycheck regardless.
Your allegiance to your school is clouding your "scooping" abilities. That's why you get a paycheck... :P

kenstabler

Monk-N-Dunk

forrest city joe

Here is the bottom line to this thread folks. Troy is going to get beat when we play them. the only way they win is if our team does not show up at the stadium.no use even getting worked up about it.and it matters not what their coach said.

Razorvet

Anyone else get choked up everytime Brandy pulls up in that cab and rescues Joe Dirt from that bridge.

"I love you Jou Dirt and I want to take you home and make a bunch of little Joe Dirts."

I still cant figure out how the academy overlooked this film.

Apollo

Hey guys, Troy fan here.

I doubt Coach Blakeney said this. He even picked FIU to win the Sun Belt this year...

Anyways, Troy has a very experienced team this year.

Troy's key players are:

OFFENSE

QB Levi Brown, Sr. - returning starter, named to "2009 Manning Award watch list"
RB DuJuan Harris, Jr. - returning starter, 1,000+ rushing yds last year,  named to "2009 Doak Walker watch list"
WR Jerrel Jernigan, Jr. - will be a three year starter, 860 receiving yds + 250 rushing yds despite missing 2 games last year, named to "2009 Biletnikoff Award watch list"
WR Josh Jarboe, R-Fr. - 4-star Oklahoma transfer, ranked #3 WR in the nation (ESPN), and #4 deep threat (rivals)
C Danny Franks, Sr. - will be a 3-year starter, named to "2009 Lombardi watch list" and "2009 Rimington Award watch list"

In addition Troy returns several experienced WRs/OLs

DEFENSE

DE Brandon Lang, Sr. - named to "Lombardi/Hendricks/Nagurski Watch lists", projected 1st round NFL draft pick by USA Today, CBSSports, CNNSI, ESPN and scout.com - former 4-star prospect
DT Eugene Kinlaw, Jr. - 4-star JC transfer, ranked #5 JC player (overall) in the nation (rivals.com), NJCAA Defensive Player of the year
DT Kevin Dixon, Sr. - 4-star Nebraska transfer (former starter)
DE Cameron Sheffield, Sr. - will be a 3-year starter, named to "2009 Lombardi Award watch list"
MLB Boris Lee, Sr. - will be a 4-year starter, named to "2009 Lombardi Award Watch list", projected 6th round draft pick (nfldraftscout)
LB Bear Woods, Sr. - returning starter, named to "2009 Lombardi Award watch list"
CB Jorrick Calvin, Sr. - returning starter and punt returner, pretty solid DB

In addition, Troy returns its entire special teams units (ranked #12 in the nation by Phil Steele this year.)

Troy has a lot of depth this year (especially DL and WR), however we have to replace 3 DBs (2 safeties, 1 CB). Both safeties are seniors, though.

Arkansas should be one of the most improved teams in the country this season. I expect a close game...

Dropkick

Jabroni

Quote from: Razorvet on August 20, 2009, 11:24:30 am
Anyone else get choked up everytime Brandy pulls up in that cab and rescues Joe Dirt from that bridge.

"I love you Jou Dirt and I want to take you home and make a bunch of little Joe Dirts."

I still cant figure out how the academy overlooked this film.

Dude you literally bout made me spit my drink on my screen at work. That's the most random, best quote I've ever read on Hogville. Thank you.

Does your mother sew??....... Booom!!!! Get 'er to sew that!

Reaganite

Reaganite

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 06:13:47 pm
   Well you got me there. I admire your enthusiasm.

Just remember you haven't been much in the SEC since joining. Unless U and Houston would like to compare Western rings.   8)

Is this how you're supposed to build a loyal viewership for your sportscasts?  Going on a multi page pissing contest with Hog fans over how bad we've been in the past?

Brilliant marketing strategy.

You haven't been consulting for Obama on his healthcare strategy by any chance?

PorkFryRice

August 21, 2009, 08:13:24 pm #191 Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:18:27 pm by PorkFryRice
Scoop?

athunt

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 20, 2009, 10:28:46 am
Here is the bottom line to this thread folks. Troy is going to get beat when we play them. the only way they win is if our team does not show up at the stadium.no use even getting worked up about it.and it matters not what their coach said.

Or if we let Pel coach the football team that day.... ;)
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

razorbackkid

Five pages of wasted space, wasted time,  and wasted energy to ponder the consequences of what one man may have said about a game that is a couple months away.

And I read every word of it. 

Wow.

I'm officially ready for football.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

grayhawg

Quote from: razorbackid on August 22, 2009, 07:47:38 am
Five pages of wasted space, wasted time,  and wasted energy to ponder the consequences of what one man may have said about a game that is a couple months away.

And I read every word of it. 

Wow.

I'm officially ready for football.
Me too, and after reading some comments I have blocked channel 40 on all my televisions.

razorbackkid

Quote from: grayhawg on August 22, 2009, 07:55:04 am
Me too, and after reading some comments I have blocked channel 40 on all my televisions.

+1  Living in Lower Alabama it would serve no purpose for me to block channel 40, however, Troy is only about an hour away......I could set up some detours around the city!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

FaulknerHogfan

hmmm.. ok and we will beat Florida and win a NC this year.  AND people call us homers.

Pigdiana Jones

Wait. Troy couldn't beat us when we had TCTWF on a "rebuilding" year behind the helm. What makes him think they can beat us now that we have one of the best coaches in the nation, with the talent we have....
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Steef

Quote from: salebow on August 22, 2009, 08:35:16 am
Wait. Troy couldn't beat us when we had TCTWF on a "rebuilding" year behind the helm. What makes him think they can beat us now that we have one of the best coaches in the nation, with the talent we have....

In fairness to Troy's coach, it appears they've improved also. They're at the top of their game right now.

Doesn't mean I think they'll beat us. Just that the comparisons are skewed for both sides.

Hangin w tha Hawgs

August 22, 2009, 10:37:18 am #199 Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:04:07 am by Hangin w tha Hawgs
If troy thinks arkansas is gonna be bad like last year, they got another thing coming. Troy is good against the spread offense but they don't know about the quick release of malletts passes, nor do they know about broderick green. What i love about petrino's strategy, is that he will switch the Qb's and Rb's in and out to confuse the defenses.Plus Troy is playing in Fayetteville and the crowd will be firing up the players, and that will not be good for troy. :razorback:

I expect arkansas will be in there game by the time troy comes to fayetteville.

Arkansas wins it :razorback: