Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy...... Coach "We WILL Beat Arkansas"

Started by Hogblog, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

Mark Lericos

Being a Troy alum, I know Blakeney quite well. I doubt he ever said anything publicly about beating Arkansas. If he said it on the side, then that's entirely different isn't it? What coach doesn't feel confident about his team? And many times, Troy can back up their play against the power schools (beat Missouri, nearly beat FSU, LSU, Nebraska, etc).

The problem for Troy is they catch Arkansas later in the year. The Trojans play several big name schools, and routinely wear down in November. Nature of the beast, and the result of cashing in on big paydays.

All that said, anyone claiming it's a victory already is insane. Arkansas was 5-7... and the defense was smoked all year long. Until we see what's different in '09, I don't think either side should claim victory.  :-X

Jborohog09

Quote from: BloodRedHog on August 19, 2009, 10:06:19 am
Totally my thought as well.  Last year was their chance....they blew it.

I think yall are getting Troy confused with Tulsa.

aar0n

everyone knows troy and tulsa are pretty much the same thing, right?

forrest city joe

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 18, 2009, 08:55:54 pm
Late last year with nothing better to do I just happened to tune in to the
Troy-Lsu game. Troy dominated them through three quarters by 38-10.
LSU ran off 30 unanswered points to win 40 to 38. If Troy has all those
people back then anything is possible. You guys better start making plans
because these guys are a legitmate threat.
Troy is going to get their ass kicked.PERIOD! we'll lay a half a hundred on them.

The Hogfather

Quote from: softserve on August 19, 2009, 10:22:09 am
This is exactly what I was thinking of.  OSU fans were SHOCKED.  This is not a rent a win IMHO.  Sure we should be the favorite, but we definitely need to show up.

That was at Troy and Okie State sucked arse that year.  I think we will be better than they were that year, our game against them is at home, and now our guys have some extra motivation.  Even if he meant ASU, I hope Petrino uses it to make sure our guys don't overlook them.

hoginator

Not quite as brave as Keith Burns guaranteeing Tulsa would beat OU. Burns said it in front of tv cameras...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Mark Lericos

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 12:44:01 pm
That was at Troy and Okie State sucked arse that year.  I think we will be better than they were that year, our game against them is at home, and now our guys have some extra motivation.  Even if he meant ASU, I hope Petrino uses it to make sure our guys don't overlook them.

Ok, show me a public comment from Blakeney directly saying it. I'll sit back and wait.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The Hogfather

August 19, 2009, 01:00:03 pm #110 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:30:30 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 12:32:34 pm
Being a Troy alum, I know Blakeney quite well. I doubt he ever said anything publicly about beating Arkansas. If he said it on the side, then that's entirely different isn't it? What coach doesn't feel confident about his team? And many times, Troy can back up their play against the power schools (beat Missouri, nearly beat FSU, LSU, Nebraska, etc).

The problem for Troy is they catch Arkansas later in the year. The Trojans play several big name schools, and routinely wear down in November. Nature of the beast, and the result of cashing in on big paydays.

All that said, anyone claiming it's a victory already is insane. Arkansas was 5-7... and the defense was smoked all year long. Until we see what's different in '09, I don't think either side should claim victory.  :-X

Here is a historical breakdown of Troy against a few teams:

Arkansas----------0-2, average score of 13-34.5
Arkansas State----2-3
Florida------------0-1, Score:  31-59
Florida State------0-1, Score:  17-24
Georgia-----------0-1, Score:  34-44
Georgia Tech------0-1, Score:  20-35
Iowa State--------0-1, Score:  12-42
Kansas State------0-1, Score:  5-41
LSU---------------0-2, Average Score:  25.5-32
Maryland----------0-1, Score:  14-47
Miami-------------0-1, Score:  7-38
Missouri-----------1-2, Average Score:  17.3-36.7
Nebraska----------0-4, Average Score:  7.5-39.8
South Carolina-----0-2, Average Score:  13.5-31

Overall Record:  3-23     Average Score: 16.7-38.8

Hog1952

Are we talking about Troy or Roy? It doesn't matter the result will be the same!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 12:48:24 pm
   Ok, show me a public comment from Blakeney directly saying it. I'll sit back and wait.

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 19, 2009, 12:44:01 pm
Even if he meant ASU, I hope Petrino uses it to make sure our guys don't overlook them.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 12:48:24 pm

Out of curiosity - unless there is some unspoken media rule against it - why don't you call the school and ask the coach directly? I mean hell even not as a media personality but as an alum - surely you could get the truth and make this whole debate pointless.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Burt B.

Quote from: TomasPistola on August 19, 2009, 01:54:57 pm
Out of curiosity - unless there is some unspoken media rule against it - why don't you call the school and ask the coach directly? I mean hell even not as a media personality but as an alum - surely you could get the truth and make this whole debate pointless.

^^^this

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Snuff on August 19, 2009, 02:00:51 pm
^^^this

Because I'm smart enough to know he didn't say it publicly. Which is my point. Prove it to me otherwise. What coach is going to talk crap about the 9th game on their schedule in August?

It's ridiculous. What's even funnier is that some Hog fans just dismiss Troy like they'll run up 300 on them.. when the Hogs couldn't beat Mississippi State, and barely beat La Monroe and Western Illinois a year ago.  ???

Boston RedHogs

This isn't so ridiculous. 

Why is it okay for Arkansas fans to say we can beat Georgia, but the Troy coach is out of his mind to say he's going to beat Arkansas?

I realize it's the coach who said it, but if he doesn't show belief that his team will win, what are they possibly going to think?  It's a non PC answer from our standpoint, but Troy players and fans are loving it.

I'm glad he made the comment.  Maybe it will result in Troy not taking the game as seriously as they would have had the coach not made the comment.

GO HOGS!!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on August 19, 2009, 03:54:28 pm
This isn't so ridiculous. 

Why is it okay for Arkansas fans to say we can beat Georgia, but the Troy coach is out of his mind to say he's going to beat Arkansas?

I realize it's the coach who said it, but if he doesn't show belief that his team will win, what are they possibly going to think?  It's a non PC answer from our standpoint, but Troy players and fans are loving it.

I'm glad he made the comment.  Maybe it will result in Troy not taking the game as seriously as they would have had the coach not made the comment.

GO HOGS!!

If I read the story correctly, he said it over a meal to a friend, and it's been passed around. So Blakeney didn't even go in front of a booster club or the media proclaiming victory. He merely told a friend he thinks Troy will win (I would bet he said they have a GOOD SHOT to win).  And I would agree. Much ado about nothing. November is a LONG WAY OFF... and Troy is a blip on the Hogs schedule.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 03:49:18 pm
Because I'm smart enough to know he didn't say it publicly. Which is my point. Prove it to me otherwise. What coach is going to talk crap about the 9th game on their schedule in August?

It's ridiculous. What's even funnier is that some Hog fans just dismiss Troy like they'll run up 300 on them.. when the Hogs couldn't beat Mississippi State, and barely beat La Monroe and Western Illinois a year ago.  ???

I have no problem with them thinking they can. If they don't believe it they certainly won't. I simply asked if you could confirm whether he said it or not. Sorry, I thought it would be cool to know the truth. Geez.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hoginator

Because I'm smart enough to know he didn't say it publicly. Which is my point. Prove it to me otherwise.
A member of the media has the ability and credentials to gain access to attempt to "prove" whether he said this or not. The average fan does not...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

pimpndistress

Quote from: razorbrass on August 18, 2009, 08:43:06 pm
I don't think we heard the whole story.

Blakeney, when reminded that Houston Nutt no longer coached at Arkansas, replied, "Ooops, my bad"
LOL thats a good one
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

olemissbydamn

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 18, 2009, 08:55:54 pm
Late last year with nothing better to do I just happened to tune in to the
Troy-Lsu game. Troy dominated them through three quarters by 38-10.
LSU ran off 30 unanswered points to win 40 to 38. If Troy has all those
people back then anything is possible. You guys better start making plans
because these guys are a legitmate threat.

I agree. I think Arkansas will win it, but it will be closer than people here think. This is one of those games where Arkansas stands nothing to gain. It's a trap game. Win and everyone says "oh well, it's Troy". Lose and it's a big deal.

Here are a few 2009 previews for Troy...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/news/newstest.aspx?id=4247441

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/football-previews/2009-preview/troy-trojans-preview.html

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hoginator on August 19, 2009, 04:23:21 pm
A member of the media has the ability and credentials to gain access to attempt to "prove" whether he said this or not. The average fan does not...

I read the story... you should as well. Nothing left to figure out, Blakeney DID...NOT....SAY.... IT... PUBLICLY...

note the saying.. "let it slip".  Looks like a moron radio host said something publicly that should have been private.

http://www2.nwanews.com/blogs/slophouse/2009/08/18/troy-will-beat-hogs-trojans-coach-tells-radio-host/

Make fun of Blakeney if you want, but I've never known him to say anything publicly about another team. Ever.

aar0n

I cant believe this has even inspired this much debate.  I seriously doubt he said it, but even if so, WHO CARES?  ITS TROY.  I'm not saying its a blow-off game, but come on people!  Since when has anyone in the Sunbelt been able to ruffle our feathers (other than that whole UA vs. ASU debate last year)? 

jgphillips3

I personally don't believe the coach said it.  Massively stupid move on his part if he did.

Troy is a good team, but these upsets usually happen when the major program is on a downswing (ala Michigan in Lloyd Carr's last year) or when the program is reassembling itself (ala the victory over a stumbling Alabama team in Saban's first year).  Arkansas is in neither of those situations. 

We are progressing and it will take monumental injuries, once in a lifetime flukes or extreme hubris on the part of Arkansas players to lose to this game.  Sure Troy may play us closer than we think, but there will be no upset.

Hangin w tha Hawgs

August 19, 2009, 04:48:14 pm #126 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:03:55 pm by Hangin w tha Hawgs
Petrino will have the troy game circled and will have the players ready, they know what happened at LSU last year and it will not happen again.Troy can defend the spread all they want, what are they gonna do when smith and green are crushing the defense in the running game? Not a dam thing!!

Its a trap game alright, with troy being hung out to dry!! :razorback:

Razorvet

What is Arkansas record against Sunbelt teams again?

I know Arkansas has had some down years but not a single time has that resulted in a loss to a Sunbelt team. Do you think Arkansas is in for that kind of year with all SEC RB Smith, All SEC TE Williams, All World Heisman candidate in waiting QB Ryan Mallett, our improved Oline, Improved secondary, improved LBs, improved recievers, Addition of Broderick Green, etc, etc, etc....?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 03:57:28 pm
   If I read the story correctly, he said it over a meal to a friend, and it's been passed around. So Blakeney didn't even go in front of a booster club or the media proclaiming victory. He merely told a friend he thinks Troy will win (I would bet he said they have a GOOD SHOT to win).  And I would agree. Much ado about nothing. November is a LONG WAY OFF... and Troy is a blip on the Hogs schedule.
They have no chance. the hawgs will kill them. just wait and see. we will lay a half a hundred on them.

Razorvet

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 19, 2009, 04:46:59 pm
I personally don't believe the coach said it.  Massively stupid move on his part if he did.

Troy is a good team, but these upsets usually happen when the major program is on a downswing (ala Michigan in Lloyd Carr's last year) or when the program is reassembling itself (ala the victory over a stumbling Alabama team in Saban's first year).  Arkansas is in neither of those situations. 

We are progressing and it will take monumental injuries, once in a lifetime flukes or extreme hubris on the part of Arkansas players to lose to this game.  Sure Troy may play us closer than we think, but there will be no upset.

No matter how bad our defense is or is not our offense will move at will against Troy. They do not have the joes to slow us down. Remember LSU wasnt shut down by Troy last year, LSU didnt have an offense at that point in the season. They still rallied against a tired Troy defense. And I think they return the fewest starters of any team in the Sun Belt. We will run the ball at will and pass at will and the score will be in the 70's.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 19, 2009, 04:52:21 pm
They have no chance. the hawgs will kill them. just wait and see. we will lay a half a hundred on them.

That kind of confidence is laughable. It truly is. From Florida it's ok...

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 05:08:12 pm
  That kind of confidence is laughable. It truly is. From Florida it's ok...
It wont be so  laughable when we destroy them. we are not going to lose to this 2nd rate team.PERIOD! dont take my word for it. just come back on here after the Hawgs killed them.Mallett and CBP will have a field day.

aar0n

This thread is raising my blood pressure... 

CantonHog

I kind of like the way this guy is stirring the pot. This is the kind of leader you want taking your troops into Battle. May the team that wants it most come out on top

forrest city joe

Quote from: CantonHog on August 19, 2009, 05:19:26 pm
I kind of like the way this guy is stirring the pot. This is the kind of leader you want taking your troops into Battle. May the team that wants it most come out on top
Are you kidding me? it matters not if this guy says it or not. CBP aint losing to Troy.NOT A CHANCE!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 19, 2009, 05:16:14 pm
It wont be so  laughable when we destroy them. we are not going to lose to this 2nd rate team.PERIOD! dont take my word for it. just come back on here after the Hawgs killed them.Mallett and CBP will have a field day.

2nd rate? At least we win our conference (last 3 years). And we know where we are in the football food chain. Do u?  ;)

CantonHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 19, 2009, 05:21:42 pm
Are you kidding me? it matters not if this guy says it or not. CBP aint losing to Troy.NOT A CHANCE!

I am not saying He will do it, I am defending his right to say it, and saying that it is an admirable quality in a HC

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 05:22:06 pm
2nd rate? At least we win our conference (last 3 years). And we know where we are in the football food chain. Do u?  ;)
You won the freaking Sunbelt. give me a break.i know where Arkansas in the world of college football now that Dork is gone. in a few years under a great coach like CBP, we will be a national power again. just like were were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. troy is nothing in the world of college football.

grayhawg

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on August 19, 2009, 05:22:06 pm
Careful, your Troy roots are getting riled up. ;)

aar0n

Somebody lighten the mood and repost popcorn trojan already

deshahawg

All I can say is that's crazy for a coach to do that. We'll see what happens, but I don't see it.

forrest city joe

Quote from: CantonHog on August 19, 2009, 05:25:10 pm
I am not saying He will do it, I am defending his right to say it, and saying that it is an admirable quality in a HC
He has every right to say whatever he wants. i dont care if he said it or not. it matters not. because we aint losing to Troy.PERIOD!

aar0n

Mark Lericos

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 19, 2009, 05:33:41 pm
You won the freaking Sunbelt. give me a break.i know where Arkansas in the world of college football now that Dork is gone. in a few years under a great coach like CBP, we will be a national power again. just like were were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. troy is nothing in the world of college football.

Well you got me there. I admire your enthusiasm.

Just remember you haven't been much in the SEC since joining. Unless U and Houston would like to compare Western rings.   8)

Mark Lericos

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 19, 2009, 06:09:24 pm
You seem to think the word "publicly" provides Blakeney with some sort of pass.  'He didn't MEAN to say it aloud' appears to be your argument.  And that's supposed to dispel the fact he's obviously thinking as much?  WOW!

Again, why shouldn't he have confidence privately? He's defeated power conference teams... MSU, OKlahoma State, Missouri, nearly beat FSU, LSU, Nebraska... etc. Troy is not scared of anyone.

I keep going back to Arkansas being 5-7 last season with a defense like a sieve. It's not like he said they would beat the Gators.  You could very easily lose to Troy.

Will you? probably not... Petrino is too good and the talent is better than Troy. It's the idea that it's IMPOSSIBLE for Troy to have confidence amazes me.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: PorkOpine on August 19, 2009, 06:27:33 pm
I don't disagree with anything you just stated.  Confidence is good, but it only took one slip of a tongue to greatly decrease Troys odds of defeating the Hogs.  I think that's what most folks in this thread are trying to say...including me.     

I honestly don't believe this will resurface in 3 months. Had it been Les Miles or Nutt? Sure. But Troy coach? I dunno... Petrino seems to motivate quite well on his own. The Hogs look like they mean business, bulletin board material or not.

texas tush hog

I looked at their roster and that quarterback that almost beat LSU is back.
Could be interesting, they have a good program but I doubt we will overlook
them like LSU did.

HamHands

Well after all, Troy is picked to win the Sun Belt.
One day at a time.

Hawgon

I have no doubt he said it and that he believes it.  Remember, this is the same guy who after we killed them at home a few years ago said that the only difference between the two teams was "No. 5 and No. 25."  An essentially true statement, but really not all that gracious of a thing to say.

He is remembering the talent level of a few years ago and has watched film of last year's team.  He is confident.  He said it.  He said it to a media member whom he regarded as a friend.  Of course, that media member knows something that none of our Arkansas media seems to know, and that is of course, reporters have no friends only sources.