Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy...... Coach "We WILL Beat Arkansas"

Started by Hogblog, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogblog

From Phil Steele's Blog......

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/August09/DBAug14.html

I did a show on Monday in Alabama with Robert Booth. Robert said that last week he met with coach Larry Blakeney of Troy and that coach Blakeney told him they WILL beat Arkansas this year! He also said that in all the years that he had talked with the coach over the summer, it was the first time he had told him of a projected upset like that.

athunt

"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

SemperHawg

Wow, he just took any chance of us overlooking them and dropped big stinky dump on it.  I have repect for Troy to an extent but this is a little big for their britches IMO

StoernerJonesFan

If Troy cant beat a rebuilding 5-7 Arkansas last year, what makes him think they can beat an Arkansas team full of depth, talent, and experience (in CBP year 2)?

Quote from: athunt on August 18, 2009, 02:09:35 pm
ballsy
^ Understatement :)

Patch

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

TechHog

TomasPistola

Haha. His year to beat us was last year. Didn't happen.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ray Zor

Thanks coach !  You just assured half a hundy hung on your sac!
GO HOGS

Bryan (CHF)

Yeah, I'm bad. I'm a Sun Belt Team Coach that just painted a huge target on the back of my teams head.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

hogball33

Maybe Long payed him to say that so the stands get packed for a mid-November non-conference game.

DeltaBoy

That is funny! Troy is going to feel Coach Petrino's Wrath.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan064

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on August 18, 2009, 02:16:39 pm
If Troy cant beat a rebuilding 5-7 Arkansas last year, what makes him think they can beat an Arkansas team full of depth, talent, and experience (in CBP year 2)?

^ Understatement :)

Troy didn't play Arkansas last year.  ULM and WIU nearly beat that rebuilding Arkansas team.  If we had played Troy in weeks 1 or 2 last year then I think they might have beaten us.

Chad In Real Life

Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

Blutoblutarsky

StoernerJonesFan

Quote from: hogfan064 on August 18, 2009, 02:25:51 pm
Troy didn't play Arkansas last year.  ULM and WIU nearly beat that rebuilding Arkansas team.  If we had played Troy in weeks 1 or 2 last year then I think they might have beaten us.
Touche' Thanks for catching that, friend!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 18, 2009, 02:25:25 pm
That is funny! Troy is going to feel Coach Petrino's Wrath.

Heck, Bobby may have put him up to it.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The real Hogules

Quote from: 240bgunner on August 18, 2009, 02:19:39 pm
stranger things have happened. . . . . . . .

Uhhhhhhhhhh, no they haven't.

That's his @$$ talking because his head has better sense!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Table Rocker

I'm taking us to cover, no matter the spread.

Petrino is gonna make sure we absolutley curb-stomp Troy.

Porkerpower

Troy could STILL catch us looking ahead.  That will not be an easy W.

athunt

This is the first time, that I remember, somebody has called us out since Petrino was at the helm.  Im VERY interested to see what he does to Troy.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Guitar Hog

Sounds like coach is trying to drum up any kind of interest in this game for it's fans because they lose to teams like us every year.  That and maybe Coach is trying to get some publicity or something?  What was his name again?  Oh yeah, it doesn't matter because you coach Troy!

kimjongsqUeAl

Troy shall be desTROYed. Stupid statement especially from a coach.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

SquidBilly

Petrino could use this as bulletin board material for the rest of fall practice and the entire season.  If the head coach at Troy calling us out doesn't motivate the guys to be there best nothing will.  I suspect on November 14th on a plane ride back to Alabama, Blakeney will wish he had not said this. 

GuvHog

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on August 18, 2009, 02:42:09 pm
Troy shall be desTROYed. Stupid statement especially from a coach.

........Especially when one considers that last year LSU spotted them 31 points and then
proceded to come back and BEAT them, THEN lost to Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cajun Hog

SquidBilly

Quote from: Triple P on August 18, 2009, 02:51:01 pm
That's just not very smart.  ;D   

One good thing will come out of this for them, they'll get free publicity because it will probably be featured on Sportscenter due to the beating we'll put on them.

Beantown Razahback

Shouldn't Sun Belt coaches stick to calling out Sun Belt teams?

If you're so confident you're going to beat Arkansas, I expect you to run the table in your own league guy

LZH

Quote from: athunt on August 18, 2009, 02:39:32 pm
This is the first time, that I remember, somebody has called us out since Petrino was at the helm.  Im VERY interested to see what he does to Troy.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this.  Checking Bobby's wind?...better be able to walk it like ye talk it.

jacobp

I'm still not convinced that Troy's coach actually said it.  Steele got this from someone who reportedly heard it from Troy's coach.  I'd be more convinced if he had a direct quote from Troy's coach Blakely.  That said, I'm sure its on the bulletin board already.

Hornkiller

"I did a show on Monday in Alabama with Robert Booth. Robert said that last week he met with coach Larry Blakeney of Troy and that coach Blakeney told him they WILL beat Arkansas this year! He also said that in all the years that he had talked with the coach over the summer, it was the first time he had told him of a projected upset like that. "

And I bet it's the last time....

jdevers

Everyone here now knows what it is like on those Bama and UGA message boards when we declare that we will destroy them.

Of course, this is their HC calling for the upset...that is a bit odd.  Except that indirectly CBP has said he is expecting a national championship, so indirectly he has said he will upset FLA, GA, Bama, OM, and LSU  ;)  But he would never call a specific team out, especially pre-season.

WMHawgfan

I don't care how good your team is or what conference you play in, that is just plain stupid.

Sivad

About as smart as the dork's "I sure wish Vanderbilt was on our schedule" comment.

LZH

Quote from: jacobp on August 18, 2009, 02:55:14 pm
I'm still not convinced that Troy's coach actually said it.

That's probably more like it.  Why would you do something like that if you were the coach?

BP strikes me as the type that would spend game week in his office living on coffee and NoDoz, looking for any and every way to beat the hell out of you...and that's before he's been called out.

3kgthog

They might've had a decent shot before. Not now.

hawgsav1

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one just for fun.

Troy has been one of the better Sun Belt programs over the last few years.  They've won the Sun Belt the last 3 years in a row, and have had a winning record 4 out of the past 5 years, which isn't bad for a conference that is more known for its rent-a-wins than its football prowess.  IF Troy wants to take the next step up and improve the Sun-Belt's standing or perhaps move to a better conference or improve recruiting, they are going to have to get some notable wins and media attention.

Calling out the Hogs does several things.  It brings media attention to Troy football.  If Arkansas destroys Troy, it will go down as no big deal.  Some little guy talked a little trash, and got exposed. 
If by some chance (though it won't happen), Troy beats Arkansas or keeps it close, it will be good publicity for Troy that they will use to their advantage.  Look at all the major non-BCS programs out there.  They all got legitimacy after they either beat or were very competitive with big name BCS teams.  Boise State really didn't get legitimacy until they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.  Fresno State didn't get legitimacy until they nearly defeated USC in the Coliseum in 2005, when everyone thought USC was infallible.  Utah, BYU, and TCU play in one of the better non-BCS conferences (the MWC), and while they were always regarded as sleeper teams, they didn't really get that big time legitimacy until they played in BCS bowls and/or showed they could compete and defeat the big guys (TCU defeating OU comes in 2005 comes to mind as well). 

Another thing that calling out Arkansas does is galvanize Troy's players.  Players from rent-a-win schools aren't stupid.  Most of them know that they're pretty much being paid to get stomped, which can't be good for morale and confidence.  Blakeney probably wouldn't do this if he thought that his team wasn't good enough to potentially beat the Hogs.  His statement probably gives the Troy players confidence that they can beat the Hogs, especially now since their coach has faith in them as well.  If you look at most of the major upsets over the past few years, all of the underdogs had confidence.  Boise State was extremely confident against OU.  Appalachian State was also extremely confident against Michigan.  Stanford had to have been confident against USC, right?

These kinds of upset victories are rare, but not unheard of.  ULM defeated Alabama in Saban's first season.  Troy has a 0.500 record against Mississippi State.  Historically, North Texas has a winning record against both Florida AND Tennessee.  So it is possible.

While I don't think Troy will defeat us this season, I do see why Blakeney is taking the gamble.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Speedracer

Nice! I love when teams put out the bulletin board material.  I'm sure BP and staff will be reminding them of this.
Like smites bother me.

mj4president

Just ask the man who's 40 (42 now) about Troy. They smoked his ass a few years ago.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

NorthshoreBoar

All I know is I'm now looking forward to this game, and before it was just another game.  If the coach admits he said this, I'm anticipating a full house a RRS for the game.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

little pigee

Just don't let the darned horse in the gate!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Hogblog on August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 pm
From Phil Steele's Blog......

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/August09/DBAug14.html

I did a show on Monday in Alabama with Robert Booth. Robert said that last week he met with coach Larry Blakeney of Troy and that coach Blakeney told him they WILL beat Arkansas this year! He also said that in all the years that he had talked with the coach over the summer, it was the first time he had told him of a projected upset like that.
Oh no he didn't.

navyhog24

Quote from: The real Hogules on August 18, 2009, 02:32:49 pm
Uhhhhhhhhhh, no they haven't.

That's his @$$ talking because his head has better sense!

remember the citadel??

so yes...stranger things have happened

Big Papa Satan

Maybe Blakeney had us confused with ASU.

DoggtownHog

I believe Troy is 5-0 vs SEC teams after Sept. But that stat can't stop what's coming.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

SamBuckhart

Trojans of Troy. Not USC. If he wins, he is a prophet. When he loses he will be ridiculed. If he gets far behind in the fourth quarter it will not be pleasant for him.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

NWAhogfan

I met a Troy alumni once.  He talked with great pride how they always covered the spread against teams from major conferences.  They rarely won, but they covered the spread.

cbjagman

While Troy can certainly be a dangerous team, especially if overlooked, I don't think we'll have to worry about us looking past them, not with current staff. Glad they made the public prediction cause it serves to ensure that we take them seriously. Might not have been the smartest thing to make this bulletin board material.

Steef

Very strange for any coach to talk like that. Dunno what he was thinking.

But I doubt very much if it alters anything OUR Coach was planning for that game. I don't know Coach P, but I believe this of him...

He expects/intends to win 12 games during every regular season. Until/unless the other guy proves him wrong.

Coach P just doesn't strike me as a guy that takes ANYTHING for granted. Including an opponent like Troy.