Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daniel Stegall?

Started by Wooderson, July 12, 2009, 09:37:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

Is he out of baseball?  If so, will he be returning to college for football? 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

JoePaul03

Quote from: Wooderson on July 12, 2009, 09:37:19 pm
Is he out of baseball?  If so, will he be returning to college for football? 

I'm pretty sure Stegall was released by the Mets organization last week, and I think he's back in AR now. I do believe he is very interested in playing football at the college level, but I have no idea who is interested in him at this point.
WCOB, 2003

Oklahawg

Yes, I think Stegall is looking at returning to the gridiron.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

COCHISE

Didn't Larry Coker sign him at Miami?

JoePaul03

Quote from: 870 RZR on July 12, 2009, 10:52:34 pm
Didn't Larry Coker sign him at Miami?

Yeah, but I think he was actually recruited by the OC that Coker brought in before he got fired.
WCOB, 2003

mj4president

Quote from: JoePaul03 on July 12, 2009, 11:00:25 pm
Yeah, but I think he was actually recruited by the OC that Coker brought in before he got fired.

I think that OC recruited him while he was at LA Monroe then took the job at the U. Could be wrong. Memory may be rusty.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

JoePaul03

Quote from: mj4president on July 12, 2009, 11:03:10 pm
I think that OC recruited him while he was at LA Monroe then took the job at the U. Could be wrong. Memory may be rusty.

I think that's right...The guy had been recruiting him for ULM or wherever, and then he got hired by Miami, who had a few scholarships left and they offered Stegall one.

I'd like to see him play somewhere...He sure was fun to watch in HS at Greenwood.
WCOB, 2003

Boarcephus

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2009, 10:46:30 pm
Yes, I think Stegall is looking at returning to the gridiron.

He's been out of football for 3 years and that's tough.  The Booty kid at LSU was the #1 qb pick in the nation a few years ago and he went the pro baseball route, bombed, and then tried to get back in college football and met with limited success.   Matter of fact, the HC at LSU said at the time he'd never recruit another baseball player because of Booty.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

2FNFST4U

Stegall was a last minute offer after Pat Devlin decommitted from Miami and verballed to Penn St. 2 weeks before signing day.

Another example of what a poor HC Coker is/was. No back up plans. Went 3 classes without signing a QB. UTSA will never get off the ground with him sinking the ship.

QuoteThe Mets selected Stegall in the 7th round (214th overall) of the 2006 amateur draft out of Greenwood High School in Arkansas. Stegall made his professional debut in 2006 with the GCL, and in 2007 played at Kingsport and Savannah. He had committed to play QB at the University of Miami before signing with the Mets. Stegall was born in Flowood, Mississippi.

Contract/Options Status: Signing Bonus: $145K | Released 6/25/09

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuya2HltK7wkAinBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12ke7v8hc/EXP=1247572022/**http%3a//www.nyfuturestars.com/players.php%3fplayer=daniel_stegall

JoePaul03

I think he might have a better chance of catching on somewhere if he is able/willing to play something in addition to or besides QB...I'm not saying he can't play QB in college, because he's obviously a great athlete, but it seems like QB would be about the hardest position possible to play with a three year layoff.

One thing in his favor is that he won't cost anyone a schollie (I don't think) since the Mets will be paying for his college education.
WCOB, 2003

ballhawg12

Word in Greenwood is that he wants to walk on to the U of A

rzrbckfan426

He gets his college paid for by the mets.  So he can be a walk-on.  He's talked to the hogs staff and he's also still talking to some MLB clubs.  The marlins worked him out last week I believe.  Haven't spoken to him since then but baseball is still an option as well.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ballhawg12 on July 13, 2009, 08:41:55 am
Word in Greenwood is that he wants to walk on to the U of A
a waste of his time....Stegall would be better served heading on down to SAU and becoming a Mule Rider
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

woodrow hog call

Curious as to why you would say that it would be waste of time, he is bigger and stronger now still runs well, put him in the  slot on offense and create some matchup problems for a defense,  or safety on defense and let him plaster some folks coming over the middle, just a couple of places he could be used to our advantage, I'm sure Petrino can come up with more ways than that to use him.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Michael Porkleone

Waste of time?  What the hell are you talking about?  On what basis are you making that statement?
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

junkyardhog

yeah, Weinke at FSU and Carter at Georgia did a poor job after their stints in the minors
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

gwddog

July 13, 2009, 07:09:58 pm #16 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:12:14 pm by gwddog
I would love to see Daniel play for the Hogs. What I know about him is that he's very smart. He does stuff on the field that you just can't coach. He is very fast and can play in the secondary. He is a really great kid and a leader on and off the field. He can also punt the ball. Oh yeah did I mention that he can really punt the ball a mile. He would definitely be an asset. He reminds you of a young Matt Jones in the way he plays at quarterback.
back 2 back 2 back

Michael Porkleone

He has a great arm and decent speed for a 6.2 QB.  Also, as mentioned above he is a smart kid.

The Petrinos would welcome this kind of walk-on with open arms.
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

athunt

I wish him the best! But if he walks on thats really gonna throw a wrench in my plans for Brandon Mitchell!! Hopefully the best QB will earn the job.  I have hope the Mitchell will be one of the great QB's to come through here and be in the category of a Vince Young, McNabb, and Dennis Dixon. Great legs, athleticism, and arm!
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: athunt on July 13, 2009, 08:35:14 pm
I wish him the best! But if he walks on thats really gonna throw a wrench in my plans for Brandon Mitchell!! Hopefully the best QB will earn the job.  I have hope the Mitchell will be one of the great QB's to come through here and be in the category of a Vince Young, McNabb, and Dennis Dixon. Great legs, athleticism, and arm!

It would be a good wrench!

baitshop

Was told by a family member that Oklahoma State is interested in visiting with Daniel. Was also told that he would not enroll in the fall instead using that time to get himself and his arm into football shape....
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

rzrbckfan426

Talked to stegall yesterday.  Has a meeting with Auburn and Miss St. coming up. The OC at Miss St. recruited him to A&M out of HS.  Seems to be looking forward to the meeting with Gus this weekend.  He wont enroll til next spring to try and get back into QB shape.  Still looking into some minor league ball situations as well.  Either of those situations would be good for him even though none of us would like to see him play against us on the field.

The Hogfather

He was awesome in Under Siege!

hogball33

Somebody is going to give him a scholly, i doubt he's walking on anywhere.

southeasthog

Quote from: hogball33 on July 16, 2009, 03:41:45 pm
Somebody is going to give him a scholly, i doubt he's walking on anywhere.
He is not your normal walkon. The Mets will be paying for his college education. There is no need for anyone to give a scholarship.

ballhogger14u

no one will have to give him a schollie, the mets will pay for his college education

The Hogfather

Quote from: ballhogger14u on July 16, 2009, 03:45:50 pm
no one will have to give him a schollie, the mets will pay for his college education
Quote from: southeasthog on July 16, 2009, 03:45:29 pm
He is not your normal walkon. The Mets will be paying for his college education. There is no need for anyone to give a scholarship.
Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on July 13, 2009, 09:54:54 am
He gets his college paid for by the mets.  So he can be a walk-on.  He's talked to the hogs staff and he's also still talking to some MLB clubs.  The marlins worked him out last week I believe.  Haven't spoken to him since then but baseball is still an option as well.

Has anyone mentioned that Stegall will have his college education paid for by the Metropolitans?

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2009, 03:46:42 pm
Has anyone mentioned that Stegall will have his college education paid for by the Metropolitans?

Will CPB have to make someone leave so we can give him a scholarship?

hogball33

Can 5 more people type the same thing again. I need to know who's going to be paying this young man's college education. I'm not sure I got it.

ListenHereMister

I think the Mets are paying for his college.

Zen_Hog

Can Stegall afford to walk on a team, cause I don't think someone will offer a QB who has been out of football for 2 years.

Kris P. Bacon

This thread just Steven Hill
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 13, 2009, 11:07:40 am
a waste of his time....Stegall would be better served heading on down to SAU and becoming a Mule Rider

Why do you say that? Did he get hurt or something?

bigdaddyhawg

I would love to see Stegall walk on at the UA.  Who would all you Greenwood homers pull for then?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 16, 2009, 09:00:31 pmWho would all you Greenwood homers pull for then?

Very good question.

The_Bionic_Pig

July 16, 2009, 09:03:52 pm #35 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:06:40 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Do we have enough room to offer him a scholarship?

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 16, 2009, 09:00:31 pm
Who would all you Greenwood homers pull for then?

Mallet.

Real answer is whoever can lead us to a BCS bowl game in the next 3 years.  I know the character of 2/3 of these guys and our program would be in outstanding hands.

gwddog

I would love to see Stegall walk on at the UA.  Who would all you Greenwood homers pull for then?
THE RAZORBACKS!!!!
back 2 back 2 back

BADASSPIG

Wherever Gus is coaching.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: BADASSPIG on July 17, 2009, 10:42:49 pm
Wherever Gus is coaching.

I don't know about that one.  Still, if Stegall is here all those guys rooting against Mallett will have to make a decision if they get their wish!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NWAREDBUG

He was at camp in Auburn today...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NWAREDBUG on July 18, 2009, 05:48:00 pm
He was at camp in Auburn today...

You know, if he went to Auburn, considering the lack of talent at QB for Gus' system, he might end up starting down there, rust and all.

Clint Alan

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2009, 03:46:42 pm

Even if the Mets are paying for his tuition, it will still count against the schools 85 schollies........

NCAA rules state that a student who plays sports, only a loan or his/her parents can pay for his schooling. Any other source of school funding counts against an athletic scholarship. So, he will count against some schools 85 schollies available.

I was informed of this a little while back....

Google JR House(not sure if you will find anything, just an example), he played for West Virginia, and the Pittsburgh Pirates were paying for his school. He counted against their 85.
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Hogblog

He only counts against the 85 when he takes the field.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Hogblog on July 19, 2009, 02:16:21 pm
This is what I was thinking. I thought they had to play a certain amount of time before they counted.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Clint Alan

Quote from: Hogblog on July 19, 2009, 02:16:21 pm

JR House wasnt even on the WVU roster for their bowl game that year, so I dunno how much play time actually goes into the 85 count.....

I just know that even if the Mets are paying for it, it would count against our 85.....Otherwise, there would be no limits on who paid for who's college....

Ya know...
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

PorcineSublime

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 19, 2009, 03:09:45 pm
JR House wasnt even on the WVU roster for their bowl game that year, so I dunno how much play time actually goes into the 85 count.....

I just know that even if the Mets are paying for it, it would count against our 85.....Otherwise, there would be no limits on who paid for who's college....

Ya know...
Makes sense, just never thought of it really.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Clint Alan

Quote from: PorcineSublime on July 19, 2009, 03:19:22 pm
Makes sense, just never thought of it really.

I didnt realize it either, until a week or so back, and he explained it to me as well.....

It makes plenty of sense though......I actually understand the NCAAs stance on one rule now.....

chbags

BadDogGHSDogPound

Nope, he's in no hurry and he has no reason to be. It'll be 2010 season before he's with a school and he's still having tryouts with other major league clubs.
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com