Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss offers Ritter

Started by ballhogger14u, December 22, 2008, 04:27:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan160

It was discussed earlier that Ritter would probably punt and kick-off.

FaulknerHogfan

Kickers most of the time get 1/4, 1/2. or 3/4 of scholie.  I was a kicker and had a 1/2 ride.  So, for a kicker to get a full ride, that is good!

It wouldnt suprise me if Hootie offered this kid just to spite AR.

Idahog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 22, 2008, 07:40:09 pm
I just wonder if Tejada hasn't talked to Petrino already about leaving the program  and that is why Petrino went after this kid so late in the game.  I seem to remember that we were hearing about Petrino recruiting a second QB and then not long after that we get the news of Nathan's transfer.  Just a thought.

I hope not, I think with some more rehab Tejada could live up to his potential, I'm of the camp that thinks Tejada wasn't fully recovered/confident when he got tossed into the fire.  Not that anyone had much of a choice.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

LAHOGG

What a Moron Nutt is!  Two Kickers? Really!  If Ritter commits to Ole Miss that would make 30% of their class either a kicker or a running back.  He has to be the worst recruiter ever and the Ole Miss fans don't see it yet!  Their going to have probably 15 RB's on scholly next year and three Kickers.  What is that like 20% of their roster? 

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: AnthroHog on December 22, 2008, 04:49:46 pm
So, Ole Miss is now going to be signing two kickers.  I don't understand how Ole Miss covered all that and it is a full ride.  Did he get an academic scholarship?  His GPA is a 3.5 and his ACT is a 25, does that get one a full ride at Ole Miss?
I would hope not... I had to have a 32 on the ACT to get a full ride to UA.  I think it's possible with a slightly lower score but you have to have a very high GPA.

Of course, based on what I know about Ole Miss's academics, I wouldn't be surprised if a 25 got you a full ride.

hogindallas

IMO you guys are looking at Hootie's offer to the kid the wrong way.  I think he KNOWS he'll look like the ASS he is if Petrino comes in and nabs a kicker out of his backyard. (even if he didnt initially evaluate the guy highly) The point is..it's selfrish, in a way....if you look at it from this perspective. He's covering his backside.

felixfan

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 22, 2008, 05:37:31 pm
Danny has to have someone with him to order for him anyway.  Otherwise they'll bring him three of everything he orders.  "I'll have a Oreo...Oreo...Oreo...blast...blast...blast"

dude that's just wrong lol. 

I bet BP is pulling a Shaq about right now.
Houston... tell me how my Ass tastes!!! lol

pimphog

Quote from: ballhogger14u on December 22, 2008, 04:27:40 pm
On the front of rivals front page with ole miss , says they have offered him a full ride,  i don't think we get him now

Nutt never offers a kicker...I can't believe this crap.  What a loser!

RunnerHog

Quote from: old hog on December 22, 2008, 05:42:41 pm
That ain't right...... Funny. But not right.

Have you seen my Baseball?

GuvHog

December 22, 2008, 10:19:20 pm #59 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:21:12 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: pimphog on December 22, 2008, 10:06:15 pm
Nutt never offers a kicker...I can't believe this crap.  What a loser!

Wrong. He offered Brandon Odonahoe from El Dorado a full scholarship and he accepted. He also offered
a full scholarship to our current kicker (Tejada).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jst01

December 23, 2008, 07:14:35 am #60 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:40:23 am by jst01
too bad..

Steef

December 23, 2008, 07:24:18 am #61 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:58:56 am by steefhog

He hasn't committed to Miss. yet.

jst01

Quote from: steefhog on December 23, 2008, 07:24:18 am
He hasn't committed to Miss. yet.

oh........got ya Ritter, we love you in AR!   ;)

hognc2010

He really liked Ark but if he would read some of the posts it may make him change his mind and belieive people when they say our fans are so bad.

I wish people would think before they say something about someone.

jst01

Quote from: hognc2010 on December 23, 2008, 07:33:06 am
He really liked Ark but if he would read some of the posts it may make him change his mind and belieive people when they say our fans are so bad.

I wish people would think before they say something about someone.

if he bases his decision to come to AR because of a message board post, then he deserves a Mississippi education. chill out.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 22, 2008, 06:48:35 pm
I suspect that Petrino doesn't give a rat's arse about Houston Nutt's recruiting class. His focus is on bigger and better things, notably the UA recruiting class.

Petrino didn't offer Ritter just to put Nutt in a bind. In fact, I'd bet money he could care less about Nutt's bind - he simply wants a good kicker.

I agree. I dont think it has anything to do with the mind game people are saying Petrino is playing with nutt. We have a focused coach no need for mind games. It just real recruiting something we were not used to over the past 10 years.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: FaulknerHogfan on December 22, 2008, 08:23:20 pm
Kickers most of the time get 1/4, 1/2. or 3/4 of scholie.  I was a kicker and had a 1/2 ride.  So, for a kicker to get a full ride, that is good!

At the DI level there are no partial schollies in football.  It's 100% or nothing.

Smolder

I thinlk he is referring to the years played under scholarship.

cardinalandwhite

Maybe Nutt offered Ritter in an attempt to return to the top 50 in recruiting.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

jst01

Quote from: idochog on December 23, 2008, 10:02:36 am
Typical day at Houston Nutt Recruiting headquaters:

9am: Get up, text donna

10am: Shoot some hoops

11-2: Lunch at Sonic, courtesy of Danny Nutt

3pm: More Hoops

4pm: Phone call to Otis GRIT kirk to see who Petrino is recruiting

5pm: Print out offers to all kids on Petrino's list and make scholarship offer

6pm: Look self in mirror and repeat 3 times: " I'm a winner and a fighter, and dog gone-it, people like me." 

6:30pm: Google search "Man boob removal"

Hawgvillain

Quote from: jst01 on December 23, 2008, 10:09:09 am
6pm: Look self in mirror and repeat 3 times: " I'm a winner and a fighter, and dog gone-it, people like me." 

6:30pm: Google search "Man boob removal"

LoL...if odus actually knew who we had offered then i would believe every bit of this...

wholehog92

I believe this to be a win-win for AR either way.  Whether Petrino intended it or not. 

Ol Miss options:

1.  Yanks an offer from one of two kids.  One in his home state or one in a neighboring state he fancies himself "raiding".  Either option is not good for future recruiting.

2.  He spends next year with 3 kickers on scholarship. (The senior and two offered freshman.)  We are "competing" with Ol Myth for several recruits since tctwf has been chasing BP offers.  That's one less spot he can offer.

3.  TCTWF will eventually have to either drop one of the schollies or have two kickers as seniors at the same time.  He will then either have to take a chance on a freshman to follow up or again have 3 kickers on scholarship.

4.  Loses an instate kid to us for Ol Miss fans to watch kick into the end zone for us against them.  A kid with all kinds of connections to Ol Miss.  We could happily use this kid as a weapon.

5.  We have another year before recruiting a kicker is of prime importance.  It would be nice to get one this year, but not a necessity.  We can go the walk on route as in the past or wait till next year to offer a prime candidate.  Mallet and Green can both punt pretty well also.

Petrino accomplished all of this with one offer of a scholarship.  He could have offered any kicker in the country.  This one wasn't necessarily the best.  I don't consider it out of the question he would offer this particular one to put a division competitor in a compromised position, tctwf or not.  I believe our coach will take every opportunity to get an advantage in whatever he's doing.  I like that.  I do believe he evaluates needs and talent to make his offers, but when an opportunity to fill a need with either kid A or Kid B and Kid A puts an in division rival in a bad position, why wouldn't he choose that kid to offer first?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

El Puerco

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 23, 2008, 10:54:37 am
....since tctwf has been chasing BP offers. 

I'm glad you guys are feeling it too.

jgphillips3

Just a question to those who actually know: Can a kid get an academic scholarship and participate in practice only while redshirting and get an athletic scholarship the following year when he is no longer a redshirt or must anyone practicing with the team be on athletic scholarship?

gohogsgo006

Nutt is just trying to save face. It would look awful for us to sweep in and get one of the best kickers in Mississippi in just 2 months of recruiting when Nutt was "recruiting" him all year.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

OTTER

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 23, 2008, 10:54:37 am
I believe this to be a win-win for AR either way.  Whether Petrino intended it or not. 

Ol Miss options:

1.  Yanks an offer from one of two kids.  One in his home state or one in a neighboring state he fancies himself "raiding".  Either option is not good for future recruiting.

2.  He spends next year with 3 kickers on scholarship. (The senior and two offered freshman.)  We are "competing" with Ol Myth for several recruits since tctwf has been chasing BP offers.  That's one less spot he can offer.

3.  TCTWF will eventually have to either drop one of the schollies or have two kickers as seniors at the same time.  He will then either have to take a chance on a freshman to follow up or again have 3 kickers on scholarship.

4.  Loses an instate kid to us for Ol Miss fans to watch kick into the end zone for us against them.  A kid with all kinds of connections to Ol Miss.  We could happily use this kid as a weapon.

5.  We have another year before recruiting a kicker is of prime importance.  It would be nice to get one this year, but not a necessity.  We can go the walk on route as in the past or wait till next year to offer a prime candidate.  Mallet and Green can both punt pretty well also.

Petrino accomplished all of this with one offer of a scholarship.  He could have offered any kicker in the country.  This one wasn't necessarily the best.  I don't consider it out of the question he would offer this particular one to put a division competitor in a compromised position, tctwf or not.  I believe our coach will take every opportunity to get an advantage in whatever he's doing.  I like that.  I do believe he evaluates needs and talent to make his offers, but when an opportunity to fill a need with either kid A or Kid B and Kid A puts an in division rival in a bad position, why wouldn't he choose that kid to offer first?
That sums it up nicely!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

TrojanHog

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72896

Ok, I am now convinced that TCTWF is following us around and offering players we offer.

In this link is a QB from Georgia, a junior, that Coach Petrino offered early.  His only other offer? Ole Miss.

Did Nutter ever offer an out of state player in their junior year when here?  Especially before the current class's signing day.

I was going to stay out of this discussion because I figured, yeah he probably is, but of course he is going to offer Ritter because he is a local guy, but then I ran across this link and had to bring it over from the Claude Johnson discussion. 

I'm guessing this strategy won't last long though when he loses countless recruiting battles.  His ego can't stand that sort of thing.  The only problem I see is that we'll be helping the dummy find players he never would have found and he'll get a few of them, either because they like his cheerleader attitude, or because we'll get our fill of players and they'll have to go somewhere else, and most likely ones that Petrino offers will be better than ones that Nutt could have ever found.

idochog

Quote from: TrojanHog on December 23, 2008, 03:54:34 pm
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72896

Ok, I am now convinced that TCTWF is following us around and offering players we offer.

In this link is a QB from Georgia, a junior, that Coach Petrino offered early.  His only other offer? Ole Miss.

Did Nutter ever offer an out of state player in their junior year when here?  Especially before the current class's signing day.

I was going to stay out of this discussion because I figured, yeah he probably is, but of course he is going to offer Ritter because he is a local guy, but then I ran across this link and had to bring it over from the Claude Johnson discussion. 

I'm guessing this strategy won't last long though when he loses countless recruiting battles.  His ego can't stand that sort of thing.  The only problem I see is that we'll be helping the dummy find players he never would have found and he'll get a few of them, either because they like his cheerleader attitude, or because we'll get our fill of players and they'll have to go somewhere else, and most likely ones that Petrino offers will be better than ones that Nutt could have ever found.

I'm convinced he is getting his info from his little minions Biddy and Kirk and using that to follow Petrino around.
I love Jesus!

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 23, 2008, 02:57:07 pm
Just a question to those who actually know: Can a kid get an academic scholarship and participate in practice only while redshirting and get an athletic scholarship the following year when he is no longer a redshirt or must anyone practicing with the team be on athletic scholarship?

Good question.  I'd like to know as well.  I'm betting that anyone on scholarship who practices counts against the athletic scholarship limits, or teams would do this every year to get around the 25 limit rule.

hogfan446

Who cares.  It is a kicker.  Good for hootie.

LongTimeReader

Quote from: abostian on December 23, 2008, 04:12:04 pm
Good question.  I'd like to know as well.  I'm betting that anyone on scholarship who practices counts against the athletic scholarship limits, or teams would do this every year to get around the 25 limit rule.

This is correct.  If memory serves, I believe for a while during their "dynasty" Nebraska had some sort of "academic" scholarship program that helped them collect all those 5th-year-senior linemen they were so fond of, thus prompting the rule change.

LSPRazorbac

December 23, 2008, 06:12:10 pm #81 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:16:39 pm by LSPRazorbac
No academic schollies do not count as athletic schollies until said player plays a snap in a game then the academic scholly is considered an athletic scholly.

A recruit can walk-on with an academic scholly but for the school to change it to an athletic scholly they must have a schoolie available from said players original class.

So basically, Ritter could walk-on with an academic scholly, redshirt then ride the bench or relinquish the academic schollie while waiting for one of the 2009 scollies becomes available.

southeasthog

Quote from: hogfan446 on December 23, 2008, 05:01:19 pm
Yeah, he's "just" a kicker. You do realize that if we would have had a dependable kicker this year, we would be talking about our bowl game instead of recruiting right now? Special teams cost us games every year with the mcNutt. I'm glad to see Petrino putting an emphasis on the kicking game.

TomasPistola

Yeah I agree. A kicker cost us 2 games at least.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: hogfan446 on December 23, 2008, 05:01:19 pm

I'll tell you who cares about our kicking game.  Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State.  Also, Auburn should have been a whipping, were it not for kicking.  We'd be 8-4 with an accurate kicker.  So I care.

jackflash

Where we get Ritter or not. BP wanted him because he a great fit for the Hogs. Lets wait and see what happens, bet BP doesn't back off.

All_Hogs

Jackson Academy (where Ritter is) is a high-dollar private school.  They regularly have students make a perfect 36 on the ACT.  I would expect Ritter to have great academics and could stay with us 4 great years.

GuvHog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on December 24, 2008, 10:00:43 am
I'll tell you who cares about our kicking game.  Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State.  Also, Auburn should have been a whipping, were it not for kicking.  We'd be 8-4 with an accurate kicker.  So I care.

IMO, Alex Tejada never had time to fully recover from his injury and this affected his
performance all season. During the off season he will have sufficient time to
completely recover so I believe he will have a much, much better year in 2009. Getting
Ritter would help greatly on Kickoffs, punts, and he would eventually be the field goal
kicker once Tejada graduates or leaves early for the NFL (don't think the early NFL part
will happen).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

condohog

I have a hard time with the injury excuse... He may not have been 100% but IF he is making them in practice then he should be able to make them in the games.  That is what baffled Petrino. Tejeda was making them during the week just not on Saturdays.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 24, 2008, 02:04:58 pm
IMO, Alex Tejada never had time to fully recover from his injury and this affected his
performance all season. During the off season he will have sufficient time to
completely recover so I believe he will have a much, much better year in 2009. Getting
Ritter would help greatly on Kickoffs, punts, and he would eventually be the field goal
kicker once Tejada graduates or leaves early for the NFL (don't think the early NFL part
will happen).

It may be mental.  He wasn't his old self out there.  Whether he was worried about exposing his leg and taking a funny hit or whether he is jsut nervous of his leg in games, something is up.

TomasPistola

Quote from: condohog on December 25, 2008, 11:28:04 am
I have a hard time with the injury excuse... He may not have been 100% but IF he is making them in practice then he should be able to make them in the games.  That is what baffled Petrino. Tejeda was making them during the week just not on Saturdays.

I agree with this. That's why during that one game Petrino reamed him and asked him if he missed it on purpose. He was completely baffled.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

TrojanHog

From reading the last post and what Ritter said about basically getting a full ride my guess is that his ole miss offer is:

Please walk on with an academic scholarship and redshift the first year. When a spot opens up next year you get it. Academic scholarships count against the class if they play in a game so if he sits the first year everybody is happy. A spot in this class has to open up before Ritter can switch to a football scholarship though, so somebody in ole miss's class will have to not qualify and Nutt is still anticipating on using 2 spots from this class for kickers. Nice 

Sure hope this plan doesn't work out for Nutt.

SquidBilly

It may be good news for us that even though Ritter seems to think what Nutt is offering is a full ride he still hasn't committed.  Could still mean we have a good shot.

southeasthog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 25, 2008, 04:11:27 pm
It may be good news for us that even though Ritter seems to think what Nutt is offering is a full ride he still hasn't committed.  Could still mean we have a good shot.
Maybe that nutt told him to hold off and see what he gets and if there is a scholarship left he would get it. If not, than the academic redshirt deal. I think like you though. The fact that he hasn't pulled the trigger may mean that he is still weighing our offer.