Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did we not sign Deangelo Williams

Started by upperdeck_hawg, December 21, 2008, 08:21:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

upperdeck_hawg

I dont remember the recruiting details and how close we came to getting or not getting this guy, but he's looking like a future HOF this year.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

DubHawg

From what I have heard, either his grandmother or mother was sick and he wanted to stay closer to home, which Memphis was.

ekyle1

If I remember right...It was something about he wanted to the same school as his girlfriend....maybe wrong though...

hog_fan

He wrote no on his LOI and faxed it in. Zero respect for him for doing that. very disrespectful.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ekyle1 on December 21, 2008, 08:27:06 pm
If I remember right...It was something about he wanted to the same school as his girlfriend....maybe wrong though...

Yeah, the girlfriend thing was what was commonly reported as the excuse.  He actually committed to us late in the process, but then switched at the last minute.  I can't remember if it was him, but there was a recruit's mom who faxed in her son's LOI with her signature but not his making it illegitimate.  That might have been him, but not sure.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hog_fan on December 21, 2008, 08:28:34 pm
He wrote no on his LOI and faxed it in. Zero respect for him for doing that. very disrespectful.

If true, and considering the coaching staff recruiting him, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was provoked.  Regardless, I agree that doing something like that, if true, is certainly inappropriate.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bigyellowdog

December 21, 2008, 08:44:09 pm #6 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:49:38 pm by bigyellowdog

I heard his girlfriend had a big part in him attending Tiger High.  DeanglNO wrote "NO" in huge letters on his LOI.  I almost felt sorry for TCTWF when that happened, however with the Hugger media there is no telling what really happened. 

woodhog14

He didn't do that on purpose. He was interviewed about that and was confused about something on the LOI. Can't remember exactly what it was, but he didn't do it on purpose.

If any of you have seen an LOI, it's like signing loan papers. Lots of legal jargin and several leagal size pages long.

old hog

That's the story I heard. Although, anything coming out of Nutt's office at that time
probably was total BS. Don't think Petrino would let him go that easily

Drunken Tailgater

Quote from: woodhog14 on December 21, 2008, 08:44:52 pm
He didn't do that on purpose. He was interviewed about that and was confused about something on the LOI. Can't remember exactly what it was, but he didn't do it on purpose.

If any of you have seen an LOI, it's like signing loan papers. Lots of legal jargin and several leagal size pages long.

Porkys Revenge

People use to say it was because he didn't want to compete with DeArrius Howard. I find that very hard to believe. I blame Nutt.

Drunken Tailgater

If he was too stupid to figure out to sign his name and wasn't answering a yes/no question, he undoubtedly made the right choice by attending Tiger High.

moonswine

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 21, 2008, 08:21:23 pm
I dont remember the recruiting details and how close we came to getting or not getting this guy, but he's looking like a future HOF this year.

He was shipped Fed Ex from Wynne to Memphis.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Drunken Tailgater on December 21, 2008, 08:46:46 pm
If he was too stupid to figure out to sign his name and wasn't answering a yes/no question, he undoubtedly made the right choice by attending Tiger High.

Looks like you are living up to your name tonight.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

southwesthog

I love the name...... DRUNKEN TAILGATER... you sound like me on a sat in fay, LR.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on December 21, 2008, 08:46:29 pm
People use to say it was because he didn't want to compete with DeArrius Howard. I find that very hard to believe. I blame Nutt.

was dearrius howard in the same class? that means ced cobb was still in school. maybe he was afraid of competition, but still its a bad job of recruiting by nutt to be a running school and lose a rb from your own state to a lower tier school
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

JIHawg

Nutt put all the emphasis on Howard, and DeAngelo was just an afterthought.  We really didn't recruit him very hard.  Additionally, his girlfriend went to Memphis, and his mother wanted him closer to home.

They did send in the LOI with "no" written on it.  Not much class there.

ballhog88

If i remember right Darius Howard was a 5 star recruit one of the top running backs in the country. That was also the class with Cedric Houston and he ended up going to Tn. Who would have figured we would get the worst one of the 3.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: ballhog88 on December 21, 2008, 09:00:39 pm
If i remember right Darius Howard was a 5 star recruit one of the top running backs in the country. That was also the class with Cedric Houston and he ended up going to Tn. Who would have figured we would get the worst one of the 3.

nutt did have a thing for howard. i remember the vandy game in faytteville where nutt kept two future 1st rounders on the bench while howard played the whole game.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

greasy_corner

I do know for a fact that he was taken care of at Tiger high.  Nothing life-changing, but in the thousands none-the-less.  Friends with the booster that provided it. 

I doubt this was going on before the LOI incident, I think he just saw the log-jam at TB...and Nutt did recruit the Howard harder. 

ferrellhog

Howard while mr foottball in aransas and widley recruited weas not a 5 star running back either a high 3 or low 4 star

rangertaunton

Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

RunnerHog

December 21, 2008, 10:25:05 pm #22 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:29:18 pm by RunnerHog
Quote from: ballhog88 on December 21, 2008, 09:00:39 pm

Howard was a 4 star back as was Houston. They both were a year earler than Williams. Williams was also a 4 star.

Oh I almost forgot, Scout, you know the sorry service Odus and Biddy use, had Williams as a one star and Poole as a three star. They are about as useless as Trey and Odus.

dr_arkansawyer

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 21, 2008, 08:50:20 pm
still its a bad job of recruiting by nutt to be a running school and lose a rb from your own state to a lower tier school
Isn't that Nutt's legacy at Arkansas?
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

hawgwash

He was the same year as Dedrick Poole from LR Central.  Poole was the big recruit that year.  He never did much for the Hogs, however.

Hawgrox

There was a hole in the fence over around Marion...

sonicbob

Girlfriend was a major factor and the whole process drove Don Campbell crazy.  He wanted him on the hill.

LLPL

mj4president

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on December 21, 2008, 08:46:29 pm

Howard was very highly ranked that year. He was way ahead of Cedric Benson.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

win-streak

Boarcephus

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 21, 2008, 08:50:20 pm
was dearrius howard in the same class? that means ced cobb was still in school. maybe he was afraid of competition, but still its a bad job of recruiting by nutt to be a running school and lose a rb from your own state to a lower tier school

The thing I remember is Danny Nutt basically challenging his manhood during the recruiting process saying if he came to Arkansas he'd have to compete.  Looking back, I think that was during a time Nutt was still running pretty good numbers in the public opinion poll and got a little uppity as he's prone to do.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: mj4president on December 22, 2008, 01:13:03 am
Howard was very highly ranked that year. He was way ahead of Cedric Benson.
Not sure what Cedric Benson has to do with anything but this is not right.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 21, 2008, 10:33:45 pm
There was a hole in the fence over around Marion...

Was that the same fence Pete Carroll built around Arkansas during the hootie years?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Papawhog

If I remember correctly, he was also told by the Memphis recruiting staff that they would make him their feature back. I also remember many on here, or whatever it was then, saying they would rather have Howard anyway for he was the better back. Figured it was just mad, outburst talk. Remember a lot of discontent on this board over this. Talk of his girlfriend also rumored, as well as his grandmother. Ended up being the real deal at Memphis .... and now. Oh well, CBP will not let anything like this happen.

elviscat

Hootie was nutting it on the phone with his girlfriend instead of recruiting.

razrken

Nutt was told by broyles to stay clear because we were involved in that NCAA investigation at the time and didn't need to take any chances.

hogsanity

I remember the following reasons being thrown around

1.  Girlfriend

2.  Staying close to family

3.  Hogs had too many Rb's

4.  Memphis told him he would be the back, they would get him 20+ touches per game

5.  Other ( payoffs, did not want to compete for pt, wanted to play in a weak league to pad his numbers ).

Who knows why 18 yr olds do what they do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dianne fineswine

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 21, 2008, 08:21:23 pm
One expalanation at the time was that Deangelo's mother was recruited by FEDEX. 
Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

86jacketstchamps

December 22, 2008, 10:58:02 am #38 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:00:54 am by 86jacketstchamps
Lot's of rumors being discussed here in this case...but the facts are as follows. 

1. UA told him he would be a DB for them as their backfield was full.
2. Williams wanted to compete at RB, and if it didn't work out then he would not mind going to the defensive side.  This was answered with a NO.
3.  Girlfriend had little to no bearing on this at all.
4.  Tommy West told him he would be the feature back, and that he would end up leaving Memphis with yardage record.....Little did he know that would come true.
5.  Nutt's did not recruit him very hard, as they felt he was not the talent that Howard was and they felt his place was on defense.  I will admit that he could really play the corner well, and was a punishing hitter.
6.  The LOI fax with NO written on it did happen, and I for one was disappointed in that response and wished he hadn't done that.  I would say he would agree now that it was not a good choice at the time to handle it that way.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hawgvillain on December 22, 2008, 07:34:28 am
Not sure what Cedric Benson has to do with anything but this is not right.

Perhaps he was thinking of Cedric Houston, who also jumped that fence of Hootie's and headed to Volville. 
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

MJ2

Quote from: hogsanity on December 22, 2008, 09:37:22 am
I remember the following reasons being thrown around

1.  Girlfriend

2.  Staying close to family

3.  Hogs had too many Rb's

4.  Memphis told him he would be the back, they would get him 20+ touches per game

5.  Other ( payoffs, did not want to compete for pt, wanted to play in a weak league to pad his numbers ).

Who knows why 18 yr olds do what they do.

I think Forrest City Joe can better tell us what Memphis has been doing to get FB and BB recruits.

hogvan

I know people  in Wynne and they said he was not promised that he would get to play by Coach Nutt.  His aunt and mother both had cancer during that time.  He wanted to go to Fayetteville, but Nutt ticked off the coaches here too and they did not push him to go there.  That is heresay of course.   I think the U of A football coaches at that time, really treated the Northeastern part of Arkansas terrible when recruiting.  Nutt loved Darius Howard also, the Landers' winner.  Memphis promised Deangelo the moon and  to get to play his freshmen year and it was closer to his home.  He was not pursued enough out of Fayetteville, I know for a fact.  People here in Wynne couldn't be prouder of him and we were mad for years that Memphis got him. 

razrken

This is as plain as it can be stated....broyles told nutt to back off with investigation pending on all the other stuff...thats as factual as it can get.  what was meant by that i was never told but that came from soemone close to the situation mods pm for source.

TN HOG

Play like a Champion!

Sivad

It boils down to:

Nutt is a crappy and lazy recrutier.
Nutt is a poor judge of talent.

Tusks

he became part of the college fedex intern program.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pignoramus

December 23, 2008, 12:37:36 am #47 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:56:25 am by Pignoramus
Two is doing great in the NFL, as he did in his college career at Memphis.  His college recruitment was certainly interesting to say the least.      ;)

Big Papa Satan

December 23, 2008, 04:02:32 pm #48 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:05:49 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 21, 2008, 08:37:07 pm
Yeah, the girlfriend thing was what was commonly reported as the excuse.

That was not even remotely true. 

I graduated with the girl in high school.  I also had a college course with her a year later, and asked her point blank.  She never went to Memphis State, and had no bearing with him going there.

hoghearted

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on December 22, 2008, 10:58:02 am
Lot's of rumors being discussed here in this case...but the facts are as follows. 

1. UA told him he would be a DB for them as their backfield was full.
2. Williams wanted to compete at RB, and if it didn't work out then he would not mind going to the defensive side.  This was answered with a NO.
3.  Girlfriend had little to no bearing on this at all.
4.  Tommy West told him he would be the feature back, and that he would end up leaving Memphis with yardage record.....Little did he know that would come true.
5.  Nutt's did not recruit him very hard, as they felt he was not the talent that Howard was and they felt his place was on defense.  I will admit that he could really play the corner well, and was a punishing hitter.
6.  The LOI fax with NO written on it did happen, and I for one was disappointed in that response and wished he hadn't done that.  I would say he would agree now that it was not a good choice at the time to handle it that way.

Man, where you been? You need to post more. A lot more.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle