Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mackey

Started by Tusks, December 20, 2008, 11:13:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

any news on Mackey......haven't seen any threads.

;D  8)  :P
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

idiotghos

Then probably not...

cmiller01

This weekend could very well be the last time he steps on the VT campus.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nutted on December 20, 2008, 11:13:45 am
any news on Mackey......haven't seen any threads.

;D  8)  :P

The Mackey thread is in Vents and Rumors now.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

chortle

Quote from: cmiller01 on December 20, 2008, 11:18:57 am
This weekend could very well be the last time he steps on the VT campus.
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2008, 11:20:03 am
The Mackey thread is in Vents and Rumors now.

Which tells you all you need to know.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: chortle on December 20, 2008, 11:20:57 am

Which tells you all you need to know.

Really? What does it tell you?  I mean the two comments you attached seem to be in conflict?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Porkatarian

Things are looking good with Mackey.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 20, 2008, 11:32:51 am
Things are looking good with Mackey.

Porkatarian out...

Did I understand correctly that BP and the boys have an inhome with Mackey in the near future, or has that already happened?

h0gfan6

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2008, 11:26:46 am
Really? What does it tell you?  I mean the two comments you attached seem to be in conflict?

Yeah, he was really just saying that it's in Vents and Rumors because, whilst some of the information being posted is probably true (here's hoping :D), so many unverifiable statements, like the other comment he posted, made the thread a rumor thread.

J.A.Y.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2008, 11:34:25 am
Did I understand correctly that BP and the boys have an inhome with Mackey in the near future, or has that already happened?

already happened...
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Tusks

I know BB...thats why I brought it back.....

Anyways.....so theres about a 70% on Mackey and 70% on Thornton
99% on Coleman.

That's what I gather from all the boards and threads.

Do you think BP gets all 3 if he can get them?

What about Gaines?  He looks 50/50.....would BP take all 4?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nutted on December 20, 2008, 11:58:37 am
I know BB...thats why I brought it back.....

Anyways.....so theres about a 70% on Mackey and 70% on Thornton
99% on Coleman.

That's what I gather from all the boards and threads.

Do you think BP gets all 3 if he can get them?

What about Gaines?  He looks 50/50.....would BP take all 4?

I think BP wants three more DL recruits...Mackey, Thornton, Gaines/Coleman.  I think just about any combination of those 4 would be great.  I do tend to prefer heavier numbers at the DT position in this class, so I'm hoping for Thornton, Gaines, and Mackey.

IronHog

So is Mackey a kid ready to come in and play at a high level?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Tusks

so anybody heard anything new?

DMACStillRunnin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2008, 12:03:41 pm
I think BP wants three more DL recruits...Mackey, Thornton, Gaines/Coleman.  I think just about any combination of those 4 would be great.  I do tend to prefer heavier numbers at the DT position in this class, so I'm hoping for Thornton, Gaines, and Mackey.

Dude... Coleman is a beast even if he is small. I want Mackey, Coleman and Gaines. Thornton I am not so sold on although all four would be really awesome. Speed kills in the SEC.
Mark Ingram winning the Heisman truly confirms how much of a sham it was for Darren McFadden to be jobbed two years in a row.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: DMACStillRunnin on December 20, 2008, 02:06:48 pm
Dude... Coleman is a beast even if he is small. I want Mackey, Coleman and Gaines. Thornton I am not so sold on although all four would be really awesome. Speed kills in the SEC.
all 4 would be amazing.  maybe we could actually get a pass rush.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

SouthBeach

A little bit of inside info......a good source (my brother) is in the athletic dept. at VT and was on the academic side of things last year when VT had gained a commitment from Mackey.  He told me this past week that it doesn't look like Mackey will qualify again even if he wants to go to VT and that Frank Beamer is pushing him toward Arkansas because he does not want to face him at Clemson.
Are our academic standards less than VT's?

songofthesword

southeasthog

Quote from: PorkOpine on December 20, 2008, 02:53:12 pm

YEP!  I've got a friend that graduated from Auburn in Aeronautical Engineering and VT wouldn't touch him.
But they will take anyone named Vick.

hawgwash

Quote from: southeasthog on December 20, 2008, 02:59:05 pm
But they will take anyone named Vick.
Didn't know they had an animal husbandry program.

jdevers

Virginia Tech actually does have fairly rigorous academic reqs, they aren't Duke or Vanderbilt but do have more stiff requirements than most D1 programs.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: SouthBeach on December 20, 2008, 02:48:58 pm
A little bit of inside info......a good source (my brother) is in the athletic dept. at VT and was on the academic side of things last year when VT had gained a commitment from Mackey.  He told me this past week that it doesn't look like Mackey will qualify again even if he wants to go to VT and that Frank Beamer is pushing him toward Arkansas because he does not want to face him at Clemson.
just for curiosity's sake, what position does your brother hold??  thanks for the info.

Abominable Hillbilly

What does RD's opinion on us getting him
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Tusks

wow i never thought VT had higher entrance requirements than Arkansas.....just didn't register.

I mean both Vick's, Deangello Hall.....those guys aren't known as scientific rockets.

I figure they'd be about the same.

songofthesword

you don't lockup newport news year in and year out by having hardvard like acadmics

iseeredpeople

Virginia Tech is an excellent school. It's on par with A&M. You can joke about the Aggies all you want but both Tech and A&M are excellent schools with outstanding programs.  I would put Virginia or North Carolina colleges up against any states in fact.

southwesthog

Might be telling you a little more about mackey. LOL, might not be the sharpest knife... Maybe he is a hell of a football player though.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: IronHog on December 20, 2008, 12:06:56 pm
So is Mackey a kid ready to come in and play at a high level?

He does appear to be the type to do just that, and dominate. we could use good rush DE.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

nahnahrenee

Yea, My thread on Mackey got taken down........ which is ok.  I just won't share my info on him here.
:razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback:

tiber

Quote from: southwesthog on December 20, 2008, 04:24:55 pm
Might be telling you a little more about mackey. LOL, might not be the sharpest knife... Maybe he is a hell of a football player though.

The irony in this post... where does one begin.

LJHOG

Quote from: DMACStillRunnin on December 20, 2008, 02:06:48 pm
I'd take any of the four, but I agree we need so badA DT's.  I figure if we tackle them in the backfield, we don't have to chase 'em.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: LJHOG on December 20, 2008, 05:54:00 pm
I'd take any of the four, but I agree we need so badA DT's.  I figure if we tackle them in the backfield, we don't have to chase 'em.
i thought coleman was being recruited as a merriman type d. end

prodigalhawg

In reference to Coleman's position on the field...

Auburn Coach Gene Chizik visited Coleman's school Tuesday in hopes swaying him back to the Tigers. Coleman is being recruited by Razorbacks assistant Lorenzo Ward, and he said Arkansas is No. 1 on his list.

"I've liked Arkansas ever since I was little," Coleman said. "I like Coach Ward. He's stayed in contact with me. They say they're recruiting me as a defensive end and said I could stand up [as a linebacker]."

Coleman recorded 96 tackles, including 14 tackles for a loss, and 10 sacks this season.

Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino also called Coleman earlier in the week.

"He said they were really interested in me and he had seen my highlight film," said Coleman, who reports a 385-pound bench press and 505-pound squat. "He liked how I came off the end. He let me know they really liked me."

Coleman has offers from Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Southern Miss, Texas A&M and Ole Miss. He has an official visit scheduled to Arkansas on Jan. 16-18 and plans visits to Auburn, Ole Miss and Southern Miss.

Oklahawg

An awful lot of students dig academic holes in HS before they realize something done as a frosh or sophomore might hurt them getting into college. If you can get them eligible to be on campus and on the team then you turn them over to the academic support staff. They create a structure (and rigor) to their academics that is virtually guaranteed to succeed.

Remember, these guys essentially must pass 24 hours in a calendar year and hit their 3rd year poised to start upper-tier academic classes in their major field (there is a 40/60/80 hour rule but I have forgotten its details). If you get kids on campus for the summer you can get 3 hours in Summer Session I, 3 hours in Summer Session II, 12 hours in the Fall and 12 hours in the spring. That's 30 the easy way. Can you take less than 12 hours and play ball?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SquidBilly

Oklahawg,
I think they have to take at least 12 hours to maintain their full time student status which is required to be on the football team, unless they've graduated with eligibility left.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 20, 2008, 08:21:26 pm
Oklahawg,
I think they have to take at least 12 hours to maintain their full time student status which is required to be on the football team, unless they've graduated with eligibility left.

Sounds right, but I could swear that golfers and baseballers are not 12-hour athletes in the spring. Maybe just seems that way!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ChicoHog

Remember Matt Leinart's only class his senior season was ballroom dancing.  He then graduated in december.  ESPN used to make fun of it all the time and Leinart also got the party guy rep because he basically had no classes or studying to do.

HamminItUp

NCAA rules state that athletes must pass 24 credit hours for every calendar year. There may also be a rule that they must start each semester with 12 hours but they can drop and make it up in the summer.

LSPRazorbac

They must maintain 12 hours during the season to be considered full time and eligible to play.  If they drop under 12 during the spring they are not allowed to participate in spring ball (this happened to Joe McKnight last year at USC) but they can make up the hours in the summer.

Most players will take at least 15 hours per semester so they have enough hrs to drop a class if they have to.

AnthroHog

Did he set a deadline when he would sign?  Anyone hear any news about him?  I was hoping that we would know something by now.  Let's hope that Thornton gets into his ear along with Oden about coming down to Arkansas.

Only thing that I've read on his visit to Virginia Tech:
http://virginiatech.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=750&tid=119183295&mid=119183295&sid=1020&style=2

Looks like the Clemson reporters are counting us out for him:
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/dec/22/clemson_recruiting_getting_back_on_track65808/

ucahardhitter41

We can't possibly know what mackey is thinking he has said so many things that we can't really trust what he says, all we can do is wait and hopefully our coaching staff can reel him in

SouthBeach

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 20, 2008, 03:43:14 pm
just for curiosity's sake, what position does your brother hold??  thanks for the info.
He's an Asst. AD.

AnthroHog

Quote from: SouthBeach on December 22, 2008, 03:37:35 pm
He's an Asst. AD.

Have you heard anything new on Mackey since this weekend?

oldfart

i looked online for Va Tech's admission standards. the course requirements were pretty much the same as for the U of A.  gave some examples of average SAT's for incoming freshmen but said "this is not the minimum".  however i could not find what the minimum was on their website.  Did indicate that it was highly competitive as about 20,000 were competing for about 5,000 slots but im sure athletics has about as many slots as they want.

SouthBeach

Have you heard anything new on Mackey since this weekend?

No, but I plan to talk to him over the holiday's and will send an update then.

Aquilos

Speaking as someone who's choosing a college right now and going through academic requirements, Arkansas's are pretty low. I haven't taken the ACT since freshman year and I can get in with some scolly. But then you have to take into account that southern schools are usually smaller, and Arkansas is one of the less intelligent states in the Union. We're still ahead of Mississippi though, thank God.

HogTuba

Quote from: Aquilos on December 23, 2008, 01:38:27 am
Speaking as someone who's choosing a college right now and going through academic requirements, Arkansas's are pretty low. I haven't taken the ACT since freshman year and I can get in with some scolly. But then you have to take into account that southern schools are usually smaller, and Arkansas is one of the less intelligent states in the Union. We're still ahead of Mississippi though, thank God.

Hey now.  Arkansas is a fine school, honestly.  I say that as a current student but I did my research and there are plenty of good academic qualities about UA.  The standards are a bit lower, though.

Also, you have to take into consideration that the SAT is harder than the ACT and is probably what is used at VT.
S-A-S-N-A-K--RA

SquidBilly

Quote from: Aquilos on December 23, 2008, 01:38:27 am

Entrance requirements are lower to allow more kids to be able to attend but I'm sure the requirements to graduate are probably comparable to most schools out there.

Porkette

Well, maybe it was meant as a joke, but there is really no need to insult ourselves by saying "less intelligent." States like Arkansas and Mississippi are more rural and less wealthy than many others, which results in a less-educated population overall (although the south is slowly catching up in these areas). Nothing to do with intelligence. Just the circumstances that people live in.
GO HOGS GO!