Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Vs. Big 12 Debate-Who is better in football? Here's some facts.

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 20, 2008, 10:13:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LJHOG

Numbers, sumbers.  No conference can match the SEC for the intensity of the games, the passion of the fans, or the overall quality of players. None, period, end of story.  Hell the Big12 championship game wasn't even close to a sellout.  Looked like the place was 1/2 empty.

atekido

i look at it like this. the SEC from its Beginning has a WInning Record vs all major Conferences except one.  the Big Ten we are 89-95 vs them.  which is mis leading in itself.   Kentucky has lost to the big-10  31 times.  Vandy 17 losses

now with the big Fail.  we are on top.  but not by many.    313 wins to 307 losses...... unfortunately we have given them 154 of the big ten's wins :P  this is counting all matches vs texas,baylor ect back in the southwestern conference.  but still.  i mean as a whole the SEC is infact the best conference.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vs_conf.php 

you can lookup anything basically on that site

The Hogfather

Quote from: WindyCityHog on December 20, 2008, 11:15:21 pm
Hell yeah!!!!!

We are the SEC!!!!!!!!!!

Frank that.

You think teams like Florida, 'Bama, LSU rely on their conference affiliation to justify their hardon?

Losers do that.  The Hogs have been doing just that for 10 years...SEC! SEC!

The SEC is great...but last time I checked, it's the school and not the conference that gets the props.  Relying on the conferencing to prop oneselve's up is a serious case of vaginitis.

Vanderbilt must be proud.

Stop this "SEC" crap.  Best conference no doubt....but that doesn't sate my Hog love.

Who gives a real crap about the Big 12 or the SEC?  When it comes down to it, I'm all hog, SEC be darned.

Why does it have to be one or the other?  I'd like to see the SEC be the strongest conference, kick everyone else's A$$, AND have us become stronger as a program so that we'll be able to compete for Championships regularly.  Why not root for the SEC to be the strongest conference in the nation?  Why not make sure everyone knows it?

That way, when we do get strong enough as a program to win the SEC, it will mean a lot more.  That way, when we do win the SEC, the national media can't go on TV and say, "yeah, Arkansas won the SEC, but they only had to play one ranked team because the SEC is so weak this year."

We don't want to become the Big Ten or Big XII.  And part of that is rooting for our conference to do well in their interconference match-ups.

If you don't want to do that, fine.  But, don't make fun of the people that do want to.  It doesn't mean that we're "riding the coattails of other teams in our conference" (which I get tired of hearing).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: atekido on December 22, 2008, 01:25:09 am
i look at it like this. the SEC from its Beginning has a WInning Record vs all major Conferences except one.  the Big Ten we are 89-95 vs them.  which is mis leading in itself.   Kentucky has lost to the big-10  31 times.  Vandy 17 losses

now with the big Fail.  we are on top.  but not by many.    313 wins to 307 losses...... unfortunately we have given them 154 of the big ten's wins :P  this is counting all matches vs texas,baylor ect back in the southwestern conference.  but still.  i mean as a whole the SEC is infact the best conference.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vs_conf.php 

you can lookup anything basically on that site

There's no doubt about what you say, but what I looked at was more than just wins. The orginal debate focused around this year, but many of the kids playing this year were recruited sometime in the last 4-5 years. So, I went back and looked at recruiting rankings over the past 4 years for the SEC and Big 12 and averaged those. I did the same with won/loss records and strength of schedule. This seemed to me, to eb the most fair way to evaluate the two conferences overall. Won/loss records with one conference vs. another(or head to head) don't reflect the overall SOS that those teams played or the estimated quality of players in a conference. That is the reason I approached it the way I did. You can view that in the original thread at the top.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

Nice job taking only a 4 year snapshot.  Try going back 20 years.

Why do you guys care so much about a conference?  It's like you care more about the conference than the Razorbacks.

The Hogfather

Quote from: NWASooner on December 22, 2008, 11:11:59 am
Why do you guys care so much about a conference?  It's like you care more about the conference than the Razorbacks.

Just to make fans of teams in other conferences ask why.

A better question might be; why do you care so much about us caring so much about a conference?

An even better question might be; why are you even on this message board to ask why we care so much about a conference? (I assume you live in NWA, but that doesn't really answer the question)  I know if I lived in Oklahoma, I sure as hell wouldn't be on Sooner messageboards.  I'd still be right here on Hogville.

The Hogfather

p.s.  The SEC has always been the dominant conference in college football.  Always will be.  Even 20 years ago, before we were in it.  I know some around here will disagree with that.  But, it's the truth.

MuskogeeHogFan

Come on dude, you know the debate that has been raging for years about which conference is better and it really resurfaced this year. The strength of your conference validates the strength of your team or at the very least, a lot of their performance. And why would you grinch about it? The Big 12 came out slightly ahead 2 of those 4 years and the SEC came out ahead the other 2 years. Overall, the SEC and Big 12 are basically neck and neck in all three categories with the SEC having a very slight lead overall, on average.

And FYI, according to the College Football Data Warehouse's conference ranking points, looking all the way back to 1980, through 2007, the SEC comes in at an average of 950.69 to the Big 12/Big Eight average of 935.52.

You asked, so I just thought I would let you know.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

When we were in the SWC we cared about the Razorbacks and wanted to beat Texaas because those were the only two teams, year in and year out.

Now, I for one am proud we are in the conference that matters most.  When we win the SEC within two years, it will be recognized as an achievement and will automatically set us up for playing the last meaningful game of the year.

NWASooner

Seriously, I have a more vested interest in Arkansas athletics than probably 98% of the people on this board.  I'd rather the SEC suck ass and Arkansas be great.  A large portion of the Arkansas fan base seems content with the opposite.  "We've been to 2 bowls in 5 years but we're in the SEC!"  My bread isn't buttered by LSU winning the national title, I'll tell you that much.

It seems like every week or so there's multiple threads about conferences.  Both sides present data, articles, etc., etc.  I understand why SEC fans care so much due to regional pride and other factors but Arkansas fans seem to hang their hat on conference affiliation more than most.  Do fans of those Mississippi schools feel the same way?  I honestly don't know.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on December 22, 2008, 05:44:14 pm
Seriously, I have a more vested interest in Arkansas athletics than probably 98% of the people on this board.  I'd rather the SEC suck ass and Arkansas be great.  A large portion of the Arkansas fan base seems content with the opposite.  "We've been to 2 bowls in 5 years but we're in the SEC!"  My bread isn't buttered by LSU winning the national title, I'll tell you that much.

It seems like every week or so there's multiple threads about conferences.  Both sides present data, articles, etc., etc.  I understand why SEC fans care so much due to regional pride and other factors but Arkansas fans seem to hang their hat on conference affiliation more than most.  Do fans of those Mississippi schools feel the same way?  I honestly don't know.

I'm not certain where you get that idea. Haven't you noticed the changed mood of this board since we signed BP? I think EVERYONE wants Arkansas to not only win, but go to the SECCG and beyond, we want a NC. But there is nothing wrong with taking pride in the conference you belong to, just as you take pride in the Big 12. I'm for Arkansas winning, then I'm for everyone else AFTER the season is over and you get into bowls(with the exception of Ole Miss as long a Nutty-Boy is down there). As I said to you above in answering your question:

"Come on dude, you know the debate that has been raging for years about which conference is better and it really resurfaced this year. The strength of your conference validates the strength of your team or at the very least, a lot of their performance. And why would you grinch about it? The Big 12 came out slightly ahead 2 of those 4 years and the SEC came out ahead the other 2 years. Overall, the SEC and Big 12 are basically neck and neck in all three categories with the SEC having a very slight lead overall, on average.

And FYI, according to the College Football Data Warehouse's conference ranking points, looking all the way back to 1980, through 2007, the SEC comes in at an average of 950.69 to the Big 12/Big Eight average of 935.52.

You asked, so I just thought I would let you know."
Go Hogs Go!

donewithdale

The Big 12 = OU and Texas and that is about it.  It gets average to bad after that with a team or two having a great season but no sustained success by any of them.  But given their recruiting bases, that should be expected.  The recruiting bases of the Big 12 states Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado cannot come close to comparing to Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia and are even < Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina.  The SEC should be deeper and better than the Big 12.  Factor in the decline of Nebraska and that makes the Big 12 even more shallow. 

NWASooner

QuoteThe Big 12 = OU and Texas and that is about it.

And for the longest time, the SEC was just Florida and Tennessee.  The SEC West was a total train wreck not too long ago.  I remember average Miss. State and Arkansas teams going to the title game.  Bama was average for 10 years and LSU was average for decades before Nick Saban got there.

I look at teams/programs as to who "should" be good and the SEC has more teams that "should" be good that anyone else.  That's due to things like recruiting base, facilities, committment, prestige, etc.  In this category, the SEC has:

LSU
Bama
Auburn - Proximity to Florida enhances it's recruiting base.
Arkansas - There should be a greater Texas presence than there has been.
Georgia
Tennessee
Florida

The Big 12 has:

OU
Texas
Nebraska (Although this is declining)
Colorado (Don't forget they used to recruit very well in California and 20% of their student body is from there.)

So, by that standard, the SEC is better but the two most important things in college football are coaching and QB play.  For a long time, the SEC had coaches like Gary DiNardo, Mike DuBose, Houston Nutt, and other spares.  Color me unimpressed.  QB play has been a wash the past 10 years.  Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: donewithdale on December 22, 2008, 06:05:41 pm
The Big 12 = OU and Texas and that is about it.  It gets average to bad after that with a team or two having a great season but no sustained success by any of them.  But given their recruiting bases, that should be expected.  The recruiting bases of the Big 12 states Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado cannot come close to comparing to Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia and are even < Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina.  The SEC should be deeper and better than the Big 12.  Factor in the decline of Nebraska and that makes the Big 12 even more shallow. 

Yet, in all fairness, in the three categories evaluated, the Big 12 came out on top in 2005 and 2008, while the SEC came out on top in 2006 and 2007. The two are very, very close and the results of the Big 12 cannot be achieved simply by OU and Texas. Overall, if you look at the orginal thread, the SEC holds a slim lead over the Big 12, but the Big 12 made a push in 2008 to gain ground. I suspect that the SEC will extend their average lead this year as it seems Kiffin is working hard at recruiting at Tennessee and we all know what strides BP is making. But lets not kid ourselves, both conferences have weak teams, average teams and constantly performing teams. There is no doubt that they are the two best conferences in the country in terms of recruiting, SOS and won/loss percentages.
Go Hogs Go!

Pa-Paw

I find it interesting that both conferences keep up their winning percentages by generally avoiding each other. They seldom play each other in nonconference games. Bowl games are an indicator of just how few times the "bigs" from the two conferences play one another. The Bowl tie-ins have cheated fans out of some great match-ups. For sure, Alabama and Texas should have been matched up this year.

donewithdale

Quote from: NWASooner on December 22, 2008, 06:16:22 pm
And for the longest time, the SEC was just Florida and Tennessee.  The SEC West was a total train wreck not too long ago.  I remember average Miss. State and Arkansas teams going to the title game.  Bama was average for 10 years and LSU was average for decades before Nick Saban got there.

I look at teams/programs as to who "should" be good and the SEC has more teams that "should" be good that anyone else.  That's due to things like recruiting base, facilities, committment, prestige, etc.  In this category, the SEC has:

LSU
Bama
Auburn - Proximity to Florida enhances it's recruiting base.
Arkansas - There should be a greater Texas presence than there has been.
Georgia
Tennessee
Florida

The Big 12 has:

OU
Texas
Nebraska (Although this is declining)
Colorado (Don't forget they used to recruit very well in California and 20% of their student body is from there.)

So, by that standard, the SEC is better but the two most important things in college football are coaching and QB play.  For a long time, the SEC had coaches like Gary DiNardo, Mike DuBose, Houston Nutt, and other spares.  Color me unimpressed.  QB play has been a wash the past 10 years.  Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.

I agree in that the SEC has some underachieving programs given our resources in comparison to every other conference in college football.  The western half of the Big 10's recruiting territory is as bad as the Big 12 North.  Plus its tougher to get kids to come north from the south or stay if they do(Michigan).  The entire Pac 10 has to rely on California for much of its impact players outside of SC who can recruit national.  As an SEC fan, I am conceding that the SEC should be at the top with no excuses if they aren't. 

And this isn't a negative towards the Big 12 but just an observation and opinion.  OU and Texas are the only programs that are truly capable of sustaining a presence on the national stage from the Big 12.  That has proven out over the last several years.  And their recruiting advantages, the fact that they never have to play each other on the road and their home field advantages over the rest of the conference makes it easier on them to maintain that status.    The SEC has 4 programs that have 0 excuses similar to OU and Texas - LSU, Bama, Florida and UGa. 

As far as Nebraska, their glory days are gone.  They are signing good classes in the 20s.  But the days of All Amercian OL who are "walk ons" is over.  The only positive they have is their division is extremely winnable and a good team should be able to go 5-0 in that division.  They may have a season where the schedule sets up right with not having to play both OU and Texas and they have a good team and they could have a 10 or 11 win season.  But it will be once every 5-10 years.  No reason they shouldn't have a KU or Mizzou 08 season.  And both of them came crashing back to earth this season. 

CU should also be better with the Cal connections you mentioned they have.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pa-Paw on December 22, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
I find it interesting that both conferences keep up their winning percentages by generally avoiding each other. They seldom play each other in nonconference games. Bowl games are an indicator of just how few times the “bigs” from the two conferences play one another. The Bowl tie-ins have cheated fans out of some great match-ups. For sure, Alabama and Texas should have been matched up this year.

I agree. I love the Florida-OU match up and I would also love to see Texas vs. Alabama, but I would also like to see Missouri vs. LSU and personally, though I may be wrong, I think the Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss game is a mis-match certainly in favor of Texas Tech and I would rather see Georgia vs. Texas Tech with Ole Miss vs. Kansas. That kinda leaves USC out, because I would like to see them play someone other than Penn State, but I am hoping PSU surprises them.
Go Hogs Go!

donewithdale

Just to add since it is bowl season and the SEC and Big 12 has had two traditional tie ins together:

The SEC vs Big 12 Indy Bowl has happened 9 of the last 10 years.  The SEC is 7-2 in those winning the first 6 matchups.

The SEC vs Big 12 Cotton Bowl has been played the last 10 seasons with the series 5-5.  The SEC has won 4 of the last 5.  In general, this is the SEC's 2nd or 3rd "after the BCS bowls" slot.  The Cap One gets top choice after the BCS bowls.  The Outback and Peach are also good destinations especially for SECE programs.  This season 11-1 Texas Tech vs 8-4 Ole Miss.  Last season 12-1 Mizzou vs 8-4 Arkansas. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: donewithdale on December 22, 2008, 07:30:33 pm
Just to add since it is bowl season and the SEC and Big 12 has had two traditional tie ins together:

The SEC vs Big 12 Indy Bowl has happened 9 of the last 10 years.  The SEC is 7-2 in those winning the first 6 matchups.

The SEC vs Big 12 Cotton Bowl has been played the last 10 seasons with the series 5-5.  The SEC has won 4 of the last 5.  In general, this is the SEC's 2nd or 3rd "after the BCS bowls" slot.  The Cap One gets top choice after the BCS bowls.  The Outback and Peach are also good destinations especially for SECE programs.  This season 11-1 Texas Tech vs 8-4 Ole Miss.  Last season 12-1 Mizzou vs 8-4 Arkansas. 

You can expect Ole Miss to get embarassed this year and the record slide to 6-5 for the Big 12 with two straight wins. Though they are SEC, I am looking forward to the camera panning the crowd on New Years Day morning seeing all the Ole Miss fans with a dumbfounded look on their faces, about the start of the fourth quarter.
Go Hogs Go!

atekido

based form 2000-2008

surprisingly the Big 12 and Sec are 15-15 in the last 8 years.  with 30 matches.

between the 2 conferences only 2 team have no losses.

Auburn and Georgia are both 2-0 vs Big 12.

All big 12 teams have lost to an sec team in the last 8 years.  (other than Kansas)  has not played anyone.

The Sec
Alabama has 3 losses. two from OK and 1 from OK state
Arkansas has 4 losses. Two from TX, 1 from OK, 1 Missou
LSU has 1 loss from TX
Ole Miss has 4 losses. Two from Texas T, and 2 from Missou
Tennessee has 2 losses. One from K-state, and one from Nebraska
USC has 1 loss. From MIssou

The big 12

Colorado lost to Georgia, and Bama
Iowa lost to Bama
K-state lost to Auburn
Missou lost to Arkansas
Nebraska Lost to Auburn and Ole miss
OK lost to LSU
OK state lost to Georgia and Ole Miss
TX has lost to Arkansas Twice
Texas A&M lost to Ole miss and TN
Texas Tech lost to Bama

its a close race.  but you take out the losses given up by AR and Ole miss.  and then all the sudden it becomes kinda clear who is stronger.  that is 8 wins we gave to the big 12 between us and piss in the last 8 years.

funny enough  Bama,ole piss, arkansas lead in losses to the big 12.  we also have the most wins vs the big 12 with 9 total wins between the 3.

unfortunately  both our conferences lower teams havent played much. 

its basically a tie.  except for one little thing.

first lets be honest.  colorado,k-state,kansas would not consistently be able to compete with USC,Miss st, and kentucky,  or even Vandy, 

Then what i Consider the Trump card.  Big 12 is Lucky Florida has not got in on the action in the last 8 years.  Its pretty much given they would have had more wins than losses despite who they played.

which i guess on BCS day we are gonna find out first hand :P

though if you take it from 1992-2008 sec pulls further ahead  which is when us and South carolina joined in the sec

id go research some more to add in the 1992-2008 but i got a headache now lol

The Hogfather

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 22, 2008, 08:17:26 pm
You can expect Ole Miss to get embarassed this year and the record slide to 6-5 for the Big 12 with two straight wins. Though they are SEC, I am looking forward to the camera panning the crowd on New Years Day morning seeing all the Ole Miss fans with a dumbfounded look on their faces, about the start of the fourth quarter.

You might be surprised at how this one turns out.  I don't think it will be a blowout at all.

donewithdale

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2008, 12:14:22 am
You might be surprised at how this one turns out.  I don't think it will be a blowout at all.

I agree although I think TT will end up winning because they do have many pass plays where the ball is away quickly and the OM secondary isn't great.  But OM is too strong up front on both sides of the ball and they have a decent enough offense to where this one will be competitive.  Its just too much to ask for karma to finally catch the luckiest coach in college football and TT win 63-21. 

I think the history of these two bowl series though illustrates the depth of the conferences.  They are closer to even towards the top as illustrated by the Cotton Bowl even though the Big 12 has had some advantages the last couple of seasons with higher ranked teams with better records.  The Indy demonstrates the gap happens when you go down in the conferences. 

atekido

if ole miss can beat FLorida they can beat TT.  and quite honestly though i dont like to admit it  Houston nutt knows how to make a team run a ball.  and TT is one of those team you can run every play and beat them.  i look for ole to pull an upset just from them being bigger guys for the most part.  i dont think TT will be able to give graham the time he is used to for passing.  and look for ole miss to play man to man bump coverage entire time to stop the short routes.

NWASooner

Quoteif ole miss can beat FLorida they can beat TT.

Then why didn't they beat Wake and Vandy?

TTech's defense is better than usual this year.  If Ole Miss's secondary is an issue, Tech will score 60.  There are lots of short routes that nullify the Ole Miss D-line.  Ole Miss has nothing to stop Crabtree.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2008, 12:14:22 am

You might be right, but when Tech is "on", most teams have a hard time keeping up with them. They come into this game with an axe to grind. Left out of the BCS picture, their record setting QB snubbed for the Heisman, they are in Dallas playing a morning game outside in Janurary instead of a better bowl in a warmer climate. I just have a feeling that Leach will have his kids up for this game. Ole Miss on the other hand, is happy to be in the Cotton Bowl with an 8-4 record. If they lose, no big deal, they wind up 8-5, if they win, it makes them 9-4 but doesn't really affect anything with them. Leach's kids have been to 4 straight bowls so they know the drill. Ole Miss's kids haven't been to a bowl game so I suspect they will be "big eyed" and a bit nervous.

This could wind up being a close game, but I'd be surprised. I know Ole Miss will attempt to slow the game down by running and controlling the ball, so if it is close, it will be because they were successful doing this and they didn't turn the ball over. When you take into consideration that Tech has only thrown 8 INT's and fumbled the ball away 11 times, to Ole Miss having thrown 14 INT's and fumbled the ball away 8 times, I expect it will be Ole Miss turning the ball over. We'll see very soon.
Go Hogs Go!

FATBACKHAWG

The Hogfather

want2be

This year for sure the Big 12 has shown they have an exciting brand of offense that most fans enjoy. I thought it was interesting when Muschamp (who is the DC at Texas and was at Auburn) stated that the offenses in the Big 12 are WAY AHEAD of the offenses in the SEC. That is coming from a coach that had to prepare for both leagues.

I don't think Ol Mrs will slow down TT much and even though Florida has a top notch defense, I still expect the Sooners to put up 40 points (not 60).

ps.....Petrino has the type of offense that can generate the big points also.....He will have enough players on offense next year to prove it to the SEC.

UAfanatic

Quote from: want2be on December 23, 2008, 09:22:44 am
This year for sure the Big 12 has shown they have an exciting brand of offense that most fans enjoy. I thought it was interesting when Muschamp (who is the DC at Texas and was at Auburn) stated that the offenses in the Big 12 are WAY AHEAD of the offenses in the SEC. That is coming from a coach that had to prepare for both leagues.

He really said that?  With no F-bombs.. wow

He also knows where he gets his paycheck..

That gives him excuses while making the fans feel good when his defense isn't that good..
and makes him a GOD when he kicks the other little 12's butts..

he should be a politician.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: UAfanatic on December 23, 2008, 09:32:33 am
He really said that?  With no F-bombs.. wow

He also knows where he gets his paycheck..

That gives him excuses while making the fans feel good when his defense isn't that good..
and makes him a GOD when he kicks the other little 12's butts..

he should be a politician.

Nobody wants to admit that the possibility exists that their offenses might actually be as strong as they seem to be and that even the SEC might have problems game-planning for them. As usual, we go into denial, puff out our chests and talk about how tough our defenses are. Well, we do have some great defenses in the SEC, but none of them have seen or had to face wide open offenses like they have in the Big 12. Muschamp is a pretty stand-up guy who tells it like it is. I doubt he would have made that statement if he didn't believe it.

I see it as a draw. Prolific offense vs. prolific defenses that will produce tremendously competitive bowl games. Personally, I think Ole Miss gets their arse handed to them by Texas Tech, but I could be wrong. We'll see shortly.
Go Hogs Go!

Pa-Paw

"I thought it was interesting when Muschamp (who is the DC at Texas and was at Auburn) stated that the offenses in the Big 12 are WAY AHEAD of the offenses in the SEC. That is coming from a coach that had to prepare for both leagues."

I think that Muschamp was probably just being honest here. Other than Florida and a couple more SEC teams the conference has always been more about good defense, run first, and some passing for balance.

UAfanatic

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 23, 2008, 09:51:54 am
Nobody wants to admit that the possibility exists that their offenses might actually be as strong as they seem to be and that even the SEC might have problems game-planning for them. As usual, we go into denial, puff out our chests and talk about how tough our defenses are. Well, we do have some great defenses in the SEC, but none of them have seen or had to face wide open offenses like they have in the Big 12. Muschamp is a pretty stand-up guy who tells it like it is. I doubt he would have made that statement if he didn't believe it.

I see it as a draw. Prolific offense vs. prolific defenses that will produce tremendously competitive bowl games. Personally, I think Ole Miss gets their arse handed to them by Texas Tech, but I could be wrong. We'll see shortly.

I could be wrong as well, but there doesn't seem to be much speed on the Big 12 defensive side.
They don't seem to be very aggressive for most of the games I've seen..

That may be due to the sophistication of the offense..

But it just looks like they have all the time in the world with 3 rushers..
and that doesn't happen so much in the SEC.

It's nice that we have some bowls to see test it out..

Pa-Paw

Quote from: UAfanatic on December 23, 2008, 10:07:24 am
I could be wrong as well, but there doesn't seem to be much speed on the Big 12 defensive side.
They don't seem to be very aggressive for most of the games I've seen..

That may be due to the sophistication of the offense..

But it just looks like they have all the time in the world with 3 rushers..
and that doesn't happen so much in the SEC.

It's nice that we have some bowls to see test it out..

Can you play a standard defense if the opposing quarterback stands 12" yards behind the line of scrimmage, can get a pass off in three seconds or less, and has five quick targets to throw to?  Good luck with that.

CORZRBACKFAN

Quote from: WindyCityHog on December 20, 2008, 11:15:21 pm
Hell yeah!!!!!

We are the SEC!!!!!!!!!!

Frank that.

You think teams like Florida, 'Bama, LSU rely on their conference affiliation to justify their hardon?

Losers do that.  The Hogs have been doing just that for 10 years...SEC! SEC!

The SEC is great...but last time I checked, it's the school and not the conference that gets the props.  Relying on the conferencing to prop oneselve's up is a serious case of vaginitis.

Vanderbilt must be proud.

Stop this "SEC" crap.  Best conference no doubt....but that doesn't sate my Hog love.

Who gives a real crap about the Big 12 or the SEC?  When it comes down to it, I'm all hog, SEC be darned.

I agree with you 100%. I could care less if the SEC went 1-8 in bowl games if it meant Arkansas won the national championship. Do I honestly give a damn if Alabamer fans are happy after their BCS game? Screw' em-go Utes!!!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

The Hogfather

Quote from: want2be on December 23, 2008, 09:22:44 am

I don't think Ol Mrs will slow down TT much and even though Florida has a top notch defense, I still expect the Sooners to put up 40 points (not 60).

ps.....Petrino has the type of offense that can generate the big points also.....He will have enough players on offense next year to prove it to the SEC.

Of course he said that.  It makes him look better if his defenses play well.  Geez.  Some of you guys are so gullible.  "Well, gee whiz, he said it, so it must be true."

The Hogfather

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on December 23, 2008, 11:22:54 am
I agree with you 100%. I could care less if the SEC went 1-8 in bowl games if it meant Arkansas won the national championship. Do I honestly give a damn if Alabamer fans are happy after their BCS game? Screw' em-go Utes!!!

Again, it doesn't have to be one or the other.  I don't know why you guys think it does.  I want the SEC to be the most dominant conference in the nation, as shown by kicking every other team's a$$eS in interconference match-ups AND I want Arkansas to dominate the strongest conference in the nation.  Why is that so hard to understand?

Just because I cheer for SEC teams in out of conference contests, doesn't mean that I am just doing it because Arkansas wasn't good this year and I want to "ride on the coattails of the other teams in the SEC".  I like playing in the toughest/best conference in the nation and I want it to stay that way (and I want everyone that follows college football to know it).  I also want Arkansas to win the SEC Championship and go on to the National Championship. 

It doesn't have to be one or the other....

NWASooner

QuoteI could be wrong as well, but there doesn't seem to be much speed on the Big 12 defensive side.  They don't seem to be very aggressive for most of the games I've seen..

Blitz a spread team with a good passing game and see what happens.

Truthfully, no one has any idea how good the SEC defenses are.  Six SEC offenses are ranked #97 or worse this year.  That's half the league.  We can only go by what those defenses have done when they've played non SEC teams and that track record hasn't exactly been impressive.

slowride

Because it gives us something to crow about even when we have a bad year.  I have to admit that sometimes I do get more into how the SEC is doing than the hogs.  That's why I have an SEC flag flying in my yard. Every year I can point to that flag and brag about how Florida or LSU is doing.

NWASooner

QuoteIt doesn't have to be one or the other....

Speaking of having it both ways, you can't on one hand say the SEC is this great and dominant conference and on the other hand say Houston Nutt is a horrible coach.  He does have a winning record in the SEC, after all.  If he's so bad, how did he win in such a great conference?  If the conference is so great, how did a coach like Houston Nutt manage to have a winning record?

The Hogfather

Quote from: NWASooner on December 23, 2008, 11:47:39 am

Truthfully, no one has any idea how good the SEC defenses are.  Six SEC offenses are ranked #97 or worse this year.  That's half the league.  We can only go by what those defenses have done when they've played non SEC teams and that track record hasn't exactly been impressive.

Exactly why the Big XII defenses (for the most part) suck.  They have to rely on blitzes to get pressure on the opposing QBs.  That's why they get burned for so many long TDs.  For the most part, SEC defenses don't have to do that (at least on the strong teams, like Florida and Alabama).  This is why I think Florida will give Oklahoma fits in the title game.  They won't have to blitz a linebacker or safety.  They'll be able to get pressure with their front four and drop everyone else into coverage.

We'll see soon enough.

The Hogfather

Quote from: NWASooner on December 23, 2008, 11:51:03 am
Speaking of having it both ways, you can't on one hand say the SEC is this great and dominant conference and on the other hand say Houston Nutt is a horrible coach.  He does have a winning record in the SEC, after all.  If he's so bad, how did he win in such a great conference?  If the conference is so great, how did a coach like Houston Nutt manage to have a winning record?

I've never said that.  I think Houston Nutt is a good coach.  I think Bobby Petrino is a MUCH BETTER coach.

HoopS

I just know we played one Big 12 team and by that game, I would feel like a hypocrite saying their defense sucked. 

Why can we not just admit that possibly our conference isn't the only good conference out there?   I watched our teams step out of conference several times and I have to tell you, we didn't look overly impressive.   Perhaps we turn it on in bowl games.  I don't know.  But the ACC didn't have problems with our vaunted "D's" this year. 

I'm not saying OU will beat Florida....Florida is a complete team capable of giving them fits on both sides of the ball.  But as a whole, I don't believe we are as good this year as we would like to believe. 

UAfanatic

Quote from: NWASooner on December 23, 2008, 11:47:39 am

send pressure..  maybe not selling out.. but fronting with 3 guys means you can send a man for the q-back once in a while.  These guys have all day.. they should be under a little more stress.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoopS on December 23, 2008, 12:56:01 pm
I just know we played one Big 12 team and by that game, I would feel like a hypocrite saying their defense sucked. 

1.  Our defense last year sucked.
2.  There were MANY reasons why that game was as lopsided as it was and only about 1/2 of a reason had to do with the quality of each team.

HoopS

Go ahead and make me a list so I can explain it to others. 

By the way, we got 190 against them and over 300 against Bama.  I was at the game and we didn't have a chance. 

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound testy.....give me min to explain...

I live in Houston.   When we have beaten them fair and square, I didn't want to hear their pathetic excuses as opposed to them just tipping their hat and vowing to get us next time.   And that isn't just one or two of them....I'm talking almost every one of them that I know...old and young. 

It never could be that we just lined up and whipped them...no.  It was always some excuse. 

We can make a list of reasons we got our butt kicks that day but I was there and the better team won.  Fair and square. 

And I can't stand Texas.  At all.  If they played Ole Miss I would hope for a scoreless tie.  One reason I have such discontent for them is the attitude I just described.   There's nothing wrong with tipping a hat (lol) once in a while.

When I played ball, I always played with respect for my opponent and shook their hand after the game.  I could look them in the eyes and say good game even after I got my butt kicked. 

That's all.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2008, 11:42:25 am
Of course he said that.  It makes him look better if his defenses play well.  Geez.  Some of you guys are so gullible.  "Well, gee whiz, he said it, so it must be true."

Unless you have more inside information than any of the rest of us, this is just an opinion. My opinion is that he was being honest and as I said above, I don't think the SEC has seen or had to face wide open offenses like Florida will see vs. OU anymore than OU has seen or had to face defenses like they will face vs. Florida. I still think it will be a fairly evenly matched game with a top offense vs. a top defense dueling it out with the game most likely decided by the kicking game and turnovers.

I expect it to be the best BCS game and certainly the most competitive and equally matched in some time.
Go Hogs Go!

Pa-Paw

Arkansas has played against both the Texas and Alabama's defenses. How much better was Alabama's defense than what Texas put on the field? If the Alabama defense was better, it was not by a large degree.

atekido

Quote from: NWASooner on December 23, 2008, 07:04:04 am
Then why didn't they beat Wake and Vandy?

TTech's defense is better than usual this year.  If Ole Miss's secondary is an issue, Tech will score 60.  There are lots of short routes that nullify the Ole Miss D-line.  Ole Miss has nothing to stop Crabtree.

you probly thought tulsa would hang 60 on us also.   point is still made and you cant argue it.  if they can beat florida.  they can beat TT who is overated.

NWASooner

Like I said, if Houston Nutt is an awful coach then then the SEC isn't as great as you think.

QuoteExactly why the Big XII defenses (for the most part) suck.  They have to rely on blitzes to get pressure on the opposing QBs.  That's why they get burned for so many long TDs.  For the most part, SEC defenses don't have to do that (at least on the strong teams, like Florida and Alabama). 

No, they don't.  If I'm an SEC defense, I just hang 8 back and wait for the other QB to throw the ball into the ground.  The QB play in the SEC has been positively awful this year.  I've never see so many big time programs have such awful play at QB.

If you blitz a good spread team, you'll get lit up.  If you don't and they can run the ball, you'll get lit up.  Your only hope is to shut down their run with your front four and keep their WR's in front of your DB's.

If you think Florida can get pressure on OU's QB, then pick Florida.  Keep in mind 3 of OU's O-line are all conference.

Texas Tech is going to light Ole Miss up like a Christmas tree.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on December 23, 2008, 05:49:28 pm
Like I said, if Houston Nutt is an awful coach then then the SEC isn't as great as you think.

No, they don't.  If I'm an SEC defense, I just hang 8 back and wait for the other QB to throw the ball into the ground.  The QB play in the SEC has been positively awful this year.  I've never see so many big time programs have such awful play at QB.

If you blitz a good spread team, you'll get lit up.  If you don't and they can run the ball, you'll get lit up.  Your only hope is to shut down their run with your front four and keep their WR's in front of your DB's.

If you think Florida can get pressure on OU's QB, then pick Florida.  Keep in mind 3 of OU's O-line are all conference.

Texas Tech is going to light Ole Miss up like a Christmas tree.

I think this will be a duel between Florida's defense and OU's offense. Both are really good. Watch turnovers and the kicking game(something OU has not done well with this year).

I think you are right about Tech having its way with Ole Miss.
Go Hogs Go!