Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black coaches and the SEC

Started by Abominable Hillbilly, December 17, 2008, 09:23:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

December 19, 2008, 10:15:45 pm #100 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:18:14 pm by hog.goblin
Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on December 17, 2008, 09:31:01 pm
anybody?

I haven't read all 3 pages but I skimmed them and I didn't see anyone mention this:

Syracuse's AD is black.

Hard to call him a racist.

ChicoHog

7 of the ACC 12 schools have black head coaches in basketball and for many of those schools, bball is just as important as football or at least close. 

I think another problem with the lack of black/minority head coaches in football starts at the ground roots level.  How many grad assistant coaches are black?  this is where you get started for most of the current coaches.  Most of them were not star players but played college ball and went straight into coaching as grad assistants, like we hear Mortensen wants to do.  More black athletes that do not have NFL ability should consider taking this option.  this also means more emphasis on education and graduating from college which is a good thing.  I think there are too many "pipe dreams" of playing professional ball and then they don't graduate which effectively eliminates them from being a grad assistant and working up the ranks.  Without doing the research I bet Petrino, Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Brown, Stoops, etc., started this way. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 19, 2008, 10:24:31 pm
7 of the ACC 12 schools have black head coaches in basketball and for many of those schools, bball is just as important as football or at least close. 

I think another problem with the lack of black/minority head coaches in football starts at the ground roots level.  How many grad assistant coaches are black?  this is where you get started for most of the current coaches.  Most of them were not star players but played college ball and went straight into coaching as grad assistants, like we hear Mortensen wants to do.  More black athletes that do not have NFL ability should consider taking this option.  this also means more emphasis on education and graduating from college which is a good thing.  I think there are too many "pipe dreams" of playing professional ball and then they don't graduate which effectively eliminates them from being a grad assistant and working up the ranks.  Without doing the research I bet Petrino, Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Brown, Stoops, etc., started this way. 

Agreed.  It needs to start with GAs, then assistant coaches, and then coordinators, and then HCs.  25% of assistant coaches are black, and 13% of coordinators, and 3-4% of HCs. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HatfieldHog

I'm not sure that there is a problem with Black Coaches in College Football.  I think it's about coaching ability and productivity.  Do you guys think that Lovie Smith would get an interview if he said that he was leaving the NFL and wanted into College Football?  What about Tony Dungy?  Think he could get a job in College Football? 

Any AD in the SEC that needed a coach would jump at either of those guys, and, you know what:  They are both Black!  But, being black in not a qualification for a coaching job.  Motivating players, managing a program, developing talent, that's what Dungy and Smith can do!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

the donger

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on December 17, 2008, 09:23:48 pm
I listened to a caller on a local radio show today that made alot of sense.  He wanted to know why the SEC and only the SEC is getting drilled so bad about not hiring Turner Gill.  He interviewed for the Syracuse job and did not get it.  Nobody said anything.  Last year his alma mater had a chance to hire him, but they didn't.  Nobody said anything.  As of today there are no black head football coaches in the Big 10, Big 12, or the Pac 10.  Please explain why the national media is making us out to be the bad guys.
B/C the SEC is in the south. Its easy to pick on the south. This hiring black coaches thing is really getting old. Schools are going to hire the best possible coach out there, period. It is all about money and they better hire someone who will win.
Now, I know you are thinking that blacks aren't getting the interview opportunities. The AD'S all communicate with the same people and have a pretty good idea of who deserves an interview. There are plenty of white coaches that are not getting these same interviews as well.
Also, using the 57%(or whatever it is) of the players are Black(I refuse to say Af. Am. b/c we are all Americans) excuse is weak. Are you saying that since there are more blacks playing that there should be more black coaches? That sounds racists to me.
Turner Gill looks to be a pretty good coach but I do know that he is a great human being. We need more people like him in this world. He will end up a big time coach.
People need to relax. There are more and more ex black athletes that have degrees and are pursuing coaching careers. In time there will be plenty of black head coaches in all of the major sports(except, maybe MLB and the NHL).
Relax people. Hell, if anything, the whites might start worrying about their future coaching opportunities.
Common sense.

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: oppybrit on December 19, 2008, 07:32:44 pm
I wonder what the reaction / opinion is from the WCA  ( white coaches & administrators) is........Oh, never mind..... that organization would be racist!!  ::)
[/quote}

Ahhh The good old boys had this orginization for years... You would've never had a BCA without it.

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: TexHog188 on December 18, 2008, 01:37:17 pm
"Pretty Good" and a co-championship (3 teams).... but does it warrant a jump to the most competitive conference in America, the SEC!  No it does not.  Gill will move on from Buffalo probably after next year, perhaps to TCU as Jason Whitlock (Fox Sports) suggests.  He has ties to the DFW area and could have some success at recruiting Texas for a very good non-BCS school.  If he can win there, he will get his opportunity at a BCS school, probably in the Big 12.

But if he's Gene Chezinik he gets the Auburn Job! 5-19 at Big 12 power Iowa St. Gill spent a big chunk of time coaching at Nebraska and winning as a QB there. Chezinik put togather impressive bodies of work at Texas and Auburn as a DC. Speaking of Texas, Muschamp wont have to toil like Gill at some dreaded Ottawa St. Teachers College of Canada to get the Texas Job. The Auburn job wasn't a good fit for T. Gill anyway!!

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: the donger on December 19, 2008, 11:42:45 pm
B/C the SEC is in the south. Its easy to pick on the south. This hiring black coaches thing is really getting old. Schools are going to hire the best possible coach out there, period. It is all about money and they better hire someone who will win.
Now, I know you are thinking that blacks aren't getting the interview opportunities. The AD'S all communicate with the same people and have a pretty good idea of who deserves an interview. There are plenty of white coaches that are not getting these same interviews as well.
Also, using the 57%(or whatever it is) of the players are Black(I refuse to say Af. Am. b/c we are all Americans) excuse is weak. Are you saying that since there are more blacks playing that there should be more black coaches? That sounds racists to me.
Turner Gill looks to be a pretty good coach but I do know that he is a great human being. We need more people like him in this world. He will end up a big time coach.
People need to relax. There are more and more ex black athletes that have degrees and are pursuing coaching careers. In time there will be plenty of black head coaches in all of the major sports(except, maybe MLB and the NHL).
Relax people. Hell, if anything, the whites might start worrying about their future coaching opportunities.
Common sense.

Larry Estachey is a great human being as well as Andy Kennedy, Aldolf Rupp and Ross Barnett and Birmingham's own Bull Connor.

Brownie Tuggle

December 20, 2008, 01:55:42 am #108 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:24:44 am by Brownie Tuggle
Quote from: HatfieldHog on December 19, 2008, 10:51:44 pm
I'm not sure that there is a problem with Black Coaches in College Football.  I think it's about coaching ability and productivity.  Do you guys think that Lovie Smith would get an interview if he said that he was leaving the NFL and wanted into College Football?  What about Tony Dungy?  Think he could get a job in College Football? 

Any AD in the SEC that needed a coach would jump at either of those guys, and, you know what:  They are both Black!  But, being black in not a qualification for a coaching job.  Motivating players, managing a program, developing talent, that's what Dungy and Smith can do!

See ya

Niether could get a SEC Job at Tennessee, Alabama, UGA, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, LSU or Ole Miss.  Kentucky, Vandy and MSU would take them. In 10 years non of the 9 schools listed above will have a Black Head Coach. Look at Charlie Strong. His tenure in the SEC includes 2 stops at Florida and 1 at SC. Aint nobody in the SEC beating down the doors to get him and he's got a NC Ring on his finger. Now he can go to Troy St. and work his way up to the Akron job and to N.C. State maybe. But he wont see a SEC job ever!

Pigdiana Jones

White, Black, Yellow, Purple, Blue, Green... It doesn't matter the color of one's race. If they can coach, then they can coach. Saying you're not hiring enough "black" head coaches speaks of racism. Because you're specifically mentioning someone's race in referring to a job, this is racism, no ands, ifs, or buts about it. It should be is this "HUMAN BEING" the best candidate for the job? If so, welcome aboard, if not, we're sorry but you are not the best candidate for the job. Anytime you start saying minorities, or this color or that color in referencing a job, instead of the person's skills, it is racism.

On top of this, the reverse discrimination that is gaining momentum in society, is nothing really than racism. But because "Whites" are so racist, when we call out on it, it's called reverse discrimination.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

HotlantaHog

Quote from: oppybrit on December 19, 2008, 07:32:44 pm
I wonder what the reaction / opinion is from the WCA  ( white coaches & administrators) is........Oh, never mind..... that organization would be racist!!  ::)
The association of white coaches and administrations is know as the NCAA. (They are almost all white.)

ChicoHog

Quote from: cypert2 on December 18, 2008, 04:58:40 pm
If Chizik was black he would of never been considered for the Auburn job. And no matter what his race he wouldn't even be given an interview by any other major college. Fact is, some rich white guys at Auburn wanted Chizik to be the coach. Why, I can't imagine.
Maybe because he was the Def-coordinator when they were really good and knows a lot of people?  Pretty simple answer.

RazorWild

Racism is every where.  Whites/Blacks are the worst.  We are all racist to some extent.  I've known some of the nicest black folks who I would have never thought would be racist, but then heard their conversations behind doors.  Race will never go away.  Blacks will never give up the "slave thing"  and whites will never give up the fact that most blacks still think we owe them for what happened to their grandfathers grandfather.  I think the chance of having a black coach in alabama would be more of a shocker than a "real" black president.

Dances With Hogs

Tired of hearing about the always woa is me crap.
Quote from: NuttSu on December 18, 2008, 09:21:14 pm
If anyone screams racism,it should be white basketball players.

NuttSu

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on December 20, 2008, 09:16:55 pm
Tired of hearing about the always woa is me crap.
Huh? speak english please.

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: RazorWild on December 20, 2008, 08:52:33 pm
Racism is every where.  Whites/Blacks are the worst.  We are all racist to some extent.  I've known some of the nicest black folks who I would have never thought would be racist, but then heard their conversations behind doors.  Race will never go away.  Blacks will never give up the "slave thing"  and whites will never give up the fact that most blacks still think we owe them for what happened to their grandfathers grandfather.  I think the chance of having a black coach in alabama would be more of a shocker than a "real" black president.

"Whites will never give up the "FACT" that most Blacks think we owe them for what happened to their grandparents"  Brillient! LMAO!!!

the donger

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on December 21, 2008, 02:17:40 am
"Whites will never give up the "FACT" that most Blacks think we owe them for what happened to their grandparents"  Brillient! LMAO!!!
Yep, it is a "fact" that most blacks think that. BTW, it is spelled Brilliant.

VRaptor

Barkley screams racism because that is all he looks for. I don't take a lot of stock in anything he has to say for that reason.

If you want to look for a plausable reason for this hire, first look at why a sucessful prior coach was fired. This season gave them an excuse, but they were trying to get rid of tupperville even while he was winning.

Tup was his own man and the money people couldn't control him. That is what they think their money should buy , control.

When they got their chance to change coaches, they looked for one they could manipulate. the answer to that question was Chizik and Gill not so much.

If it had been the other way around, then they would being hailed for hiring a black coach.

Bottom line: they wanted a coach they could control and Chizik fit the bill.

Hogsnort

December 21, 2008, 05:24:24 am #118 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:49:41 am by Hogsnort
Since we're on the subject of Black coaches and the SEC, I've always thought that Nolan could have perhaps been a better football coach than Hootie. That may be purely hypothetical and biased thinking......but it sure feels right.