Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn just got BBQ'd on ESPN-WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Started by hogrock, December 16, 2008, 02:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogrock

December 16, 2008, 02:17:40 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:19:24 pm by hogrock
Per radio guy in Auburn, Finebaum and a lady providing extra commentary-they all absolutely slammed Auburn for the hiring; said program set back 10 years, spoke to a horrible "good ol boy" network, said Jacobs was most incompetent ad in NCAA-couldn't go to bathroom without consulting big donors, totally discouraged any African American players from going there, etc.............. That was brutal!

PorkSoda

Maybe people will see now that ESPN did not have a personal vindetta against arkansas and petrino.  Slander is thier way of doing business.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HawgnCorona

i guess controversy makes for a good story and pays the bills...huh?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Auburn blew this big time.  Black athletes will definately think twice about going to Auburn and they have every right to.

Auburn will fall to the bottom of the SEC and may not recover and they deserve it.

UhOhioHog

mathhog

i saw that

prediction: chizik will not coach in 2009

donewithdale

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 03:00:19 pm
Auburn blew this big time.  Black athletes will definately think twice about going to Auburn and they have every right to.

Or they could believe Auburn hired who they thought was a better fit out of Gill and Chizik for whatever reasons.  I don't know if Auburn made this decision on race or not.  But since The Card has been played I'm sure it will affect them. 

secfan30

LeadHog

Said Auburn still had "A Plantation Mentality."

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 03:11:56 pm
Or they could believe Auburn hired who they thought was a better fit out of Gill and Chizik for whatever reasons.  I don't know if Auburn made this decision on race or not.  But since The Card has been played I'm sure it will affect them. 

Stats from Finebaums article,
10 straight losses this season
5-19 overall record
0-8  this year in the Big 12
ISU didn't play Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech
ISU has not won on the road in two years

and you say this guys is a better fit than Gill.  Don't go there.  I'm not saying race is or is not the sole reason in this hire, but to say Chizick is a better fit is dumb.

donewithdale

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 03:48:57 pm
Stats from Finebaums article,
10 straight losses this season
5-19 overall record
0-8  this year in the Big 12
ISU didn't play Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech
ISU has not won on the road in two years

and you say this guys is a better fit than Gill.  Don't go there.  I'm not saying race is or is not the sole reason in this hire, but to say Chizick is a better fit is dumb.

Nowhere in my comments did I say I thought he was a better fit.  You need to re-read my post again.  Auburn had their reasons and I have listed possible reasons in other threads on Hogville. 

Finebaum is a notorious negative pot stirrer.  He is something that has never been seen in the state of Arkansas.  And Iowa St's program is more of a no-win than Ms St given their recruiting base which is near non-existant and has Iowa and Nebraska to compete against for what is there. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 03:54:05 pm
Nowhere in my comments did I say I thought he was a better fit.  You need to re-read my post again.  Auburn had their reasons and I have listed possible reasons in other threads on Hogville. 

Finebaum is a notorious negative pot stirrer.  He is something that has never been seen in the state of Arkansas.  And Iowa St's program is more of a no-win than Ms St given their recruiting base which is near non-existant and has Iowa and Nebraska to compete against for what is there. 

No matter what, you cannot back this decision, or even insinuate that they thought that Chizick was a better fit.  Look at the stats.  I don't care what finebaum wrote, but he does have his stats correct. 

Look at those stats and tell me how Arkansas Tech could hire this guy.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Say what you want about Turner Gill, he turned a very bad Buffalo program around.  People argue that he is not facing the level of competition that the SEC is, but he still is recruiting and coaching for a Buffalo program that plays the same teams that beat the hell out of them year in, and year out.

hogsndawgs

I totally agree that this was an absurd hire. However, I have seen nothing to lead me to believe that race was a factor. I have seen something to lead me to believe that stupidity was a factor. This is based on the fact that they fired TT in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

HOGLIGULA

While I agree Gill is good coach we need to know from him if he was interested in the Auburn job not just presuming he wanted the job

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 03:59:44 pm
Say what you want about Turner Gill, he turned a very bad Buffalo program around.  People argue that he is not facing the level of competition that the SEC is, but he still is recruiting and coaching for a Buffalo program that plays the same teams that beat the hell out of them year in, and year out.

Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

donewithdale

December 16, 2008, 04:02:42 pm #16 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:05:19 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 03:56:59 pm
No matter what, you cannot back this decision, or even insinuate that they thought that Chizick was a better fit.  Look at the stats.  I don't care what finebaum wrote, but he does have his stats correct. 

Look at those stats and tell me how Arkansas Tech could hire this guy.

So because Nutt has a better record than Petrino, he is a better coach?  Because Larry Coker won a NC he is a better coach than Butch?  You know its not that simple. 

Sure there are reasons they could believe he is a better fit:

Gill has never recruited the South.  Chizik has and may still may connections there.

Gill has never even been a coordinator at the major college level.  His own alma mater wouldn't promote him to a coordinator.  Chizik has been at two BCS champions and a national champion including the program where he was hired. 

Gill was not hired by his alma mater for head coach but they instead hired an asst coach with no experience.  Why wouldn't this be a concern to Auburn?

Auburn could have a lists of reasons why they would rather hire Chizik.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 04:02:42 pm
So because Nutt has a better record than Petrino, he is a better coach?  Because Larry Coker won a NC he is a better coach than Butch?  You know its not that simple.

Sure there are reasons they could believe he is a better fit:

Gill has never recruited the South.  Chizik has and may still may connections there.

Gill has never even been a coordinator at the major college level.  His own alma mater wouldn't promote him to a coordinator.  Chizik has been at two BCS champions and a national champion including the program where he was hired. 

Gill was not hired by his alma mater who instead hired an asst coach with no experience.  Why wouldn't this be a concern to Auburn?

Auburn could have a lists of reasons why they would rather hire Chizik.

If you are Auburn, you don't settle for Chizik.  I don't care that you don't hire Turner Gill, there are way more qualified coaches out there that could have been offered this job.

Nutt does not have a better record than Petrino, this year yes, overall no.  Larry Coker won a NC with stud players from another coach.

It's not about Gill or black or white.  If Auburn hired Butch Davis (or any other proven HC) they would have hit a homerun and the race card would not even be an issue, but they hired a very unproven head coach. Chizik was a good coordinator, but obviously could not even remotely turn around a bad ISU.   

donewithdale

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 16, 2008, 04:07:09 pm
Where is the outrage over Tennessee's hire ? What about Miss St ? Neither hired a black coach. Why did Barkley not go off on them ?

Wonder what Kiffin or Mullen's records would be at Iowa State?  I doubt very good. 

And for the record, these aren't my personal opinions on Gill's or Chizik's abilities and if I think Auburn did a great job with this search.  I'm just posing food for thought instead of this witchhunt that Barkley and the media has started with The Card.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Where is the outrage over Tennessee's hire ? What about Miss St ? Neither hired a black coach. Why did Barkley not go off on them ?

There should be outrage over these hires.  How could Tennessee hire a coach that would take a job with the Raiders?  That is even more disturbing.

Killean

Probably because Lane Kiffin could be considered a solid hire based on merits, same with Miss St.  The Auburn hire, they went with a MUCH worse white candidate over far more qualified black candidates after they had done the SAME THING with their basketball coaching search.

Chizik lost to BAYLOR 38-10.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 04:11:46 pm
Wonder what Kiffin or Mullen's records would be at Iowa State?  I doubt very good. 

And for the record, these aren't my personal opinions on Gill's or Chizik's abilities and if I think Auburn did a great job with this search.  I'm just posing food for thought instead of this witchhunt that Barkley and the media has started with The Card.

I completely agree with you that this is a witchhunt, but Auburn brought this on themselves.  You hire based on qualifications, Gill may not have been qualified in Auburns eyes, but Chizik sure as hell is not qualified either.  They should have hired a proven HC.

donewithdale

Quote from: Killean on December 16, 2008, 04:15:06 pm
Probably because Lane Kiffin could be considered a solid hire based on merits, same with Miss St.  The Auburn hire, they went with a MUCH worse white candidate over far more qualified black candidates after they had done the SAME THING with their basketball coaching search.

Chizik lost to BAYLOR 38-10.

How is Gill FAR more qualified? 

SRFL

Quote from: LeadHog on December 16, 2008, 03:36:46 pm
Said Auburn still had "A Plantation Mentality."

Whoa.  That is brutal. 

Nutt better batten the hatches on the 1 and 2 stars he is recruiting...here comes Auburn.  They will need a lot of them after this.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 04:15:31 pm
I completely agree with you that this is a witchhunt, but Auburn brought this on themselves.  You hire based on qualifications, Gill may not have been qualified in Auburns eyes, but Chizik sure as hell is not qualified either.  They should have hired a proven HC.

Is it at all possible Gill did not want the Auburn Job?
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

Kevin Bacon

Uh, because he is not a UT or MSU alum?

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 04:17:02 pm
How is Gill FAR more qualified? 

Probably because he turned perennial doormat Buffalo into a league contender that trounced #10 and undefeated Ball State 42-24 for the conference Championship this season.  Even when he was at Nebraska he was considered an excellent recruiter that has recruiting ties in Texass and Arkansas in his list.  What does Cheeze-its resume contain?

hogsndawgs

Barkely went to school at Auburn. Thus the outrage at Auburn.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Point of the matter, Auburn blew it.  We are past the days of the good ol' boy, case in point, Arkansas hiring Bobby Petrino.

Auburn is now the bottom of the SEC barrel. 

If you are a recruit and you have Petrino, Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, Richt, and Chizik recruiting......wait a minute, what seems out of place in that sentence?

donewithdale

Quote from: Kevin Bacon on December 16, 2008, 04:27:05 pm
Probably because he turned perennial doormat Buffalo into a league contender that trounced #10 and undefeated Ball State 42-24 for the conference Championship this season.  Even when he was at Nebraska he was considered an excellent recruiter that has recruiting ties in Texass and Arkansas in his list.  What does Cheeze-its resume contain?

So that makes him FAR more qualified than a great DC at championship programs?  Wouldn't that have made him more qualified than Pelini at Nebraska? 

If Gill is so great, why doesn't Iowa State go after him?  Are they prejudiced?  After all, he has Big 12 experience and in that region.  If he is FAR more qualified, wouldn't it make sense Iowa St would significantly upgrade with Gill?

But Gill announced today he is staying at Buffalo. 

rude1

Say goodbye to the big time Auburn and say hello to your new cellar dweller status. When your own high profile alum is beating you up, and the networks join in on the fun, the writing is pretty much on the wall. How could these people even be allowed to run an athletic program? The dumbest hire in my lifetime, then to compound it with statements like, "we hired the best fit for our program". Thereby pretty much confirming everyones suspicion. TT has to be some where in a duck blind, laughing his azz off.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 16, 2008, 04:30:32 pm
I know where he went to school. He should have griped just as much about the other schools not hiring a black coach if he was going to roast AU over it. That is if he was really concerned about black coaches getting a fair shot. Barkley is just a big mouth attention whore

Correction: A big mouth attention whore whore who's interest lies with his alma mater.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: hogsndawgs on December 16, 2008, 04:30:16 pm
Barkely went to school at Auburn. Thus the outrage at Auburn.

I believe Barkley was also on the Bball search committee when Auburn was looking for a new coach for that team, hence, he would know more about what goes on at Auburn than anyone here.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on December 16, 2008, 04:37:53 pm
I believe Barkley was also on the Bball search committee when Auburn was looking for a new coach for that team, hence, he would know more about what goes on at Auburn than anyone here.

Very good point. 

majp51

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 03:54:05 pm
  And Iowa St's program is more of a no-win than Ms St given their recruiting base which is near non-existant and has Iowa and Nebraska to compete against for what is there. 

Where do you get this?

Over the past 6 seasons prior to the wunderkind Gene Chizik, ISU has been 9-3 once and 7-5 twice. MSU would love that success.

Gene Chizik's Head COaching resume reads worse that Ed Orgeron's. In the 3 recruiting years, he had done about the same, if not a little worse than the previous Regime in Aimes, and on the field he did considerably worse.

The last season pre Chizik, ISU went 4-8.
After Chizik took over, the Cyclones went 3-9 followed by this year's 2-10 debacle.

Hi best recruiting season BTW, was taking over recruiting from the previous coach. 

SRFL

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on December 16, 2008, 04:37:53 pm

Yes, yes he was.  One of his 3 candidates in fact was Mike Anderson.

donewithdale

What Auburn did with this hire, even if they did make the decision without race being a factor, is give the black coaches association and other affirmative action groups leverage with the NCAA to add legislation.  And we all know how that worked out with Title IX.  Its usefullness will be far outlived and it will end up having a negative effect.

bellavistamike

In fact, Charles was told to leave that committee after voicing his dissatisfaction about how the search was going... Maybe he does what he speaks when it comes to Auburn.

donewithdale

December 16, 2008, 04:44:11 pm #38 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:46:28 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: majp51 on December 16, 2008, 04:41:46 pm
Where do you get this?

Over the past 6 seasons prior to the wunderkind Gene Chizik, ISU has been 9-3 once and 7-5 twice. MSU would love that success.

Gene Chizik's Head COaching resume reads worse that Ed Orgeron's. In the 3 recruiting years, he had done about the same, if not a little worse than the previous Regime in Aimes, and on the field he did considerably worse.

The last season pre Chizik, ISU went 4-8.
After Chizik took over, the Cyclones went 3-9 followed by this year's 2-10 debacle.

Hi best recruiting season BTW, was taking over recruiting from the previous coach.

You are arguing that Iowa St's recruiting base is better than Ole Miss' and Miss St's?  That is stupid.  Your post simply points out that McCarney did a pretty good job at Iowa St - better than Chizik.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Our recruiting just got better with the Chizik hire. 

SRFL

the 1 and only

This hire had nothing to do with race.
  the big money at Auburn wanted a yes man.
Not a coach.
Gill is nobodys yes man.
Chizik is just that.
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 04:34:12 pm
Point of the matter, Auburn blew it.  We are past the days of the good ol' boy, case in point, Arkansas hiring Bobby Petrino.

Auburn is now the bottom of the SEC barrel. 

If you are a recruit and you have Petrino, Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, Richt, and Chizik recruiting......wait a minute, what seems out of place in that sentence?

You just made the point of why Gill would not want the auburn job good luck beating out Saban for Alabama recruits

Kevin Bacon

December 16, 2008, 04:58:11 pm #43 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:00:12 pm by Kevin Bacon
Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 04:34:17 pm
So that makes him FAR more qualified than a great DC at championship programs?  Wouldn't that have made him more qualified than Pelini at Nebraska? 

If Gill is so great, why doesn't Iowa State go after him?  Are they prejudiced?  After all, he has Big 12 experience and in that region.  If he is FAR more qualified, wouldn't it make sense Iowa St would significantly upgrade with Gill?

But Gill announced today he is staying at Buffalo. 

Pelini?  Did you just insult your own point by using pelini as an argument against Gill?  Wouldn't that be the most accurate "apples to apples" argument here?  After all Pelini was LSU's top notch DC and was a longtime DC for others until finally getting the Nebraska gig.  Enter Chizik.  Whiz-bang DC for aubbie then gets the gig at ISU and has done nothing much since.  Now, compare that to what I originally stated that Gill has done at Buffalo. 

Maybe aubbie, in their infinite wisdom, thought Buffalo to Auburn was too big of a one time step for Gill and didn't want to put any undo pressure on him and let him work his own way up the ladder.  Hmmm, yeah, that's the ticket!

pigface

Tubberville stars in "The Tale of Despereaux".  Catch his new found fame in theatres this weekend.

majp51

Actually this one is pretty easy. In both cases they went with splashy big name "Potential" coaches. I think Kiiffen is a bad choice, and Mullen a good risk. But in both cases, there weren't any "better" qualified black coaches.

Meanwhile Chizik's resume screams "Should have stayed a Coordinator"

It's one thing to not make a big deal when A guy who was hailed as the "Next great thing" at USC, who goes to the cesspool that is the Oakland Raider, and then to UT. It's another to lay low when a clearly unqualified white coach is offered over a Much more qualified Black Head Coach.

Barkley et. al, are complaining because the process appears broken. Turner Gill may or may not be better than Lane Kiffin or Dan Mullen, and he may not have been interested in either position. He appears to have been interested enough to interview with Auburn though, and then Auburn goes with a White coach with a significantly worse coaching record.

Had Patterson, or Graham, or Petersen , or Leach, or anyone similar to them been selected, and they had been white, I don't expect Barkley would have opened his mouth.

Hogs-n-Roses

Albarn and Tennessee both have in place the GOB network and more importantly a BOT who are afraid of the Powers that be and in a nutshell (pun intended) will continue to fall ever so gradually into mediocrity. I don't wish bad on them or their fans but I do feel their pain. For as much as I supported and loved JFB,duely noting all his accomplishments, he still hung around 20 years to long(fault of BOT and PTB) and set us back at least 10 years. Same scenario is happening at Albarn. Although unproven,I feel like the new AD,Chancellor and New Board members(chicken people) will lead us in a more modern approach. We still have some cleaning out to do but our beginning has been awesome. Great things are possible for us. Those schools are still stuck in the past. Viva la revolution!

flagstaffhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 16, 2008, 02:26:07 pm
Maybe people will see now that ESPN did not have a personal vindetta against arkansas and petrino.  Slander is thier way of doing business.

Now this is something to think about.....
Go HOGS Go!

HOGLIGULA

Just a thought maybe Gill is a lot smarter than to take a job that is a less than perfect situation and in one of the most demanding conferences in the country, recruiting against Saban, expected to win the Iron bowl within three years and only being secure in his job for  four years if that long, seems to me like Gill is pretty wise and Chisek looks pretty stupid right now

NWASooner

Race notwithstanding, Auburn blew this.  The fact that they interviewed Turner Gill and purposely chose Chizik makes it worse.

They're going to get killed in recruiting.  It'll set the program back 10 years.