Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sir Charles and Auburn

Started by 10thPlanet, December 15, 2008, 11:21:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

10thPlanet

December 15, 2008, 11:21:10 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:52:49 am by dkwvike
"Lobbying for Gill, alum Barkley says Auburn should have hired black coach."
I say they should have hired a coach, and it's not Chizik forsure. I think they just killed their recruiting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769

idochog

Honestly what he is saying is correct.  Comparing Gill to Cheez-it and Gills resume is much more impressive
I love Jesus!

RedSatinHog

I'm inclined to agree with Barkley.  You cannot look at the resumes for Chizik and Gill and maintain that Chizik deserved the job.  There is nothing about what Chizik has accomplished which even suggests that he's ready for this challenge.

i don't give a darn if Gill is red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo or violet, he deserves the chance at a job like this. 

Turner Gill will get the chance at a job like this one day.  How ironic would it be if that school faced Auburn in a bowl game?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

DeltaBoy

Auburn is screwing up by POing Sir Charles, He can really help or Hurt recruiting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Barkley is right about Auburn hiring Chizik over Gill.  I respect Barkley and love how he has a straight forward answer for everything.  At least he is being honest and you have to respect that.

My only problem with Barkley in the report is when the report stated "Barkley said he told Auburn officials he would serve on the committee only if the school was ready to hire a black coach."  Now I understand that does not mean only hire a black coach, but his only recommendations for the job were three black coaches.  Thats close minded.

The job should go to the person best qualified and prepared for the job, no matter the color. 

Barkley only wants to hire black coaches, which is just as wrong as hiring a white coach over a better qualified black coach. 

Jimbo

Where is all the flake for Syracuse, Clemson, Washington, Miss. State, Tennessee, San Diego St., and Ball St for not hiring Gill? I mean Syracuse is right down the road from Buffalo and they didn't hire him. If Gill was so good it would seem one of these schools would have taken a look at him before the MAC championship game.

As for the Auburn deal I wouldn't have hired Chizik either. For my money I would have tried Oklahomas offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. Maybe Gill turned down the Auburn job, has anyone asked him if he was offered the job?

hogsndawgs

Quote from: dkwvike on December 15, 2008, 11:21:10 pm
I say they should have hired a coach, and it's not Chizik forsure. I think they just killed their recruiting.

This hire was right, and Barkely is right that they didn't hire the best man. He's also right that Gill was the best man. However, I have not seen any evidence that race was a motivating factor. Did they fire Tubbs becasue he is white? I think that the AU athletic dept. is just mentally challenged.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: Jimbo on December 16, 2008, 01:43:32 pm
Where is all the flake for Syracuse, Clemson, Washington, Miss. State, Tennessee, San Diego St., and Ball St for not hiring Gill? I mean Syracuse is right down the road from Buffalo and they didn't hire him. If Gill was so good it would seem one of these schools would have taken a look at him before the MAC championship game.

As for the Auburn deal I wouldn't have hired Chizik either. For my money I would have tried Oklahomas offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. Maybe Gill turned down the Auburn job, has anyone asked him if he was offered the job?

lol at your avatar, but I've got several friends that went to undergrad at OM and they have very attractive females. A dumb-ass football coach, but very attractive women.

Swino

Charles is a racist. 

If a white guy said "I don't care who they hire, as long as he is white" he would be torn apart. 

Get the best person for the job, period.  That being said, they should have hired Gill. No way, NO WAY cheezdik has a better resume than Gill.

Dr. Starcs

Sir Charles needs to give it a rest. 

I cannot stand how everything is turned in to a race issue. 

I understand that Gill is apparently a good coach.  But comparing the MAC and his success there with the Big 12 and Chizik's lack of success there is not totally fair. 

I really didn't hear Barkley applaud America's decision when we elected his candidate for president.  You only hear about things when it doesn't go the way he wanted it to. 

donewithdale

If Gill is so great, why didn't Nebraska hire him over an asst coach with no experience?

Gill has no SEC experience which means no recruiting ties in the South.  Do we know if Chizik still does since he was a coach in this region? 

Gill left Nebraska and coaching to work in the Packers office.  That doesn't seem like a move an up and comer makes. 

Chizik made a career mistake in going to Iowa St.  Even some of the most agenda driven media members including ESPN's Schlabach acknowledges this.  Should that end Chizik's career if another program thinks he is a fit?

Just posing questions.

HOGLIGULA

Well there is one part of this entire story that is missing.  Was Turner Gill actually a candidate for the Auburn job?  Did he have his agent contact Auburn about the Job?  Did he want to take the Auburn job?  These are the real questions that need to be answered
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

BayofPigs

Quote from: Nip/Tusk on December 16, 2008, 03:16:01 pm
Sir Charles needs to give it a rest. 

I cannot stand how everything is turned in to a race issue. 

I understand that Gill is apparently a good coach.  But comparing the MAC and his success there with the Big 12 and Chizik's lack of success there is not totally fair. 

I really didn't hear Barkley applaud America's decision when we elected his candidate for president.  You only hear about things when it doesn't go the way he wanted it to. 

i love canada!

Abominable Hillbilly

Just like everything else in this country, race should not be a factor.  The best man/woman should get the job.  It does appear that Gill should have got the job.
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Abominable Hillbilly

I'm glad Auburn hired who they did.  Now ARkansas will only have AL and LSU to compete with year in and year out.
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

hogs25

With AU, whatever Bobby Lowder wants, Bobby Lowder gets.  He's the problem with AU having a MAJOR booster on the bot's.  If the man wanted to he could literally make Charles quit TNT (money talks) and mow his yard everyday for the rest of his life.  He's a billionaire many times over so the problem starts with him then trickles down to the AD, President and so on.  Google him and read about him.  Charles does have a point but at the end of the day is anything going to matter now by slamming one of the few places he loves?  He'll be back to Vegas playing "$25,000 a hand" blackjack in no time.

CoonHog1971

Turner Gill may have been a better hire than Chizik.  However why do people only criticize the SEC for not hiring black coaches. Didn't Miss St. hire a black coach, and look where it got them. Auburn hired who they wanted. Enough said. They are the ones paying his salary.  Frick Charles Barkley, and his racist piece of crap ass!

hoglady

Barkley just blew his top.
This is 2 major hires (football and basketball) where Auburn passed over outstanding black candidates to hire a not so outstanding white coach. Seriously, how do you explain their reasoning for hiring these guys?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

songofthesword

Quote from: hogs25 on December 16, 2008, 03:53:22 pm
With AU, whatever Bobby Lowder wants, Bobby Lowder gets.  He's the problem with AU having a MAJOR booster on the bot's.  If the man wanted to he could literally make Charles quit TNT (money talks) and mow his yard everyday for the rest of his life.  He's a billionaire many times over (maybe 1-300 million) so the problem starts with him then trickles down to the AD, President and so on.  Google him and read about him.  Charles does have a point but at the end of the day is anything going to matter now by slamming one of the few places he loves?  He'll be back to Vegas playing "$25,000 a hand" blackjack in no time.

I hate when people sput crap that's not true

I took your advice, I did look him. he's not a billionare. he's not close to being a billionare. he owns a pretty nice sized regional bank in alabama and gets paid about 2 million a year. he's probably worth a tad bit more becuase he owns the bank. but he's no millionare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Lowder

if he was a 'BILLIONARE MANY TIMES OVER" HE'S BE WELL ON THE FORBES LIST.. you don't even have to be a billionare to be on the forbes list. he's no where to be found.

put in perspective, I personally know and I am friends with a family that sold their bank to the walton's some while back. I know their son pretty well, and while he's freaking paid and set for life.. he's no billionare. not close. but money is the least of their issues I promise you that.

anyway, just wanted to clear that up.

Throwback1

Don't think it's about race, but about bargain shopping.  Having said that, Gill is lucky because Auburn won't beat Bama as long as Saban is there no matter who the coach is.  Secondly, to be fair. if Ark. had hired Chizik with his record, they would have heard us screaming from here to Alcatraz.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Mitch C

You mean Barkley just now realized that Auburn is largely a racist institution?

ChicoHog

Quote from: hoglady on December 16, 2008, 06:44:53 pm
Barkley just blew his top.
This is 2 major hires (football and basketball) where Auburn passed over outstanding black candidates to hire a not so outstanding white coach. Seriously, how do you explain their reasoning for hiring these guys?
I like Lebo.  I think he is a pretty good coach. Not sure on his recruitng ability and of course that's 75% of the job so time will tell.  I think he gets the most out of his talent though.

Also what makes Gill so good all of a sudden?  They were 7-5 in the MAC!  Why no uproar over Brady hoke, Brian kelly, etc.,  Why didn't NU hire him instead of Bo Pellini?  Barkley needs to shut up sometimes.  That guy can get away with saying anything and no one evers calls him out. 

huz03

Quote from: dkwvike on December 15, 2008, 11:21:10 pm

Honestly, this is the worst thing that could have happened to Auburn right now with Bummer being AWESOME.  They just lost most of their black recruits in a sentence and everyone of those kids, I could almost guarantee would rather go play for a winning coach than one who may have been hired for his race.  Not to be racist, but black athletes are sometimes finicky in how they can be recruited by white coaches already, but I can't imagine this will help Auburn's case.
D-Mac for Heisman!

Boarcephus

Here's Lebo's record at Auburn.

2004–2005   Auburn   14-17           4-12   T-5th (West)   
2005–2006   Auburn   12-16           4-12   T-5th (West)   
2006–2007   Auburn   17-15            7-9   T-3rd (West)   
2007–2008   Auburn   14-16            4-12   6th (West)   
Auburn:                    57-64   19-45

Davis, Capel, and Anderson have all faired much better than Lebo.  It appears Charles may know a thing or two about what it takes to be a successful coach and the Auburn brass might consider listening to him.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

donewithdale

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 16, 2008, 08:10:25 pm
Here's Lebo's record at Auburn.

2004–2005   Auburn   14-17           4-12   T-5th (West)   
2005–2006   Auburn   12-16           4-12   T-5th (West)   
2006–2007   Auburn   17-15            7-9   T-3rd (West)   
2007–2008   Auburn   14-16            4-12   6th (West)   
Auburn:                    57-64   19-45

Davis, Capel, and Anderson have all faired much better than Lebo.  It appears Charles may know a thing or two about what it takes to be a successful coach and the Auburn brass might consider listening to him.

Lebo's first team had one player over 6-6.  They lost 9 letterman from the season before.  Davis, Capel, Coach A, Nolan, Pearl, Coach K, Dean Smith wouldn't have done much better with that rebuilding project.  But don't let details get in the way of glancing at something and coming to a conclusion.

hogs25

Quote from: songofthesword on December 16, 2008, 07:11:07 pm
I hate when people sput crap that's not true

I took your advice, I did look him. he's not a billionare. he's not close to being a billionare. he owns a pretty nice sized regional bank in alabama and gets paid about 2 million a year. he's probably worth a tad bit more becuase he owns the bank. but he's no millionare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Lowder

if he was a 'BILLIONARE MANY TIMES OVER" HE'S BE WELL ON THE FORBES LIST.. you don't even have to be a billionare to be on the forbes list. he's no where to be found.

put in perspective, I personally know and I am friends with a family that sold their bank to the walton's some while back. I know their son pretty well, and while he's freaking paid and set for life.. he's no billionare. not close. but money is the least of their issues I promise you that.

anyway, just wanted to clear that up.

As CEO of Colonial BancGroup, a bank holding company with $21 billion in total assets, Lowder is arguably the most powerful person in the state of Alabama, let alone on the Auburn campus.

I bet he don't use a dime of it for personal use.  That's what you call loophole.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285976

songofthesword

my freaking gosh.

you being the CEO of a bank that has 21  billion in assets does not make you a billionare. it means you are the CEO of a bank that has 21 billion dollars worth of loan value. it does not mean his company makes 21 billion in revenue a year. not even close to that.

you calculate someone's business worth by the stock they own since he is the CEO of a public company.

I never said the guy was broke, but he's not a billionare, and that my friend is a fact. if he was, he'd be on the forbes list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Americans_by_net_worth

people who found and run regional banks are not billionares

the guy who founded freaking google is only worth just under 2 billion. the CEO of bank of america, a bank 6 times bigger than this guy's bank is worth 2 billion.

agian he's not a billionare. loaded? sure. not a billionare.

Boarcephus

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 08:22:25 pm
But don't let details get in the way of glancing at something and coming to a conclusion.

How about these details, his 4th year in the SEC is no better than his first.  This past year he wound up dead last in the SEC West and this was his latest team.  He's had one year out of three where he won over half his games.  His teams are not getting better entering his 5th year and his record show this.  Now what details am I missing?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

CORZRBACKFAN

Sir Charles has a really big mouth, but he is 100% dead on accurate with this one. Both Chizik and Gill coached at schools with less than stellar potential for success, but Gill actually has shown flashes of brilliance. Chizik? He has a puke record as a head coach and showed no signs of improving upon that lack of success. 5 AND FREAKING 19 vs a Conference Champion! How can you objectively say that this isn't race-influenced?
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

donewithdale

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on December 16, 2008, 09:26:18 pm
Sir Charles has a really big mouth, but he is 100% dead on accurate with this one. Both Chizik and Gill coached at schools with less than stellar potential for success, but Gill actually has shown flashes of brilliance. Chizik? He has a puke record as a head coach and showed no signs of improving upon that lack of success. 5 AND FREAKING 19 vs a Conference Champion! How can you objectively say that this isn't race-influenced?

Gill was only 7-17 after 2 seasons in the MAC.  Is that a big positive difference from 5-19 after 2 seasons in the Big 12?

MacHog19

I have little respect for Barkley and less for the media that allows him to make racist comments with impunity.  That being said, I think the powers that be at Auburn probably did have some racial prejudice in not hiring Gill.  For that matter, if things had been different and Alabama was looking for a coach, they wouldn't have hired Gill either.

songofthesword

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 10:23:11 pm
Gill was only 7-17 after 2 seasons in the MAC.  Is that a big positive difference from 5-19 after 2 seasons in the Big 12?

strawman arguement.

why don't you finish the sentence? Gill was 7-17 at Buffalo at a school that had won 3 games in 2 years before he got there. his third year he won the conference championsihp

Iowa state was 5-7 before he got there, 7 and 5 twice and 9 and 3 before he got there. the year he took over they went 3 and 9 and the next year they went 2 and 10, losing 10 straight.

that's better, and more accurate.

CORZRBACKFAN

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 10:23:11 pm

Well, when you consider that Gill went 8-5 in season 3 and won his conference, I would say that there is a significant difference. I understand that Chizik never got his shot at season 3 at ISU, but do you honestly think ISU was going to do better than 4-8 at best? And that is being VERY generous. This man was not building a program, he was the captain of a sinking ship. To quote the Auburn fan who yelled at their AD, they "need a leader, not a loser." Chizik was a loser at ISU, and that was all he ever was going to be at that school. Throw him in the SEC, and he's just a clown with an undeserved huge paycheck. Bottom line: Gill showed forward progress and promise at Buffalo while Chizik provided a lack of preparation and lack of fan condidence in the future. I could care less about either school-just my honest opinion.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Temprees

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 16, 2008, 07:57:05 pm
I like Lebo.  I think he is a pretty good coach. Not sure on his recruitng ability and of course that's 75% of the job so time will tell.  I think he gets the most out of his talent though.

Also what makes Gill so good all of a sudden?  They were 7-5 in the MAC!  Why no uproar over Brady hoke, Brian kelly, etc.,  Why didn't NU hire him instead of Bo Pellini?  Barkley needs to shut up sometimes.  That guy can get away with saying anything and no one evers calls him out. 
That "why didn't Nebraska hire him (Gill) instead of Bo Pellini" is such a tired and weak argument.  That's the same argument that many used to make about Mike Anderson.  They always said that if Anderson was such a good coach, why had not someone already hired him.   

Face it, all kinds of things go on behind the scenes in hiring decisions, that never come to the light.  With humans making these decisions, I would think that there would be times were inappropriate matters were mentioned, discussed, and even considered; just as there would be occasions where there would not be inappropriate discussions or considerations brought into hiring decisions. 

Why don't we stop speaking for the school administrators as if we were in the room during the hiring discussions.  We really don't know what factors that Auburn considered.   

Temprees

Quote from: donewithdale on December 16, 2008, 08:22:25 pm
Lebo's first team had one player over 6-6.  They lost 9 letterman from the season before.  Davis, Capel, Coach A, Nolan, Pearl, Coach K, Dean Smith wouldn't have done much better with that rebuilding project.  But don't let details get in the way of glancing at something and coming to a conclusion.
What!!!  "Glancing at something".  It is much easier to turn around a basketball program than it is a football program.  After four years, one would think that a Basketball coach at Auburn could do better than 4-12 in the conference and 14-16 overall.   
You focus too much on his first year at Auburn in which he was 4-12 in conference play.  2nd year 4-12 in conference.  3rd year 7-9 in conf, and back to 4-12 in his 4th year at Auburn.  All of the coaches that you mention would have done better than Lebo after their fourth year in a program.  They all did.

RunnerHog

Bobby Lowder at Auburn = Jim Lindsey at Arkansas

Both think what they want out weighs what is good for the programs.

John Futrall

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 12:23:49 pm
Barkley is right about Auburn hiring Chizik over Gill.  I respect Barkley and love how he has a straight forward answer for everything.  At least he is being honest and you have to respect that.

My only problem with Barkley in the report is when the report stated "Barkley said he told Auburn officials he would serve on the committee only if the school was ready to hire a black coach."  Now I understand that does not mean only hire a black coach, but his only recommendations for the job were three black coaches.  Thats close minded.

The job should go to the person best qualified and prepared for the job, no matter the color. 

Barkley only wants to hire black coaches, which is just as wrong as hiring a white coach over a better qualified black coach. 

AMEN!

diehardrbackfan

December 17, 2008, 09:16:11 am #37 Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:21:29 pm by diehardrbackfan

SRFL

Could you imagine if Gus was black?  All of the teams passing him by?

;)

Blue35

Barkley tends to open his mouth without engaging his brain.

kcabrozaR

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 16, 2008, 12:23:49 pm

How do you know the three black coaches were not the most qualified?
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: CoonHog1971 on December 16, 2008, 06:14:56 pm
Turner Gill may have been a better hire than Chizik.  However why do people only criticize the SEC for not hiring black coaches. Didn't Miss St. hire a black coach, and look where it got them. Auburn hired who they wanted. Enough said. They are the ones paying his salary.  Frick Charles Barkley, and his racist piece of crap ass!

Croom had zero head coaching experience when MSU hired him.

Gill has proven his coaching abilities both as a recruiter and a head coach.  Expecting him to bring SEC level talent to Buffalo, NY to play at a mid major school is goofy.  However, when he brings a south FL QB to Lincoln, Nebraska for the cold winters up there, that is saying something about him.

Forget the color of Gill's skin.  He's proven he can coach, and his resume was heads and shoulders above who AU hired.  Auburn blew it on this one.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Blue35 on December 17, 2008, 10:33:58 am
Barkley tends to open his mouth without engaging his brain.

Everything he said was the truth.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on December 17, 2008, 01:02:36 am
Well, when you consider that Gill went 8-5 in season 3 and won his conference, I would say that there is a significant difference. I understand that Chizik never got his shot at season 3 at ISU, but do you honestly think ISU was going to do better than 4-8 at best? And that is being VERY generous. This man was not building a program, he was the captain of a sinking ship. To quote the Auburn fan who yelled at their AD, they "need a leader, not a loser." Chizik was a loser at ISU, and that was all he ever was going to be at that school. Throw him in the SEC, and he's just a clown with an undeserved huge paycheck. Bottom line: Gill showed forward progress and promise at Buffalo while Chizik provided a lack of preparation and lack of fan condidence in the future. I could care less about either school-just my honest opinion.

Let 'em lose to somebody like Baylor, and the folks on the wiregrass will send him packing in the same moving van that the AD is leaving in.

donewithdale

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2008, 01:34:59 am
What!!!  "Glancing at something".  It is much easier to turn around a basketball program than it is a football program.  After four years, one would think that a Basketball coach at Auburn could do better than 4-12 in the conference and 14-16 overall.   
You focus too much on his first year at Auburn in which he was 4-12 in conference play.  2nd year 4-12 in conference.  3rd year 7-9 in conf, and back to 4-12 in his 4th year at Auburn.  All of the coaches that you mention would have done better than Lebo after their fourth year in a program.  They all did.

I stopped after the first season because I get tired of feeding you people information because you are too lazy to do research and too clueless to understand even the situations at own our conference foes.  Lebo's second team started 4 freshman.  Purdue was the only other program that did that that season and they did it for ONE game.  In his thrid season, he lost Barber- one of his best players - for the entire SEC season and a 7-1 center for most of all of the season.  He took over a program where he had far below the maximum NCAA allowed scholarships and at a school with horrible basketball facilities and little support.  Do some damn research people.  Again evidence of how Nutt lasted so long here.

donewithdale

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on December 17, 2008, 02:28:43 pm
Croom had zero head coaching experience when MSU hired him.

Gill has proven his coaching abilities both as a recruiter and a head coach.  Expecting him to bring SEC level talent to Buffalo, NY to play at a mid major school is goofy.  However, when he brings a south FL QB to Lincoln, Nebraska for the cold winters up there, that is saying something about him.

Forget the color of Gill's skin.  He's proven he can coach, and his resume was heads and shoulders above who AU hired.  Auburn blew it on this one.

Gill was 7-17 after two seasons which was just 2 games better than Chizik at Iowa St.  Gill was never even a coordinator on the college level before being hired from a desk job with the Packers.  How is that head and shoulders above Chizik?  And what moron would expect Gill to recruit SEC level players to Buffalo?  That statement doesn't even make sense.

And I'll repeat from yesterday, I'm not personally saying Auburn made a great hire or the right hire.

donewithdale

So Barkley is whining now on PTI.  Supposedly Ty Wllingham is the only black coach to ever get a shot at a decent program.  I guess Randy Shannon doesn't count. 

He says he is right about Auburn but yet gives 0 evidence to back his assumptions.

SRFL

Another nugget on this Auburn outrage re: Gill is as far as the net number of Black HC's is concerned, it wouldn't change. 

He was given 6 minutes to rant with Tony and Mike about the Chizik hire and actually, both Tony and Mike agreed with him.  The conversation morphed from Chizik's qualifications vs. Gill's to should the Rooney Rule be implemented in College Football to finally that black coaches are good enough to play the game for white coaches, be coordinators for white coaches but not HC's for white AD's.

I have to sit here and wonder if Turner Gill will be to the NCAA what Rosa Parks was to public transportation.  I can see this issue not fading away this time and more people will come out in support of change.  Would I mind?  Not in the least.  But im my mind, it's not about color it's about ability.  And that is the real argument in the issue...being given the opportunity to prove ability.

WilsonHog

December 17, 2008, 05:49:37 pm #48 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:52:57 pm by WilsonHog
I don't understand the outrage over Barkley's comments. Near as I can tell, the only folks who ought to care are Auburn people, and then either from the standpoint that Barkley has uncovered discrimination in their university or that he's simply bringing bad publicity to their school.

What's the big whoop for everyone else?

As an example, every time the acronym "BCA" is uttered some folks get all up in arms, like someone just did them some kind of grievous wrong.

I've never understood it.

RedSatinHog

December 17, 2008, 07:24:30 pm #49 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:29:22 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: donewithdale on December 17, 2008, 03:24:32 pm
Gill was 7-17 after two seasons which was just 2 games better than Chizik at Iowa St.  Gill was never even a coordinator on the college level before being hired from a desk job with the Packers.  How is that head and shoulders above Chizik?  And what moron would expect Gill to recruit SEC level players to Buffalo?  That statement doesn't even make sense.

And I'll repeat from yesterday, I'm not personally saying Auburn made a great hire or the right hire.

Gill was QB's coach at Nebraska from 1992-2003, then coached WR's at Nebraska in 2004.  That period of time included THREE national championships.  He went to the Packers the following year.

Gill was responsible for bringing a kid from south Florida to Nebraska, someone who ultimately won the national title.  His name?  Tommie Frazier.  He also coached a Heisman winner named Eric Crouch.

A simple google search would have prevented you from making a total fool out of yourself.  At any rate, Gill had more experience as a head coach, and had measurable results as well.  Chizik has absolutely NONE!