Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explain this to me about the Miss St head coach position!!! (Gus) please read!!!

Started by HurricaneLakeHog, December 10, 2008, 09:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ConwayHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 11:44:28 am
You forgot to include turnovers.  A bunch of yards doesn't necessarily win you games.

You said his offense didn't click well in their three biggest games (those games haven't defined).  Regardless, I'm sure it will be the three losses (seems a bit odd to me but I'm not a CUSA expert by any means).  He did what he was supposed to.  He put the players in the position to move the ball and they did.  Find me five people on this board that would define an offense not clicking well when they had 528 and 501 yards of offense.  Good luck.

Let the record show that I applaud the hire of MSU. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 11, 2008, 12:08:13 pm
You said his offense didn't click well in their three biggest games (those games haven't defined).  Regardless, I'm sure it will be the three losses (seems a bit odd to me but I'm not a CUSA expert by any means).  He did what he was supposed to.  He put the players in the position to move the ball and they did.  Find me five people on this board that would define an offense not clicking well when they had 528 and 501 yards of offense.  Good luck.

Let the record show that I applaud the hire of MSU.

That wasn't me that said that.  Although, I think he's right about those three games being their toughest.  An SEC team, the CUSA Champion, and Houston (who would've gone to the CUSA Championship if they would've just taken care of Rice in their last game of the year---they beat Tulsa by 40 and scored 70 on them).

Again, in my mind, offensive success is not measured by the amount of yards you are able to put up against your opponents, especially if you are turning the ball over a lot. 

But, to each their own, I guess.

deshahawg

Quote from: Devil_Dog on December 10, 2008, 09:41:16 pm
why do everybody want some school to hire Gus for a head coach?? i mean everytime i read about a school needing a head coach everybody yells Gus name

I've wondered this many times.

okiehawg

Wow, I must say I am pretty impressed with the majority of Hogville.  With the number of post that pop up proclaiming that Gus should get hire at school X as soon as their HC is gone, I had to started to think that the majority  of Hogville had become dellusional (sp?).  But then I read this thread and realized many of us here still do have some common sense.  I am happy to see that.

Mr. Hog

Be
why do everybody want some school to hire Gus for a head coach?? i mean everytime i read about a school needing a head coach everybody yells Gus name
Because it's jut a matter of time before someone with any football smarts does.
Go Hogs Go!

ConwayHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 12:39:44 pm
That wasn't me that said that.  Although, I think he's right about those three games being their toughest.  An SEC team, the CUSA Champion, and Houston (who would've gone to the CUSA Championship if they would've just taken care of Rice in their last game of the year---they beat Tulsa by 40 and scored 70 on them).

Again, in my mind, offensive success is not measured by the amount of yards you are able to put up against your opponents, especially if you are turning the ball over a lot. 

But, to each their own, I guess.

I'm not talking about offensive success in general but to say the offense didn't click is absurd.  YPG can be skewed.  Starting field position has a lot to do with that as does style of play.  His offenses have proven in three years that they are very effective.  Some people (not you) cannot give the guy an ounce of credit.  He's a good football coach.  He's just not more qualified than Dan Mullen.

My apologies for crediting you with that quote.

ConwayHog

Quote from: rzrbkman on December 11, 2008, 05:55:04 pm
That's a lot of yards that didn't lead to a lot of points. Lets see that offense get the points to match the yards, against a credible opponent, before thinking of it as an offense that clicked.

The offense worked for crying out loud.  You must be the only person that could possibly think having 500 yards of offense meant it didn't click.  They were three yards away from getting 37 points on us.  That's a goal-line failure (high snap series and the 4th quarter stand), not an offensive failure.  To point the success or failure of an offense on three plays is absurd.  His offense moves the ball.  You'd have to be a fool or a "Gus-hater" to deny that.  The defense got slaughtered against Houston.  They put up 24 against ECU.  That's not exactly 17 points against Vanderbilt with a future NFL QB.

If I got on here and told you Petrino's offense is terrible because he only put 528 yards and 501 yards respectively while scoring 23 and 24 points, you'd think I were crazy.  We might talk about lack of execution on certain plays but we wouldn't say the offense didn't click.  You would say they had an uncharacteristic high snap and a failure to generate a goal line surge.  In fact, the Razorbacks couldn't do squat on the goal line.  I haven't seen anyone in their right mind indicting Bobby for that.   

Pork Authority

If anyone here likes Gus, why in the hell would you wish Miss St on him?
What head coach ever left Miss St for a coaching position elsewhere?  It's the Bermuda Triangle of coaching.

As for Dan Mullen, who can say?  Urban Meyer runs the offense.  There still trying to figure out what Dan Mullen's duties were in Gainesville.  Rumor has it, it was OC.

HoopS

His offense certainly is effective and saying otherwise is just as absurd as thinking he should have gotten the HC gig at Tennessee.

He's innovative.  He is more balanced than some wanted to say.  He plays to his strength.  He wins.

I was thrilled when we hired him.  I saw it as a chance to finally be ahead of the curve.  I liked the idea of getting to the line in a hurry and catching the D off guard.  I always understood the ones who feared it would wear us down or cause our D to tire if we had three and outs, but I could always see how it could work to our advantage too.  Wearing the other D down and if we scored, and did so quickly, put pressure on their O and then continue to tighten the screws. 
I also thought that if snapping the ball so quickly was a problem, we could have rushed to the line and if we caught them vulnerable, snapped quickly.   Otherwise we could have milked the clock some if needed.

Regardless, he wasn't allowed to do it.  He was not given the control he was promised.  Otherwise, he never would have taken the job.  He was lied to.  Used.  And he would have been ruined if he stayed.  I'll never, EVER blame him for leaving.  Knowing the truth of it all - he did what he needed to do, what he HAD to do. 

The promise of what could of been combined with the reality of what transpired has made some of us bitter about it all.  We want nothing more than him to be vindicated - and preferably he slaps a knot on HDN somewhere along the way.  MSU would have worked but the reality is that he will not get an S.E.C spot soon...at least not as a HC.

I would like nothing more than for him to get a shot at a level above CUSA.  I personally think he'll do well, though we could debate that all week (I'd rather not).

I just want him to get a fair shot - at a school that will allow him to do his thing and then we'll let the chips fall where they may. 

In time, he'll get his shot.  I'll pull for his team likely, but I'll always be a Hog fan first.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoopS on December 11, 2008, 08:18:35 pm
His offense certainly is effective and saying otherwise is just as absurd as thinking he should have gotten the HC gig at Tennessee.

He's innovative.  He is more balanced than some wanted to say.  He plays to his strength.  He wins.

I was thrilled when we hired him.  I saw it as a chance to finally be ahead of the curve.  I liked the idea of getting to the line in a hurry and catching the D off guard.  I always understood the ones who feared it would wear us down or cause our D to tire if we had three and outs, but I could always see how it could work to our advantage too.  Wearing the other D down and if we scored, and did so quickly, put pressure on their O and then continue to tighten the screws. 
I also thought that if snapping the ball so quickly was a problem, we could have rushed to the line and if we caught them vulnerable, snapped quickly.   Otherwise we could have milked the clock some if needed.

Regardless, he wasn't allowed to do it.  He was not given the control he was promised.  Otherwise, he never would have taken the job.  He was lied to.  Used.  And he would have been ruined if he stayed.  I'll never, EVER blame him for leaving.  Knowing the truth of it all - he did what he needed to do, what he HAD to do. 

The promise of what could of been combined with the reality of what transpired has made some of us bitter about it all.  We want nothing more than him to be vindicated - and preferably he slaps a knot on HDN somewhere along the way.  MSU would have worked but the reality is that he will not get an S.E.C spot soon...at least not as a HC.

I would like nothing more than for him to get a shot at a level above CUSA.  I personally think he'll do well, though we could debate that all week (I'd rather not).

I just want him to get a fair shot - at a school that will allow him to do his thing and then we'll let the chips fall where they may. 

In time, he'll get his shot.  I'll pull for his team likely, but I'll always be a Hog fan first.

Was it love at first sight or did he have to grow on you a bit?

Sorry, just joking.  Please don't take this seriously.  I thought your post was right on.

DeltaBoy

Dan got a better Resume that Gus.  Be patient Gus will get his Gig soon enough.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 11, 2008, 09:46:37 am
He was?  Not according to this link.  And they've been at Florida for four years.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&staff=mullen

BTW, I was just responding to Veritas argument which I actually think is quite weak.  Most coordinators that get promoted are going to have talented players. 

I guess I did inflate his bio a bit.  He was QB coach at Utah and Bowling Green.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: Pork Authority on December 11, 2008, 08:08:32 pm
If anyone here likes Gus, why in the hell would you wish Miss St on him?
What head coach ever left Miss St for a coaching position elsewhere?  It's the Bermuda Triangle of coaching.
No kiddin...

FATBACKHAWG

You had better watch out or the "Gus Bus" will get you!!!  It has happend to me just for merely stating that has has proved nothing that he could lead an SEC caliber team...And I like Gus....I just don't bang the drum for him

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HotlantaHog

A better question is why wasn't Charlie Strong hired instead. Florida's championships have more to do with defense than offense.

snoblind

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 11, 2008, 07:48:31 am
And I never said that.  But you can't say that about Dan Mullen either.  In fact, you couldn't have said that about Stoops at the time of his hiring.  Unless you are one of the true elite programs, you can't wait until they are proven.  All Dan Mullen has done is run an offense with great talent and a Heisman trophy winner.  Your points seem a bit silly to me.

So while you can't offer absolute proof, I don't think that's always real applicable in hiring college football coaches.  In fact, being successful at a lower tier D-I school does not prove you can be a head coach at this level either.

I would add that being a proven D1 coach at the highest levels doesn't mean the coach can duplicate the same success at a different school - Danny Ford, Lou Holtz, and Steve Spurrier come to mind and I'm sure there are others.  Some times it's just a roll of the dice.

I like Gus and think that one of these days he will make a good head coach.  But, between the two I would probably have took Mullen over Gus...

msudawgs64

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 12, 2008, 12:08:59 pm
A better question is why wasn't Charlie Strong hired instead. Florida's championships have more to do with defense than offense.

because of that fact..our AD wanted an offensive minded coach and to be honest, can you blame him after the past 5 years of suck offense.  We have always been good to decent defensively so this will actually be a change of pace, so to speak.  Defense does win championships but it really don't hurt to move the ball offensively to help said defense.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Blue35

MSU must recruit the offensive players necessary to have a SEC offense. Hiring Strong would have been a step aside and not forward. Gus would probably not take the MSU job, too big of a risk.  It is really a dead end job.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Blue35 on December 13, 2008, 09:10:57 pm
MSU must recruit the offensive players necessary to have a SEC offense. Hiring Strong would have been a step aside and not forward. Gus would probably not take the MSU job, too big of a risk.  It is really a dead end job.

I think the right coach CAN win at Mississippi State, but there are some barriers to success that make it more difficult than most other SEC schools (facilities, money, recruiting base.)

The real problem may be, if a coach has great success at Mississippi State despite the built-in disadvantages, won't that coach become so well regarded nationally he will be hired at top dollar by an Elite Program?

If Mullen proves wildly successful, won't he be lured away? I think the answer is probably yes, though that is a better problem to have than losing a coach for lack of success.