Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explain this to me about the Miss St head coach position!!! (Gus) please read!!!

Started by HurricaneLakeHog, December 10, 2008, 09:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HurricaneLakeHog

Why would Miss St not offer the head coach position to Gus M and give him some money to hire a big name Def Coor?  I totally cannot understand how this wouldn't work.  They could offer him around a million per year and let him pay half a million to bring in a DC.......how could this not work for them?  This sounds way too easy to me.

WilsonHog

All bias aside, if I have to choose between a disciple of Urban Meyer and a coordinator whose collegiate experience conists of one year in Houston Nutt bizarro world and two years under Todd Graham...that's a no brainer.   

Gus needs to either have Graham leave Tulsa so he can get that job or he needs to land the OC position at a top-flight program. That's the next logical step.

Devil_Dog

why do everybody want some school to hire Gus for a head coach?? i mean everytime i read about a school needing a head coach everybody yells Gus name

Mikey

The vast majority of the time, to get the head coaching gig at a BCS conference school, you're going to have to be either a successful head coach at a mid-major or a successful coordinator at another BCS conference school.  Gus just doesn't have a big enough resume yet.

HurricaneLakeHog

I totally and respectfully disagree.  This would work, Gus is smart enough to score pts in the SEC.  A big time DC could do his job and this would work.  I just think it is a no brainer to me.  Oh well.

kcabrozaR

Quote from: HurricaneLakeHog on December 10, 2008, 09:45:23 pm
I totally and respectfully disagree.  This would work, Gus is smart enough to score pts in the SEC.  A big time DC could do his job and this would work.  I just think it is a no brainer to me.  Oh well.
Or they could hire me for $200,000 give me a budget of 2.5 mill to hire OC,DC, and coaches. It would work just as well.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

HurricaneLakeHog

plus....with Nutt and Gus hating each other, isn't this what the state of MS needs to get some airtime?  2 coaches that hate each other in the same state competing for recruits and bragging rights to prove the other is a lesser coach, this would be a home run for Miss St, no doubt!!!!!!!!!

Veritas Arkansas

1)  He's never been the head coach of a college football program before.

2)  He's been coaching at the collegiate level for THREE years. 

That should begin and end it for this talk. 
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on December 10, 2008, 10:30:56 pm
1)  He's never been the head coach of a college football program before.

2)  He's been coaching at the collegiate level for THREE years. 

That should begin and end it for this talk. 

Your first point isn't anything new for coaching candidates.  Folks are hired as a head coach that haven't been head coaches at a collegiate program.  But, since he doesn't have that, it probably means he needs a big-time OC job to compensate.

The three years isn't the issue in my mind.  The man has proven he can coach.  To me, it's where he's been and trying to sell that to the fanbase.  I would take a flyer on Gus if I were an AD, but I can't say between Mullen and Malzahn that I disagree with the conclusion that Mississippi State reached.  It's a much easier sell to the boosters and more people know of Dan Mullen on a national level.  All he has to say is that he was the OC at Florida and kids know exactly what they're getting.  Gus is a regional name. 

webbgem

Matthew 6:34

dr_arkansawyer

Recruiting dood.  Tell the kids - oh yeah we got the OC from Florida, who are like 100 - 0 in the last 15 years, or

oh yeah we got a guy that was a high school coach 3 years ago, but i swear he's good.
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 10, 2008, 11:50:43 pm
Your first point isn't anything new for coaching candidates.  Folks are hired as a head coach that haven't been head coaches at a collegiate program.  But, since he doesn't have that, it probably means he needs a big-time OC job to compensate.

The three years isn't the issue in my mind.  The man has proven he can coach.  To me, it's where he's been and trying to sell that to the fanbase.  I would take a flyer on Gus if I were an AD, but I can't say between Mullen and Malzahn that I disagree with the conclusion that Mississippi State reached.  It's a much easier sell to the boosters and more people know of Dan Mullen on a national level.  All he has to say is that he was the OC at Florida and kids know exactly what they're getting.  Gus is a regional name. 

He's proven he can run an offense, either (a) with one of the best backfields in NCAA history or (B) in the conference USA.

I wouldn't go so far to say he's proven he can be a head coach.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

jcmojica23

Quote from: HurricaneLakeHog on December 10, 2008, 09:33:16 pm
Why would Miss St not offer the head coach position to Gus M and give him some money to hire a big name Def Coor?  I totally cannot understand how this wouldn't work.  They could offer him around a million per year and let him pay half a million to bring in a DC.......how could this not work for them?  This sounds way too easy to me.

Wow someone needs to get off of Gus' nuts

31to6

Because Gus is not proven.

I'm a huge fan, but sorry those are the facts.

He has to either win as a HC at a mid-major or put in some serious tenure as an OC at a BCS school before he will get hired by an SEC program--even MSU.

hogninja

Quote from: wdremington on December 11, 2008, 02:05:58 am
Because Gus is not proven.

I'm a huge fan, but sorry those are the facts.

He has to either win as a HC at a mid-major or put in some serious tenure as an OC at a BCS school before he will get hired by an SEC program--even MSU.

Exactly!!  Gus needs a little more "age ing" at the college level.  Sure, he is capable, but needs the education and grooming with the politics at this level to be considered.  Be patient, it will come.  A bright and focused coach WILL be discovered.   It is just too early yet.. :razorback:

MJ2

Being a Gus man, I don't want him to get a high profile job yet.   I want him available to "come home" when BP heads out in a couple of years.

Sit tight Gus, your true calling will be yours.

OTTER

Quote from: MJ2 on December 11, 2008, 07:18:26 am
Being a Gus man, I don't want him to get a high profile job yet.   I want him available to "come home" when BP heads out in a couple of years.

"A couple of years"?  You'll be waiting a bit longer than that for the "homecoming". 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

ConwayHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on December 11, 2008, 12:24:55 am
He's proven he can run an offense, either (a) with one of the best backfields in NCAA history or (B) in the conference USA.

I wouldn't go so far to say he's proven he can be a head coach.

And I never said that.  But you can't say that about Dan Mullen either.  In fact, you couldn't have said that about Stoops at the time of his hiring.  Unless you are one of the true elite programs, you can't wait until they are proven.  All Dan Mullen has done is run an offense with great talent and a Heisman trophy winner.  Your points seem a bit silly to me.

So while you can't offer absolute proof, I don't think that's always real applicable in hiring college football coaches.  In fact, being successful at a lower tier D-I school does not prove you can be a head coach at this level either.

HoopS

I am a fan of his.  But I think some of the threads or comments are coming from people looking to stir crap up.   The people I align with believe he is a good coach, he will get a HC position this year or next, but it won't be a big, big school.  And he will not likely leave Tulsa for an OC opening elsewhere BC everything I've heard says he won't leave Tulsa for the same position elsewhere - HC or stay....and most likely is to stay and become HC when Graham gets hired away.

I don't throw his name out there for every opening.  I think one of those MAC teams would be about right, unless a CUSA opening happens, then I believe he would be a viable option.

I believe that in time, he'll get his chance and make the most of it.

Shoot me.

TLFHAWG

The majority of the college football world isn't as crazy about Gus as some people are.  He is a fine cord and will be an outstanding HC some day.  He does not have the experience to HC in the SEC at this point.  GO HOGS.   

The Marmot

Quote from: HurricaneLakeHog on December 10, 2008, 09:49:44 pm
plus....with Nutt and Gus hating each other, isn't this what the state of MS needs to get some airtime?  2 coaches that hate each other in the same state competing for recruits and bragging rights to prove the other is a lesser coach, this would be a home run for Miss St, no doubt!!!!!!!!!

Now I know this thread is a joke. Good one HLH.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 11, 2008, 07:48:31 am
All Dan Mullen has done is run an offense with great talent and a Heisman trophy winner. 
You are only looking at the last 3 years at Florida. Mullen was OC at Utah when they went undefeated, and he was OC at Bowling Green when they had a nice run.

Gus is far better prepared to be a HC than Nutt was when he came to Arkansas or, for that matter, when he left Arkansas.  I wish the best for Gus but I can tell this.  Some of the calls made on offense in the Tulsa/Arkansas game and again in the C-USA conference championship game poses a question about proper insertion of personnel and play calling under the gun.  All that said, I would rather have Gus as my HC than 70 percent of the folks now holding HC positions in D1.

Hoggish1

Quote from: MJ2 on December 11, 2008, 07:18:26 am
Being a Gus man, I don't want him to get a high profile job yet.   I want him available to "come home" when BP heads out in a couple of years.

OK, there is nothing wrong with Gus love.  His time will come when Coach Seargent Master moves on.  But your post has to be dripping with sarcasm, right?

dougieritch

With all due respect I don't want to play Gus every year.

Besides Miss St. will be a tough program to turn around, it will take a few years, but the good news is they will be taking recruits from Ole Miss with ease.

destinhawgfan

Quote from: HoopS on December 11, 2008, 07:55:35 am
I am a fan of his.  But I think some of the threads or comments are coming from people looking to stir crap up.   The people I align with believe he is a good coach, he will get a HC position this year or next, but it won't be a big, big school.  And he will not likely leave Tulsa for an OC opening elsewhere BC everything I've heard says he won't leave Tulsa for the same position elsewhere - HC or stay....and most likely is to stay and become HC when Graham gets hired away.

I don't throw his name out there for every opening.  I think one of those MAC teams would be about right, unless a CUSA opening happens, then I believe he would be a viable option.

Shoot me.

Wow, a voice of reason.  This is the best response I've seen on this subject.  Gus will get his chance soon enough.  Thanks for your insight, HoopS.
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail."<br />~ Confucius ~

redbarn

I think Gus will be a great HC when the time is right.  If I was an AD looking to hire a head coach for a BCS school though, I would pass on Gus for the present time.  Reason being, he has not been proven as an offensive coordinator at a BCS school as of yet.  There is a lot of difference in being an OC for Tulsa and an OC at a major program.  I would be looking at whether I thought he could bring in recruits to a BCS school not having the resume from a major program.  Would top recruits want to come to play for an unproven coach who was an OC at a mid major program with only three years of experience out of high school.  Would he be able to hire top assistant coaches for his staff.  Again, would top assistants want to put their futures in the hands of an unproven coach who if he fails would be gone in three or four years.  I think Gus will move up either as an OC at a BCS school in the future or as a head coach of a mid major such as Tulsa but until that happens I don't foresee a major college spending the time or money taking a chance to find out if he is the real deal or not and you can't take the time he spent at Arkansas into account because everyone knows the only real reason he was hired. 
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

HawgAdvocate

The funny thing is that people keep saying Gus "needs more experience." But how much is enough in the minds of the armchair head coaches we have here?

Some school will eventually roll the dice, once Gus applies for whatever job, and will more than likely have a fantastic offense to go with it.

Hell, a lot of pro teams in all sports take guys with no "head coaching experience." Some win, while others don't. The same is true with retread coaches. Hell, Mississippi State took Croom, who had no "head coaching experience."

For anyone on this board to say that Gus can't successfully run his own program is hilarious to me.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The Hogfather

Here, I'll explain it to you:

At this point in time, there were better, more proven options available for MSU than Gus Malzahn.

Is that really hard to understand?

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 11, 2008, 09:49:37 am
For anyone on this board to say that Gus can't successfully run his own program is hilarious to me.

The opposite holds true as well.  For anyone on this board to say that Gus can successfully run his own program as HC on the college level is hilarious to me.  Truth is, we don't know.  Yes, he was successful running a program at the HS level.  Yes, he has been pretty successful as a college OC for the last 3 years.  Does that mean that he will NECESSARILY be successful as the HC of a college football team?  NO.

I think he will be successful when he gets that shot.  But, I also think that it will take a few more years before he gets to try his hand.

msudawgs64

I will make this pretty simple..

Mullen has more experience in A. The SEC and B. at the college level.  Both were items of priority that our AD wanted. 

Yes, it really is that simple and is not debatable if you look at the resume's
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

The Hogfather

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 11, 2008, 09:59:50 am

Mullen has more experience in A. The SEC and B. at the college level.  Both were items of priority that our AD wanted. 

Some of us can see that. 

I understand they are ready for Malzahn to get his shot.  But, sometimes they go overboard with their praise and admiration for him.  He'll get his shot eventually and will be successful, in my opinion. 

I look for it to be at a school like Tulsa or some MAC school first, though.  THEN, maybe an BCS Conference school.

msudawgs64

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 10:03:17 am
Some of us can see that. 

I understand they are ready for Malzahn to get his shot.  But, sometimes they go overboard with their praise and admiration for him.  He'll get his shot eventually and will be successful, in my opinion. 

I look for it to be at a school like Tulsa or some MAC school first, though.  THEN, maybe an BCS Conference school.

could not agree more, I think he is a fine offensive mind and to be honest, he was on my list of coaches I would have wanted, but in the end I think our AD made a good hire.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Biggus Piggus

A first-time head coach wouldn't get a million per year.  Maybe $800K.  But beyond that, Malzahn hasn't earned a head coaching job in the SEC.  Not even close.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 11, 2008, 09:59:50 am

Great hire, by the way.  I think Mullen will be a very good coach for you guys.  He was one of the coordinators I wanted, if we went that route for our hire.

HognVA

I say Gus should be appointed Senator of Ill to fill Obama's seat. It would totally work.

I am not sure why some of you people think gus should be first in line for every dang opening that comes up. Maybe they didn't hire him because they just didn't like him, it doesn't really matter why because its their prerogative. He may turn out to be the next "mad scientist" head coach somewhere like Leach but give him and his career time.

cdhogfan

Why is everyone so sure that GM will be the next HC at Tulsa when TG leaves?

scorekeeper

Quote from: Ar_Hog on December 11, 2008, 06:33:28 am
I'll be glad when Gus does get a HC job!!

So the Gus Huggers will quit starting these ridiculous threads.

Gus is a great guy but he's not Vince Lombardi......
Just a question, Why even mention that Gus isn't Vince Lombardi...heck your son is a good kid but he is not you, does that take away from the fact that your son is a good kid??? Not meaning to nit-pick.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

The_Iceman

Quote from: webbgem on December 11, 2008, 12:05:29 am
Mullen over Malzahn is a no-brainer......

Mullen has coached a Heisman winner and a national championship.

Malzahn has coached at Arkansas and Tulsa.

Not a hard decision for Miss. St.

Tim Harris

If there would be more posts like this on Hogville I don't think there would be as much hatred towards Gus.  I don't dislike him and don't really like him either.  I think he has a good offensive mind but is nowhere near ready to lead an SEC team.  If people are going to throw his name into the hat for HC jobs then they should do it for the ones he is currently qualified for which would be MAC, CUSA, etc...

Quote from: HoopS on December 11, 2008, 07:55:35 am
I am a fan of his.  But I think some of the threads or comments are coming from people looking to stir crap up.   The people I align with believe he is a good coach, he will get a HC position this year or next, but it won't be a big, big school.  And he will not likely leave Tulsa for an OC opening elsewhere BC everything I've heard says he won't leave Tulsa for the same position elsewhere - HC or stay....and most likely is to stay and become HC when Graham gets hired away.

Shoot me.

UAfanatic

It probably would work.

But his resume' does not look that great.
Fans at a school that dont know him, would want the AD's head.

His talent will rise to the top. but he has to build his resume' first.

TexHog188

Gus is a great man and a good coach with an innovative offensive scheme and philosophy.  But has he proven that he can win against non-CUSA talent while at Tulsa or even win his conference championship?  Is Tulsa a national power, or simply a gimmicky offense that rolls up monster stats against lousy defenses in a lousy conference.  It seems most every time Tulsa plays a quality team outside their conference, they lose and their offense is shut way down.  Does Gus still share OC duties with another coach (Co-Offensive Coordinator)?

Can you point to any quality wins by Tulsa in two years?  I can think of only one that I would put in that category and that would be an 8 pt win against BYU in Tulsa.  In contrast, they have loses vs OU, AR, UCF(2), UTEP, ECU, and UH.  His combined record at Tulsa is 19 wins against 7 losses. (Plus a bowl win against Bowling Green last year)  Hardly standout numbers that would warrant being named a HC at a BCS school, let alone an SEC school.  If you take the emotion out of it and look at the resume, the numbers just aren't there.  He's doing a good job, at an average school, in a weak conference.  Even if he were the head coach at TU with those numbers, I don't think that is impressive enough to warrant the promotion to BCS HC.  FWIW.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Tim Harris

Quote from: TexHog188 on December 11, 2008, 10:44:57 am
Does Gus still share OC duties with another coach (Co-Offensive Coordinator)?

According to their website he is still Co-Offensive Coordinator.

PolishPigPower

Look, I think we can all agree that Gus Malzahn will make one heckuva college head coach some day, somewhere.  Nothing about him or his system would make me think otherwise.  He's proven that he can recruit (see: Golden Hurricane, Tulsa), and has proven he can coach (see: career).  He can get more out of a QB than your average bear.

But that doesn't mean he is the right fit for every job.  Personally, I find the hiring of Mullen to be good yet questionable.  He's the OC for another guy's system, and has been for a long time.  Plus, I don't know how responsible he has been for certain areas of recruiting.  Did he bring in either Alex Smith or Tim Tebow, for example?

That said, he is a safer hire than Malzahn would have been.  Not everyone is as familiar with his work at Springdale as we Arkansans are.  Not everyone is aware of what his offenses can do, although that seems to be changing thanks to what is happening at Tulsa.  However, that can still be dismissed because they are a mid-major.

Look at this from a non-Arkansan's view, and I think you'll see that this isn't even a logical discussion.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on December 11, 2008, 12:16:41 am
Recruiting dood.  Tell the kids - oh yeah we got the OC from Florida, who are like 100 - 0 in the last 15 years, or

oh yeah we got a guy that was a high school coach 3 years ago, but i swear he's good.
:D

Tim Harris

This is the way I look at when all these people bring up Gus Malzahn's name for HC openings.  If he had done all of his accomplishments in upstate New York instead of Springdale and been the OC for a school in the MAC would anyone on this board even know who he is?

ConwayHog

Quote from: rzrbkman on December 11, 2008, 10:05:37 am
Because with Gus as OC at Tulsa when the Golden Hurricanes played their 3 toughest opponents this year, that offense did not click as well and Tulsa lost those games.

I think that has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I seriously doubt the AD got that far.  Any objective person would have reached the same conclusion the MSU AD made.

As to assertion that the offense didn't perform in their biggest games (which I assume is the three they lost), I think it's nonsense.  Here's why:

Arkansas-344 Passing, 184 Rushing (528 Total)
Houston-309 Passing, 192 Rushing (501 Total)
ECU-195 Passing, 204 Rushing (399 Total)

Your argument at best indicates they struggled (not clicking well) not three times, but once, in moving the football which is the coordinators job.  I was at the game when they played us and watched a good portion of the game when they played ECU.  They clearly struggled in the ECU game in the 3rd quarter.  The QB played terribly. 

Your argument really doesn't hold water in my mind.  He has performed fine at every stop but any rational thinking person agrees Mullen is the choice.   

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 11, 2008, 11:39:41 am
I think that has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I seriously doubt the AD got that far.  Any objective person would have reached the same conclusion the MSU AD made.

As to assertion that the offense didn't perform in their biggest games (which I assume is the three they lost), I think it's nonsense.  Here's why:

Arkansas-344 Passing, 184 Rushing (528 Total)
Houston-309 Passing, 192 Rushing (501 Total)
ECU-195 Passing, 204 Rushing (399 Total)

Your argument at best indicates they struggled (not clicking well) not three times, but once, in moving the football which is the coordinators job.  I was at the game when they played us and watched a good portion of the game when they played ECU.  They clearly struggled in the ECU game in the 3rd quarter.  The QB played terribly. 

Your argument really doesn't hold water in my mind.  He has performed fine at every stop but any rational thinking person agrees Mullen is the choice.   

You forgot to include turnovers.  A bunch of yards doesn't necessarily win you games.

RZRBack_FAN

Grahm isn't going anywhere for a while. No Ad is dumb enough to hire a loser like him.Gus will have to leave Tulsa to get a Hc job.