Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It SUCKS to be Auburn...

Started by hogzndogz, December 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigerloather

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 03:01:00 pm
Not the same at all.  And I will grant your wish.  You have officially been added to my list.

So far:

870 RZR
TIGERLOATHER

I didn't say it was the same, I said it wasn't far off.  3 years anywhere with a losing record does not make you a proven coach.  1 winning season does not make you a proven coach. Consistent winning does.  Gill may do that, I hope he does and proves everyone right.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

The Hogfather

Quote from: TIGERLOATHER on December 11, 2008, 03:07:21 pm
I didn't say it was the same, I said it wasn't far off.  3 years anywhere with a losing record does not make you a proven coach.  1 winning season does not make you a proven coach. Consistent winning does.  Gill may do that, I hope he does and proves everyone right.

It is way far off.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  If he went 5-7 every year at Buffalo, based on their past history, I'd hire the guy at my school.  He will be successful wherever he goes and I think he did enough at Buffalo thus far to prove that to anyone with an open, logical mind.

COCHISE

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 03:12:53 pm
If he went 5-7 every year at Buffalo, based on their past history, I'd hire the guy at my school. 
That's pretty much all I needed to read.  You wouldn't make it as athletic director of a correctional league with that kind of judgement.

The Hogfather

Quote from: 870 RZR on December 11, 2008, 03:24:14 pm
That's pretty much all I needed to read.  You wouldn't make it as athletic director of a correctional league with that kind of judgement.

Actually, I'm a just a little more forward-thinking and intelligent than you.  I don't need to see an 88-4 record next to a coach's name to recognize that they are a great coach and going to have a successful career ahead of them.  When you are running a business (that's what college football has become), you have to take some chances/calculated risks.  You don't pay $2,000,000 for something that you could spend $800,000 on and still get the same/better results.  That's what Turner Gill is.  He might not have the WOW factor for guys like you, but he will be just as successful, if not more so, than a lot of the WOW guys.

I'll be proven right in regards to Turner Gill very soon.  A very smart AD will take a chance on him soon and will be very happy they did.

COCHISE

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 11, 2008, 03:36:22 pm
A very smart AD will take a chance on him soon and will be very happy they did.
I have no problem with an AD taking a chance on him soon, just not right now, and not at a school such as Auburn.  He went 8-5 this year, his best record as a head coach so far, that may have been a fluke, Buffalo may go 5-8 next year.  All I'm saying is there isn't enough there yet on his resume to warrant a head coaching job at a big time program.  If he backs this season up with another year or two of 9 or 10 win seasons and actually beats the teams like Mizzou and Pitt., then I say give him a chance.  But as of RIGHT NOW, he does not have the credentials that would lead one to believe that he is prepared to step into the SEC, in Saban's backyard at that, where the most important thing to Auburn fans is beating Alabama.  That's all, the pi$$ing match is over.  ;)

donbro

Quote from: TIGERLOATHER on December 11, 2008, 02:50:34 pm
I took my peewee team from 0-5 2006, 1-4 2007, 4-1 this year and the peewee championship.  Does this qualify me for the Auburn job?  Your perspective is not far from this.  No one on here is saying that Gill is not a good coach, but your argument that taking Buffalo to 8-5 and the MAC championship qualifies him to be in the same league as Meyer, Petrino, Saban and Richt is ludicrous.  Maybe he does, but based on his resume, he doesn't - yet.  If he can sustain what he has built then by all means give him a shot, but only 3 years in the MAC - or any conference for that matter - is not enough to hand him a big time job.  Just go ahead and put me in the don't know jack about jack category and I'll put you in the "I can see the future and know all category".
Are you kidding? You have just received the worst post of the year award

hogsndawgs

Quote from: 870 RZR on December 11, 2008, 03:24:14 pm

I don't think you understand how bad Buffalo was before Gill got there.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

That's quite similar to the things others, including Auburn fans, were saying about our situation last year before Petrino was hired. IMO, one of the reasons other fans, especially other SEC fans, like to dump on our "cowardly, no character, scum of the earth coach" (according to THEM) is that it made fools of them that a guy with his cred came here after they said we'd have to settle for the OC from Occidental or Sam Houston State. Auburn has a lot going for it and will hire a good coach. Not a big name, maybe due to Saban Mania, but a good coach.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

hawgsav1

The Auburn job is a really good job, still one of the best in the country.  Tuberville did a great job at Auburn, and deserves credit for what he accomplished.  The cupboard is not bare by any means, you have a good recruiting class coming in, and despite having to recruit against the big boys and possibly playing second fiddle again to the Bammers, an incoming Auburn head coach has all the tools he needs.  The only bad thing about the Auburn job is dealing with wacko boosters and administration.  Tuberville went 13-0 in 2004, and got fired 4 years later.  An incoming head coach is not going to want to deal with these psycho admins and boosters.  Now this shows that either the Auburn administration panics very easily (the failed experiment with Tony Franklin would have been remedied this offseason), or that there are some boosters out there who will sacrifice the program to massage their ego.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Tigerloather

December 12, 2008, 09:40:49 pm #109 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:44:12 pm by TIGERLOATHER
Quote from: donbro on December 11, 2008, 08:43:30 pm
Are you kidding? You have just received the worst post of the year award

Next time try adding a little content to your post, something a little more than "Are you kidding?" and then maybe I will know what you are talking about.  I have no idea if you read any of the responses to this thread or not so I will try to dumb my opinion down for you as best I can, yes I was kidding about winning a peewee championship making me qualified for the AU coaching position (was trying to prove a point), no I was not kidding about being 8-5 in the MAC for one season making someone qualified to be the head coach at Auburn (one season could be, and I'm not saying it is, a fluke), no I was not kidding that having a losing record in the MAC qualifies someone to be the head coach at Auburn (.500 would definitely still be on the iffy side), no I was not kidding about needing to sustain a winning record to qualify (again one winning season could be a fluke), no I was not kidding about Auburn needing a big name (see Arkansas) and no I was not kidding about hoping Gill will prove to be a great coach (think, do not know nor do you, that he will be).  Yes I understand that Buffalo sucked before he got there, all I am saying is that he is a couple of winning seasons away from being a "proven" coach.     
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: hogzndogz on December 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm
Uhm? Wasn't it this time last year we were looking at Kiffin, Kelley, Tubberville, Grobe, Strong, Petrino, Bowden, and Muschamp? PROVEN COACHES.

All of whom turned us down until there was a bad episode of Monday Ngiht Football.

The Hogfather

Chizik to Auburn.  They weren't even smart enough to get a coach with WOW factor.

Not only did they pass on a better candidate, but they got someone with a HORRIBLE track record as a head coach.

Turner Gill would've been 8,000,000X better than Chizik.  As an Arkansas fan, I absolutely LOVE this hire.  Although, I'm pretty sure this means that Alabama will be our toughest competition in the West from here on out.

Absolutely dumb hire.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Christmas came early for the rest if the SEC West. I knew they would have a hard time coming close to Tubs, but this?!!! Chizik has got to be 7th or 8th choice at best...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Hawgin84

I guess it does suck to be Auburn.

songofthesword

there is not a coach in the SEC I would not chose over Chizik

Blue35

razorbrass

I feel like I am in the bizzaro world.  Miss St. makes a solid hire in Mullen and Auburn hires Chizik.  Who'd a thunk that Miss. State comes out of this years coaching searches in the SEC with the best hire.  How lucky are we to have Bobby Patrino?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

East Clintwood

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 08:58:22 pm
there is not a coach in the SEC I would not chose over Chizik

There is one. 
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: Illinihog on December 10, 2008, 07:14:48 pm
Auburn is no different than Arkansas with the Crazy ass boosters who want to run the place.  Hell half our fan base thinks we should win 10 games every year.
Half? I bet its more than that!
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 13, 2008, 06:26:59 pm
Chizik to Auburn.  They weren't even smart enough to get a coach with WOW factor.

Not only did they pass on a better candidate, but they got someone with a HORRIBLE track record as a head coach.

Turner Gill would've been 8,000,000X better than Chizik.  As an Arkansas fan, I absolutely LOVE this hire.  Although, I'm pretty sure this means that Alabama will be our toughest competition in the West from here on out.

Absolutely dumb hire.

It was a WOW factor to me.. like WOW I cant believe they made that stupid azz move.. hahahahaha
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

snoblind

songofthesword

no, as much as I despiste the texter... the man had a winning record in the SEC

this.. guy LOST 10 STRAIGHT GAMES

Nutt has met his match as far as a lazy recruits. they are goin to be tripping over each other to not sign people

nutt is a horrid recruiter but isn't the worst coach out there.
chizik is an even worse recruiter and from all accounts, is a pathetic game day coach. I mean bad.

Porkette

December 13, 2008, 10:42:20 pm #122 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:45:01 pm by Porkette
Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 12, 2008, 09:56:22 pm
All of whom turned us down until there was a bad episode of Monday Ngiht Football.

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. At least from following the situations at the time and hearing later info we've heard from other sources, I think we can say with pretty good certainty that BP wanted the Arkansas job long before that last MNF game; it was just a matter of finding a way to work out the deal.

Lane Kiffin and Will Muschamp also were very interested, but the timing didn't work out because of us getting Petrino when we did.
GO HOGS GO!