Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It SUCKS to be Auburn...

Started by hogzndogz, December 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogzndogz

December 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:11:34 pm by hogzndogz
Look at the coaches Auburn is going after...
Turner from Buffalo
Dooley from LA tech
Garner from GA
Graham from Tulsa
Hoke from Ball St.
------------------
Uhm? Wasn't it this time last year we were looking at Kiffin, Kelley, Tubberville, Grobe, Strong, Petrino, Bowden, and Muschamp? PROVEN COACHES.

Auburn is being TURNED DOWN by assistants... so they are going after decent at best, except maybe for Graham, whose pretty good... but still.. Jeff Long has never looked so good...

(UPDATE): I think Gill would be a good recruiter but your staff who you bring w you is also important... he doesn't have that.

My point is, Arkansas from a national stand point must be a more attractive place to coach then Auburn. Maybe it's Saban, or the two school state deal, but all in all-- Arkansas looked for Coach's who could get players where most of them want to be- the NFL. And Auburn is not...
WooPigs.

go hogues

Maybe Texticle will still end up there.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: go hogues on December 10, 2008, 12:00:52 am
Maybe Texticle will still end up there.
It would mean the end of Auburn.

aaaactionvp

Turner Gill is a VERY good coach.

dr_arkansawyer

We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

RunnerHog

Quote from: hogzndogz on December 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm
Turner from Buffalo
Dooley from LA tech
Garner from GA
Graham from Tulsa
Hoke from Ball St.
------------------
Uhm? Wasn't it this time last year we were looking at Kiffin, Kelley, Tubberville, Grobe, Strong, Petrino, Bowden, and Muschamp? PROVEN COACHES.

Auburn is being TURNED DOWN by assistants... so they are going after decent at best, except maybe for Graham, whose pretty good... but still.. Jeff Long has never looked so good...

All of those guys are better than the coach Ole Miss hired last year.

donbro

Turner Gill to Auburn kinda scares me he can flat out coach he won at Buffalo imagine what he will do with some real talent

Hoggy1

Turner from Buffalo
Dooley from LA tech
Garner from GA
Graham from Tulsa
Hoke from Ball St.
------------------

you obviously don't know much about mid level coaches do you?

And BTW how is Grobe, Kiffin,or Tommy freaking Bowden a PROVEN coach?
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

hawgsav1

I will agree that Auburn doesn't really have a shot at a big name coach, but there are certainly proven coaches out there: Derek Dooley, Turner Gill, etc.  These guys will be forces when they get a chance at a big school.  Problem is, they're going to need a supportive and helpful administration, which I don't think Auburn will give. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

oldhawg

Turner from Buffalo
Dooley from LA tech
Garner from GA
Graham from Tulsa
Hoke from Ball St.
------------------

Yes, and we got a guy whose last college coaching job was at the University of Louisville, of all freaking places.

OTTER

December 10, 2008, 07:29:30 am #10 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:41:57 am by OTTER
Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 10, 2008, 05:55:26 am
I will agree that Auburn doesn't really have a shot at a big name coach, but there are certainly proven coaches out there: Derek Dooley, Turner Gill, etc.  These guys will be forces when they get a chance at a big school.  Problem is, they're going to need a supportive and helpful administration, which I don't think Auburn will give. 
And I believe that is the problem for Auburn.  The reputation for being a sorry arse bunch could keep some of these good young coaches away.  Gill is looking at another school in the N.E., which may keep him from going to Auburn.  In fact, a guy said yesterday on the radio, he felt Gill would wind up at Syracuse.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Brewhahog

NWASooner

Big time coaches usually have big time jobs already.  If you have options, then Auburn isn't an option.  They have crazy boosters with unrealistic expectations and for better or worse, you'll always be #2 in your own state.

Tuberville average 8.5 and 4 while going 7-3 against Bama and got fired.

FWIW, Turner Gill would be a GREAT hire for them.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

COCHISE

Nobody wants to coach in the same state as Saban, recruit against Saban, or have their season determined by whether they win or lose the Iron Bowl against Saban.  As long as Saban is at Alabama, the Auburn job is going to be a coaching graveyard.

OTTER

December 10, 2008, 08:41:00 am #15 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:42:37 am by OTTER
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Pig_Lebowski

Turner from Buffalo
Dooley from LA tech
Garner from GA
Graham from Tulsa
Hoke from Ball St.
------------------

Explain our Basketball Coaching search, if we are the end of the rainbow.

The Boar War

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 10, 2008, 05:55:26 am

The issue in Auburn's case is that they had a big name coach in Tommy Tuberville and they fired him.  Now getting a coach like Dooley, Graham, Garner, or Hoke (while still good coaches) will seem like a let down.  Especially when the last few SEC coaching searches turned up Petrino, Saban, and (to a lesser extent) Kiffin.

OTTER

I look at it like it was me.  If I was a very good young coach or a top assistant, would I want to take the Auburn job knowing I have the likes of Saban, Petrino, Miles, and others in the west to compete for recruits against?  Would I want to walk into a situation where the AD and some rogue boosters, including Lauder, ran off a good head coach?  Would I want to be at the number two team in the state having two SEC schools, knowing that the number one team is loaded and will be very strong in the next few years?  Would I want to enter that situation knowing that the SEC is the strongest league in the country and my recruiting this year is going to be in the pits?  It looks like it is a career ender to me, and even if I have an ego that says "I can do it", I would probably think it over and say, "No thanks."

Brewhahog

I agree with 870.  Auburn may become an SEC W doormat (other than MSU) with Saban coaching and the horrible way they have handled their coaching situation.

If they fire Tubbs and replace him with Graham I would feel sorry for all my Auburn friends, very sorry!!  That would be miserable! 

The Boar War

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on December 10, 2008, 08:53:03 am
Explain our Basketball Coaching search, if we are the end of the rainbow.

The end of Frank Broyles tenure and the fact that we had no idea who would be the next AD

Pig_Lebowski

Quote from: The Boar War on December 10, 2008, 08:56:08 am
The end of Frank Broyles tenure and the fact that we had no idea who would be the next AD

That shouldnt keep the PROVEN Majors from high tailing it to Fayetteville.

Tripod1

Do you guys really think Saban scares off quality coaches?  If he is the King of Kings as most seem to believe then all the SEC needs to just give up and play for second each year.  He does not walk on water.  Yes, he makes the good have to get better but others can go against him and win, it takes hard work though.

phadedhawg

Saban may be good but apparently he's no Urban Meyer LOL

Seriously...Saban is overrated.  He let his team choke way the SEC Championship.  When Alabama fell behind by one score in the 2nd half he abandoned his offense and paniced by throwing bombs down the field.  What resulted was a quick 3 and out and Florida had the ball back with the big mo' on their side.

Give it a couple years and this Saban craze will be over.  Auburn is a crappy job bc of the way the boosters treat the coach...I don't see it having much to do with the current Bama coach.

opineonswine

As a reminder, Jeff Long did not conduct our basketball search.

ConwayHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 10, 2008, 09:38:21 am
Seriously...Saban is overrated.  He let his team choke way the SEC Championship.  When Alabama fell behind by one score in the 2nd half he abandoned his offense and paniced by throwing bombs down the field.

I was unaware of the fact that Saban has begun calling plays on offense.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 10, 2008, 09:46:39 am
I was unaware of the fact that Saban has begun calling plays on offense.

I think he might have some influence on his assistant coaches and coordiantors....

For as much money has he is making Bama fans better hope he does.

Hoggish1

Auburn is wating till after Jan one and probably will wait till after 6th to name a coach.  Gill doesn't finish till then but there will be other main line coaches who they are cnsidering who will be open to them at that point.

Surely they have more sense than to go after textical.

Bryant Disciple

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 10, 2008, 09:38:21 am
Seriously...Saban is overrated.  He let his team choke way the SEC Championship.  When Alabama fell behind by one score in the 2nd half he abandoned his offense and paniced by throwing bombs down the field.  What resulted was a quick 3 and out and Florida had the ball back with the big mo' on their side.

I agree with one aspect of your analysis, in that 'Bama throwing that 4th Q 1st & 10 deep ball was a MAJOR playcalling mistake. They shold've stuck to the running game, for which Florida had no answer.

As far as Saban being overrated? He just took a team with only 9 scholarship seniors, playing 16 TRUE FRESHMEN, to 12-0 and the SEC CG. I sincerely think he's the best football coach I've seen in my adult lifetime. And he's still just getting started at Alabama.

TorsinAHog

I hope Gill doesnt take the job.  He is a heck of a coach.  He is wining at buffalo!
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

major_hog_fan

Just think guys we were almost in the same boat last year.  Then we go PETRINO!!! 

COCHISE

December 10, 2008, 11:16:08 am #31 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:20:58 am by 870 RZR
Quote from: Tripod1 on December 10, 2008, 09:05:14 am
Do you guys really think Saban scares off quality coaches?  If he is the King of Kings as most seem to believe then all the SEC needs to just give up and play for second each year.  He does not walk on water.  Yes, he makes the good have to get better but others can go against him and win, it takes hard work though.
Other SEC coaches can beat Saban, someone mentioned he's obviously no Urban Meyer.  It took Saban exactly 2 years lead his Bama team to a 12-1 record, SECCG, and upcoming BCS game, all this while ranking 3rd in the nation as far as the number of freshmen he plays.  I'm not suggesting that everyone else in the SEC should be playing for second each year, but whoever takes over at Auburn will be coaching the second best team in Alabama and if you're Auburn's coach and you begin to lose to Bama on a consistent basis, you won't last long, no matter how good your overall record is.  Obviously not many coaches are wanting to step into that kind of situation.  To answer your question..yes, I do think that Saban is scaring off quality coaches, not from coaching in the SEC, but from coaching in the state of Alabama.

Pig_Lebowski

Then why would anyone Coach at a PAC 10 school opposite USC?  Or Big 12 against Texas and Oklahoma?

Brewhahog

Bama was #1 in recruiting last year and 5th right now for this year.

Auburn was 20th last year and is 16th this year, but leaking recruits.

I don't like Saban, but to think he isn't a great recruiter, great X & O's Def Coach and a pretty good game day coach is pretty acceptable.

I was just saying, if you were an Auburn fan and your big brother (Bama) just went 12-1 with only 9 seniors and playing the most Freshman in the country, I would be a little worried!! 

Saban craze won't end for a while IMO, he may take Bama to a BCS title in the next 2 years, and the Bama money will keep him and a ton of recruits knocking on the door. 

Did you notice who UCLA had to hire?  Ricky's rap sheet is impressive.

COCHISE

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on December 10, 2008, 11:17:58 am
Then why would anyone Coach at a PAC 10 school opposite USC?  Or Big 12 against Texas and Oklahoma?
I'm not referring to conferences, I'm referring to a another coach coming into a small state like Alabama and going up against Saban every year when that's the biggest game on Auburn's schedule, like I said, a good coach could come in and lead Auburn to a respectable overall record every year, but let that coach lose to Bama 3 or 4 years in a row and see what happens.

GolfnHog

Auburn needs to "Logan Young" both of the boosters that keep that program in turmoil over its coaching mishaps.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

RunnerHog

Quote from: Brewhahog on December 10, 2008, 11:26:09 am
Bama was #1 in recruiting last year and 5th right now for this year.

Auburn was 20th last year and is 16th this year, but leaking recruits.

I don't like Saban, but to think he isn't a great recruiter, great X & O's Def Coach and a pretty good game day coach is pretty acceptable.

I was just saying, if you were an Auburn fan and your big brother (Bama) just went 12-1 with only 9 seniors and playing the most Freshman in the country, I would be a little worried!! 

Saban craze won't end for a while IMO, he may take Bama to a BCS title in the next 2 years, and the Bama money will keep him and a ton of recruits knocking on the door. 

Did you notice who UCLA had to hire?  Ricky's rap sheet is impressive.

Saban a tireless worker,  a grinder, a great recruiter, a great x-0 coach, anda great game day coach. If you remember Bama was picked third in the SEC west to begin the year. He is a mirror of Bobby Petrino. What's not to like other than he coaches Bama?

The Realist

I'm scared of Turner Gill in the SEC
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

COCHISE

December 10, 2008, 11:48:55 am #38 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:51:59 am by 870 RZR
Quote from: The Realist on December 10, 2008, 11:36:58 am
I'm scared of Turner Gill in the SEC
I keep hearing that but I'm not sure why we'd be scared of him coming to the SEC.  He's 15-21 as a head coach in the MAC, granted his teams have improved every year and he beat the mighty Ball St. but I guess I'm just not as sold on him as some on here seem to be.

donewithdale

I doubt Saban stays at Bama 10 seasons.  He's not going to dominate for a generation.  Then Bama could very well hire another Shula.  Auburn just needs to hire the best coach they can regardless of current stature.  But we all know Auburn has little man's syndrome and they won't be patient while Bama succeeds. 

And I'm not sure why we are again taking shots at a coaching search.  We did this with Bama before they hired Saban.  We did it, as well as outsiders to us, before we hired Petrino.  As addressed in another thread, Auburn has a large alumni base, a huge revenue producing stadium and gets the big SEC checks like the rest of us.  They aren't poor.  So why are we so sure that they aren't going to use their resources to hire a good coach and maybe even a 'name' coach?  Its like we are still sometimes naive to the immense resources available to most of the rest of the SEC.  Like our RF, Tyson and WM stockholders are the be all end all.  AU won't make a poor hire because they can't financially compete with Bama.  They may make a bad hire because they have a bad AD and a stupid group of controlling boosters.

And Gill is in the same conference that Kelly and Meyer coached in as well.  His rep has been growing since he was an asst at NU.

k.c.hawg

I suspect that after a very tough December filled with rejections that Auburn will apologize to Tubberville and offer him a raise to come back. Something like, we would like you to keep the $5.1m as a gesture of our sincere apologies for miscalculating who we are in the football world....and we'd like to offer you a new 10 year deal at $3.5m per. Awburn need's you Tommy.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

songofthesword

Quote from: 870 RZR on December 10, 2008, 11:48:55 am
I keep hearing that but I'm not sure why we'd be scared of him coming to the SEC.  He's 15-21 as a head coach in the MAC, granted his teams have improved every year and he beat the mighty Ball St. but I guess I'm just not as sold on him as some on here seem to be.

see.. you don't get it.

there are mid major teams, THEN THERE IS BUFFALO.

the team before him has had like 8 wins in 8 years. they have not been a D1 school for a decade. it would be the equivlant of taking UCA next year and making a BOWL game. you'd be like hey.. that's a pretty damn good coach.

COCHISE

Quote from: donewithdale on December 10, 2008, 11:58:02 am
And Gill is in the same conference that Kelly and Meyer coached in as well.  His rep has been growing since he was an asst at NU.
True, but Meyer also spent two years at Utah after leaving the MAC and went 10-2 the first season followed by a 12-0 record and a Fiesta Bowl win all before coming to Florida.  Gill may be the next big thing,  I just don't see what all the hooplah is about him right now.

COCHISE

Quote from: songofthesword on December 10, 2008, 12:12:33 pm
it would be the equivlant of taking UCA next year and making a BOWL game. you'd be like hey.. that's a pretty damn good coach.
And you'd be alright with naming that coach as head coach at the University of Arkansas?  Like I said, I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but at this point he still unproven.  Three years as a head coach in the MAC with a 15-21 record does not necessarily equate to success at a program such as Auburn.  And yes I get it, Buffalo was a terrible team, now they're a mediocre team, IN THE MAC.

The Hogfather

Quote from: songofthesword on December 10, 2008, 12:12:33 pm
see.. you don't get it.

there are mid major teams, THEN THERE IS BUFFALO.

the team before him has had like 8 wins in 8 years. they have not been a D1 school for a decade. it would be the equivlant of taking UCA next year and making a BOWL game. you'd be like hey.. that's a pretty damn good coach.

Here you go:

Before Gill (they started Division I football again in 1999):

1999---0-11
2000---2-9
2001---3-8
2002---1-11
2003---1-11
2004---2-9
2005---1-10

With Gill:

2006---2-10 (set UB record for most points in a season)
2007---5-7  (5-3 in the MAC)
2008---8-5  (6-3 in the MAC with a MAC Championship)

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: donewithdale on December 10, 2008, 11:58:02 am

They may make a bad hire because they have a stupid group of controlling boosters.

ie: Jim Lindsey.

chiefsfan

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on December 10, 2008, 04:11:30 am
you obviously don't know much about mid level coaches do you?

And BTW how is Grobe, Kiffin,or Tommy freaking Bowden a PROVEN coach?

Id agree with all on that list except Dooley.   he's a complete blowhard who happens to be an average football coach.   Auburn wont get very far with that hire
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Brand X Hog Fan

If Graham goes to Auburn (unlikely, IMO) what happens to Gus? Does he go? Does he take over the program at TU?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Hogjammin

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on December 10, 2008, 01:30:09 pm
If Graham goes to Auburn (unlikely, IMO) what happens to Gus? Does he go? Does he take over the program at TU?

Is Gus considered the #2 coach on that staff?  I never really hear Gus' name come up that often except on Hogville when coaching changes are brought up.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Hogjammin on December 10, 2008, 01:48:30 pm
Is Gus considered the #2 coach on that staff?  I never really hear Gus' name come up that often except on Hogville when coaching changes are brought up.

I believe he is the "assistant head coach and offensive coordinator" officially.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.