Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn's Coaching Search

Started by fu-man-soo, December 09, 2008, 11:06:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

If anyone is following the AU coaching search it will make you appreciate how Jeff Long handled our search last year. Regardless if you are on the '"long got lucky" or "long made a great hire" side he handled it pretty good. He had an approach and a method that he followed.

Finebaum sums up AU's search thus far:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pfinebaum.ssf?/base/sports/1228837510283660.xml&coll=3

"If Jay Jacobs hasn't secured the No. 1 spot among the biggest buffoons in college athletics, it's only because a new poll hasn't been taken since the announcement of Tuberville's firing."

OTTER

Great article, thanks for the post.  The day it was announced I was thinking that they had just begun living a nightmare that will continue on for a long time.  They will regret the firing of TT for years to come.  Jacobs and his pet snake Lauder will be the laughing stock of the NCAA.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Tim Harris

Between Bama hiring Saban 2 years ago, us hitting the jack pot on Petrino, and to a lesser degree TN getting Kiffin their is a new standard for hiring a coach.  The Auburn fans are going to revolt if they don't get a big hire that is a household name.

I know I know Saban and Petrino are worlds ahead of Kiffin but he is a household name that most people know.  He just happens to be known because he had to put up with Al Davis instead of for his coaching knowledge.

OTTER

Quote from: tbharris on December 09, 2008, 12:32:53 pm
Between Bama hiring Saban 2 years ago, us hitting the jack pot on Petrino, and to a lesser degree TN getting Kiffin their is a new standard for hiring a coach.  The Auburn fans are going to revolt if they don't get a big hire that is a household name.

I know I know Saban and Petrino are worlds ahead of Kiffin but he is a household name that most people know.  He just happens to be known because he had to put up with Al Davis instead of for his coaching knowledge.
Has Muschamp turned them down?  I've had a thought in the back of my mind that after the bowl game, he might be announced at Auburn.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

monty hawg

The name mentioned most now is Turner Gill.  However, there is speculation that they will be talking to an "unmentioned" coordinator before making a hire.  Finebaum will be on in 1 hour fifteen minutes and we could do more. 

Several talking heads want Turner, but others feel they need someone that has recruited the Southeast.

DeltaBoy

Turner is a good young Coach but Tigger doen't need a PC hire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tripod1

I cetainly want them to hire a top notch coach if for no other reason than to dilute the pool of recruits so Saban does not get them all. 

Opp-Sooie

Guys, I live in Alabama, and if you want to know about Auburn athletics, then PF is NOT the source you want to turn to.  He makes a living in this state out of dissing Auburn -- sometimes deservedly, most of the time not.

If you truly want to keep up with Auburn's coaching search, then I'd recommend Charles Goldberg at the Birmingham News (http://blog.al.com/goldmine/), Phillip Marshall at Auburn Undercover (http://www.auburnundercover.com/), or Jay Tate at the Montgomery Advertiser (http://jaygtate.blogspot.com/.)

But stay away from Finebaum, unless you just want a good laugh.  But if you're really wanting the inside scoop, then he's nothing more than tabloid journalism.

Tim Harris

Muschamp has said he wasn't interested as has Jimbo Fisher but I think they both could end up there.  The also have or will be interviewing Turner Gill, the Ball State coach, Patrix Nix, and if I'm not mistaken the FL OC.

My Auburn friend told me that they have turned their attention back to Nutt and he is interested. If true, Nutt is really screwing over the OM fanbase after signing the big extension last week.

go hogues

What if Rich Rod was tired of his stint at the Big House, so he goes to Auburn.  That would give Les Miles a way to escape to Michigan and then TT could come in at LSU. 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hoggypooh

Heard Charly Strong on the radio yesterday. He is in LR for the Broyles award. Why is he not being mentioned for a head job?

donewithdale

Quote from: Karma on December 09, 2008, 01:18:15 pm
My Auburn friend told me that they have turned their attention back to Nutt and he is interested. If true, Nutt is really screwing over the OM fanbase after signing the big extension last week.

Here is why I doubt this:

1.  Auburn is a rebuilding project and not one Nutt could win at immediately. 

2.  7-8 wins a year will not cut it at Auburn and keep the fans happy like it is at OM or here for 7-8 years.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 01:26:48 pm
Here is why I doubt this:

1.  Auburn is a rebuilding project and not one Nutt could win at immediately. 

2.  7-8 wins a year will not cut it at Auburn and keep the fans happy like it is at OM or here for 7-8 years.

2. Yes, Nutt will never take a job at a program with expectations.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

I think you are right about Nutt, but never underestimate his ego.

Hawgin84

Quote from: go hogues on December 09, 2008, 01:22:25 pm
What if Rich Rod was tired of his stint at the Big House, so he goes to Auburn.  That would give Les Miles a way to escape to Michigan and then TT could come in at LSU. 

Now that is creativity! It wouldn't be the best scenario for the Hogs, but it would be fun to watch.

Hawgboy64

If Auburn really wanted Houston, all they need to do is hire Donna Bragg as the local anchor and give him a private phone with unlimited texting, and Hootie will be there in a heart beat. Yes, talking about "running through the A", "love for the helmet", "the Wild Eagle formation", and the one I hate most "the special feeling he has about the University".
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Tim Harris

I'm sure after the miraculous job he did at Ole Miss this year he is capable of turning any program around.

/sarcasm off

If its not Jimbo Fisher I think it will be a name we haven't even heard yet.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tbharris on December 09, 2008, 06:55:10 pm
I'm sure after the miraculous job he did at Ole Miss this year he is capable of turning any program around.

/sarcasm off

If its not Jimbo Fisher I think it will be a name we haven't even heard yet.

Why does Fisher's name keep coming up for the AU job?  Does he have a history there?  I mean he takes over as HC at FSU next season.  Why would he want the AU job?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hogansas

Shreveport tv is reporting that Derek Dooley from LA Tech has interviewed.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

hogdiggity

Quote from: hogansas on December 09, 2008, 07:14:57 pm
Shreveport tv is reporting that Derek Dooley from LA Tech has interviewed.

I read earlier that Dooley and a coach from UGA, the OC I think both interviewed

Fisher was the OC at Auburn for quite a while. Plus, who knows how long Bowden will stay at FSU. When you look at facilities and conference, AU far outstrips FSU.

rljjr

Dooley is a nice coach, but I would have to think the Auburn faithful would be furious if he ended up being the guy. Of course at this point I don't know what options they have.

HamHands

Quote from: OTTER on December 09, 2008, 12:40:35 pm
Has Muschamp turned them down?  I've had a thought in the back of my mind that after the bowl game, he might be announced at Auburn.

Still, even Muschamp is unproven. He has desire and youth but no track record. He might be a gamble.
One day at a time.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 09, 2008, 06:32:12 pm

2. Yes, Nutt will never take a job at a program with expectations.

You and I know that Nutt will last longer where there are no expectations, but I don't think Hootie knows that.  He believes he deserves all the adoration he is getting at Ole Miss right now.

You see, Hootie doesn't know he is a Dork!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Bubba's Bruisers

December 09, 2008, 07:37:31 pm #25 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:47:15 pm by Bubba's Bruisers
Quote from: Karma on December 09, 2008, 07:20:03 pm
Fisher was the OC at Auburn for quite a while. Plus, who knows how long Bowden will stay at FSU. When you look at facilities and conference, AU far outstrips FSU.

That makes sense, plus I thought Bowden was retiring after this year.  I guess not.

opineonswine

Maddhog

Quote from: Karma on December 09, 2008, 01:18:15 pm

PF would have him crying within 3 days.   I would be shocked if Nutt took a job like Auburn where there would be expectations, accountability, etc.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Opp-Sooie

From what I'm hearing/reading tonight, a name that is gaining steam as a serious candidate is... Steve Spurrier.  TIFWIW...

Don't let all these names that are being thrown around as interviews fool you.  Auburn's track record says that all of that stuff is smoke, and the serious negotions are taking place out of the puclic eye.  I'm not saying I believe it's Spurrier, but neither do I believe for a second that it's guys like Dooley.

Oklahawg

Aubbie could be in a peck of trouble.

There doesn't appear to be a large list of high-profile names available. Unlike last year, when Rich Rodriquez, Grobe, Bowden, Tuberville, Petrino, Nutt, Pelini, and Neuheisel were all getting looks. Of course, its tough to guage legit interest, or just the rumormill.

A couple of names (I've not seen them mentioned) deserve to be tossed out there for reference.

Todd Graham - Tulsa
Art Briles - Baylor
Kevin Sumlin - Houston
Larry Fedora - Southern Miss
Gary Pinkel - Missouri

I think all are good coaches and will be at bigger programs at some point, with the possible exception of Pinkel, who may opt to own the Big 12 North for a while longer.

I suspect Aubbie fans/admin will be skeptical of any coordinator as a hire. Not sure that is fair or accurate, just a gut feeling. If Tennessee and Miss State can get an established HC (granted, Lane Kiffin isn't exactly "proven") and Ole Miss gets Nutt, and Arkansas gets Petrino, then they will think Aubbie can do the same.

If you think the Arkansas fanbase was in an uproar when the search lasted longer than 72 hours, and names as unappealing as Reggie Herring and Tommy Bowden were seriously tossed about...you should be thankful you don't live in a neighborhood filled with Aubbie fans.

Aubbie won't have the luxury of giving a coach 3-4 years to turn things around, ala Petrino at Arkansas. The presence of Saban torques up the heat too high. Aubbie doesn't have as bare a cupboard as Petrino inherited but the skillset is pretty solidly aligned towards smashmouth offense and defense.

Look for a new HC to bring in a different offensive system. Arkansas had some fortune in this regard:  Gus' recruits plus the Nutt holdovers weren't as bad a fit as what we saw when TT tried to switch offenses this year. They won't be any better next year.

Houston Nutt's system fits Aubbie better than just about anyone on the radar. He doesn't recruit well enough to stand toe-to-toe with Saban in-state, but his ego doesn't know that.

One coordinator to take seriously: Kevin Wilson of OU, the OC. It'll take 2 recruiting classes to get the offensive players needed, but he is a serious mastermind. He'll have a shot at HC position very soon.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: mhl6493 on December 09, 2008, 07:47:08 pm
From what I'm hearing/reading tonight, a name that is gaining steam as a serious candidate is... Steve Spurrier.  TIFWIW...

Don't let all these names that are being thrown around as interviews fool you.  Auburn's track record says that all of that stuff is smoke, and the serious negotions are taking place out of the puclic eye.  I'm not saying I believe it's Spurrier, but neither do I believe for a second that it's guys like Dooley.

I don't know why anybody would bother with Spurrier at this juncture.  He's going to be out of coaching within 5 years.  He's a short-timer, and his time has passed.

Aubbie picked a bad time to fire Tubbs.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 09, 2008, 07:49:59 pm
Aubbie could be in a peck of trouble.

There doesn't appear to be a large list of high-profile names available. Unlike last year, when Rich Rodriquez, Grobe, Bowden, Tuberville, Petrino, Nutt, Pelini, and Neuheisel were all getting looks. Of course, its tough to guage legit interest, or just the rumormill.

A couple of names (I've not seen them mentioned) deserve to be tossed out there for reference.

Todd Graham - Tulsa
Art Briles - Baylor
Kevin Sumlin - Houston
Larry Fedora - Southern Miss
Gary Pinkel - Missouri

I think all are good coaches and will be at bigger programs at some point, with the possible exception of Pinkel, who may opt to own the Big 12 North for a while longer.

I suspect Aubbie fans/admin will be skeptical of any coordinator as a hire. Not sure that is fair or accurate, just a gut feeling. If Tennessee and Miss State can get an established HC (granted, Lane Kiffin isn't exactly "proven") and Ole Miss gets Nutt, and Arkansas gets Petrino, then they will think Aubbie can do the same.

If you think the Arkansas fanbase was in an uproar when the search lasted longer than 72 hours, and names as unappealing as Reggie Herring and Tommy Bowden were seriously tossed about...you should be thankful you don't live in a neighborhood filled with Aubbie fans.

Aubbie won't have the luxury of giving a coach 3-4 years to turn things around, ala Petrino at Arkansas. The presence of Saban torques up the heat too high. Aubbie doesn't have as bare a cupboard as Petrino inherited but the skillset is pretty solidly aligned towards smashmouth offense and defense.

Look for a new HC to bring in a different offensive system. Arkansas had some fortune in this regard:  Gus' recruits plus the Nutt holdovers weren't as bad a fit as what we saw when TT tried to switch offenses this year. They won't be any better next year.

Houston Nutt's system fits Aubbie better than just about anyone on the radar. He doesn't recruit well enough to stand toe-to-toe with Saban in-state, but his ego doesn't know that.

One coordinator to take seriously: Kevin Wilson of OU, the OC. It'll take 2 recruiting classes to get the offensive players needed, but he is a serious mastermind. He'll have a shot at HC position very soon.

I still don't know what the big deal is with Graham.  His name always gets mentioned on this board for HC vacancies, but I never hear about him anywhere else.  He's been at Rice and Tulsa.  What does his resume look like?

Tim Harris

December 09, 2008, 07:56:08 pm #32 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:58:06 pm by tbharris
The knock on Fisher is his buyout.  The way the contract is that he signed after 2007 was that if he took another job with 3 years it would cost 2.5 mil to get him out of his contract.  After WVU flirted with him he got a new contract that the buyout is 5 mil.  If the Bowden didn't retire in 3 years then Fisher gets 2.5 mil and is free to go to another job.  I think he would already have the job but Auburn would have then spent over 10 mil to get rid of TT and get Fisher which is a gamble since he hasn't be a HC.

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 09, 2008, 07:49:59 pm

When reading some of the Auburn boards to try and find out who they are looking at it was mentioned that Kevin Wilson is being seriously considered for the MSU job.

LakeHogFan

I talked to someone with close ties to the Auburn situation and Sunday Auburn met Patrick Nix in Atlanta to interview for the opening and he felt very good about the interview but Auburn has said to canadates that it would be a couple of weeks before they make a decission. The key factor they are wanting more so than an established coach is a excellent recruiter with ties in recruiting the southeast to help offset the Saban effect

webbgem

Chris Lowe, the SEC ESPN blogger said to keep Derek Dooley in mind when it comes to Auburn.
Matthew 6:34

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LakeHogFan on December 09, 2008, 08:03:25 pm
I talked to someone with close ties to the Auburn situation and Sunday Auburn met Patrick Nix in Atlanta to interview for the opening and he felt very good about the interview but Auburn has said to canadates that it would be a couple of weeks before they make a decission. The key factor they are wanting more so than an established coach is a excellent recruiter with ties in recruiting the southeast to help offset the Saban effect

I've got to believe Nix is simply a smoke screen.  Also, there is no "offset" to the Saban effect short of hiring Meyer, Stoops, Petrino or Carroll, and we all know that won't happan.  Auburn is just beginning a nightmare, and they won't be waking up for quite a while.

Tim Harris

The list of folks who have officially interviewed are:

Turner Gill - HC at Buffalo
Derek Dooley - HC at Lousiana Tech
Brady Hoke - HC at Ball State
Rodney Garner - Georgia Assistant
Patrick Nix - OC at Miami

This isn't to say they haven't talked to several others to gauge their interest behind closed doors.  With all the buyouts in peoples contract these days you can't come right out and say who you are talking to.  I believe one of two scenarios are in play here.

1.  They had someone picked out and the deal/buyout fell through and they are now scrambling

or

2.  They have someone and are working out details for the contract and buyouts before releasing the information.

Auburn may not be the best job in the SEC but it should still get interest from bigger names than what they are releasing.

LakeHogFan

Not at all saying Nix will get the job but dont count him out his dad is a great high school coach at Northside Warner Robbins in Goergia and has grat relationships with the coaches in that state and would probally get some kind Football operations job to help recruiting also Nix was a very good recruiter at GT and Miami I have not been impressed with his offenses anywhere but with his Auburn ties dont count him out he has several Auburn alums coaching in the SEC that would join his staff and help with the recruiting base in the southeast

prattville pig

According to Auburn Undercover, the short list is:

Houston Nutt
Turner Gill
Jimbo Fisher
the coach at Georgia Tech
Life's too short to last long.

hogdiggity

The Aubie faithful are in full panic on their message boards, they have no idea who is going to be the next HC, or why it is taking so long.  The are irate that MSU may have hired a better coach than what they will get

Tim Harris

I will have to say though, the people on their boards have a huge man crush for Turner Gill for whatever reason.  It rivals or even surpasses the man crush that people here showed Petrino last year.  It is rather impressive or frightening depending on how you look at it.

hogdiggity

Quote from: tbharris on December 09, 2008, 08:33:00 pm
I will have to say though, the people on their boards have a huge man crush for Turner Gill for whatever reason.  It rivals or even surpasses the man crush that people here showed Petrino last year.  It is rather impressive or frightening depending on how you look at it.

Turner Gill may prove to be an excellent coach with a long career, but I think it is way too early to annoint him the savior of a program.  He reminds me of Stan Heath, he had one good year and a major univ. is ready to jump on the band wagon, possibly for as much the political correctness as the coaching prowess

Tim Harris

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 09, 2008, 08:36:55 pm
Turner Gill may prove to be an excellent coach with a long career, but I think it is way too early to annoint him the savior of a program.  He reminds me of Stan Heath, he had one good year and a major univ. is ready to jump on the band wagon, possibly for as much the political correctness as the coaching prowess

I totally agree....long run he may very well be a great HC somewhere but one decent season doesn't justify they hire.  Auburn isn't going to allow someone much time to to rebuild.  TT was 85-40 in his 10 seasons there and they let him go.

HoopS

Hogdigity, your post reads like MSU has already hired someone.  Did I miss something? 

JoePaul03

Quote from: webbgem on December 09, 2008, 08:05:36 pm
Chris Lowe, the SEC ESPN blogger said to keep Derek Dooley in mind when it comes to Auburn.

He seems to always be on top of SEC stuff, so that seems plausible
WCOB, 2003

hogdiggity

Quote from: HoopS on December 09, 2008, 08:49:04 pm
Hogdigity, your post reads like MSU has already hired someone.  Did I miss something? 

just rumor at the moment but MSU folks are saying they have hired Wilson from OU

JoePaul03

Quote from: prattville pig on December 09, 2008, 08:28:24 pm

Houston Nutt
Turner Gill
Jimbo Fisher

Would it make Ole Miss hate them even more if Aubie stole another coach from them? How odd would it be to have two guys born and raised in AR go from Ole Miss to Auburn in the span of ten or so years?
WCOB, 2003

HoopS

Ah.  Thanks.   Wilson will make someone a good HC. 

hog_fan

Quote from: prattville pig on December 09, 2008, 08:28:24 pm

Houston Nutt
Turner Gill
Jimbo Fisher

Seriously doubt Fisher. He has like a 2 million dollar buyout. Don't see Paul Johnson bailing after one season.

That leaves the dork and Gill. Gill is the likely option unless they really throw the money at the dork.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 09, 2008, 07:53:44 pm
I still don't know what the big deal is with Graham.  His name always gets mentioned on this board for HC vacancies, but I never hear about him anywhere else.  He's been at Rice and Tulsa.  What does his resume look like?

He turned Rice around, getting them bowl eligible (I believe).

Tulsa is a very disciplined program. Everything about the program is run very well, and decisions are well thought out.

He is closer to deserving a BCS HC position than his OC, Gus Malzahn (whom I like...both will have a BCS gig within 5 years, I think).

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra