Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Im betting Muschamp to Auburn

Started by Music City Hog, December 03, 2008, 04:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

I'd almost guarantee Muschamp to Auburn will happen.  Forget that hype about Muschamp head coach in waiting at Texas.  He isnt gonna stay as coordinator at Texas for 900k for the next 3-4 years waiting for Mack to retire, when he can go back to Auburn for 2 mill per year right now.

I have no inside info, but you can pretty much book it.

Tortfeasor

Speculation is that it will be Will Muschamp.  Would he really leave TX for Auburn after being named "head coach in waiting?"

TomasPistola

Muschamp is taking over for Mack when he retires. I'd rather coach at Texass than Auburn. I bet he stays.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Lard

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 03, 2008, 04:44:47 pm
Muschamp is taking over for Mack when he retires. I'd rather coach at Texass than Auburn. I bet he stays.
How dare you?
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

The Boar War

Quote from: Tortfeasor on December 03, 2008, 04:43:54 pm
Speculation is that it will be Will Muschamp.  Would he really leave TX for Auburn after being named "head coach in waiting?"

Yes. Who knows when Mack Brown will retire?  This is the best (as in most realistic) name I've heard as far as Auburn coaching candidates go. 

hog_fan

Rumor is Texas wouldn't let them talk to him.

GuvHog

Quote from: Tortfeasor on December 03, 2008, 04:43:54 pm

Don't see that happening. Texas will make it more than worth his while to stay.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

arklahoman36

The only reason I could see Muschamp wouldn't stay in Texas, is if they haven't given him a definitive timeline for Mack's departure — which I understand is likely connected to when Dodd leaves as AD and Mack is elevated to that position.

passinghog

Mack Brown is not an old guy. Can anyone show us any hint of Mack Brown retiring anytime soon? Muschamp is a major player for the Auburn job. Head coach in waiting means nothing if the current head coach is in the prime of his career.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Lard on December 03, 2008, 04:46:16 pm
How dare you?

How dare I? I hate Texas. But you have one of the most fertile recruiting beds in the country and you are the flagship university. It's a no brainer.
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Super Hog

I'd be really surprised if someone (Mike Leach) hasn't already agreed in principle to take the job. No way you run off Tuberville first and then begin an exhaustive search.

Auburn's a great job, but it might deter some otherwise good candidates who just don't want to be in Nick Saban's shadow for 365 days a year.

hogsanity

More likely they make a run at Butch than Muschamp.  No way he blows off Texas less than 3 weeks after the "hc in waiting thing". 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tortfeasor

Quote from: The Boar War on December 03, 2008, 04:46:44 pm
Yes. Who knows when Mack Brown will retire?  This is the best (as in most realistic) name I've heard as far as Auburn coaching candidates go. 

I agree.  They say it is known that the AD wanted Muschamp and that something had to be in place for them to fire TT at this time.  It might not be Muschamp, but they seem to think something is in the works. 

Al Del Greco will be on the radio here in Nashvegas shortly.  He hosts a radio show in B'ham and as a former AU player, has a lot of contacts down there.  He should know what is going on.

san1981

Just a shot in a dark...but what about Jack Del Rio? I believe he is done in Jacksonville and believe he would make a great college HC. His name comes up all the time when LSU is open

Biggus Piggus

Mack Brown is 57, which by Paterno-Bowden standards means he's young.  How long does Muschamp want to wait?  Three years?  Five?  Eight?  They had nothing else they could throw him to keep him as d-coordinator.  Do you really believe Muschamp is a lock?  They start four seniors on the defensive line.  What if Texas's defense sucks next year?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Super Hog on December 03, 2008, 04:49:56 pm
I'd be really surprised if someone (Mike Leach) hasn't already agreed in principle to take the job. No way you run off Tuberville first and then begin an exhaustive search.

People said that about Arkansas last year.
[CENSORED]!

Hawgon

I don't know, let's see.  If he stays at Texas he makes nearly one million dollars a year while coaching defense for a perennial Top 10 team.  He is guaranteed to take over said perennial Top 10 team with a built in recruiting base second to none.  At Texas a trained monkey (not named John Mackovich) could win 9 or 10 games.  And, oh yeah, when he does take over he will probably make about 5 million a year.  And finally, I don't even think he is 40 yet so he can wait awhile.

Or, he can take over a rebuilding job at Auburn in a state where he will be judged against a school coached by the best recruiter in college football, a league where opposing schools will slit your throat and drink your blood, where the fans will eat your family, and where success is difficult to attain.

No contest.  He stays at Texas and takes over in 5 years or less.

MJ4H

I'm hearing Mike Leach has been contacted and has expressed interest.

GuvHog

Quote from: passinghog on December 03, 2008, 04:48:20 pm
Mack Brown is not an old guy. Can anyone show us any hint of Mack Brown retiring anytime soon? Muschamp is a major player for the Auburn job. Head coach in waiting means nothing if the current head coach is in the prime of his career.

Mack Brown is not the one who may retire. Dodds, the AD may soon retire and when that happens
Mack will become AD and Muschamp the HC. That's the senario.

I don't see Muschamp leaving Texas.

3kgthog

Like I said a few weeks ago, why in the heck would Muschamp sit around at Texas and wait for Mack Brown to retire however many years from now? If an SEC school (except MSU) comes calling then he'd be a complete idiot not to take it now. He could be waiting on Mack Brown for 10 or 15 years. Who knows.

Hawgon

He will stay at Texas.  His salary of nearly one million per year makes that easier to do. 

Texas > Auburn

want2be

Quote from: Hawgon on December 03, 2008, 04:59:12 pm
I don't know, let's see.  If he stays at Texas he makes nearly one million dollars a year while coaching defense for a perennial Top 10 team.  He is guaranteed to take over said perennial Top 10 team with a built in recruiting base second to none.  At Texas a trained monkey (not named John Mackovich) could win 9 or 10 games.  And, oh yeah, when he does take over he will probably make about 5 million a year.  And finally, I don't even think he is 40 yet so he can wait awhile.

Or, he can take over a rebuilding job at Auburn in a state where he will be judged against a school coached by the best recruiter in college football, a league where opposing schools will slit your throat and drink your blood, where the fans will eat your family, and where success is difficult to attain.

Bingo......only to add,this may open discussion for a firm retirement for Brown........If I was Muschamp, I would give him 3 yrs.

GuvHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 03, 2008, 05:01:53 pm
Like I said a few weeks ago, why in the heck would Muschamp sit around at Texas and wait for Mack Brown to retire however many years from now? If an SEC school (except MSU) comes calling then he'd be a complete idiot not to take it now. He could be waiting on Mack Brown for 10 or 15 years. Who knows.

I refer you to my previous post (Reply #10). It applies to your post as well.

passinghog

Coach in waiting means nothing unless it is tied into his contract that he WILL be the next head coach. Right now, Muschamp has only been named. They would have to restructue his contract and likely give him a raise to keep him there for an extended period of time waiting for Mack to move on. They haven't given him a raise.

Auburn can give him a substantial raise NOW. No matter what Texas says, they dont have that kind of leverage right nor will they ever with Mack Brown as head coach.

SRFL

Don't understimate Sexton's ability to negotiate deals with Auburn.  Just sayin'.

Hawgon

QuoteThey would have to restructue his contract and likely give him a raise to keep him there for an extended period of time waiting for Mack to move on. They haven't given him a raise.

They raised his salary to over $900,000 per year.

Hoggish1

"Coach in waiting at Texass."  LMAO (Reminds me of the phrase
"National Championship under construction..., or whatever that dumbass called what he was doing here.)

passinghog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 03, 2008, 05:10:45 pm
They raised his salary to over $900,000 per year.

Read the rest of my post. Auburn would be able to give him a SUBSTANTIAL raise. Double his salary, at least. Texas doesnt have the ability to do that, not as lond as Mack is head coach. Texas doesnt have any leverage in this situation.

NWASooner

Muschamp would be a moron if he took that. 

He's making $1 million per year now and he's going to get the #1 job in all of college football within 5 years.  He's talked about how much him and his wife love Austin.

If Auburn fired Tuberville thinking they'd have Muschamp, they have another thing coming.

Yes, Texas is worth waiting for.

GuvHog

Quote from: passinghog on December 03, 2008, 05:08:37 pm
Coach in waiting means nothing unless it is tied into his contract that he WILL be the next head coach. Right now, Muschamp has only been named. They would have to restructue his contract and likely give him a raise to keep him there for an extended period of time waiting for Mack to move on. They haven't given him a raise.

Auburn can give him a substantial raise NOW. No matter what Texas says, they dont have that kind of leverage right nor will they ever with Mack Brown as head coach.

If I were a betting man (I'M not) I would make a very large wager that a new contract
with a raise and the Future HC job included is allready prepared and waiting for Muschamps
signature. The University of Texas is too smart to leave loose ends like that.

yraciv

2 million @ Auburn is > 1 million @ Texas
Auburn HC > Texas DC
Add on the fact he could be the Texas DC for who knows how much longer seems like a no brainer to me.  If someone was going to raise a DC up to like 1.5 million it would be Texas though.

Hawgon

Quote from: passinghog on December 03, 2008, 05:15:50 pm
Read the rest of my post. Auburn would be able to give him a SUBSTANTIAL raise. Double his salary, at least. Texas doesnt have the ability to do that, not as lond as Mack is head coach. Texas doesnt have any leverage in this situation.

Texas has plenty of leverage.  He gets to coach Texas in a few years if he stays at Texas.

Do you really think Muschamp had no idea that TT might get fired or leave on his own after this year?  Do you really think that knowing that TT might be gone, he went ahead and signed the new deal with Texas while intending to take the job at Auburn if offered?

Here is what happened.  Auburn already contacted Muschamp.  Texas got wind and locked him down with this new contract.  Muschamp dictated the terms and got exactly what he wanted because all parties knew that if he didn't, he would likely be gone to Auburn at the end of the year.

Table Rocker

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 03, 2008, 04:56:23 pm
Mack Brown is 57, which by Paterno-Bowden standards means he's young.  How long does Muschamp want to wait?  Three years?  Five?  Eight?  They had nothing else they could throw him to keep him as d-coordinator.  Do you really believe Muschamp is a lock?  They start four seniors on the defensive line.  What if Texas's defense sucks next year?

In that case they will call him the coach that used to be in waiting. No way Muschamp hangs around till Mack is finished, but it's a cute title.

passinghog

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 03, 2008, 05:17:09 pm

If I were a betting man (I'M not) I would make a very large wager that a new contract
with a raise and the Future HC job included is allready prepared and waiting for Muschamps
signature. The University of Texas is too smart to leave loose ends like that.

I've heard that is not the case. I've heard Joker Phillips at Kentucky is the only head coach in waiting that actually has that tied into his contract.

GuvHog

Quote from: passinghog on December 03, 2008, 05:08:37 pm

How many times does it have to be said?? Mack Brown is not considering retiring, It's the AD
Dodds who may retrire in the next couple of years. When that happens Mack will move to AD and Muschamp to HC!!!

The Hog

As soon as Fulmer was canned at Tennessee and Muschamp was a possible candidate, Texas made their deal.  Do they go back and make another deal to keep him from Auburn.  Say 1.2 - 1.5 million?
Automatic RUN!

passinghog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 03, 2008, 05:19:16 pm
Texas has plenty of leverage.  He gets to coach Texas in a few years if he stays at Texas.

Do you really think Muschamp had no idea that TT might get fired or leave on his own after this year?  Do you really think that knowing that TT might be gone, he went ahead and signed the new deal with Texas while intending to take the job at Auburn if offered?

Here is what happened.  Auburn already contacted Muschamp.  Texas got wind and locked him down with this new contract.  Muschamp dictated the terms and got exactly what he wanted because all parties knew that if he didn't, he would likely be gone to Auburn at the end of the year.

How does Texas have leverage? Muschamp can say "I've got Auburn looking at me, I'm going to listen to their offer." What can Texas say? We'll let you have the job now? We'll give you a raise? They wont raise it to anything close to what Auburn will offer him.
Auburn can offer him a job now, with Texas-like money.

I'm thinking he went to Texas to make himself a more high profile candidate for a head coach job. He got tired of waiting at Auburn. We didnt hire him last year, so he probably figured the DC at Texas has a better chance at getting a high profile job than the DC at Auburn.

TomasPistola

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 03, 2008, 05:24:31 pm

How many times does it have to be said?? Mack Brown is not considering retiring, It's the AD
Dodds who may retrire in the next couple of years. When that happens Mack will move to AD and Muschamp to HC!!!

I get it, you get it...some people are kinda thick headed.
You were right.
You did a great job.

clew

It's certainly not a given that he will stay in Austin, but having lived there 9 years I would guess that from a quality of life standpoint Muschamp's got it pretty good.  He can afford a nice house on the lake and have all the amenities available in a world-class city.  Is he married?  I just moved to Bartlesville from Austin and let's just say the wife is less than impressed.
Pure as the dawn

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawgon on December 03, 2008, 04:59:12 pm

Yes sir, but you didn't give Saban enough credit.  Not only is he the best recruiter in college, he's also the best coach...IMHO.  AU's redheaded stepchild syndrome is about to rise to meteoric levels in the next few years. 

AU may be a good job for some, like Leach or an up and comer, but not Muschamp.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: PhotHOGrapher on December 03, 2008, 05:27:30 pm
It's certainly not a given that he will stay in Austin, but having lived there 9 years I would guess that from a quality of life standpoint Muschamp's got it pretty good.  He can afford a nice house on the lake and have all the amenities available in a world-class city.  Is he married?  I just moved to Bartlesville from Austin and let's just say the wife is less than impressed.

Austin is like Paris compared to Auburn, AL.  AU is awful.  and yes, i have visited there several times.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: NWASooner on December 03, 2008, 05:16:59 pm
Muschamp would be a moron if he took that. 

He's making $1 million per year now and he's going to get the #1 job in all of college football within 5 years.  He's talked about how much him and his wife love Austin.

If Auburn fired Tuberville thinking they'd have Muschamp, they have another thing coming.

Yes, Texas is worth waiting for.
BS.  If Auburn offers you a 5 year 12 million dollar deal you take the money to the bank.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hog.goblin

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 03, 2008, 05:24:31 pm

Why would a relatively young coach take a huge salary demotion to become AD?  That makes no sense.

Coaches coach.  They don't look forward to getting 1/3 the salary to be AD until the end is near.  The end isn't near for Brown unless he is simply tired of coaching.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Tim Harris

I don't think Muschamp will leave so soon after being named coach in waiting.  Had he already been waiting a couple years like Jimbo Fischer in FSU then I could see it as likely.

Tim Harris

Quote from: gguillo on December 03, 2008, 05:29:21 pm
Jimbo Fisher could be next

If any of the "HC in waiting" are moving this would be my guess.

IZAHOG

Don't hate me................................BP

demonHOG1013

i would put money on mike leach if he wants the job, muschamp is staying at texas.