Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corey Gaines--DT

Started by ml2200, October 30, 2008, 10:49:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Hawgins

i think when you're 13th in the nation, there's not much difference from being top 5 and, a lot of times, it wouldn't be a stretch to see a team in the 10-20 range be top 5 in actual production from the class.  the rankings sound good but it still comes down to the coach putting the athletes in position to make a play and we have one of the best coaches at doing that.  ;)
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

1longshot

Quote from: Darren McChadden on October 30, 2008, 11:14:28 pm
Why does everyone continue to ignore the fact Crowell went to Golby?

Another thing people fail to recognize...we may be 13th per Rivals, but that still equals 4th in the SEC West behind LSU, Bama, & Auburn.

EDIT:  I see now where we pulled Crowell from Hargrave, a year removed from Golby.

Tell me this though, with the impending shakeup in the sec coaching carousel do you not like the direction.  After all there are rumors on Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi st., and that's just the west.  Further when was the last time that Arkansas was recruiting head and shoulders over Tennessee, and we're not finished yet.

sauce

Quote from: 1longshot on October 31, 2008, 09:30:31 am
Tell me this though, with the impending shakeup in the sec coaching carousel do you not like the direction.  After all there are rumors on Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi st., and that's just the west.  Further when was the last time that Arkansas was recruiting head and shoulders over Tennessee, and we're not finished yet.

Sorry longshot.  Tennessee is in the east and we are not "head and shoulders" ahead of them in recruiting.  They are 6 spots above us.  Either way this class looks nice, but don't look for us to finish any higher than 15th nationaly and 6 in the SEC.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sauce on October 31, 2008, 09:39:39 am

Sorry longshot.  Tennessee is in the east and we are not "head and shoulders" ahead of them in recruiting.  They are 6 spots above us.  Either way this class looks nice, but don't look for us to finish any higher than 15th nationaly and 6 in the SEC.

You might be right, but I think the overall theme here is that we are making drastic improvements in recruiting.  It's a good start.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

wholehog92

I think the better point is that our history has been when the talent level drops off in state, our recruiting ranking rises (gets numerically higher) precipitously.  The inverse is true this year.  Our talent level has fallen, but our ranking has dropped to a level we haven't seen since the early 80s if they kept track of such then.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

oldfart

would be interesting to see the actual numerical difference between teams in the top 10-20 rankings. may only be the difference of one or two 3 *'s vs 4 *'s.  like a guy who came in fifth in the 100 meters at the olympics but was only a half stride back....

Porkette

Quote from: Darren McChadden on October 31, 2008, 12:43:04 am
Look dude, bro, bra...whatever - my point is, things need to be kept in the proper perspective.  I'm very happy with this class, especially when you consider the way things have played out on the field.  As I clearly stated before, we are still 4th in the west per rivals.  But I will agree, this is turning into a great class, I just don't expect it to pay immediate dividends.  Look at South Carolina, in 2007 they had  rival's 6th ranked class, how has their season played out two years later?

Well, all we can hope for right now is improvement, and we are sure seeing that in a big way. Since we had our facilities greatly improved, we've always heard our recruiting base was the one thing holding us back as a program. So if Petrino turns out to be a big-time recruitor in addition to everything else we  believe we have going for us, it's exciting.

You do have to wonder about the Spurrior situation; I don't know how anyone could deny his abilities as a coach, but he's done nothing there that Holtz didn't do. SC fans must feel like they're cursed by now. I still think there's a huge difference between his situation and CBP's though. Spurrior went to SC to enjoy a few more years of coaching before retirement; he openly talked about wanting good golfing near him when he took the job! His legacy was already made at Florida. BP, on the other hand, is younger but old enough that he really has to be burning to win a national championship in his career.
GO HOGS GO!

sauce

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 31, 2008, 10:41:25 am
You might be right, but I think the overall theme here is that we are making drastic improvements in recruiting.  It's a good start.

Its a great start considering our record and the subpar instate crop.  The most exciting/intresting part is the 2 lowest ranked positions are QB and WR.  Intresting because these positions should be a strong point for BP in recruiting.  I believe the WR's from last year and certianly Mallet are keeping us low in those areas.  Exciting because we have a high ranked class adrressing positions of need like DL, DB, LB, RB and OL.  I look for top WR's and QB's in future classes.  This along with better instate classes and a better record could push us in the top 10 for 2010.  My biggest concern with BP was recruiting.  With this years class and all the early offers for next year I am no longer worried.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Darren McChadden on October 31, 2008, 12:50:41 am
I agree about this staff, but we are not Ole Miss...nor was a comparison to their recruiting my point.  All I'm saying, we have a LOT of ground to make up.  It's surprising/frustrating to me that 13th nationally still equals 5th to 6th in the SEC.  Oh well.
Not to argue with you but there is a big difference in being 4th in the west right behind those 3 than to be 4th in the west way behind those three. If we can maintain this level of recruiting we can compete for sec titles year in and year out. If your class is continually in the upper 20's and low 30's you are hoping you can compte.

porkpistol

Another thing people fail to recognize...we may be 13th per Rivals, but that still equals 4th in the SEC West behind LSU, Bama, & Auburn.
EDIT:  I see now where we pulled Crowell from Hargrave, a year removed from Golby.

First full year of recruiting for this staff....I'll take 4th behind those guys.  8)

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: sauce on October 31, 2008, 12:29:38 pm
Its a great start considering our record and the subpar instate crop.  The most exciting/intresting part is the 2 lowest ranked positions are QB and WR.  Intresting because these positions should be a strong point for BP in recruiting.  I believe the WR's from last year and certianly Mallet are keeping us low in those areas.  Exciting because we have a high ranked class adrressing positions of need like DL, DB, LB, RB and OL.  I look for top WR's and QB's in future classes.  This along with better instate classes and a better record could push us in the top 10 for 2010.  My biggest concern with BP was recruiting.  With this years class and all the early offers for next year I am no longer worried.

I have to think that Secord is better than advertised at QB.  There's a reason he got an offer SO early.
The WR class is interesting.  No Julio Jones in the class, but Johnson is FAST, and Barlow is a big target, and some of the recruits can be big time.  It'll be interesting.
It is interesting to me, though, that most of our big time recruits are at positions we worried about BP recruiting.  Exciting too!
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Tusks

well i'd rather be 13th in the country and 5th in the SEC with all but 5 players coming from out of state vs. 32nd in the country and 9th in the SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: nutted on October 31, 2008, 06:15:13 pm
well i'd rather be 13th in the country and 5th in the SEC with all but 5 players coming from out of state vs. 32nd in the country and 9th in the SEC.
Good point!

Hog Fan from Camden

Fatmanhog

13th is a damn good recruiting class for this state. cant wait to see how good it is when we have our choice of recruits to pick from instead of haveing to take them. being 13th and 4th  is not much difference imo talent wise, it just means they have 1 or 2 5 stars more than us. we will get there. WPS!!!!!!!!
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

1longshot

Quote from: sauce on October 31, 2008, 09:39:39 am

my bad i was having multiple conversations at the time and the though i'm not sure of the sight i'm sure that i was looking at tennessee only having three committs they obviously have a better class pre-coachless state i stand corrected but what will they retain now

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: LAHOGG on October 30, 2008, 11:27:31 pm
Look dude!  Why don't you get it?  13th is alot closer to those other teams then 25th which is about the best nutt class we had.  Yes we are middle of the pack sec at this time.  But thats still three spots better in the sec then the last coach was able to do. With a DOWN YEAR IN STATE. 

But put things in perspective.  We should be 6-3 right now but our youth lost two games we should have won.  And this is with the leftovers BP has to work with.  The difference is the coaching ability.  Imagine what it will be like with better talent and more experience over the next three years.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on November 04, 2008, 07:59:20 am
But put things in perspective.  We should be 6-3 right now but our youth lost two games we should have won. 

Maybe, but it could also be argued that we should have lost the first 2 games too.  It goes both ways.  Regardless, I'm convinced BP is the reason we've been as successful as we have this season...4-5 record not withstanding.  It would be worse with nuttbag, and we'd be ranked somewhere around 40th in recruiting.  BP is a stud.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: As I stated earlier in this thread, BP WILL go out West and seek talent.
     A big time prospect is now going to pay us a visit from out West, and it is because of the tirelsee efforts of this staff. As was previously stated, if you do nbot buy a lottery ticket, you do not have a chance to win.
     This staff will scour the ENTIRE COUNTRY for top athletes to fill the program's needs. NOT just the SEC region.
     For all of the naysayers that believe we cannot go out there and get the best of the best while going up against the best teams in the country, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!!!
     Go!Hogs!Go!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorback56 on October 30, 2008, 01:34:19 pm
the ripple is about to be felt nationwide.  i think we are going to make a serious run at the west next year.

we'll have a very talented QB, and experienced oline, all our RB's back, all receivers back, almost the whole defense back.

Not almost, the ENTIRE starting first team Defense will return next year. The Hogs also return 8 starters on offense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 05, 2008, 08:10:00 pm

Not almost, the ENTIRE starting first team Defense will return next year. The Hogs also return 8 starters on offense.

If Ford is able to play next year after his injury.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

ballhogger14u

we are now 3rd in the west, lsu has had great recruiting the last couple of years, but it didn't pay off this year, if you have a top 15 class it means you have the talent to compete with anyone what you do with it from there is up to the coaching staff

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Razorback56 on October 30, 2008, 01:42:01 pm
i'm trying to figure out what channel their nationally televised game is going to be on so i can watch

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=262151.0
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Darren McChadden on October 31, 2008, 12:56:20 am
I'm starting to question Spurrier's desire myself...$100 says he's playing scratch golf by now though.

Darren I do understand your concerns. What I feel is that if we are around the top 10 we will have enough talent to beat anybody. If you're out of the top 20 you aren't getting enough talent to compete at the top of the SEC. Then you have Notre Dame who can't get it done with the #1 class year after year.

To me if we stay close to the top 10 we'll have a top 10 type program. Our instate kids will always be underrated.

oldfart

again, when you look overall there may be very little numerical difference between, say, 10th ranked and 20th ranked.  also, it is great when you get a balanced class and may not have so many 5* athletes but get the 3* and 4* to fill your needs.......

Porkys Revenge

They probably ignore it because he went to Godby.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 06, 2008, 10:44:26 am
Darren I do understand your concerns. What I feel is that if we are around the top 10 we will have enough talent to beat anybody. If you're out of the top 20 you aren't getting enough talent to compete at the top of the SEC. Then you have Notre Dame who can't get it done with the #1 class year after year.

To me if we stay close to the top 10 we'll have a top 10 type program. Our instate kids will always be underrated.
True. Top ten talent and a good coach can compete with any team in the nation.

Darren McChadden

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on December 07, 2008, 06:07:05 pm
They probably ignore it because he went to Godby.

That's an excellent point...oops.

PotBelliedPig29

Quote from: Darren McChadden on December 16, 2008, 09:46:24 pm
That's an excellent point...oops.

Houston Nutt and Charles Clay both went to Central.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas