Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is Hog Fb

Started by hogsanity, August 26, 2005, 08:48:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

The thread on the 2006 shcedule made me think about some things.

1.  IS NEXT year one of those yearsthat the stars may very well align and we have a good shot at the West/Overall SEC title?  Favorable schedule in what should be a down year for the Division, and we have lots of guys back next year.  ANd, have we reached the level where the only time we have a shot is on one of the "abnormal"sec seasons?

2.  Are those who think they are real hog fans really just snobs.  If have seen posts about people withholding donations or not buying season tickets again until we have a winner.  Sorry, that just being a bandwagon fan.  Also, people are whining about the 06 home sched being a rip off because we play Utah st ans SEMO.  Of course we also play TN, USC and Bama, but I guess we should be playing Mich and Miami too.  Come people, everyone plays rent a wins.  IF you dont like the game dont go, but give your tickets to someone that does want to be there.

3.  Will the sigjning of MM make a difference in recruiting?  I can see how other coaches will use it against us.  THey will tell recruits MM only signed here bcause he lives here.  They may very well be right, but it wont change the fact that the #1(by some accounts) QB of the 2006 signing class has committed to the Hogs, will he bring others with him?

Ok, have at it
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgbrew

Quote from: hogsanity on August 26, 2005, 08:48:52 am
The thread on the 2006 shcedule made me think about some things.

1. IS NEXT year one of those yearsthat the stars may very well align and we have a good shot at the West/Overall SEC title? Favorable schedule in what should be a down year for the Division, and we have lots of guys back next year. ANd, have we reached the level where the only time we have a shot is on one of the "abnormal"sec seasons?

2. Are those who think they are real hog fans really just snobs. If have seen posts about people withholding donations or not buying season tickets again until we have a winner. Sorry, that just being a bandwagon fan. Also, people are whining about the 06 home sched being a rip off because we play Utah st ans SEMO. Of course we also play TN, USC and Bama, but I guess we should be playing Mich and Miami too. Come people, everyone plays rent a wins. IF you dont like the game dont go, but give your tickets to someone that does want to be there.

3. Will the sigjning of MM make a difference in recruiting? I can see how other coaches will use it against us. THey will tell recruits MM only signed here bcause he lives here. They may very well be right, but it wont change the fact that the #1(by some accounts) QB of the 2006 signing class has committed to the Hogs, will he bring others with him?

Ok, have at it
Next year is one of those years.  But with the way recruiting is going and having a really good year next year I think we will turn that corner and be in the hunt every year.

I agree, dont bitch about the schedule.  Fricking USC is on the schedule and Utah State is not just a horrible program.  We need creampuffs and every school has them on there schedule.

Mitch Mustain will make a differance in Recruiting.  Getting one of the top QBs in the country can only help.  There is alot of good players looking at us and I think this current class will end up very  strong. 

I personally feel that with the probation and NCAA cloud behind us we are about to turn the corner.  And I think NUTT is the man to do it.   And for those of you who think that the NCAA investigation was an just an excuse and that it shouldnt matter when your Best Juniors leave the team(some prematurely in my opinion) you can kiss my water bottle.

SultanofSwine

The investigation was used as an excuse for the lack of a united and defined recruiting effort that focused on needs. No question the investigation hurt but it was not the reason for grossly undersigning one position while grossly oversigning another, mismanagement was.

hogsanity

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 26, 2005, 10:41:47 am
The investigation was used as an excuse for the lack of a united and defined recruiting effort that focused on needs. No question the investigation hurt but it was not the reason for grossly undersigning one position while grossly oversigning another, mismanagement was.

Yes, we know swine.  How about addressing the actual questions posed in the start of this thread?  I know, that will require you to actually live in the present, and may not give you an opportunity to bash HDN, but give it a try.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SultanofSwine

I don't remember addressing you at all really. My reply was to Hogbrew's point about most peoples problem with recruiting over the past several years.

Addressing your initial post...
#1 - Star alingment doesn't have jack squat to do with winning football. Our season results will depend on how well our young talent developes and how well that talent is utilized by the coaches. That said, it could be a good year but I wouldn't go out on a limb and say west title or overall title. LSU will still have more overall talent but we don't know how well it is going to be used. Tennessee is going to be stacked out loaded and they know how to use talent and win Championships. Both games are home but until we prove that we can consistently win against upper tier talent at home, I wouldn't bet on it.

#2 - I addressed the schedule problem in 2 other places but for a quick recap, there are to many other options for an easy game to lower ourselves to playing the equivalent of a prep school team, period.

#3 - I hope that MM has a positive impact on recruiting and he could certainly help by contacting other players but that really isn't his job. This staff finally has thier ace in the hole but will they be able to capitalize on it? It looks like they are off to a good start but we won't know until Feb. when the rubber meets the road.

To be factual all of your questions relate to living in the future but that  is just semantics.

Thehammer

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 26, 2005, 11:23:25 am
I don't remember addressing you at all really. My reply was to Hogbrew's point about most peoples problem with recruiting over the past several years.

Addressing your initial post...
#1 - Star alingment doesn't have jack squat to do with winning football. Our season results will depend on how well our young talent developes and how well that talent is utilized by the coaches. That said, it could be a good year but I wouldn't go out on a limb and say west title or overall title. LSU will still have more overall talent but we don't know how well it is going to be used. Tennessee is going to be stacked out loaded and they know how to use talent and win Championships. Both games are home but until we prove that we can consistently win against upper tier talent at home, I wouldn't bet on it.

#2 - I addressed the schedule problem in 2 other places but for a quick recap, there are to many other options for an easy game to lower ourselves to playing the equivalent of a prep school team, period.

#3 - I hope that MM has a positive impact on recruiting and he could certainly help by contacting other players but that really isn't his job. This staff finally has thier ace in the hole but will they be able to capitalize on it? It looks like they are off to a good start but we won't know until Feb. when the rubber meets the road.

To be factual all of your questions relate to living in the future but that is just semantics.

Forget the NCAA investigation.  Yes it hurt us no one can say any differently.   The problem was further compounded by Nutt insisting on leaving George Pugh as the recruiting coordinator.  The 2000 class was a vacuum.  I think only nine out of twenty five players actually stuck it out at UA.  It was bad planning and just plain stubborness on the part of our head coach.