Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do some people diss message boards?

Started by Tomhog™, August 25, 2005, 12:45:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

I was listening to DTS the other day and heard a fellow hogville.net caller talk about the site.  RR started making a joke about it (can't remember what was said now).  It almost sounded like we are a bunch of people with too much time on their hands to do anything productive.  Thoughts?

ThisTeetsTaken

Those same people who are bashing us for spending time on our computers are sitting in front of their t.v. all night watching "reality" shows.  I wouldn't give them another thought. Especially if they're calling in to that waste of air-time DTS.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PAHog

They're just jealous of the witty and insightful comments that are posted hourly that they were unable to come up with themselves, and have to much pride in admitting they use.  It's like complaining about violence on TV, if you don't like it, don't watch/logon.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

razorprep

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 25, 2005, 12:50:56 pm
Those same people who are bashing us for spending time on our computers are sitting in front of their t.v. all night watching "reality" shows. I wouldn't give them another thought. Especially if they're calling in to that waste of air-time DTS.
[/quote
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 25, 2005, 12:50:56 pm
Those same people who are bashing us for spending time on our computers are sitting in front of their t.v. all night watching "reality" shows. I wouldn't give them another thought. Especially if they're calling in to that waste of air-time DTS.
You can't think of anything else to say than "I'm rubber and your glue"!!??  DTS has its purpose just like the message boards...  Show a little maturity!

Feralhog

It's the same phenomena that we see demonstrated by traditional news outlets when they discuss blogers or talk radio.  Part of it is jealousy, fans no longer have to rely on sports radio to get information, in fact, more times than not, if a topic is newsworthy, by the time it hits the airwaves of DTS, posters on message boards have already beaten it to death.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

ThisTeetsTaken

You will get better info on here than you ever will from Randy and Rick Schaefwater.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Macgyver_Hawg

Message boards are something they can't control.  Instead of embracing it and acting like it's 2005 they want to pretend only a few people are on them and those people know nothing. They are all lying if they say they don't read them regularly.

Flatfoot

Quote from: Feralhog on August 25, 2005, 12:55:40 pm
It's the same phenomena that we see demonstrated by traditional news outlets when they discuss blogers or talk radio.  Part of it is jealousy, fans no longer have to rely on sports radio to get information, in fact, more times than not, if a topic is newsworthy, by the time it hits the airwaves of DTS, posters on message boards have already beaten it to death.

Why do you think alot of coaches are closing practice.  These boards give instant information sometimes.  It makes the other media outlets look like a bunch of dinosaurs.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Tomhog™

Yeah, I have found that this is the BEST source for sports facts.  It is quicker than anything else.  And you don't have to wait until 4pm to get involved!  It's 24 hrs/day baby!!!

PigKahuna

The biggest problem with message boards involves the rumors.  Rumor after rumor posted over and over by someone who "heard from a friend" or "heard it from an insider on the hill" and they NEVER turn out to be true.

Facts/stats are the best things about message boards, but the rumors and those who fall for them ruin some boards.

hogfan98

Quote from: PigKahuna on August 25, 2005, 05:30:56 pm
The biggest problem with message boards involves the rumors. Rumor after rumor posted over and over by someone who "heard from a friend" or "heard it from an insider on the hill" and they NEVER turn out to be true.

Facts/stats are the best things about message boards, but the rumors and those who fall for them ruin some boards.

i completely agree.  the credibility of message boards is ruined by the people who brag about "facts" that are partly true or completely fasle that comes from sources that are either not-credible or don't exist.  couple that with the few over-the-top fans who are off the charts with some of their comments (good or bad), and this small percentage ruins the reps of all other knowledgable, credible posters.

Macgyver_Hawg

But rumors today are set straight quicker than they would be in the past.
You might see a flare up for a couple of hours but they are laid to rest pretty fast.

I'd say speculation is harder to sit through than rumors.

junkyardhog

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 25, 2005, 12:56:47 pm
Message boards are something they can't control. Instead of embracing it and acting like it's 2005 they want to pretend only a few people are on them and those people know nothing. They are all lying if they say they don't read them regularly.

Yep, if media was smart, they would team up with message boards. I.E. Hogville.net & DTS present.

mikeirwin

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 25, 2005, 06:39:17 pm
Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 25, 2005, 12:56:47 pm
Message boards are something they can't control. Instead of embracing it and acting like it's 2005 they want to pretend only a few people are on them and those people know nothing. They are all lying if they say they don't read them regularly.

Yep, if media was smart, they would team up with message boards. I.E. Hogville.net & DTS present.
Go to the home page of this board and look top right. KFSM HAS teamed with Hogville.

junkyardhog

You have to understand something Mike. To most in LR and more southern, KFSM is greek.(Meaning they don't reach the main audience)  Randy & Chuck & Tommy & Wally should all partner up.