Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everybody Thinks They Can Beat Arkansas

Started by Shawn, August 24, 2005, 04:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

I left August 15th on a tour of the SEC. We are doing our show from each campus. The main theme I hear from local media members is how Arkansas is their "swing" game.
South Carolina, State, Ole Miss, all are banking on beating the Hogs. We have yet to visit Ole Miss, Carolina is tomorrow but this is the word we are getting. I watched State and they're thin and not near as talented as the Hogs.
Really don't know what to make of this but it does surprise me. BTW, our website is d1sports.net, click on SEC, then Caravan Update with entries from each school.
Touring the SEC in a tour bus is off the charts.

Go Hogs

shawn arnell

Swino

Thehammer

Quote from: ccall on August 24, 2005, 04:00:25 pm
I left August 15th on a tour of the SEC. We are doing our show from each campus. The main theme I hear from local media members is how Arkansas is their "swing" game.
South Carolina, State, Ole Miss, all are banking on beating the Hogs. We have yet to visit Ole Miss, Carolina is tomorrow but this is the word we are getting. I watched State and they're thin and not near as talented as the Hogs.
Really don't know what to make of this but it does surprise me. BTW, our website is d1sports.net, click on SEC, then Caravan Update with entries from each school.

Go Hogs

shawn arnell

I can see no reason why they shouldn't think that. 

toshortrock

well,,u know,,u have to show em,,not tell em
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Jim Harris

Go Hogs

shawn arnell

At least Arkansas isn't everyone's homecoming game.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hog Bounty Hunter

Go Hogs

shawn arnell

I think this is the reason all the coaches like Houston Nutt.  They all feel they can beat him.

tophawg19

the SEC views us like we did tcu and smu when we were in the swc . we can't look at the schedule and count wins like we used to . nutt is unhappy with the team and says we are not ready to play yet . that is not a vote of confidence from an always opptimistic coach . herring is scrambling to find players to fit a system . not good a player not used to a position is going to blow assignments . which usually turns into big plays . tackling is poor again maybe by USC  some of that will have worked it's self out .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

junkyardhog

You pessimists can kiss my ass. I'll always think our hogs are going to win. And don't say " I support the team, but not the coach". With friends like you, who needs enemies?

BTW- to all the rest of the outsiders: *******

Sorry for the language.

Since 1894

Thanks for the post CCALL and please keep posting. 

Please tell everyone else that we have no offense or defense and our only strength is our punting team.  Tell them all to go out the Friday before the game and have a great time partying with their fans.  Tell them we are so scared of them that we might not even show up for the game!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

junkyardhog

Yep, if there is any a time to be a homer, it is right now. Before the first game. It is homer time! ;D

Since 1894

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 24, 2005, 07:07:19 pm
You pessimists can kiss my ass. I'll always think our hogs are going to win. And don't say " I support the team, but not the coach". With friends like you, who needs enemies?

BTW- to all the rest of the outsiders: *******

Sorry for the language.

Too bad we can't give you "kudos" anymore or I would give you a 100.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Everyone is a homer before the first game, most fans are optimistic.  I hope we win them all, it would be great for the program if we could win at least 8 and get to a decent bowl and be ranked.  I know I would feel a lot better about the team if somehow we could crack the top 25.   

Flatfoot

I know that I am a homer hog fan right now and will give anyone my first born(Lab Puppies) ;D  if we win the National Title.  I am just a little pessimistic right now.  I just don't see us winning 8 games like most people predict on here.  That means were 6-2 in conference and that would mean maybe a SEC West Title.  Guys I Love the Hogs just as much as anyone on this board,  but I just don't think we can win 8 with an unproven QB.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Biggus Piggus

It makes me feel better to hear our middling to poor SEC rivals saying they think they can beat us.  I'm thinking they look at us as last year's team minus Matt Jones.  The biggest change will be the running game.  The second biggest will be the overall soundness of the defense.  The third biggest will be the number of receiving threats.  I don't believe anyone expects these things.
[CENSORED]!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2005, 08:07:45 am
It makes me feel better to hear our middling to poor SEC rivals saying they think they can beat us. I'm thinking they look at us as last year's team minus Matt Jones. The biggest change will be the running game. The second biggest will be the overall soundness of the defense. The third biggest will be the number of receiving threats. I don't believe anyone expects these things.

I agree totally.  If they are thinking that we are the piss poor excuse for a defense that we were last year, they are in for a rude awakening.  Our tailback situation has me absolutely giddy!  Now if HDN will just get these Frosh RBs the ball at least 10-20 times a game (total not 10-20 per back but that would be great too!!) we might have something.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Tomhog™

We definitely haven't proven ourselves an SEC powerhouse yet, so why wouldn't we be considered a 'swing' game?  Atleast other teams arent looking at us as the floormat of the SEC like State.....

Razorfan

Optimistic is what we all need to be if our past recruiting had been half as good as it was this year. Pessimistic is what I am because of our past recruiting. Hopefully we can win all of our non-conference games and the bottom dwellers that we face in the SEC. Now if we played in the MAC or even the WAC our recruiting would not hurt us. So be it Go Hog!

Chief Mac

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 25, 2005, 08:51:48 am
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on August 25, 2005, 08:27:51 am
It makes me feel better to hear our middling to poor SEC rivals saying they think they can beat us. I'm thinking they look at us as last year's team minus Matt Jones. The biggest change will be the running game. The second biggest will be the overall soundness of the defense. The third biggest will be the number of receiving threats. I don't believe anyone expects these things.

I agree totally. If they are thinking that we are the piss poor excuse for a defense that we were last year, they are in for a rude awakening. Our tailback situation has me absolutely giddy! Now if HDN will just get these Frosh RBs the ball at least 10-20 times a game (total not 10-20 per back but that would be great too!!) we might have something.

WPS

Chris

Here's what always puzzles me about Hog Fans (and I'm not picking on you Ga - I'm just pointing out something that's never made sense to me). More and more this preseason I'm hearing people talk up our running backs, and rightly so. Everyone is excited to see this huge contingent of stud running backs get out there and pile up the yardage. However, the most often repeated refrain against Nutt is that he doesn't throw it enough. So, when he's giving these frosh studs the ball 10-20 times, and D.Howard is getting it 15 or so times, and P. Hillis is getting it 10 or 15 times, doesn't that by necessity lessen the opportunities for him to throw the ball downfield, or to the tight end?

It just seems we want it both ways. Or, more precisely, the fans think if he calls a few running plays that get stuffed, then he's not passing enough.

I'll be the first to confess I've questioned his play-calling, because I've found it painfully predictable. ALWAYS a draw on 3rd and long. ALWAYS a draw on 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass on 1st down. We should have an assistant coach scouting ourselves for tendencies and game-planning every week to specifically avoid those tendencies.

However, I am not one of these fans who thinks we have to air it out like John Jenkins at Houston to be successful. A balanced attack is the one that's proven itself time and again. All the great teams seem to start with a potent running attack. I agree with Ga that we need to pump it to the running backs - play to our strengths. But bear in mind, each time that ball is handed off to a great back, it's one less opportunity to air it out to Monk.

I've never thought HDN's problem with play calling was in the balance of run vs. pass. I think he has a pretty good balance there. My problem with his play calling has always been that even sitting in my crummy seats in the stadium, I can tell you when he's going to call the runs and when he's going to call the passes.

If Howard doesn't step up, he won't be getting 15 carries a game.  Hillis should get 10-15 "touches" (receptions plus carries).  I don't mind more running plays over passing plays as long as the passing play yardage is quality.  Nothing like smacking someone in the mouth several times, have them cheat up to stop the run, and then hit them for a 20+ yard gain in the air.  That is what I call winning football.  In order to win,  you must be VERY effective running the ball and stopping the run, then have a passing game that takes advantage of an defense that overloads to stop the run.  The reverse is effective as well.  Passing to set up the run (i.e. west coast offense)  That type of offense is effective if you have a accurate QB that can read defenses.  Don't have that type of QB, stick with the run to set up pass.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

sooie dog

I agree totally. If they are thinking that we are the piss poor excuse for a defense that we were last year, they are in for a rude awakening. Our tailback situation has me absolutely giddy! Now if HDN will just get these Frosh RBs the ball at least 10-20 times a game (total not 10-20 per back but that would be great too!!) we might have something.

WPS

Chris

Here's what always puzzles me about Hog Fans (and I'm not picking on you Ga - I'm just pointing out something that's never made sense to me). More and more this preseason I'm hearing people talk up our running backs, and rightly so. Everyone is excited to see this huge contingent of stud running backs get out there and pile up the yardage. However, the most often repeated refrain against Nutt is that he doesn't throw it enough. So, when he's giving these frosh studs the ball 10-20 times, and D.Howard is getting it 15 or so times, and P. Hillis is getting it 10 or 15 times, doesn't that by necessity lessen the opportunities for him to throw the ball downfield, or to the tight end?

It just seems we want it both ways. Or, more precisely, the fans think if he calls a few running plays that get stuffed, then he's not passing enough.

I'll be the first to confess I've questioned his play-calling, because I've found it painfully predictable. ALWAYS a draw on 3rd and long. ALWAYS a draw on 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass on 1st down. We should have an assistant coach scouting ourselves for tendencies and game-planning every week to specifically avoid those tendencies.

However, I am not one of these fans who thinks we have to air it out like John Jenkins at Houston to be successful. A balanced attack is the one that's proven itself time and again. All the great teams seem to start with a potent running attack. I agree with Ga that we need to pump it to the running backs - play to our strengths. But bear in mind, each time that ball is handed off to a great back, it's one less opportunity to air it out to Monk.

I've never thought HDN's problem with play calling was in the balance of run vs. pass. I think he has a pretty good balance there. My problem with his play calling has always been that even sitting in my crummy seats in the stadium, I can tell you when he's going to call the runs and when he's going to call the passes.

I was just about to say the same thing.

sage_dragoon

WPS

Chris

If they execute, it doesnt matter if you know what play is being called.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Razorback Jedi

Unfortunately this won't be the case with any team after USC or Bama.