Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the fire still there with JFB ?

Started by JJHog, August 24, 2005, 01:02:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

The JFB I picture in my mind is still burning to win, I hope so. I hope we haven't "settled" or compromised on the UA's coimmittment to winning.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Thehammer

Quote from: JJHog on August 24, 2005, 01:02:58 pm
The JFB I picture in my mind is still burning to win, I hope so. I hope we haven't "settled" or compromised on the UA's coimmittment to winning.

It's hard to get a reading on Broyles because any comments you get from him are either second hand or by printed media.   To really know whether that fire still burns within JFB would be to sit down face to face and talk to him. 

I'll just be honest with you:  Everything I've read or heard gives me the opinion that Coach Broyles has been beaten down by Nutt, the ordeal with the Nolan firing, Johnny White and Jim Lindsey and the death of his longtime wife;  Barbara.  Not to mention his age and health issues. 

tophawg19

i agree hoop he is still hiring 2nd rate coaches and trying to win with them . van horn was a good hire and shows what kind of turn around is possible with a good coach . jfb has settled for being average at best and has stood by while our sports programs have fallen to a level far below what is acceptable to true razorback fans . the promise of the future is worn out and tired . we are hiring 2nd level coaches , paying 2nd rate pay and are getting what we paid for . john mcdonnell [sp] has shown us what is possible at ark now the other programs need to follow including the womens . props also to the ladyback gymnasts program they went from non existant to very competitive in a couple years in the toughest conference in the sport .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PigPusher

Ya gotta be a good chess player to be a good  coach.  I have heard that Coach Nutt does not even play chess.  Nuf said....
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

radar

He has certainly not taken the football program to a higher level, since he retired as coach, the one area you would expect improvement. I can not think of one coach in basketball or football where he hasn't screwed-up the firing, costing the programs involved several recruiting classes. I can not understand why the supporters of the program get so upset with the coaches, instead of the man who has been hiring these folks. When a coaching vacancy comes up you hear about all the money that is available in NWA to hire the right man, yet in the 40+ years I've been following the program Lou Holtz was the only one who might have been considered a top 10 coach. What good is the money if you don't use it?

radar

After the Nebraska deal with Houston I am not sure that the boosters aren't running the show anyway. I guess I have just been really disappointed in the way Frank has let the football program slide under his watch. He has meddled, demanded, and feuded with each coach he has hired, until they are burnt out on coaching (Holtz), want to crawl away (Sutton), I ll take any job out there (Hatfield), I have been discriminated against (Richardson). He had the chance during the late 80s and early 90s to make a good hire in football, to get back toward the top, while OU and TX were floundering, but instead followed suit with the Crowe, Kines, and Ford years.

Macgyver_Hawg

John White was involved in Richardson both staying and leaving.  Ken Hatfield played Arkansas and pretty much ruined the program for the '90's.  All becuase his former coach and boss gave him advice on his offense?

The Crowe hire was bad - but would have been with any coach when a program goes through 2 recruiting classes without recruiting.

If I hear one more time how Ken Hatfield was "run out of Arkansas" I'm going to make Bea Arthur streak at the Homecoming game this season.

Thehammer

Quote from: ConwayHog on August 24, 2005, 05:50:18 pm
Guys that work till 83 have a different mindset than the rest of us. If he's still putting up with everything at his age, you can bet his fire is still lit. What motivation does he have to keep working? Money? I don't think so. It's because he loves the razorbacks.

If you really think the man doesn't have the fire, I believe you must have your mind made up that you don't want him here. Otherwise, its illogical in my view to think a man at his age and still working as an AD with a 45 million budget (give or take) doesn't have the fire. Go spend a few days around some 80 something year old men that are still active. They're motor works diffe
\\\rent. They plan on continuing on their current pace till 90 years old. I would bet when they get 90, they keep on from that point.

Quote from: ConwayHog on August 24, 2005, 05:50:18 pm
Guys that work till 83 have a different mindset than the rest of us. If he's still putting up with everything at his age, you can bet his fire is still lit. What motivation does he have to keep working? Money? I don't think so. It's because he loves the razorbacks.

If you really think the man doesn't have the fire, I believe you must have your mind made up that you don't want him here. Otherwise, its illogical in my view to think a man at his age and still working as an AD with a 45 million budget (give or take) doesn't have the fire. Go spend a few days around some 80 something year old men that are still active. They're motor works different. They plan on continuing on their current pace till 90 years old. I would bet when they get 90, they keep on from that point.

Give me a reason why he doesn't have the fire besides he didn't fire Nutt or Stan last year. One example, please. If those are your only reasons, they have nothing to do with Frank, but rather you just want one or both of those men fired.

Comments I've read from him.   For example:  when Nutt was wooed by Nebraska, Frank was holding the door open.  Next day;  a complete turnaround.  I think White and Lindsdey got to him.   He has stated that Nutt has done everything he said he would do.  Huh???   And he feels HDN is the right man for the job.   He seems resigned to mediocrity at this point in time.

Not like the old Frank at all. 

Inigo Montoya

I figure he's going to be like the Pope John Paul II of the UofA one day.  He'll just take naps most of the day and wave from a balcony in reynolds stadium a few times a year.  That or replace him with a robotic replica so we have 100 more years of Broyles.  If we haven't already.  I'm not sure some of us 30 years from now would really notice and we'd be saying then like we do now "Hey isn't Broyles getting a little old, I wonder if he still has that fire?"

tophawg19

all things said he may be the greatest fund raiser of all time . he has done a great job of that it's the other parts of the job where we are struggling .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GorillaJMonsoon

Broyles obviously doesn't need the money.  He could be off playing golf all the time at Clear Creek or Augusta.  Some might think that he is a control freak, and maybe he is, but didnt he coach through his assistants instead of micromanaging?  I think he still has it.  We take him for granted, but the man is a living legend, and even though he might have made some questionable decisions as AD, we are lucky to have him and I can't imagine what Arkansas sports would be like if he had never come and stayed here.  I'd love to meet the man and thank him in person.