Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am moving to Purgatory next month (Austin,TX)

Started by Big Dog, August 22, 2005, 09:05:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dog

August 22, 2005, 09:05:45 pm Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:52:50 pm by Big Dog
Well guys it has been 4 long years back in the great state of Arkansas and I have enjoyed being able to go to both football games and basketball games in Little Rock and Fayetteville. I was in the end zone when Decori and Matt hooked up for the Miracle on Markham. I live in Jonesboro and I have been working for the FAA as an air traffic controller for the last 4 years. We found out in Febuary that the job that I do for the FAA in Jonesboro will no longer be done by the FAA but a contractor. I have been trying since then to go a control tower so I might keep my federal retirement. I put in for several tower including the one in Austin,tx and I found out last week that there were 63 people that put in for Austin and they have cut the list down two 8 people and they where going to pick 4 from the 8. It looks like I have a 75% chance that I will be going to Austin but I should know something by the end of this week. I have a friend down their and it looks like I will be on my way in the next couple of weeks. It has been great living back in Arkansas for the last couple of years and do not worry I will never be a short horn fan because I have blead razorback red too long. I hope that we can win and get a bowl game and the NCAA tournament despite the coaches we have.

Go Hogs

AUSTXHOG

Austin is a great place...even for a die hard hawg fan like me...... You'll love it.

Sbrokeski

Sounds bittersweet for you.  If its any consolation there is a lot of competition for jobs in Austin so if you are in fact hired consider it a huge compliment.  Austin is a great city despite the influx of sips.  Hope it works out well, either way.

rzrbacknTX

:razorback:  Big dog......Austin is a great place to be a Razorback.  Great Razorback Club......plenty of Hog fans.  And, weall get a ton of enjoyment out of listening to UT fans whine every year after the OU game.  It's hilarious.  It will be good to have you here.

Turnberry

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on August 22, 2005, 09:12:22 pm
Austin is a great place...even for a die hard hawg fan like me...... You'll love it.

Positives:

-  Great night life (Bars, clubs, plenty of good restaurants)
-  Beautiful city (I love the Lake LBJ area)
-  Job Growth (more competition though)

Negatives

- Cost of living is to high!!!
- To liberal
- City has outgrown infrastructure

aka PlanoHog

Mr A Ziffell

clew

come on down!!!  need more arkansans to keep things straight around here...
Pure as the dawn

HighOnHogs

I've always enjoyed the time I have spent working in Austin on different jobs.  I think you will enjoy living there. You can take the Hog out of Arkansas but you can't take the Hog out of an Arkansan.

HighOnHogs

Quote from: hogapalooza on August 23, 2005, 06:59:47 amBut anywho, you have to try the BEST BBQ in TexASS. But the BBQ is the Best!!!

That can't be.  The best BBQ in Texas is off my pit.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

HighOnHogs

Quote from: hogapalooza on August 23, 2005, 07:05:17 am
Maybe in your back yard ?.?., well this guy that owns RJ's The Pitt makes a living at selling it? So if you do also,then it might be, but if you don't then I would go w/ the guy that does.?. ;)

No doubt his stuff is good and worthy of selling.  You can't put a price on mine though. Priceless  ;)

Since 1894

I hope purgatory isn't any worse than Austin.  Its a nice city, ton to do and a short plan ride back to NWA.  Besides, think about how much fun you will have wearing your HOG shirts around town.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

junkyardhog

I can't stand Austin. It smells like old beer and piss. It's impossible getting a taxi and transportation is horrible. What the hell would anyone like about Austin?

Sanctified Swine

Hey looks like there are a lot of Austin Hogs on this board. I live in Austin to, Would love to hook up with the Razorback Club here. Does anyone have any info?

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 23, 2005, 08:49:49 am
I can't stand Austin. It smells like old beer and piss. It's impossible getting a taxi and transportation is horrible. What the hell would anyone like about Austin?
I lived near Austin and worked there for a little over two years.  The people there can have that city as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

rzrbacknTX

Hey Junkyard.......did you stay in a homeless shelter or something?  Anyone interested in the Razorback club here email Lisa at lthompson21@austin.rr.com.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: HighOnHogs on August 23, 2005, 07:02:29 amThat can't be.  The best BBQ in Texas is off my pit.  ;D

I hope you haven't got suckered into the Texass illusion that sliced beef brisket is the best way to go for BBQ sandwiches.

The best BBQ in Arkansas comes from my family's pit, and it is a real pit.  Seventy year old recipe, and sliced (not chopped, chopped pork sandwiches with cole slaw are an abomination to God) pork is the only way to go for a sandwich. 8)  We cook ribs and Boston butts so good you'll slap your mother.

Well, cole slaw on any BBQ sandwich is an affront to God.  Thirteenth Commandment.

Takes all night to cook though, but I'll put ours against anyone's.

HighOnHogs

Quote from: DR on August 24, 2005, 12:31:30 amI hope you haven't got suckered into the Texass illusion that sliced beef brisket is the best way to go for BBQ sandwiches.

The best BBQ in Arkansas comes from my family's pit, and it is a real pit. Seventy year old recipe, and sliced (not chopped, chopped pork sandwiches with cole slaw are an abomination to God) pork is the only way to go for a sandwich. 8) We cook ribs and Boston butts so good you'll slap your mother.

Well, cole slaw on any BBQ sandwich is an affront to God. Thirteenth Commandment.

Takes all night to cook though, but I'll put ours against anyone's.

You name it I cook it.  To me BBQ is all things cooked on the grill.  Meat, Vegetables, Fruit, etc...  Every friendly eatable food has it's own special needs, heat, and time in the pit depending on size and flavor you're trying to achieve.

How a person chooses to eat it is up to them.  I won't take that choice away from anyone's taste buds.

Oh and, how old a recipe is doesn't mean squat.  The age of the recipe doesn't add anything to the flavor of what you're cooking.  A good aged and seasoned pit does though.

junkyardhog

Quote from: rzrbacknTX on August 24, 2005, 12:14:55 am
Hey Junkyard.......did you stay in a homeless shelter or something? Anyone interested in the Razorback club here email Lisa at lthompson21@austin.rr.com.

Stayed in the Stephen F. Austin. I believe it's supposed to be a nice hotel, right? ;)

Big Dog

Quote from: Big Dog on August 22, 2005, 09:05:45 pm
Well guys it has been 4 long years back in the great state of Arkansas and I have enjoyed being able to go to both football games and basketball games in Little Rock and Fayetteville. I was in the end zone when Decori and Matt hooked up for the Miracle on Markham. I live in Jonesboro and I have been working for the FAA as an air traffic controller for the last 4 years. We found out in Febuary that the job that I do for the FAA in Jonesboro will no longer be done by the FAA but a contractor. I have been trying since then to go a control tower so I might keep my federal retirement. I put in for several tower including the one in Austin,tx and I found out last week that there were 63 people that put in for Austin and they have cut the list down two 8 people and they where going to pick 4 from the 8. It looks like I have a 75% chance that I will be going to Austin but I should know something by the end of this week. I have a friend down their and it looks like I will be on my way in the next couple of weeks. It has been great living back in Arkansas for the last couple of years and do not worry I will never be a short horn fan because I have blead razorback red too long. I hope that we can win and get a bowl game and the NCAA tournament despite the coaches we have.

Go Hogs

Well guys,

I got the news today around 12:00pm. I got a phone call from the manger at the Austin Airport he he offered me the job right on the spot and I accepted without hesitation. I will be in Arkansas until the end of September and I will get to Austin just either before or after they lose to OU in Dallas. I do plan on joining the Razorback Club in Austin once I get there.

rzrbacknTX

:razorback:  Congrats Big Dog.  Look forward to seeing you at Waterloo for your first game in ATX.

Sbrokeski

Quote from: Big Dog on August 24, 2005, 02:56:57 pm
I will be in Arkansas until the end of September and I will get to Austin just either before or after they lose to OU in Dallas.
lol   :D

Salt Lick - Driftwood, TX.....just southwest of Austin.  One of the famous BBQ joints in Texas.  B.Y.O.B.
If you like Texas country music, Gruene Hall near New Braunfels just south of Austin.
Oh and most importantly, I suggest avoiding I-35 basically from 6:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Sunday-Friday and on game days.  Other than that usually smooth sailing. Ha.  Good luck with the job. 
Waterloo....mmmmmmm.