Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wins the 2009 BCS Championship (2008 Season)? (July 2008 prediction)

Started by Bryan (CHF), July 08, 2008, 01:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think wins this season's BCS Championship?

Clemson (ACC)
0 (0%)
Virginia Tech (ACC)
1 (0.7%)
Missouri (Big 12)
2 (1.3%)
Kansas (Big 12)
0 (0%)
Oklahoma (Big 12)
11 (7.3%)
Texas (Big 12)
3 (2%)
West Virginia (Big East)
1 (0.7%)
Ohio State (Big 10)
1 (0.7%)
USC (Pac 10)
24 (16%)
Arizona State (Pac 10)
1 (0.7%)
Georgia (SEC)
84 (56%)
Florida (SEC)
13 (8.7%)
LSU (SEC)
1 (0.7%)
Auburn (SEC)
1 (0.7%)
Norte Dame (Independent)
2 (1.3%)
Other BCS school (List)
4 (2.7%)
Other Non-BCS school (List)
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Bryan (CHF)

I've tried to list the teams from each of the BCS conferences that have some sort of a chance to win the BCS Championship. Since the Hogs are unlikely to win it all in 2008, who will win it all?
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Hoggish1

Too bad you didn't have Arkansas up, 'cause that was the one I would've chosen instead of UGA  ;D

Beaverfever

Georgia is stacked.  IMO Moreno is almost as good as mcfadden.  Stafford is more than solid.  They have no weakness on thier team.  Their lines are both among the best in the SEC and their defense should be the best in the conference.  I think they could have beat LSU at the end of lastyear.

usnavyhogfan

if UGA can run the gauntlet of the SEC then they should be a shoe in for the NC
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Hugulus Hog

OU gets its revenge on USC for the title.

Georgia can't survive the grueling sec schedule.

drivetimeporks

georgia is a great team , no doubt,.. but here's their schedule... good luck wit dat!

August 30 Georgia Southern 
September 6 Central Michigan 
September 13 at South Carolina 
September 20 at Arizona State 
September 27 Alabama    
October 11 Tennessee 
October 18 Vanderbilt 
October 25 at LSU 
November 1 Florida 
November 8 at Kentucky
November 15 at Auburn   
November 29 Georgia Tech 

Beaverfever

July 08, 2008, 02:19:42 pm #6 Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:21:20 pm by Beaverfever
Quote from: drivetimeporks on July 08, 2008, 02:15:27 pm
georgia is a great team , no doubt,.. but here's their schedule... good luck wit dat!

August 30 Georgia Southern 
September 6 Central Michigan 
September 13 at South Carolina 
September 20 at Arizona State 
September 27 Alabama    
October 11 Tennessee 
October 18 Vanderbilt 
October 25 at LSU 
November 1 Florida 
November 8 at Kentucky
November 15 at Auburn   
November 29 Georgia Tech 

I just looked at that as well.  I figured our schedule was the hardest schedule going but I don't think so anymore.  Two losses on that schedule would be an incredible year.  Hell, 7-5 would be pretty good.  It will be interesting if they lose two games and a big 10 or acc team has one loss what will happen.  That schedule is ridiculous. 

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: hawgndodge on July 08, 2008, 02:18:10 pm
what idiot voted for ohio state ???...come on now.

Herbstreit or Corso must be Hogville members............
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

drivetimeporks

funny that theyd be playing AZ state in a year both a national title contenders

Pigdiana Jones

Yeah who voted for slowhio state?

as for corso and herbstreit, if i recall correctly, herbstreit has been much better about the SEC than corso has.

I could be wrong though.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Razorvet

The only two teams with Georgia talent in the SEC would be Florida and LSU. So while all those teams are tough I think they can be beat by a team that is built to win it all. My second pick would be Florida for SEC east Champ. I really dont think LSU is gonna get it done this year. You can have a good season with no QB but not a great season. I think Auburn is better in the west. If Georgia meets Auburn in the SECC the tigers will need a miracle to get out alive. I think Auburn beats Florida this year and then with a win over Florida, Georgia is in the drivers seat, even with one loss somewhere else like @ LSU. But I am going with USC as the National champs. They have answered thier QB question and thier backup is MM. The rest of thier talent is head and shoulders above everyone else.

BigDrDon

when they run that table and beat lsu  a second time in the sec champ game then there will be no doubt they will deserve to be the third straight sec team to hang an enema on OHIO STATE.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

drivetimeporks

Quote from: BigDrDon on July 08, 2008, 02:34:24 pm
when they run that table and beat lsu  a second time in the sec champ game then there will be no doubt they will deserve to be the third straight sec team to hang an enema on OHIO STATE.
think about that..EVEN if they ran the table they'd still have to play a (penalty) game against the  best team in the sec west, very likely a top 5 team..and maybe for a second time...thats ridiculous!!! (they'd def deserve the title however)..im looking to call vegas and bet my left testicle that it wont happen

deshahawg

drivetimeporks

Quote from: deshahawg on July 08, 2008, 02:45:01 pm
West Virginia and Missouri?????????
absolutely...   decent teams with NICE schedules... if u want a dickie v cupcake city schedule..look at W virginia..toughest opponent is Auburn and freaking CU >? har har de har... lot easier to win out there than in Athens.. (whats the frequency kenneth?)

Bryan (CHF)

I think WV has a chance to play for the National Title considering they were pretty close this season (one slip up at Pitt cost them). I think if USC, Ohio State, Georgia are on top, I have a hard time seeing them get the bounce over those teams though. If WV runs the table and is undefeated, I think they will have a good argument to play for the title.
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

drivetimeporks

honestly im just sick of ohio state..puhleeeese let someone else get a shot..

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: drivetimeporks on July 08, 2008, 03:07:28 pm
honestly im just sick of ohio state..puhleeeese let someone else get a shot..
ditto.

I wouldn't mind any combination of USC, Georgia, West Virginia or another SEC team playing for the title. It would be a game we haven't seen in awhile.

agr347

If Georgia can somehow run that gauntlet and come out with only 1 loss I see them winning it all.  However, I don't see that happening--just oo many tough games.   see Florida having a good shot along with USC and unfortunately Ohio St being there.  They always manage to top their conference, althogh Wisconsin may stand in their way.
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

Bryan (CHF)

Georgia is the overwhelming #1, which is not surprising considering they are another SEC school. If Georgia is in the big game, who are they playing?

Bubba's Bruisers

ANYBODY BUT OHIO @#%$ !!!!!!  ANYBODY BUT THEM...PULEEEEEASSS!!!!!!  Anybody other than Ole Miss, of course.

Georgia is the best team, but will easily have the most difficult road.  I think it will most likely be OU vs. the winner of the USC/Ohio St. game.  OU could could go undefeated and the winner of the USC/OSU game will likely finish undefeated. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Zero Tolerance

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 08, 2008, 08:48:26 pm
ANYBODY BUT OHIO @#%$ !!!!!!  ANYBODY BUT THEM...PULEEEEEASSS!!!!!!  Anybody other than Ole Miss, of course.

Georgia is the best team, but will easily have the most difficult road.  I think it will most likely be OU vs. the winner of the USC/Ohio St. game.  OU could could go undefeated and the winner of the USC/OSU game will likely finish undefeated. 
I think OU has a very favorable schedule, but I also remember that they lost to Colorado last year, a team that had won just two games the year before. But I can't see the Sooners overlooking anybody this year; if they get by Texas, they're in good shape, although they do have to go to A&M and OSU, two venues that, at times, has been very unkind to the Sooners this decade, although OU has survived at both places each of its last two visits. I would also like to see OU administer another beatdown of Mizzou in the Big XII title game.
Jeff Long + John Pelphrey + Bobby Petrino = The dawning of a glorious new era in Arkansas sports

spiritof92

Not only will I predict the champ, but also the score.
      Western Kentucky- 35
       Ohio State         -  7         ;)

spiritof92

I would love to see a Georgia/USC match-up in the championship game (anybody but Ohio State please).

jcmojica23

Quote from: spiritof92 on July 09, 2008, 12:53:24 am
  I would love to see a Georgia/USC match-up in the championship game (anybody but Ohio State please).

Dont worry....My boys at SC will take care of Ohio St. come September.

I would also love to see USC and Georgia battle it out in the title game.

NuttinItUp

hogman

Quote from: hawgndodge on July 08, 2008, 02:18:10 pm
what idiot voted for ohio state ???...come on now.

They'll get there... and fail as usual lol

irishman

Georgia is clearly the favorite on here. I'll stick with my earlier Florida over USC pick... but I haven't watched Ga play much so I may be underestimating them

jcmojica23

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 09, 2008, 03:07:08 am
Who's your QB, Mustain or that other kid?
Fight On!

So far its Sanchez....if he cant get it done its Mustain.   Fight On!

hog_fan_12

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on July 08, 2008, 02:11:26 pm
OU gets its revenge on USC for the title.

Georgia can't survive the grueling sec schedule.

ditto

UhOhioHog

Quote from: jcmojica23 on July 09, 2008, 11:40:32 am
So far its Sanchez....if he cant get it done its Mustain.   Fight On!

You just can't pick the good LA teams can you?

Go Bruins!

UhOhioHog

What's with all the Ohio State hate?

I've met several Ohio State Alumni and every one of them has been cool.  They are looked upon by their rival as Rednecks and they look upon their rival as elitists. 

Sound familiar!?

drivetimeporks

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 09, 2008, 05:57:12 pm

I've met several Ohio State Alumni and every one of them has been cool.  They are looked upon by their rival as Rednecks and they look upon their rival as elitists. 

Sound familiar!?
dunno that its a part of growing up in arkansas but generally if u aint from "aroun hya" u are a yankee,  o state would be yankees

UhOhioHog

Quote from: drivetimeporks on July 09, 2008, 06:00:11 pm
dunno that its a part of growing up in arkansas but generally if u aint from "aroun hya" u are a yankee,  o state would be yankees

I agree.  I'm a southern boy and damn proud of it.  I just didn't realize so many Hog fans dislike Ohio State so much. 

drivetimeporks

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 09, 2008, 06:11:56 pm
I agree.  I'm a southern boy and damn proud of it.  I just didn't realize so many Hog fans dislike Ohio State so much. 
theres like a list ingrained in the head of people u cant like.. usc,  penn state, notre dame,, o state..texas... ucla...im sure im m leavinga few out

jcmojica23

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 09, 2008, 05:53:23 pm
You just can't pick the good LA teams can you?

Go Bruins!

Hahaha I pick the ones everybody hates

spiritof92

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 09, 2008, 05:57:12 pm

Sound familiar!?
It's not that I hate Ohio State, it's just that I don't want to see them in another national championship game for a few years.  As a matter of fact, I pull for them every year when they play Michigan (my brother-in-law is from Mich. and he's a huge Wolverine fan).

hogman

Quote from: spiritof92 on July 10, 2008, 01:35:34 am
  It's not that I hate Ohio State, it's just that I don't want to see them in another national championship game for a few years.  As a matter of fact, I pull for them every year when they play Michigan (my brother-in-law is from Mich. and he's a huge Wolverine fan).

Same. I work next to an Ohio State Alum and he lives, breathes, Ohio State football. He wears ohio state slippers and pajamas and has his entire house painted the ohio state red and grey color. When fb season rolls around, every sentence that comes outta his mouth has something to do about b. wells or ohio state related. I root for them while playing Michigan, but any other game I root for them to fail just so he'll shut up at work :D

Bryan (CHF)

So it appears the masses believe it will be Georgia vs USC, with Georgia taking the title.

Bryan (CHF)

Got to looking at my old threads from this season. Here was a prediction thread from July on who would win the National Title. Interesting to see how the actual results look against our predictions

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Bryan (CHF)

Here is how each of the teams turned out.

Clemson (ACC)     - 0 (0%) Finished 7-5 (4-4 and 4th in the Atlantic Division of the ACC); Playing Nebraska in the Gator Bowl.
Virginia Tech (ACC)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 9-4 (5-3 and 1st in the Coastal Division of the ACC; Won the ACC Championship Game); Playing in the Orange Bowl against Cincinnati.
Missouri (Big 12)    - 2 (1.3%) Finished 9-4 (5-3 and 1st in the North Division of the Big 12; Lost the Big 12 Championship Game); Playing Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl.
Kansas (Big 12)    - 0 (0%) Finished 7-5 (4-4 and 3rd in the North Division of the Big 12); Playing Minnesota in the Insight Bowl.
Oklahoma (Big 12)    - 11 (7.3%) Finished 12-1 (7-1 and 1st in the South Division of the Big 12; Won the Big 12 Championship Game); Playing Florida in the BCS National Championship Game.
Texas (Big 12)    - 3 (2%) Finished 11-1 (7-1 and tied for 2nd in the South Division of the Big 12); Playing Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.
West Virginia (Big East)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 8-4 (5-2 and 3rd in the Big East); Playing North Carolina in the Meineke Bowl.
Ohio State (Big 10)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 10-2 (7-1 and 2nd in the Big 10); Playing Texas in the Fiesta Bowl.
USC (Pac 10)    - 24 (16%) Finished 11-1 (8-1 and 1st in the Pac 10); Playing Penn State in the Rose Bowl.
Arizona State (Pac 10)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 5-7 (4-5 and 6th in the Pac 10); Season complete.
Georgia (SEC)    - 84 (56%) Finished 9-3 (6-2 and 2nd in the SEC East); Playing Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl.
Florida (SEC)    - 13 (8.7%) Finished 12-1 (7-1 and 1st in the SEC East; Won the SEC Championship game); Playing Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship.
LSU (SEC)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 7-5 (3-5 and 3rd in the SEC West); Playing Georgia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Auburn (SEC)    - 1 (0.7%) Finished 5-7 (2-6 and 5th in the SEC West); Season complete.
Norte Dame (Independent)    - 2 (1.3%) Finished 6-6; Playing Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl.
Other BCS school (List)    - 4 (2.7%)
Other Non-BCS school (List)    - 1 (0.7%)