Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who has the most exciting pregame ritual in college football?

Started by razorrog1, February 28, 2008, 10:43:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorrog1

Getting into a football mood with spring practices about to crank up, I thought of a question.
With the exception of Arkansas (I'm really biased), who has the best pregame, entrance into the stadium, or ritual in college football? I get goosebumps when I see the "A" move across the field and the players come running through it.  I love the pigs smashing into the helmet on the jumbotron.

There are some other good ones out there. Virginia Tech is really good (Enter the Sandman). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1EW5z1wdc&feature=related
I guess some folks get excited at Ohio State dotting the "i". 
I think my second favorite (behind Arkansas) has to be Hawaii's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCZ5RkhJkY&feature=related

NuttinItUp

February 28, 2008, 10:50:17 am #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:53:18 am by NuttinItUp
Top 10 pregame traditions from Rivals:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=575506

Unfortunately, most of the stuff we do is copied from other schools. (running through the A from Tennessee's run through the T, walking through the tunnel from Nebraska, etc.)

braxhog

Clemson. The players touching Howard's Rock and running down the hill is pretty cool.

razorrog1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 28, 2008, 10:50:17 am

Unfortunately, most of the stuff we do is copied from other schools. (running through the A from Tennessee's run through the T, walking through the tunnel from Nebraska, etc.)
I changed the title from "best" to "most exciting".  That's more along the lines of what I was actually thinking.  Tradition may not always be the most exciting. 

OGR69

At Auburn-how about the War Eagle circling the stadium-then diving at the 50 yd line?  Do they still do that?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: razorrog1 on February 28, 2008, 10:56:59 am

I changed the title from "best" to "most exciting".  That's more along the lines of what I was actually thinking.  Tradition may not always be the most exciting. 
Cool. Reading through them, I do like Ole Miss's tailgating tradition though, haha. Dressing up in suits, ties, and fine dresses while drinking fine martinis and eating off of fine china in a tailgating area before a game sounds awesome. (and kinda funny)

DickSonstreetDFW

Its gotta be South Carolina's dancing cartoon chicken in a skirt.

Psychohog

Florida State's flaming spear was pretty cool, do they still do that?
Never smarten up a chump.

drivetimeporks

i think houston nutt and ole miss... cranking out those last minute texts just as kickoff starts..love the suspense..

drivetimeporks

sorry just kidding HAS  to be air force baby... flyovers at every game ( afterburners at night!)
, cadets on the field.. a real falcon   taking off from  the top of the pressbox diving  towrds midfield..and the parachute team bringing the  ball in (on the rare occasion the wind isnt blowing 75 mph).. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arkjay19

It makes me sad watching this type of stuff from other schools in basketball and football.  We're in the SEC, the old group is out, we've got the money, we've got top coaches, why can't we create gameday atmospheres like those places? 

DickSonstreetDFW

We didn't copy Tennessee in running through the A.  We've been doing that for decades.

DickSonstreetDFW

Outland Trophy winner Lloyd Phillips played for Arkansas more than three decades ago, but his memories of running through the "A" remain as fresh as the morning dew.

"The butterflies are flowing and you are [running], but it doesn't feel like your feet are even touching the ground," said Phillips, who played on the Hogs' 1964 national championship team and won the 1966 Outland Trophy.

We've been doing it AT LEAST since the early 1960s and probably much longer than that.

girliehog

We're so old-school.  Running through the A while the marching band toots away doesn't get me fired up. 

There's some school that plays Thunderstruck.  That would be cool, or maybe Crazy Train. 

Also, Alabama plays Dixieland Delight and of course the old cliche Sweet Home Alabama, but it's a lot of fun when the whole crowd is into it.
If those at the end of the game had been lawn darts instead of footballs, our guys wouldn't have gotten up.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on February 28, 2008, 02:38:10 pm
We didn't copy Tennessee in running through the A.  We've been doing that for decades.
No, we copied. They have been doing it since the early 1960s (1963 if I recall). That is why they are listed on all the "top" lists of pregame traditions. (google it if you don't believe me) There are several teams that have a pre game runout tradition through letters, but Tennessee was definitely the first. (unfortunately)

DeuceHawg

It would be great to get a video of what the players see when they run through the A.

DickSonstreetDFW

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 28, 2008, 02:44:26 pm
No, we copied. They have been doing it since the early 1960s (1963 if I recall). That is why they are listed on all the "top" lists of pregame traditions. (google it if you don't believe me) There are several teams that have a pre game runout tradition through letters, but Tennessee was definitely the first. (unfortunately)

According to this site, they started in 1965.  http://www.thevib.com/thet.html

I don't buy that.  If we were doing it in 1965-66 at the latest, then we copied it immediately after they started doing it.

We didn't even play them back then.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: gwaHecueD on February 28, 2008, 02:46:53 pm
It would be great to get a video of what the players see when they run through the A.
I'd pay money to see that. I bet it is awesome!
Pay per view to see it? I bet we'd get a couple thousand at least.

John Futrall

I would say that the most exciting pre-game ritual (for a game, not a team) HAS to be Army/Navy....

razorrog1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyY8oUXaTio

Best ritual in college football.  Many love it. Some hate it. Others think it is the funniest thing they have ever heard of. 

But they have heard of it!!!!

WPS!!

DickSonstreetDFW

Quote from: razorrog1 on February 28, 2008, 03:14:59 pm

Best ritual in college football.  Many love it. Some hate it. Others think it is the funniest thing they have ever heard of. 

WPS!!

True.

I do like the idea of changing up the pre-game use of the Pig Screen, though.

IMO, its too drawn out.  The fans should call the Hogs and the team should immediately run out through the A.  If they wanted to show a video or something leading up to that, fine. 

No way in hell we should opt for some piped in music instead of what we have.

Work with what we've got, juice it up a little bit.  Our pregame is better than MOST of the schools out there.

A&M's doesn't even have to do with their entrance.  In fact, their entrance is pretty darned boring military style drumming.  Their yell practices the night before are pretty sweet.

Considering they were taking place in the same year, I refuse to believe that we copied Tennessee's running through the T.  Theirs is better known around the country, but their football program as a whole is better known and more prominent.

When I see VaTech's enter Sandman, it sounds and looks bush league.

Same goes for THAT GD TECHNO SONG THAT EVERY EAST COAST TEAM PLAYS AT THEIR STADIUMS.  ITS A FREAKING GAY-ASS TECHNO SONG FROM 1999-2000.  IT DOESN'T SOUND COOL.  IT SURE AS HELL ISN'T ORIGINAL, AND WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT, OUR BAND DIRECTOR HAS DISCOVERED IT THIS YEAR AND INSISTS ON DOING IT.

We have originality.  Lets not sacrifice that to be like everybody else.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with our pregame OR our traditions.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: mikeyg31 on February 28, 2008, 03:06:20 pm
I would say that the most exciting pre-game ritual (for a game, not a team) HAS to be Army/Navy....

havent seen the army/navy game..
in person but seeing AF/Navy was really amazing..such class..makes u have a lump in the thoat..(well at least if u arent a democrat)

hogfan064

From the places I've attended

Clemson-The Hill entrance is only special because they run right through the student section.  I've seen this 4 times in person and honestly its overrated

Tennesse-Running through the "T" is also overrated.  Plenty of teams run through letters.  To be honest I think Auburn's band marching the AU logo down the field is more impressive

Auburn-As mentioned with the UT thread, AU's band marching the logo is nice as is the Eagle flying into the stadium

South Carolina-Good entrance. The fans get really pumped for "2001" and make tons of noise for it.  Nice entrance, but once they are down 14-0 the crowd leaves

Florida-Absolutely love the Gator entrance. A gator eating some prey in a swamp is shown on the video board and then at the end you hear "The Swamp... Where only Gators come out alive"  THen the PA guy yells Heeeerrrrrrrrrre come the Gators"

Ole Miss-Nothing special that I can remember.  They put a celeb on the video board and the celeb leads them into Hotty Toddy.  I do love hearing "From Dixie with Love"

MSU-Don't remember them doing anything special.  Just lots of cowbells

LSU-The band has a great pregame and the fans participate in all the cheers. 

Georgia-Another great entrance.  "Teenage Wasteland" by the Who plays over the PA and Larry Munson talks about what Georgia football means.  The team then runs out following a giant fire hydrant(a kid you not) and Glory to Old Georgia plays. 

Alabama-The Bear talks over the PA and the team runs out.  Don't remember anything special other than that

Kentucky-Fans sing "My Old Kentucky Home" and they have a trumpet player play that tune before each horse race

Vandy-The band plays ACDC's "TNT" and then at midfield that dumb Dore mascot explodes some dynamite.  As the team runs out a Foghorn goes off.  Love the Foghorn, but the ACDC is lame since noone in the crowd seems to care

North Carolina-Some stupid pregame video is shown.  Fans are so whine and cheese up there that the atmosphere is awful.

I've also seen "Script Ohio" in person.  It's not as impressive in the stands because if you are sitting at the wrong angle you can't tell what they are doing.  But I will say OSU's band is amazing.

hogfan064

Quote from: girliehog on February 28, 2008, 02:43:50 pm
We're so old-school.  Running through the A while the marching band toots away doesn't get me fired up. 

There's some school that plays Thunderstruck.  That would be cool, or maybe Crazy Train. 

Also, Alabama plays Dixieland Delight and of course the old cliche Sweet Home Alabama, but it's a lot of fun when the whole crowd is into it.

Auburn's fans have sorta taken Crazy Train as their own. 

Monk-N-Dunk

George S. Pigton

I've seen most of the SEC and Texas, I give to AU and the eagle soaring over the crowd.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

razorrog1

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on February 28, 2008, 03:49:22 pm
Its not college football, but you cant beat the All Blacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI
That ole' boy out front means whatever he is saying doesn't he?
At the end I was waiting for Georgia to come out and whip their a**es!
It, and Hawaii's, is pretty cool though.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 28, 2008, 03:42:17 pm
From the places I've attended

Clemson-The Hill entrance is only special because they run right through the student section.  I've seen this 4 times in person and honestly its overrated

Tennesse-Running through the "T" is also overrated.  Plenty of teams run through letters.  To be honest I think Auburn's band marching the AU logo down the field is more impressive

Auburn-As mentioned with the UT thread, AU's band marching the logo is nice as is the Eagle flying into the stadium

South Carolina-Good entrance. The fans get really pumped for "2001" and make tons of noise for it.  Nice entrance, but once they are down 14-0 the crowd leaves

Florida-Absolutely love the Gator entrance. A gator eating some prey in a swamp is shown on the video board and then at the end you hear "The Swamp... Where only Gators come out alive"  THen the PA guy yells Heeeerrrrrrrrrre come the Gators"

Ole Miss-Nothing special that I can remember.  They put a celeb on the video board and the celeb leads them into Hotty Toddy.  I do love hearing "From Dixie with Love"

MSU-Don't remember them doing anything special.  Just lots of cowbells

LSU-The band has a great pregame and the fans participate in all the cheers. 

Georgia-Another great entrance.  "Teenage Wasteland" by the Who plays over the PA and Larry Munson talks about what Georgia football means.  The team then runs out following a giant fire hydrant(a kid you not) and Glory to Old Georgia plays. 

Alabama-The Bear talks over the PA and the team runs out.  Don't remember anything special other than that

Kentucky-Fans sing "My Old Kentucky Home" and they have a trumpet player play that tune before each horse race

Vandy-The band plays ACDC's "TNT" and then at midfield that dumb Dore mascot explodes some dynamite.  As the team runs out a Foghorn goes off.  Love the Foghorn, but the ACDC is lame since noone in the crowd seems to care

North Carolina-Some stupid pregame video is shown.  Fans are so whine and cheese up there that the atmosphere is awful.

I've also seen "Script Ohio" in person.  It's not as impressive in the stands because if you are sitting at the wrong angle you can't tell what they are doing.  But I will say OSU's band is amazing.

Terrific list! I have been to most of those (at least the SEC ones); Unfortunately, I was intoxicated at more than half of them so I don't remember the pre game rituals so clearly, but from what I do remember you are pretty spot on.

Bryan (CHF)

Thats a pretty good list. The cadets matching has always been one of my favorites.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Geohul

The VA TEch Video is AMAZING.  If we did that here the place would go bananas.  There's something about that song that makes people go ape shite.

Bluehorseshoe luvs HOGS

Quote from: Geohul on February 28, 2008, 04:18:38 pm
The VA TEch Video is AMAZING.  If we did that here the place would go bananas.  There's something about that song that makes people go ape crape.

Your right about that song. It's also used at Yankee stadium (i know, you guys hate them) when Mariano Rivera comes in the put them to sleep.   but watching the VA Tech video, and a stadium jumping is pretty cool.
It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.

A PLAYER, or NOTHING!!!

You need a friend get a HOG.

eathill5

Quote from: braxhog on February 28, 2008, 10:53:03 am
Clemson. The players touching Howard's Rock and running down the hill is pretty cool.

I love that one too.  It is exciting to see to me as well looks like they are about to whoop somebodys !@@
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

HOG1947

Quote from: drivetimeporks on February 28, 2008, 12:09:07 pm
i think houston nutt and ole miss... cranking out those last minute texts just as kickoff starts..love the suspense..

ROTFLMAO! Now that's funny!
We stumble across the truth from time to time but
most of us pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off,
and proceed as if nothing happened.

The art of Diplomacy is being able to say "good dog" until you can find a big rock.

invisiblehand

it is amazing to me how no one has turned an ankle or worse when they come running and jumping down that hill.  it is awesome how they run through the middle of the student section though.

El Puerco

Quote from: razorrog1 on February 28, 2008, 03:14:59 pm

WPS!!

Totally agree.  VERY original.  Much of my family is from out of state and they just couldn't believe it.

presidentMPJ

I love seeing that. Every year they have a night game where it looks like Clemson is about to whip some arse and then they remember they are an ACC team and play a heartstopping 13 to 6 football game with bobby bowden

HotlantaHog

Auburn's war eagle and Clemson's running down the hill are both great. At Tennessee, the band plays the opposing team's fight song in the pregame -- which is an outstanding, classy touch.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Gushugger on February 28, 2008, 04:16:26 pm
Hands down the most entertaining..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dQQruAfio

You can't be serious.  I want to watch a FOOTBALL game, not watch some oversized guys do their impression of the dance line on Soul Train.

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on February 28, 2008, 02:40:30 pm
Outland Trophy winner Lloyd Phillips played for Arkansas more than three decades ago, but his memories of running through the "A" remain as fresh as the morning dew.

"The butterflies are flowing and you are [running], but it doesn't feel like your feet are even touching the ground," said Phillips, who played on the Hogs' 1964 national championship team and won the 1966 Outland Trophy.

We've been doing it AT LEAST since the early 1960s and probably much longer than that.

I wish that were the case, really.  Thompson's book on the history of the Razorback Band (p. 161), says, at JFB's request, Elden Janzen had the Band form the "A" for the team to run through for the first time at the end of the season in 1970, Janzen changed it in 1971 to the basic "A" we see today. Tennessee was doing the "T" 5 years earlier.   My step-dad played for the hogs until 1969 has also confirmed that he never got to run through the "A". 

reddogjcss

Calling the Hogs is the greatest ritual in football history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where there is a hog fan or several; anywhere in the great country of America a Hog call is subject to break out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooo Pigggg Sooooie!!!!!

HoginHouston

I know this will sound like being a homer, but what can I say? I actually believe running through the 'A', the Razorback fight song, the pigs on the jumbotron, and especially the first calling of the Hogs is the best. As a kid, I remember looking forward to the first Hog call of the game. There is always something special about that. I am a big believer in two things: 1) our traditions are unique, and our pregame should revolve around them and 2) any pregame that seems special is that way because of massive fan involvement. I hope with Petrino here, that will not be much of a problem in the future.

You can't tell me that opposing teams do not get a little freaked out by 75,000 (one day: 100,000) calling the Hogs unison. That beats a dancing Chicken, a quick sprint through the 'T', or a rousing rendition of an old Skynard song any day of the week. Can't wait for the first gameday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6djsdAbqvY&feature=related
Go Hogs Go.

Dances With Hogs

ArkyinMD

COCHISE

Virginia Tech's the winner hands down, awesome song to get the crowd pumped.  Since Arkansas tends to get ideas from what other teams do, maybe we could run out to this songs intro....not sure Bobby would go for it though.   ;)

Smokehouse

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

BOAR_N2BWILD

The Va Tech video is great!!!! I have long thought that Arkansas needed to add some "umph" to the games. I mean USC has the death bell toll on 4th down, South Carolina has the rooster crowing etc. I am sure there are a lot of others but something just to get the crowd more fired up :razorback:
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Smokehouse

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 28, 2008, 03:42:17 pm

I don't know about their entrance, if they did it at the SEC championship game I was still too pumped about thinking we had a chance to notice (*spits*), but I can say that the band's pregame has to have been the most annoying one I've seen. "let's play the chomp to the north endzone! ok, let's play the chomp to the south endzone! What now? let's play the chomp to the west sideline! Ok, now we have to do the east sideline? What now? Uh... let's spell out 'Florida', then... PLAY THE CHOMP!"
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Smokehouse

I love traditions like the hog call and Hawaii's chant, because not only are they original, but they can't be copied by anyone else down the road. Schools with cheers like that will always have something to themselves.