Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you guys see the UT at Vandy game going tonight?

Started by ALLVOL, February 26, 2008, 02:02:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

What do you guys think? I'm worried about tired legs. The team got home from Memphis at about 2:30 or 3 in the morning and there were a ton of fans to greet them. I highly doubt that any of the guys got into bed before 4 and they left it on the court in Memphis. I have no problem with their mindset but when a kid is tired it is hard to play. Luckily we have the next game on SUnday at home. Anyway just wondered what you guys thought. I think it will be a TOUGH w to get. But I like our chances. 

mathhog

sorry vol, but I see you guys dropping 3 straight...

@ Vandy
Kentucky
@ Florida

South Carolina

what a tough stretch!  I see losses in the first 3, followed by lofton having a huge senior day with 30+ points for the win.

What, 3 losses in a row for the number 1 team in the nation, you say?

Here's why: @LSU.  @Kentucky.  @ Georgia even.  Tennessee is a different team on the road.  A team like Memphis that couldn't sink a FT to save their lives still had a chance to beat UT at the end.  UT is a different team on the road, because UT doesn't get the home cooking (not blaming, all sec teams get this), and without favorable calls, UT gets more fouls and less steals, leading to low scoring road games and almost (or sometimes) losses.  At home, home cookin leads to steal after steal, and fast break points rack up for blowout home wins.  Sorry, I know you are #1 right now, but your halfcourt game is pretty horrendous.  I forsee an SECT loss in round 1 (b/c pearl can't win there, i wish i knew why haha), followed by a strong march to the sweet 16, then losing by 15 or so in the sweet 16.

never fear though, even with a 12-4 (or 13-3) record in the league, followed by an early sect exit, UT will be rewarded with a "1" seed....  just like 05, when a 21-8 vol team got a 2 seed... ha... don't know what it is, maybe its bruce's chest bearing, but the media inflates y'all to better seeds and poll numbers constantly! :)

(obviously this board is pulling for vandy, so when we beat vandy on saturday it will make our own record look better, but good luck to you anyway!  sorry to be gloom and doom, thats just how i see it!)

VANDY 80
TENNIE 74

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 02:13:52 pm

@ Vandy
Kentucky
@ Florida

South Carolina

what a tough stretch!  I see losses in the first 3, followed by lofton having a huge senior day with 30+ points for the win.

Here's why: @LSU.  @Kentucky.  @ Georgia even.  Tennessee is a different team on the road.  A team like Memphis that couldn't sink a FT to save their lives still had a chance to beat UT at the end.  UT is a different team on the road, because UT doesn't get the home cooking (not blaming, all sec teams get this), and without favorable calls, UT gets more fouls and less steals, leading to low scoring road games and almost (or sometimes) losses.  At home, home cookin leads to steal after steal, and fast break points rack up for blowout home wins.  Sorry, I know you are #1 right now, but your halfcourt game is pretty horrendous.  I forsee an SECT loss in round 1 (b/c pearl can't win there, i wish i knew why haha), followed by a strong march to the sweet 16, then losing by 15 or so in the sweet 16.

never fear though, even with a 12-4 (or 13-3) record in the league, followed by an early sect exit, UT will be rewarded with a "1" seed....  just like 05, when a 21-8 vol team got a 2 seed... ha... don't know what it is, maybe its bruce's chest bearing, but the media inflates y'all to better seeds and poll numbers constantly! :)

(obviously this board is pulling for vandy, so when we beat vandy on saturday it will make our own record look better, but good luck to you anyway!  sorry to be gloom and doom, thats just how i see it!)

VANDY 80
TENNIE 74

We have 2 L on on the road all year. We won at that really easy place Miss St. We beat Gonzaga, Xavier and Memphis on the road. I guess we brought our home cooks with us... Dude your hatred is funny.

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 02:13:52 pm

@ Vandy
Kentucky
@ Florida

South Carolina

VANDY 80
TENNIE 74
I also find it funny that before we played Memphis you said we had no chance. Now that we won it is not that impressive. LOL that is great.

Adam Stokes

The Vandy game will be tough.  I will be rooting for Vandy because I want them as highly ranked as possible for when we play them Saturday, a win there will put us in the NCAA's.  That said I still think Bruce will make sure they have the Memphis game out of their head and get them playing well.  Close but no cigar tonight for Vandy, but you guys will lose at least 2 more before the NCAA tourny's.

Sow’sEar

I think this will be a great game.  Vanderbilt is one of the toughest home courts in all of basketball, and this year they have a good team.  Tenn better bring its A game if it wants to stay #1 for very long.  I say this will be tougher than the Memphis win.  However, I say...

Tenn 77
Vandy 74

Beaverfever

Tenn at vandy should be the best sec game of the year so far IMO.  It has all the makings for a big time game.  Tennessee would prove alot if they came out and won by 10.

The Realist

Tennessee won the first game by 20.  I expect TN to win this one by about 8-10.  Vandy can't match up on the wings with Tennessee.  They have foster and Gordon at the guard spots but TN is MUCH more athletic at every other position.

And mathhog, your hatred is funny to read.  Besides making your posts less credible, it is fun to read and realize how much you hate TN.  And how do you expect to see Kentucky win at Thompson-Boling when TN is undefeated there while still trying to talk about Vandy's homecourt advantage.  You want to know the last time someone won at Thompson-Boling?  It was over 2 years ago.  But please, continue to talk about how they will lose there.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

NEAHawgfan

Vandy will win tonight. I don't see the Vols losing again.....until the SEC tournament that is. When was the last time the Vols won a tournament game? SEC that is.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 26, 2008, 03:17:53 pm
Tenn at vandy should be the best sec game of the year so far IMO.  It has all the makings for a big time game.  Tennessee would prove alot if they came out and won by 10.
Id take a ten point win. But Id also take a 1 point win. I think it will be a battle in Nashville tonight. But I do like our chances.

Dropkick

I'm actually for UT but I think Vandy may win. Reason: I called my man and the line is only Tennessee -2 1/2. Sounds like a trap to me. Good luck ALLVOL.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 03:59:06 pm
Id take a ten point win. But Id also take a 1 point win. I think it will be a battle in Nashville tonight. But I do like our chances.
Oh you're right just a win would be huge.  But tennessee is 10 points better than vandy when both teams bring their A games and it would really prove alot if tenn brought their A game after the game they had saturday.  Over the past couple of years tennessee has been somewhat plagued with  inconsistencies and this would be a big step in the right direction. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: Dropkick on February 26, 2008, 04:09:12 pm
I'm actually for UT but I think Vandy may win. Reason: I called my man and the line is only Tennessee -2 1/2. Sounds like a trap to me. Good luck ALLVOL.

Cant argue that logic. It will be a very tough game but I do like our chances.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 26, 2008, 04:10:00 pm
Oh you're right just a win would be huge.  But tennessee is 10 points better than vandy when both teams bring their A games and it would really prove alot if tenn brought their A game after the game they had saturday.  Over the past couple of years tennessee has been somewhat plagued with  inconsistencies and this would be a big step in the right direction. 
Well Id love for them to be able to do that.

BrooklynRoss

All I know is that Vandy needs to fix their court. What is up with that? It's extremely disconcerting.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

elksnort

Tennessee can and will beat everyone except for the very elite in the country. Who is the very elite in the country? A team with an excellent inside game along with good perimeter game also.

The Vols look like a final four team. Can the remainder of their SEC schedule and the SEC tournament prepare them for the Final Four?

ConwayHog

Quote from: elksnort on February 26, 2008, 04:31:33 pm
Tennessee can and will beat everyone except for the very elite in the country. Who is the very elite in the country? A team with an excellent inside game along with good perimeter game also.

The Vols look like a final four team. Can the remainder of their SEC schedule and the SEC tournament prepare them for the Final Four?

You hit the key with the inside game.  They will advance as long as they get a #1 seed, provided they don't face North Carolina, Georgetown, or someone like that.

elksnort

Remembering the UNC vs Syracuse (or who was it?), Scott May was the difference in this game for UNC. The other team could not "deal" with him on the inside.

When Arkansas was at their best, they had the raging perimeter game, but to finish it off they had Corliss with Darnell Robinson and Lee (was horrible later on) Wilson.

To me, it is the same as having a good running game in football and being able to pass. You got to have both now days.

mathhog

Quote from: The Realist on February 26, 2008, 03:55:30 pm
Tennessee won the first game by 20.  I expect TN to win this one by about 8-10.  Vandy can't match up on the wings with Tennessee.  They have foster and Gordon at the guard spots but TN is MUCH more athletic at every other position.

And mathhog, your hatred is funny to read.  Besides making your posts less credible, it is fun to read and realize how much you hate TN.  And how do you expect to see Kentucky win at Thompson-Boling when TN is undefeated there while still trying to talk about Vandy's homecourt advantage.  You want to know the last time someone won at Thompson-Boling?  It was over 2 years ago.  But please, continue to talk about how they will lose there.

realist?  i dont know what your problem is.  you repeatedly say that i am "less and less credible", as if i care one bit about your opinion.  we are all hog fans, don't forget it.

second, i don't have 'hatred', i just call em like i see them.  should we heap obama-like praise onto tennessee, the team that has NEVER made it to even a saturday game in the current sec tournament?  or give props to the 'miracle' runs to the sweet 16? 

it's one thing to build up gonzaga or butler from nothing.  it's another to gawk at a school with an existing 25,000 bball arena that sent allen houston to the NBA as a lottery pick.

i don't hate tennessee.  i root for them in neutral settings.  i just dont get why you, the realist, find so much of a turn-on in the "domination" of tennessee under pearl... that has led to what exactly?  a failed 2 seed?  0-for-the sectourney? 

heck, the vols released a dvd in 05 about beating florida... their dvd was "well WE cant win a championship, but we beat the team that DID!"

allvol, good luck to tennie.

realist, grow up.

and for pearl, read this about him:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2005/03/bruce-pearl-illinois-iowa-recruiting-scandal
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=390678

Class act all the way!!!

Winner

Tennessee is a better team, but Vandy has one of the best home court advantages in the country.  Tennessee should be coming off a big hangover from the Memphis win, but in this situation I think the in state rivalry aspect of the Vandy game helps the Vols.  Tennessee by 10.

And the Vols will not drop three straight, especially since the Kentucky game is at home.  I think Florida may get them on the road though. 

40MINSOFHELL

i could careless what ur vols do, doesnt really matter who wins tonight, ill be watching somethin else...i hope you both lose

The Realist

February 26, 2008, 06:24:35 pm #22 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:26:10 pm by The Realist
Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 05:35:18 pm
realist?  i dont know what your problem is.  you repeatedly say that i am "less and less credible", as if i care one bit about your opinion.  we are all hog fans, don't forget it.

second, i don't have 'hatred', i just call em like i see them.  should we heap obama-like praise onto tennessee, the team that has NEVER made it to even a saturday game in the current sec tournament?  or give props to the 'miracle' runs to the sweet 16? 

it's one thing to build up gonzaga or butler from nothing.  it's another to gawk at a school with an existing 25,000 bball arena that sent allen houston to the NBA as a lottery pick.

i don't hate tennessee.  i root for them in neutral settings.  i just dont get why you, the realist, find so much of a turn-on in the "domination" of tennessee under pearl... that has led to what exactly?  a failed 2 seed?  0-for-the sectourney? 

heck, the vols released a dvd in 05 about beating florida... their dvd was "well WE cant win a championship, but we beat the team that DID!"

allvol, good luck to tennie.

realist, grow up.

and for pearl, read this about him:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2005/03/bruce-pearl-illinois-iowa-recruiting-scandal
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=390678

Class act all the way!!!
Calling them like you see them is not picking the #1 team in the nation to lose 2 games to unranked opponents, one at home where they haven't lost in 2 years.  There is no logic behind that pick and certainly nothing that can be supported. 
I'm not saying heap any praise on them...but picking them lose every game as you do...is just stupid. 
TN wasn't even expected to make the tournament in Bruce Pearl's first year...that is something you continue to ignore.  14-17 the year before. 
The next year when they were expected to be good but not great.  They get to the sweet 16. 
Thats all you have to go on Bruce Pearl right now.  Nothing more.  He turned a perennial door mat into the top team in the East in 3 years.  I am pretty sure if Pel does that, people here will love him and think he is great.
  You keep mentioning the SEC Tournament.  What Does it matter if you are not winning the entire thing?  Tennessee's teams have been squarely in the tournament both years by the time SEC Tourney came along where they face desperate teams such as South Carolina.  Yes, they are playing for seeding, but they are going up against desperate teams.  A let down still, but understandable, Especially considering TN's end of the year schedule. 

Also, I have no idea why you posted the 2nd article.  It is well known in TN what happened in that game, and it is exactly as Pat Ryan said.  www.coacht.com It was well talked about on there and tons of people from the game went on there and repeated the exact same thing Pat Ryan did. 

Pearl is a dedicated coach who can motivate fans and players.  You may not like that it is Tennessee but you would adore him if he were at Arkansas, as would almost everyone on here.  Hell, Pel doesn't have half the personality of Pearl but we still adore him.  I understand you truly think TN is going to lose these games, but your view of things is skewed and it is clear when you post.  Thats all I'm saying. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on February 26, 2008, 06:22:31 pm
i could careless what ur vols do, doesnt really matter who wins tonight, ill be watching somethin else...i hope you both lose
I like this guy!

jgphillips3

I would say this is the scariest game left on the schedule until tournament time.  I wouldn't bet money on Vanderbilt, but I would not be shocked in the least to see an upset.

rupert

It's snowing here in Nashville for tonight's big game,,lot of excitement because of all the UT fans here and Vanderbilt's hatred of everything UT ...I think Tennessee is just too good and too deep to lose to Vanderbilt,,,Vanderbilt has got to shoot lights-out from the three point line (and has done so before),,,,but just think the Vols are too quick and too good this time

reddogjcss

Boss Hogg

mathhog

To THe Realist, and ALLVOL...

good thing you called me out earlier.  your team really showed up tonight.

The Realist

I never said anything about this game besides I thought TN would win in a close one.  They were visibly tired physically and maybe mentally.  I called you out on the other things your saying that are still idiotic in my opinion. 
You could see going for loose balls etc in the 2nd half they were gassed.  Lofton had to sit from the 10 minute mark to the 4 minute mark because he was fading and had no legs.  These things happen where perfect scenarios combine with Memphis and then Vandy back to back. 
Childs, Gregory.

mathhog

Quote from: The Realist on February 26, 2008, 11:39:28 pm
They were visibly tired physically and maybe mentally.

they were gassed. 

Lofton had to sit from the 10 minute mark to the 4 minute mark because he was fading and had no legs

Excuses, excuses :)

At least (like you said) pearl doesn't choke in big games -- well, except in the first game as a #1 team in 99 years of Ut basketball.   oh well.

(I'm only picking on you because you've made multiple rude posts calling me out.  See you in the SECTourney, that is, assuming we play you on Friday, because we all know the limits of UTball in atlanta....)

night

arkjay19

Tennessee played like a very good college basketball team with good determination.  But they were on the road against a very good SEC rival only a couple days after a big time emotional win.  Tennessee will finish the SEC season strong and will not lose any respect by losing to a very talented Vanderbilt team.

Guys, why is anyone talking $h** about Tennessee?  Didn't they beat us by 20?  They only lost by 3 AT Vanderbilt weird home court.

Beaverfever

February 27, 2008, 12:18:15 pm #33 Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:22:32 pm by Beaverfever
Quote from: arkjay19 on February 27, 2008, 12:00:48 pm
Tennessee played like a very good college basketball team with good determination.  But they were on the road against a very good SEC rival only a couple days after a big time emotional win.  Tennessee will finish the SEC season strong and will not lose any respect by losing to a very talented Vanderbilt team.

Guys, why is anyone talking $h** about Tennessee?  Didn't they beat us by 20?  They only lost by 3 AT Vanderbilt weird home court.
I don't know man, Vanderbilt didn't even play very good and still won without too much of a fight by tennessee.  Tennessee's offense looks really bad when they are not hitting their shots.  It looks like they just do a bunch of hand off passes until someone is even remotely open (optional) and then they shoot from 3 or 4 feet behind the 3 point line.  They are a very good team but they are not great, there is just too much inconsistency in their play.

The Realist

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 27, 2008, 12:18:15 pm
I don't know man, Vanderbilt didn't even play very good and still won without too much of a fight by tennessee.  Tennessee's offense looks really bad when they are not hitting their shots.  It looks like they just do a bunch of hand off passes until someone is even remotely open (optional) and then they shoot from 3 or 4 feet behind the 3 point line.  They are a very good team but they are not great, there is just too much inconsistency in their play.
Shan Foster missed 4 shots the whole game and took almost all 3's scoring nearly 30 points.  Vandy played amazing by their standards.  You don't have him playing out of his mind, they lose.
Childs, Gregory.

Beaverfever

Quote from: The Realist on February 27, 2008, 12:31:53 pm
Shan Foster missed 4 shots the whole game and took almost all 3's scoring nearly 30 points.  Vandy played amazing by their standards.  You don't have him playing out of his mind, they lose.
Foster did but he always play like that it seems and ogilvy was a complete non factor because of foul trouble.  Tennesseee got most of the calls and just couldn't get it done.  They went like 12 minutes with 2 fgs and they took a lot of bad 3's. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 27, 2008, 12:18:15 pm
Excuses are like well you know. SO I'll give them credit they beat us. But I will also add that UT looked tired and Sluggish from the start and never really got going. I was surprised actually that they only lost by 3 after watching the first 5 minutes or so. And there is no way UT got the calls. It was a terrible called game on both accounts and ticky tack called games will never favor UT's style. I hate that we lost but I like our team and I like our chances the rest of the season.

BrooklynRoss

It's hard to tell what any team looks like playing in that wacky gym. Nobody's going to take Vandy's home record seriously until the benches are on the sidelines.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

The Realist

I honestly think Vandy should be forced to change the style of their court.  There is a difference in a home court advantage, and having to completely change the way you coach simply because of an arena. 
Childs, Gregory.