Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bear Bryant Museum...........

Started by Pyotr Tchaikhogsky, February 21, 2008, 10:58:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

idiotghos

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 24, 2008, 08:54:37 pm
Here is the point. You said "Broyles ran Holtz out, not the fans, same goes for Hatfield".

The fact is Broyles did run Holtz out and not the fans. But Broyles did NOT run Hatfield out. Hatfield ran Hatfield out.

It's been well-documented that Broyles was, as he was prone to do, dictating to Hatfield how he should run the team, and Hatfield wouldn't stand for it, even if it meant leaving his alma mater.

spiritof92

Respect the Bear....don't like the Tide.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: elksnort on February 24, 2008, 06:40:21 pm
Just a side note. I possess the helmet on your avitar that Joe Ferguson is wearing.

How did that come about?  I reember when that magazine came out; I still have the copy somewhere.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: WADHOG on February 24, 2008, 10:10:36 pm
Ok.  I guess a guy that was born in Helena, played for the Hogs, and coached them too, just wanted to up and move to South Carolina for no reason at all?  I'm not saying he wasn't offered a contract, but I am saying there was unrest on the Hill between Hatfield and Broyles. 

It's also been well documented that Hatfield was crosswise with the fans who didn't appreciate his "Jesus Wept" comment among other things. Nor was Hatfield even willing to accept even minimal suggestions concerning improving his coaching staff from his own college coach who was known far and wide nationally for hiring GREAT ASSISTANT COACHES. Not to mention that was part of Broyles' job description. And Hatfield possessed such resentment at Broyles for insisting he hire an O-coordinator that he quit recruiting (two years before he left) and ultimately fled after stating he would sign the new contract. Almost the same exact scenario developed at Clemson before he fled to Rice.

WADHOG

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 25, 2008, 11:10:58 am
It's also been well documented that Hatfield was crosswise with the fans who didn't appreciate his "Jesus Wept" comment among other things. Nor was Hatfield even willing to accept even minimal suggestions concerning improving his coaching staff from his own college coach who was known far and wide nationally for hiring GREAT ASSISTANT COACHES. Not to mention that was part of Broyles' job description. And Hatfield possessed such resentment at Broyles for insisting he hire an O-coordinator that he quit recruiting (two years before he left) and ultimately fled after stating he would sign the new contract. Almost the same exact scenario developed at Clemson before he fled to Rice.
Ken Hatfield won over 75 percent of his games while he was here.  He lost ONE conference game in his last two years, while winning the conference both years, including ten games.  His teams also finished in the top 15 four out of six years.  Here's a thought, maybe coach Hatfield thought, "I think I'm doing ok, why should I change anything?".  Here's another thought, coach Broyles didn't have a lap dog in Hatfield, and he didn't like it.  If Petrino comes in here and does what Hatfield did, what would you say if Jeff Long starts complaining or offering advice?

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: WADHOG on February 25, 2008, 11:28:03 am
Ken Hatfield won over 75 percent of his games while he was here.  He lost ONE conference game in his last two years, while winning the conference both years, including ten games.  His teams also finished in the top 15 four out of six years.  Here's a thought, maybe coach Hatfield thought, "I think I'm doing ok, why should I change anything?".  Here's another thought, coach Broyles didn't have a lap dog in Hatfield, and he didn't like it.  If Petrino comes in here and does what Hatfield did, what would you say if Jeff Long starts complaining or offering advice?

Did Jeff Long win 71% of his games over a 19 year coaching career? And have a coaching tree that looked like this? When he does let me know if he should tutor Petrino.

WADHOG

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 25, 2008, 11:46:35 am
Did Jeff Long win 71% of his games over a 19 year coaching career? And have a coaching tree that looked like this? When he does let me know if he should tutor Petrino.

I respect coach Broyles, I really do, but to suggest that he was always right because of his coaching success would be a bit of a stretch.  We did real well after Hatfield left, right?  Look, my initial post in this thread wasn't to debate another hog fan, it was honoring the tradition of our football program, which was spearheaded by coach Broyles, and retained by Holtz and Hatfield.  Coach Broyles has done more for our program than any other human being will ever be able to do, but it wasn't without fault.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: WADHOG on February 25, 2008, 12:17:35 pm
I respect coach Broyles, I really do, but to suggest that he was always right because of his coaching success would be a bit of a stretch.  We did real well after Hatfield left, right?  Look, my initial post in this thread wasn't to debate another hog fan, it was honoring the tradition of our football program, which was spearheaded by coach Broyles, and retained by Holtz and Hatfield.  Coach Broyles has done more for our program than any other human being will ever be able to do, but it wasn't without fault.

Exactly. I've just seen so much Broyles bashing lately I cannot help but respond when I see his name used in vain with statements that are not fully correct. Kenny Hatfield shouldered a share of the blame in his exit from Fayetteville.

Peace.

Hog in MO

Quote from: LRfan999 on February 23, 2008, 10:25:52 pm
love to hear the envy.  Hogs never will be, nor understand the tradition at a school like bama.  check out the records, most bowls, most bowl wins, only team to ever win sugar, cotton, rose, orange twice - bama's won the bowls at least three times.  bama is why the pac10 and big10 locked the bowl up.  bama has won 5 rose bowl.  seems they were not welcome any more - lol.  most sec championships, no losing record against any sec team.  want more.  you hog fans aint go a clue and come sept 08, you butt gonna be kicked again.  oh by the way did you 37th recruiting class check out who is #1.  count on it - hogs arse is grass.  rtr

If I could understand this I might take offense, but since I can't,  well - bless your heart.  And you might want to hide the ammunition during next year's game just in case Paw gets all riled up again. 

WADHOG

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 25, 2008, 12:23:17 pm
Exactly. I've just seen so much Broyles bashing lately I cannot help but respond when I see his name used in vain with statements that are not fully correct. Kenny Hatfield shouldered a share of the blame in his exit from Fayetteville.

Peace.
Go Hogs.  Thanks for the debate. +1