Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky may be the worst 8-3 team in SEC history........

Started by Pigonometry, February 19, 2008, 11:06:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigonometry

I know they beat Tennesee and Vandy, but they have just barely squeaked by against Bama, South Carolina, Auburn, @ LSU, and now Georgia (twice).  And have looked ugly doing it.  They may have nine lives..........

I hope we kick the snot out of them Saturday.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

40MINSOFHELL

yes this will be the year we can destroy them at Rupp Arena, the crowd isnt as loud as it used to be....please lets beat the crap out of them

Oliver

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 19, 2008, 11:06:57 pm
I know they beat Tennesee and Vandy, but they have just barely squeaked by against Bama, South Carolina, Auburn, @ LSU, and now Georgia (twice).  And have looked ugly doing it.  They may have nine lives..........

I don't expect the refs to let that happen.  I can see that game being the worst called game we've been in all year.

harmonyhog

Oliver

Quote from: harmonyhog on February 19, 2008, 11:55:11 pm
They will make the NCAAT mark it down!

They are going to have to win the SEC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament.  Mark it down!

MDH

If Pel & Crew could walk into Rupp and own it I would come unglued.  Not everyone seems to be as excited about this matchup as me, but I have been looking forward to it all season.  The return to Rupp for JP, it's just so damn cool.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

cityhog

They have a better conf. record than us.  What does that say about the Hogs?

Oliver

Quote from: cityhog on February 20, 2008, 12:26:57 am
They have a better conf. record than us.  What does that say about the Hogs?

We cant win on the road.

chiefsfan

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

idiotghos

catfanNar

LOL, I would rather win ugly than lose pretty

4razorbacksinky

I'm with ya'. I live in KY and I have more at stake than most on this board. Go Hogsk!
Fear the Tusks!

rljjr

What difference does it make that they win squeakers? At least they're winning. That tells me they don't fold down the stretch, don't lose their composure, and can hit critical free throws. That said, I hope we kick the living snot out of them Saturday in front of Ashley Judd and the rest of the blue-cladded "Rupp"ies.

Hogginitall

Quote from: rljjr on February 20, 2008, 09:02:32 am
What difference does it make that they win squeakers? At least they're winning. That tells me they don't fold down the stretch, don't lose their composure, and can hit critical free throws. That said, I hope we kick the living snot out of them Saturday in front of Ashley Judd and the rest of the blue-cladded "Rupp"ies.

The difference is that they've lost to Vanderbilt by 41 points, San Diego at home, Houston, UAB at home, and Gardner-Webb at home....to go along with that 8-3 SEC record.  They are, indeed, one of the worst 8-3 SEC teams I've seen.  They may well beat us at Rupp.  Everyone knows this team's struggles on the road.  But, that will just add to their deceiving SEC record.

hogsanity

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 20, 2008, 12:15:59 am
They are going to have to win the SEC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament.  Mark it down!

If they go 11-5 in the SEC, they will get in.  And, they should.  Dont forget, people mention that " ky barley squeeked by SC ................. . & GA(twice).  Well, The hogs did not get by either of those, or Tn. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tripod1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 09:46:17 am
If they go 11-5 in the SEC, they will get in.  And, they should.  Dont forget, people mention that " ky barley squeeked by SC ................. . & GA(twice).  Well, The hogs did not get by either of those, or Tn. 
Correct.  Ugly or pretty, a win is a win.  This is a year though that we can go there and come out with a win.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 09:46:17 am

Even if they go 11-5 in the SEC, they shouldn't get in.  They would be 17-12 going into the SEC tournament with a 41-point loss to Vandy and losses to UAB, Houston, Gardner-Webb, and San Diego.  They've come a long way, but they still shouldn't get in short of winning the SEC Tournament....and MAYBE getting to the Tourney Championship game.

Just my opinion.

returntoglory

didn't georgia and sc beat us? oh and didnt we squeak out wins against bama and auburn?

jbcarol

If you can get to Rupp, anyway, anyhow, make the trip this year.  The reception for Pelphrey should be awesome.

We have a conundrum here.  If Kentucky finishes SEC-E #2, and we see the head-to-head results of the East v. the West, there a lot of teams out of the SEC that could get left out.

Kentucky at 11-5 will be a very interesting discussion.  If they don't get it, the selection committee sets a precedent.  We can overlook an eleven win team in the SEC (overlooking a 10-win team will set a precedent.)  We may need that kind of favor in the future.

Kentucky has been at least two men down all year until recently.  They are now one man down.  Patterson did not play against Houston.  Bradley was still addled coming off of a concussion v. Vandy, and on and on. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Marc Maggard

Anyone who thinks that UK won't get in with 11 SEC wins is out of their minds......

They haven't got those wins yet, but if they do, they will play in the NCAA.

mm

catfanNar

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 20, 2008, 09:58:27 am
Even if they go 11-5 in the SEC, they shouldn't get in.  They would be 17-12 going into the SEC tournament with a 41-point loss to Vandy and losses to UAB, Houston, Gardner-Webb, and San Diego.  They've come a long way, but they still shouldn't get in short of winning the SEC Tournament....and MAYBE getting to the Tourney Championship game.

Just my opinion.
What would your opinion be if the hogs were in kentucky's shoes?

hogsanity

Quote from: jbcarol on February 20, 2008, 10:16:21 am
If you can get to Rupp, anyway, anyhow, make the trip this year.  The reception for Pelphrey should be awesome.

We have a conundrum here.  If Kentucky finishes SEC-E #2, and we see the head-to-head results of the East v. the West, there a lot of teams out of the SEC that could get left out.

Kentucky at 11-5 will be a very interesting discussion.  If they don't get it, the selection committee sets a precedent.  We can overlook an eleven win team in the SEC (overlooking a 10-win team will set a precedent.)  We may need that kind of favor in the future.

Kentucky has been at least two men down all year until recently.  They are now one man down.  Patterson did not play against Houston.  Bradley was still addled coming off of a concussion v. Vandy, and on and on. 
Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 20, 2008, 10:54:11 am
Anyone who thinks that UK won't get in with 11 SEC wins is out of their minds......

mm

I dont see how a team, in any MAJOR conference, can have 11 wins in their league and not get in.  The only way would be if they had 9 or 10 ooc losses.  Yes, Ky had some bad ooc losses, but so did the hogs, and we are thinking we should get in with only 10 sec wins? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Lard

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

BCShogs

They are still 8-3 with a win over Tennessee........and winning ugly is common in the SEC. I would sure take an "ugly win" on the road right now.

jgphillips3

February 20, 2008, 11:26:31 am #24 Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:29:36 am by jgphillips3
I am no Kentucky fan.  I am a fan of both Kentucky and Arkansas being top notch because that gives our conference a marquee game each year.  To be fair to both teams, both teams are installing completely new systems with new coaches.  You cannot sensibly expect these teams to be anything other than a little schizophrenic at times during the year while they evolve into the teams that they will be while still dragging their previous bad habits along for the ride.  Kentucky isn't the team that we expect them to be, but they haven't sunk as low as we did a few years ago. 

You know, everyone keeps saying the SEC is down and I think the only two reasons for that are all of Florida's starters being gone and Kentucky having an average year.  If Kentucky was top notch this year and we were at the top of our game, you wouldn't hear that the SEC is down.  That is how important I think we and they are to the SEC's national reputation.  The only other team that has closed that gap is Florida due to their exceptional two year run.

All that said, I hope we go up there and beat the snot out of them.  Honestly, I think it is possible.  It is equally possible that we lose another game we could have won.  If Gillespie survives (and I think he will) then this may be our year to get them there because they are getting some top notch recruits and it is only going to get tougher before 2010.  Hopefully, in the coming years the game will have the national relevance it used to when we were playing on Super Bowl Sunday and we will win our share again.  Go Hogs!

Hogginitall

Quote from: catfanNar on February 20, 2008, 10:56:26 am
What would your opinion be if the hogs were in kentucky's shoes?

I'd be praying that we win the SEC Tourney or at least make it to the Championship game to have a CHANCE at getting in the tournament.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 10:57:56 am
I dont see how a team, in any MAJOR conference, can have 11 wins in their league and not get in.  The only way would be if they had 9 or 10 ooc losses.  Yes, Ky had some bad ooc losses, but so did the hogs, and we are thinking we should get in with only 10 sec wins? 

Why is everyone comparing them to us?  I don't know if we'll be in a position where I feel that we should be in the NCAAT at the end of the year.  This team is so up-and-down that I'm not even going to try and speculate.  I think we should end up with 20-21 wins in the regular season, but who knows? 

I'm simply talking about Kentucky and their chances of getting in the NCAAT.  I don't think they've done enough to warrant getting in, when you take into consideration their bad losses (by 41 to Vandy, San Diego, Gardner-Webb, UAB, and Houston).

I think they probably will get in if they finish at 11-5 or better in the SEC.  I just don't think they'll deserve it, if they do.

jbcarol

Probably the worst 8-3 Team in SEC history was the team that finished 8-8.  If that never happened, the team that finished 9-7 and so on.

Late games count.  In his media conference, the Selection Committee chairman used last 12 regular season games as highly important.  Early injuries matter.  Making a run in the Conference Tournament (short of winning) not so important.  They are discounting those runs.  Imagine it makes their life tough.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 20, 2008, 11:44:10 am
Why is everyone comparing them to us?  I don't know if we'll be in a position where I feel that we should be in the NCAAT at the end of the year.  This team is so up-and-down that I'm not even going to try and speculate.  I think we should end up with 20-21 wins in the regular season, but who knows? 

I'm simply talking about Kentucky and their chances of getting in the NCAAT.  I don't think they've done enough to warrant getting in, when you take into consideration their bad losses (by 41 to Vandy, San Diego, Gardner-Webb, UAB, and Houston).

I think they probably will get in if they finish at 11-5 or better in the SEC.  I just don't think they'll deserve it, if they do.

If we finish 10-6, I dont think we deserve it.  We lost to App St, Providence, and OU.  We have no quality wins.  Fla fell off th earth after we beat them. 

The question with KY, is how much of their early season struggle was due to injury and a new coaching style?  How much will the NCAATSC discount those losses due to those factors. 
As for the comparison to the Hogs, If we dont win at Ky we probably dont get to 10 sec wins, and if they dont beat us, they proabably dont get to 11.  So one of these conversations will be moot.

arkjay19

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on February 19, 2008, 11:08:36 pm
yes this will be the year we can destroy them at Rupp Arena, the crowd isnt as loud as it used to be....please lets beat the crap out of them

I bet that crowd is pretty amped up for a rivalry revamped.

Oliver

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 20, 2008, 10:54:11 am

mm

11 SEC wins and an RPI of what?  People are talking like the SEC is the SEC of old this year.  11 wins in the SEC is like winning 7 in the Big East.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 20, 2008, 12:20:01 pm
11 SEC wins and an RPI of what?  People are talking like the SEC is the SEC of old this year.  11 wins in the SEC is like winning 7 in the Big East.

If they get those wins, the RPI will be somewhere among the 50's....it's 70 right now.

LOTS of teams with RPI's in the 50's and extenuating circumstances have gotten in the tournament...many without any Injury/new coach issues.

mm

Hogginitall

February 20, 2008, 12:31:54 pm #32 Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:34:21 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 20, 2008, 12:24:56 pm
If they get those wins, the RPI will be somewhere among the 50's....it's 70 right now.

LOTS of teams with RPI's in the 50's and extenuating circumstances have gotten in the tournament...many without any Injury/new coach issues.

mm

Lots of teams with a 17-12 regular season record and an RPI of 50-70?  If so, I must've been sleeping.

Sorry, but a 41-point loss to Vandy sealed it for them with me.  This late in the season, you can't lose by 41 and expect to get in.  They can't use the excuse of new coach/new system, injuries, etc. for that one.  Especially with the early season losses to Gardner-Webb, San Diego, Houston, and UAB.

hogsanity

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 20, 2008, 12:20:01 pm

They still have to try, the NCAATSC, to strike a babalnce between the importance of conference and the ooc stuff.  If Ky gets 11 sec wins, but misses out due to ooc losses, then that will send the meassage to schedule even more ooc cupcakes.  With 300+d1 basketabll teams, you can have an absolutely pathetic ooc schedule, just look at Florida's this year. 

I am not saying the should get in, but I think they will get in if they have a record 6 games over .500 in the sec.

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 12:42:42 pm
They still have to try, the NCAATSC, to strike a babalnce between the importance of conference and the ooc stuff.  If Ky gets 11 sec wins, but misses out due to ooc losses, then that will send the meassage to schedule even more ooc cupcakes.  With 300+d1 basketabll teams, you can have an absolutely pathetic ooc schedule, just look at Florida's this year. 

I am not saying the should get in, but I think they will get in if they have a record 6 games over .500 in the sec.

The message it will send is that teams that have an out of conference record below .500 and lose to the likes of Gardner-Webb, San Diego, and company need not grace the NCAAT with their presence. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 12:42:42 pm

But, they didn't beat 4 of those "cupcakes".  They lost to UAB, Houston, San Diego, and Gardner-Webb (3 of those were at home).  Add to that a 41-point drubbing in the 22nd game of the season, and I don't think they deserve to be in the NCAAT, regardless of their conference record.

kuhog

This just tells you how weak the SEC is this year. A team as marginal as Kentucky being 8-3 in conference play just proves that theory. If Kentucky played in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, or ACC, they would barely be .500.

Lets hope the SEC gets back to form next year. I'm ready.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 20, 2008, 12:52:24 pm
But, they didn't beat 4 of those "cupcakes".  They lost to UAB, Houston, San Diego, and Gardner-Webb (3 of those were at home).  Add to that a 41-point drubbing in the 22nd game of the season, and I don't think they deserve to be in the NCAAT, regardless of their conference record.

Get over the 41 pt loss.  Vandy is ranked in the top 20.  Most BB teams, especially after you get past the top 10, have a game they get killed in. 

In the end, what we think won't matter.  Like i said, if they get to 11-5 that means, almost certainly, they beat us, which, imo, almost certainly means, we dot get to 10 and dont get in.

hogsanity

Quote from: kuhog on February 20, 2008, 12:52:26 pm
This just tells you how weak the SEC is this year. A team as marginal as Kentucky being 8-3 in conference play just proves that theory. If Kentucky played in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, or ACC, they would barely be .500.

Lets hope the SEC gets back to form next year. I'm ready.

The sec is weaker than past, no doubt.  I would also agree about KY, IF they had not been adjusting to a new coach, and dealing with injuries. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 12:59:06 pm
Get over the 41 pt loss.  Vandy is ranked in the top 20.  Most BB teams, especially after you get past the top 10, have a game they get killed in. 

In the end, what we think won't matter.  Like i said, if they get to 11-5 that means, almost certainly, they beat us, which, imo, almost certainly means, we dot get to 10 and dont get in.

Get over a 41-point loss in the 22nd game of the season?  No way.  That's what Kentucky fans want.  They want it described as "an anomaly".  I say that their anomaly for the year was the Tennessee game.  We'll see what happens to them when they go to Knoxville.

They have 10 losses on the season thus far.  8 of those losses have been by 9 or more points (including Gardner-Webb, Houston, and San Diego).  You are asking people to ignore one monumental loss, which might be easier if they didn't have 4 other EMBARASSING losses.

They don't deserve to be in.

Wild Bill Hog

Whether they deserve to be in or not, this is Kentucky.  The Selection Committee will look very hard for a reason to put them in.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on February 20, 2008, 01:42:15 pm
Whether they deserve to be in or not, this is Kentucky.  The Selection Committee will look very hard for a reason to put them in.

Oh, I agree.  I said I think if they finish at 11-5 in the SEC, they'll get an invite.  It is just my opinion that they won't deserve it.

jbcarol

To be fair, at the time Vandy was riding an awfully high horse, Kentucky beat Vandy.  With that they sit one game ahead of Vandy in the SEC-E in the #2 slot.

Hogginitall

Quote from: jbcarol on February 20, 2008, 01:49:54 pm
To be fair, at the time Vandy was riding an awfully high horse, Kentucky beat Vandy.  With that they sit one game ahead of Vandy in the SEC-E in the #2 slot.

Yeah, that was their 3rd win in 9 games.  They lost 4 in a row to North Carolina, Indiana, UAB, and Houston, beat Tennessee Tech, lost to San Diego on their home floor, beat Florida International, lost by 14 to Louisville on their home floor, and then beat Vanderbilt by 6 at home.  Quite an impressive run they had there.

jbcarol

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 20, 2008, 02:07:24 pm
Yeah, that was their 3rd win in 9 games.  They lost 4 in a row to North Carolina, Indiana, UAB, and Houston, beat Tennessee Tech, lost to San Diego on their home floor, beat Florida International, lost by 14 to Louisville on their home floor, and then beat Vanderbilt by 6 at home.  Quite an impressive run they had there.

Good one.  There's nothing like breaking out of a slump than via a double OT win where Bradley played 50 mins., Patterson played 49 mins. and some other real ball players were in street clothes.  I can't recall Vandy's record at the time.  It was stellar.

Pigonometry

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 12:05:12 pm
If we finish 10-6, I dont think we deserve it.  We lost to App St, Providence, and OU.  We have no quality wins.  Fla fell off th earth after we beat them. 

No quality wins?  I disagree ---- VCU, Missouri, Baylor, Florida, and Miss. St. are still quality wins.  And losing to a Big East team (Providence) and A good Big 12 team (Oklahoma) is not the end of the world.  The App. St. game is the only one I consider a terrible loss.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 20, 2008, 04:57:42 pm
No quality wins?  I disagree ---- VCU, Missouri, Baylor, Florida, and Miss. St. are still quality wins.  And losing to a Big East team (Providence) and A good Big 12 team (Oklahoma) is not the end of the world.  The App. St. game is the only one I consider a terrible loss.

Mizzu, Baylor and Fla don't have near the lustre they did when we beat them. 

Pigonometry

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2008, 07:05:42 pm
Mizzu, Baylor and Fla don't have near the lustre they did when we beat them. 

So? We have no control over that.  They are still wins against teams from the upper half of major conferences.  They still look good on paper.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 20, 2008, 09:28:54 pm
So? We have no control over that.  They are still wins against teams from the upper half of major conferences.  They still look good on paper.

My point is that they dont look as good as they did 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Hihog

Your right Wild Bill Hog, they'll get in with 10 wins because they are who they are.