Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MSU has 4 hard road games left, hogs could finish 6-0. AND our 2 hardest games? OVERWITH!

Started by mathhog, February 16, 2008, 06:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

Overwith!

Now, we face
-LSU (i know they look better under coach butch, but for real, they are offensively anemic)
-@Kentucky (i don't care what everyone says, we all saw the 41 beatdown... ky ain't dancing)
-@Bama (3-7 sec, lost three straight to hogs, hogs won AT bama last year)
-Vandy (lost three straight to hogs, vandy so-so on the road so far.. see florida blowout)
-@Ole Miss (3-6 sec, getting drilled AT HOME to auburn earlier, if we get good refs winnable)
-Auburn (please.  if we lose this on senior day our seniors should all be suspended for the sect)

is there anyone on this board that thinks a 6-0 finish would be insane?

sure, it would be 'safe' to guess 4-2 or 5-1, or even 3-3 assuming we can't even beat the stinkers of the west on the road, but this is a manageable stretch.

i am so mad we lost @ state, we totally had them for a while -- but -- no reason we can't finish at 23-7, 12-4 heading into the tourney. 

AND, we could still win the west.  look at state's schedule.  they only have to lose 2 more.  we hold the tiebreakers with our divisional record

hawgwild child

mathhog

prediction: hogs win the west at 12-4 come season's end.

i'll bump this back if i'm right in march:)

mathhog

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 16, 2008, 06:29:12 pm
Speaking out state what does there schedule look like from here? 

@Ole Miss
@South Carolina
Auburn
@Florida
@Vandy
LSU

msu could even go 2-4

Fletch

Quote from: mathhog on February 16, 2008, 06:26:27 pm
Overwith!

Now, we face
-LSU (i know they look better under coach butch, but for real, they are offensively anemic)
-@Kentucky (i don't care what everyone says, we all saw the 41 beatdown... ky ain't dancing)
-Vandy (lost three straight to hogs, vandy so-so on the road so far.. see florida blowout)
-@Ole Miss (3-6 sec, getting drilled AT HOME to auburn earlier, if we get good refs winnable)
-Auburn (please.  if we lose this on senior day our seniors should all be suspended for the sect)

sure, it would be 'safe' to guess 4-2 or 5-1, or even 3-3 assuming we can't even beat the stinkers of the west on the road, but this is a manageable stretch.

i am so mad we lost @ state, we totally had them for a while -- but -- no reason we can't finish at 23-7, 12-4 heading into the tourney. 

AND, we could still win the west.  look at state's schedule.  they only have to lose 2 more.  we hold the tiebreakers with our divisional record

A 6-0 finish would be insane. 3 of those games are on the road. The opponent hardly matters.
I feel like $100

Pigonometry

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 16, 2008, 06:29:12 pm
Speaking out state what does there schedule look like from here? 

If you mean Miss. State, they have some tough road games left too...............

02-20   at  Mississippi   17-6 (3-6)    
 02-23   at  South Carolina   11-12
 02-27     Auburn   12-10 (2-7)
 03-01   at  Florida   19-7 (6-5)
 03-05   at  Vanderbilt   22-4 (7-4)  
  03-08     LSU   8-15 (2-8) 184  12:00 PM  

Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Oliver

It's a piece of cake from here on out for us.  We'll beat Kentucky and Ole Miss on the road.  And we'll take care of business elsewhere.

mathhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 16, 2008, 06:31:46 pm
It's a piece of cake from here on out for us.  We'll beat Kentucky and Ole Miss on the road.  And we'll take care of business elsewhere.

agreed!  i think ky is overrated.

hawgwild child

FootballHog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 16, 2008, 06:31:46 pm

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

mathhog

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 16, 2008, 06:33:21 pm
I dont know about 2-4...i say 3-3 at worst

even so, that'd tie with us assuming we are 5-1, which i think we will probably go, we COULD win 4 or 6, but 5 is more likely maybe.

seriously, folks, bama is a W
auburn is a W
lsu is a W
vandy, yes, is a W
ole miss COULD be a W... so close so many times
and garnder webb also beat ky in rupp with the same players...  could be a W

The Hog

Overwith!

Now, we face

Bama at Bama will be tough.  Not a gimme by any stretch unles they have injuries.
Kentucky at Rupp is a loss.  They are tough in Rupp reguardles of your opinion.  Ask your favorite team.(vols)
Auby handling Ole Miss in Oxford.  We should win.
Vandy will be a toss up because they are playing for 2nd in the east.  Drilled Kentucky as you said so one of your statements has a double standard.  Kentucky or Vandy, which one?
Ole Miss looks winnable but going through history as you have, we will manage to make it a tough game.
Appy State took us to the wood shed.
You need to use the current season and forget the past years and omit the double standards.  It makes it more
creditable.
Automatic RUN!

FootballHog

I say we go 3-0 at home, and 1-2 on the road. We NEVER win at the Tad Pad, and we split 'Bama and Kentucky. 10-6 for the year, which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

mathhog

Gardner Webb & Sand Diego won in Rupp

and Auburn is smoking Ole Miss in the tad pad right now....

who knows, crazy year in college bb...

DMacIsASaint

Almost no chance we finish 6-0. We will have a sloppy game or two in there and realistically I think we will finish 4-2, losses coming from Alabama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. Remember we lost to South Carolina at home and Georgia at Georgia. With that in mind, you have seriously doubt us finishing 6-0.

Oliver

Quote from: FootballHog on February 16, 2008, 06:36:36 pm
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

I have faith in this team.  They really showed me something today.

reddogjcss

WMHawgfan

Quote from: mathhog on February 16, 2008, 06:39:41 pm
even so, that'd tie with us assuming we are 5-1, which i think we will probably go, we COULD win 4 or 6, but 5 is more likely maybe.

seriously, folks, bama is a W
auburn is a W
lsu is a W
vandy, yes, is a W
ole miss COULD be a W... so close so many times
and garnder webb also beat ky in rupp with the same players...  could be a W

Not to bash you, I like your optimism, but what exactly have you seen from this team that makes you think any of these games are an automatic W?

All I have seen is an inconsistent group of players that are capable of beating or losing to any team at any given time.

prisonhog

I am not confident in this team. I say 3-3 at best. Vandy at home could be a loss. 2-4 is a possibility.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

Tusks

I think 6-0 is a very real possibility.

Bama won't be up for the game....their season has tanked....same with OM.....that leaves Vandy.....if the hogs can play one of their better games @ home....the can take Vandy.

If the hogs are ever going to beat UK at UK this is the year....they are just bad right now.

6-0 would put the hogs 10-2 the last 12 games of the year....the selection guys look hard at the last 12 before the conference tourney.

I think they have it in them and I thin Pel has it in him also.....its going to fun to watch for the first time in 11 or so years.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jgphillips3

I think we will split Kentucky and Vandy and lose one more of the remainder, probably BAMA.  Therefore, I am thinking 4-2 down the stretch.  Not sure if that's good enough to win the West or not, but all we need is a first or second place finish to get a bye on the first day of the tournament in Atlanta.  This is not a great Razorback team, but they are our team.  I am not jumping off the bandwagon after two tough road losses.  I am ready to get different players in here and see what Pel can do in the upcoming years, but this team is about where I thought they would be at the beginning of the year give or take a game here or there.  Perhaps I am just too tired to continue eviscerating a team week in, week out that is my home state team.  Not saying there aren't valid criticisms of the team, but I'm just going to support them the rest of the way out and get geared up for next year.

Ouachihog

Kentucky also beat Tennessee in Rupp. 

I don't see us winning at Rupp, but that's just me.  Bama is always very tough at home and we never, ever, play well at Ole Miss.  I remember a couple years ago when OM had like a 7 game SEC losing streak when we came to town, and they beat us.

At this point, I haven't seen anything to predict better than 3-3.  Win at home, lose on the road.  That puts us at 9-7 and, once again, our NCAAT chances come down to the SEC tourney. 

Just my opinion. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

HogMavFan

Overwith!

Now, we face

4-2. Win home ones and at Kentucky(Pel can't lose there). Lose at Bama and Ole Miss even though we shouldn't. Finish 10-6(21-9). Win one or two in SEC tourney and go to NCAA tourney as a 6 seed. Win first game to top Heath's accomplishments. Lose second round....finally get rid of Hunter, Ervin, Thomas, Townes and Hill. Thank God.

Pigonometry

It's all about match-ups and I believe that we match-up very well against Kentucky.  i really expect to win that one............

deucea729

I think 6-0 is optimistic, to say the least.  I want to believe it, though.  If we can avoid another half like we had in the 1st half today, I think it's doable - we trounced State in the 2nd half.  But winning on the road in the SEC is *never* easy, and LSU just thumped Florida at the O-Dome this past week.  So if we're going to go 6-0 down the stretch, we'd better bring our lunch pail and hard hat Wednesday night to Bud Walton.

And not to derail the thread, but can you imagine the Big Blue nation's gnashing of teeth if Pel beats Gillispie in Rupp?

40MINSOFHELL

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: deucea729 on February 16, 2008, 09:22:46 pm
I think 6-0 is optimistic, to say the least.  I want to believe it, though.  If we can avoid another half like we had in the 1st half today, I think it's doable - we trounced State in the 2nd half.  But winning on the road in the SEC is *never* easy, and LSU just thumped Florida at the O-Dome this past week.  So if we're going to go 6-0 down the stretch, we'd better bring our lunch pail and hard hat Wednesday night to Bud Walton.

And not to derail the thread, but can you imagine the Big Blue nation's gnashing of teeth if Pel beats Gillispie in Rupp?

Pelphrey will show no mercy for uk next saturday, you just watch, this might be the game, he really puts a spark under his players, i mean really gets after them

msudawgs64

Quote from: mathhog on February 16, 2008, 06:30:22 pm
@Ole Miss
@South Carolina
Auburn
@Florida
@Vandy
LSU

msu could even go 2-4

they sure could but we could also beat a downward spiraling Ole Miss team, an Auburn team at home who we drilled at there place earlier, a so-so Florida team and another beatdown of LSU at our house and a South Carolina team who is hit or miss. Vandy @ Memorial is the one that I think may be a L but look at what they had to do today against Florida.  So as easily as we could go 2-4, we could go 6-0 or 5-1, or 4-2, or 3-3, or 1-5 or even 0-6.  Ain't no gimme's in this league.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

DaveV

Okay, I don't know if you guys are just drunk or what, but why in the hell are you saying we'll beat Ole Miss on the road?

We cannot stop home PG's, period, and Chris Warren is as good as it gets, see: his asskicking in BWA. And on the road? lmao. Warren will score 40 and we'll get our asses kicked. We can't stop good penetrating guards, haven't all season and you all know this yet you say we'll beat Ole Miss who kicked our ass at home and if not for our early run on their turnovers, they'd have beat us.

We'll go 4-2 with L's at KY and Ole Miss. Maybe 3-3 depending on how Gee and Hendrix play for Bama.

Good morning.  Most likely go 3-3 over the next 6.  Could go as bad as 2-4 or as good as 4-2.  Our team wants to have an attitude but can't muster one up.  We make mistakes over and over that most 9th graders have been coached out of.  Example:  Down by 6 with 20 seconds left and working for a 2 pointer.  Down late and holding and dribbling the ball in a circle with time running out.  Leaving the middle open most of the time.  At least 2 and usually 3 of the 5 out of position and not working on any given offensive play.  Mustering up a decent defensive stand, only to stupid foul with 5 seconds left on the play clock.  Not knowing where your teammates are on the floor most of the time.  With this team, on any given possession, offense or defense, floor position is just plain luck, not a plained and united team effort.  We don't have a pure shooter on the team.  We don't have a stopper on defense, or if we do, he is so busy covering his teammates asses he can't stop from 2 to 5 coming at him all at once.  We can't hit free throws at a pace to win any close contest.  While from time to time, every player on the team shows real BB skills, it hardly ever happens at the same time and 1 against 5, plus the refs on the road usually means loss.  We will probably go to the NCAA and go 1 and done.  We usually do not play on the road.  I haven't seen an SEC team that I think will do much in the Big Dance.  TN, Vandy, KY, and maybe FL could win one if they get in.  KY won't get to go, TN should get a pansy and win one, maybe Vandy also. Any SEC west team getting to go will just be filler.  This is the year we need to be hollering, wait till next year.

The Hog

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on February 16, 2008, 10:02:29 pm
Pelphrey will show no mercy for uk next saturday, you just watch, this might be the game, he really puts a spark under his players, i mean really gets after them
and Kentucky will show not mercy of one of their own.
Automatic RUN!

NuttinItUp

Razorback88

Overwith!

Now, we face

Guys, just take a look at the schedule!  There's no reason not to be 14-2 13-3 12-4!!  I guarantee we will go at least 5-1 in the next 6, probably undefeated!

Look, dude.  We're not gonna win out and we're not gonna win all three games on the road, and that doesn't make me a pessimist.  We're having a good year and Pel has done a good job.  Stop getting your hopes up about a 3 or 4 seed.  With that said, this team does have the potential to make a tourney run.

arkjay19

It's still the SEC, anybody can beat anybody: LSU over Florida; Georgia over Arkansas; Kentucky over Tennessee; etc.

eathill5

I think we win out.  Miss St.  is just not that impressive to me.  I don't get all the espn guys on their bandwagon.  They are just not very good.  I think Ole miss will be the toughest game left on the schedule for us. 
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Dropkick

Quote from: FootballHog on February 16, 2008, 06:43:19 pm
I say we go 3-0 at home, and 1-2 on the road. We NEVER win at the Tad Pad, and we split 'Bama and Kentucky. 10-6 for the year, which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll take it. Where do I sign?

msudawgs64

Quote from: eathill5 on February 18, 2008, 02:42:55 pm
I think we win out.  Miss St.  is just not that impressive to me.  I don't get all the espn guys on their bandwagon.  They are just not very good.  I think Ole miss will be the toughest game left on the schedule for us. 

If you think that Ole Miss is the toughest left on your schedule, then you should rejoice, or read more...The sheer fact you said that leads me to believe that you have not been watching the other SEC teams, Ole Miss is a sinking ship and if they play like they did against Auburn this past Saturday this week against us, our not very good team will stomp a mudhole in their arses again. 

I tell ya though, for a team that is not very good, it does speak volumes about the rest of the SEC West, I do believe. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Pigonometry

Quote from: msudawgs64 on February 18, 2008, 08:22:17 pm
If you think that Ole Miss is the toughest left on your schedule, then you should rejoice, or read more...The sheer fact you said that leads me to believe that you have not been watching the other SEC teams, Ole Miss is a sinking ship and if they play like they did against Auburn this past Saturday this week against us, our not very good team will stomp a mudhole in their arses again. 

I tell ya though, for a team that is not very good, it does speak volumes about the rest of the SEC West, I do believe. 

By the time we get to Ole Miss, they will either be dead in the water and will ahve packed in and and we'll win big or they will be fighting for their life and give us all we can handle.  Let's hope for the former..............

Ironhawg

Overwith!

Now, we face

I would like to think we could go 5-1 to close out the season, but the way this bunch plays on the road I think 3-3 is more realistic.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 18, 2008, 10:24:51 pm
By the time we get to Ole Miss, they will either be dead in the water and will ahve packed in and and we'll win big or they will be fighting for their life and give us all we can handle.  Let's hope for the former..............

I think that has already happened, i.e. dead in the water.  The OOC schedule is coming back on them now.

eathill5

Quote from: msudawgs64 on February 18, 2008, 08:22:17 pm

Maybe you don't watch us play ole miss every year.  They give us fits no matter where we play or if they are any good.  And I agree that MS st leading the west does speak volumes about the rest of the league.  I didn't say that we were just wonderful we are not that great of a team either.  I just think state gets a lot of undue praise for winning in a crappy league.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

msudawgs64

Quote from: eathill5 on February 19, 2008, 11:33:02 am
Maybe you don't watch us play ole miss every year.  They give us fits no matter where we play or if they are any good.  And I agree that MS st leading the west does speak volumes about the rest of the league.  I didn't say that we were just wonderful we are not that great of a team either.  I just think state gets a lot of undue praise for winning in a crappy league.

sure I do, maybe you forgot the history of the Hogs playing in Starkville when you stated the Hogs had a very good chance of winning, same concept here.  I agree the Hogs did have a very good chance of winning last Saturday and have a really great chance of beating Ole Miss this time around.  We may not be that impressive but we have certainly held it together better than they have.  As for the praise, nothing anyone can do about that, write ESPN and tell them to stop.

Apathy

HogMavFan

Barring a total collapse(losing 4 or more of the last 6) , there is a 100% chance that we will make the NCAA tourney. Five or six go every year from the SEC . Who else are you going to take. Right now we are the third  (or at worse 4th) best team in the conference.

Apathy

Quote from: HogMavFan on February 19, 2008, 11:18:04 pm
Barring a total collapse(losing 4 or more of the last 6) , there is a 100% chance that we will make the NCAA tourney. Five or six go every year from the SEC . Who else are you going to take. Right now we are the third  (or at worse 4th) best team in the conference.

If we go 3-3 in the last 6 that leaves us with an overall record of 20-10 (9-7 in a conference widely regarded as only the 4th or 5th best league this year) with a best non-conference win over a team currently in the 40s or 50s in RPI.  We will clearly be behind Tenn, Vandy, Fla, and MSU and possibly even KY depending on their finish.  I assure you if it comes down to us or KY for the SEC's 5th slot, who do you think they will choose?  Particularly given their perceived generousity towards us last year.  The Hogs better leave no doubt.  If they don't win 10 regular season SEC games or make a big SECT run, they aren't going dancing.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: Apathy on February 20, 2008, 02:31:58 pm

If we go 3-3 in the last 6 that leaves us with an overall record of 20-10 (9-7 in a conference widely regarded as only the 4th or 5th best league this year) with a best non-conference win over a team currently in the 40s or 50s in RPI.  We will clearly be behind Tenn, Vandy, Fla, and MSU and possibly even KY depending on their finish.  I assure you if it comes down to us or KY for the SEC's 5th slot, who do you think they will choose?  Particularly given their perceived generousity towards us last year.  The Hogs better leave no doubt.  If they don't win 10 regular season SEC games or make a big SECT run, they aren't going dancing.

Bingo.  A 9-7 conference record would put us squarely on the bubble, and make the conference tourney very important.  A first round loss, and I'd say we'd probably be out.  That would put as at 4-6 in our final 10 games and make us probably the 6th team in a relatively weak SEC this year.  We have nothing to hang our hat on in the non-conference schedule w/ Baylor fading away.  This team needs to win 10 in conference to feel safe.
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!