Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eric Smiley (?)

Started by Highway Hog Sign, February 10, 2008, 11:55:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highway Hog Sign

What do we know about Eric Smiley?  He's from West Helena and is on the 2009 Rivals100 list.  In fact he's top 50.  Anybody seen him play?
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

kobe24

JUST TALKED TO HIM AND HIS COACH TODAY AND HE HAS HAD A CHANGE OF HEART AND HAS DECIDED TO STAY IN WEST HELENA

Table Rocker

Quote from: kobe24 on February 10, 2008, 03:13:03 pm
JUST TALKED TO HIM AND HIS COACH TODAY AND HE HAS HAD A CHANGE OF HEART AND HAS DECIDED TO STAY IN WEST HELENA

link? source?

kobe24

i said i just got thru talking to eric and coach smith about a hour ago

FBPLAYER65

This is true. Good news for the Hogs.

Table Rocker

Quote from: kobe24 on February 10, 2008, 03:19:31 pm
i said i just got thru talking to eric and coach smith about a hour ago

i know, i was kidding. i saw on the cnnsi list of top prospects that we were the only school he was considering. is this true?

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 10, 2008, 03:27:25 pm
i know, i was kidding. i saw on the cnnsi list of top prospects that we were the only school he was considering. is this true?
No.  Supposedly he is not a big Hog fan.  My guess is that the big in-state school is often listed in lieu of listing no-one.  I think we will have to do some work to get him....

hog_fan

I don't think anyone said he wasn't a hog fan. People were saying he wasn't considering Arkansas because he was moving back to wAshington. This appears to have changed and he is possibly staying now. I would say we have a solid shot if he stays.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: hog_fan on February 10, 2008, 05:14:07 pm
I don't think anyone said he wasn't a hog fan. People were saying he wasn't considering Arkansas because he was moving back to wAshington. This appears to have changed and he is possibly staying now. I would say we have a solid shot if he stays.
Response:

Quote from: Hawgballz on February 07, 2008, 03:32:28 pm
He is from Seattle WA and is moving back there.  He was only in Arkansas for 1 year so he did not have enough time to develop an "undying love" for the hogs.  He no longer has any interest in the Razorbacks.
Quote from: poohpig on February 07, 2008, 03:28:27 pm
He's moving back to Washington.  Has zero interest in the Hogs.
I'm not saying we don't have a shot or anything.  But, Smiley does not sound like most in-state kids....

hog_fan

Quote from: Hawgvillain on February 10, 2008, 06:11:47 pm
Response:
I'm not saying we don't have a shot or anything.  But, Smiley does not sound like most in-state kids....

I know he was planning on moving back, but it appears he may have changed his mind. If he moves back I agree little to no chance, but if he decides to stay then I still say we have a fair shot to get him.

kobe24

we got a good chance  cause he is going to stay with me and darius winston this summer

FBPLAYER65

Smiley and Derek Johnson will fill our DT needs nicely next class. Smiley at a 3 tech and Johnson at nose.

PorkSoda

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on February 10, 2008, 08:38:11 pm
Smiley and Derek Johnson will fill our DT needs nicely next class. Smiley at a 3 tech and Johnson at nose.
What is the difference?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Highway Hog Sign

They just need to go to work on him.  Recruit him as if he was living in Washington.  Not every player that signs with Arkansas is a life-long Hog fan, so they shouldn't dismiss him because he's not really from here.  Neither was Michael Grant, Felix Jones, etc.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

shshark00

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on February 10, 2008, 08:38:11 pm

You don't play a nose in a 4-3 D. Besides, even if we played a D with a nose, 285 lbs. isn't big enough and 6-3 would be borderline too tall.

JIHawg

Quote from: kobe24 on February 10, 2008, 08:33:32 pm
we got a good chance  cause he is going to stay with me and darius winston this summer

It's great to know we will have some great inside information on this situation.  He's the kind of stud we need on defense.  Keep us posted on his attitude toward the Hogs.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: shshark00 on February 10, 2008, 10:42:44 pm
You don't play a nose in a 4-3 D. Besides, even if we played a D with a nose, 285 lbs. isn't big enough and 6-3 would be borderline too tall.

Some teams have a nose guard in a 4-3 but it is very rare. But your right they must be a big body.

back2back

I thought something was said about Ark running the 3-4.

In the 4-3 DT's will play a 3 and 5 technique and DE's will play a 7 and 9 technique
FTS = Feed the Studs

FBPLAYER65

Petrino said we will have a noseguard.

jackflash

I don't know if we will get this kid?  But bet BP will give it is all and thats all we can ask.

wholehog92

Quote from: back2back on February 11, 2008, 01:24:41 am
I thought something was said about Ark running the 3-4.

In the 4-3 DT's will play a 3 and 5 technique and DE's will play a 7 and 9 technique

winner winner chicken dinner!

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on February 11, 2008, 07:27:12 am

I have heard discussing a recruit that played noseguard but never that we would have one.  When did you hear this or where did you read it?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HogNuttz

Playing football in Arkansas, or anywhere in the SEC for that matter, or playing football in Washington.....in winter.....outdoors.

I'll pass on Washington.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

MS_HogFan

Quotewe got a good chance  cause he is going to stay with me and darius winston this summer

Kobe, thanks for all the insight on the Helena players.  We need both of these guys.
SOOIE

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on February 11, 2008, 07:27:12 am
I think I remember him mentioning one of the recruits as a possible noseguard during the signing day presser.  Maybe it was Zack Stadther.

wholehog92

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on February 11, 2008, 05:34:38 pm
I think I remember him mentioning one of the recruits as a possible noseguard during the signing day presser.  Maybe it was Zack Stadther.

I thought he was saying that Zack played noseguard in HS, not that was the position we would have him at?  I could be wrong and just don't remember.  But I'm fairly certain that we were talking 4 man front, which short of a few stunt situations doesn't use a noseguard.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

bobcat ball

285 is not to small to play nose it's a good weight because he could still move and 4-3 defense can have a shade or 1 technique depending on the situation just not a straight up 0 or true nose.
WOO PIG

SpiritHog

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on February 11, 2008, 05:34:38 pm

It was.  He did.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

Hog_of_the_HILL

285 is definately not too small for a nose guard. I played there in high school and I only weighed 165 lbs. I went up against guys sometimes three times my size and I held my own but that doesn't compare to the sec though lol. Size doesn't matter in football all that much. I'd rather have a guy 285 lbs with quickness than have a mammoth that can only move as fast as a snail.
It was worth the wait

back2back

They're plus and minuses to both sides.... I'd rather have a really big (weight not height) guy with incredible strength than a smaller quick guy.
FTS = Feed the Studs

Hog_of_the_HILL

Quote from: back2back on February 11, 2008, 07:48:10 pm
They're plus and minuses to both sides.... I'd rather have a really big (weight not height) guy with incredible strength than a smaller quick guy.

Your right there are arguements for both sides. A quicker lineman can get off blocks cause destruction in the backfield and a bigger lineman can clog the hole and let his teammates make plays
It was worth the wait

shshark00

6-3 285 is not noseguard size. 285 is too small. You need to be 300-315 to be truely effective. Quickness and speed at a noseguard position is worthless. Noseguards are there to maintain position and occupy the Center and at least one Guard so that you have a LB roam free. You don't get tackles or sacks from noseguards. Even if 285 was ok, 6-3 is way too tall. Every center and guard will be able to get underneath the pad level and drive you backwards. A 5-10 180lb kid can dominate a 6-3 285lb kid if he is under pad level and has decent strength and technique.

bobcat ball

285 lb is not to small if he has good strength then he can hold his ground and keep guys of the lb's if he is 285 and has no strength one he won't be plying in SEC unless it is for Ole Miss and two he would get killed by the centers in the SEC.  285 to 300 is a pretty good size for a nose if I was the coach and since I am a coach I wish I had a 285 pound nose to work with.  Remember they can always put on more wait in the right program.
WOO PIG

staffhog

Kobe, good to hear about your W. Helena connection.  Don't forget us when you hear anything on Darius and Eric.

The_Hill

Quote from: fengsooiee on February 20, 2008, 04:47:25 pm
Three times your size?  I guess you were able to out-quick those 495 pound HS linemen.
Still 495 pound lineman are no comparison to the sec lol.
John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

trueRazorbackfan

Quote from: shshark00 on February 12, 2008, 10:01:14 pm
6-3 285 is not noseguard size. 285 is too small. You need to be 300-315 to be truely effective. Quickness and speed at a noseguard position is worthless. Noseguards are there to maintain position and occupy the Center and at least one Guard so that you have a LB roam free. You don't get tackles or sacks from noseguards. Even if 285 was ok, 6-3 is way too tall. Every center and guard will be able to get underneath the pad level and drive you backwards. A 5-10 180lb kid can dominate a 6-3 285lb kid if he is under pad level and has decent strength and technique.

Tommie Harris of the Bears 6-3 295
Glenn Dorsey of LSU 6-2 295

Know what you're talking about before you say that 6-3 285 isn't DT size.

PorkSoda

Quote from: trueRazorbackfan on February 20, 2008, 06:11:59 pm
Tommie Harris of the Bears 6-3 295
Glenn Dorsey of LSU 6-2 295

Know what you're talking about before you say that 6-3 285 isn't DT size.
He was talking about a Nose Guard not a DT.  there is a difference.  A nose guard usually plays in a 3-4 where a DT play in a 4-3.  When you have only 3 to take on 5 they have to be big and strong to plug up the middle and stop the run.  They are usually double teamed.  In order to take on 2 300+ pounders, it is a good idea to be 300+ yourself unless you want to get flattened.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Skillethead

That's what she said...

Dr. Payne

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 11, 2008, 12:50:41 am
Some teams have a nose guard in a 4-3 but it is very rare. But your right they must be a big body.

You can't really play a true nose guard anymore.  The NCAA won't allow you to line someone up right on top of the center.  They have to be in the A gap and even then they are not suppose to make direct contact with the center. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dr. Payne on February 25, 2008, 10:32:08 am
You can't really play a true nose guard anymore.  The NCAA won't allow you to line someone up right on top of the center.  They have to be in the A gap and even then they are not suppose to make direct contact with the center. 
Then how do you stop a QB Sneak on the Goal line?