Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only 2 from LR in our class

Started by FaulknerHogfan, February 08, 2008, 09:19:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaulknerHogfan

4- from Camden
4- Warren

Was Little Rock that down of a class this year?  What's in store for 09'?

hawgwash

I think it may have been down, but there was also one from North LR.

Boarcephus

Quote from: FaulknerHogfan on February 08, 2008, 09:19:35 pm
4- from Camden
4- Warren

Interesting.....Warren has a population of what, a couple thousand?  Camden has 5 or 6 thousand?  LR/NLR has 250,000+?  I'd wager there are more major college athletes roaming the streets in LR/NLR than anywhere else in the state combined.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

cardinalhawg

4- from Camden
4- Warren

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2008, 09:59:32 pm
Interesting.....Warren has a population of what, a couple thousand?  Camden has 5 or 6 thousand?  LR/NLR has 250,000+?  I'd wager there are more major college athletes roaming the streets in LR/NLR than anywhere else in the state combined.
Quote from: hawgwash on February 08, 2008, 09:53:14 pm
I think it may have been down, but there was also one from North LR.

The two Little Rock recruits were also from two private schools.  One would figure that Central, Parkview, Hall, McClellan, or any public school in the Little Rock area would have produced more this year.  Just those two and the one from North Little Rock.

Boarcephus

Quote from: cardinalhawg on February 08, 2008, 10:20:21 pm
The two Little Rock recruits were also from two private schools.  One would figure that Central, Parkview, Hall, McClellan, or any public school in the Little Rock area would have produced more this year.  Just those two and the one from North Little Rock.

Throw in Conway, Benton, Jacksonville, Bryant, etc and the population jumps to close to half a million or approx. 20% of the state and they still only send 2 or 3?   I think we all know what the problem is.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jkelly107

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: jkelly107 on February 08, 2008, 10:39:21 pm
The west is the football hot bed

All I'll say is that that's ridiculously wrong. You can check Arkansas's starting roster for the past few years if you need proof.

TrojanHog

I'd wager there are more major college athletes roaming the streets in LR/NLR than anywhere else in the state combined.

Yeah, that is the problem, too many of them are roaming the streets instead of going to class and working on the football field. 

Bryan (CHF)

Camden has 13k
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 12:28:59 am
Check the rosters at USC and Auburn.  Yes the LR area has still put out a number of signees especially with Arkansas.  But with the exception of the one LRC group and Cobbs' LR Fair team, LR public schools' football teams have been mostly crap for well over a decade.  There is no question that the power of the larger Ark HS football programs has shifted with the population to the west.   So the comment wasn't ridiculously wrong.

Per dollar spent and per student the 7A West has underachieved when turning out D1 athletes.

Arkansas could sign it's entire class from in state if the 7A West put out a return on it's investment.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 12:38:28 am
OK - and I credited LR with putting out signees.  But its public football teams are still crap with an exception a few seasons ago.  The 7A West's teams dominate without an abundance of D1 signees.  And lets put it out there, the 7A West doesn't have a black population of any size with the exception of FSNS and maybe Fayetteville from which to get athletes.  Per dollar spent is an absolutely ignorant way to suggest what the number of recruits should be.

Better facilities, more expensive coaches, more kids, better teams and the 7A West turns out a handful of D1 players of any race?

The only area that underachieves more than the 7A West is the Pine Bluff area.

Razorvet

If CFB recruiting hot beds were a numbers only game then we would expect to more D1 recruits out of Seattle alone than the entire state of Arkansas. But thats not the case. It about the commitment and development of the programs at the highschool level. Eventually soem schhols will either get sick of losing and commit or just dump the programs all together.

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 12:52:54 am
  That is sad and pathetic. 

The LR school district is a mismanaged mess.

AND

The 7A West has underperformed for all its advantages.

Rogers has what 5,000 students and if Bearden's team had transfered in how many starters would be on the bench?

Razorhog2006q

Check the rosters at USC and Auburn.  Yes the LR area has still put out a number of signees especially with Arkansas.  But with the exception of the one LRC group and Cobbs' LR Fair team, LR public schools' football teams have been mostly crap for well over a decade.  There is no question that the power of the larger Ark HS football programs has shifted with the population to the west.   So the comment wasn't ridiculously wrong.

Have you seen the number of kids South Arkansas put out this year? Check the number, then tell me that statement isn't ridiculously wrong. Also, if you're going to single out the LRC and Fair teams, why not single out the Springdale group? There hasn't been a team anywhere near that in Western Arkansas since 2005.

Wes Craven

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on February 09, 2008, 01:09:32 am
Have you seen the number of kids South Arkansas put out this year? Check the number, then tell me that statement isn't ridiculously wrong. Also, if you're going to single out the LRC and Fair teams, why not single out the Springdale group? There hasn't been a team anywhere near that in Western Arkansas since 2005.

Take a long look at what part of the state owns the State Titles over the past decade and then close you hole.

How many State Title has the 7A West membership won out of the last 10? Be quiet.

Arkansas didn't sign any Little Rock kids because we are full on our quota of thugs who will get arrested for fighting in bars (DMAC), getting pulled over for numerous felonies (Marcus Harrison), get caught stealing from Dillard's (Antwain Robinson), arrested for marijuana (Fred Bledsoe) or any other of the priceless moments we have had with the Little Rock Group.

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:10:10 am

Baton Rouge has a similar population to Little Rock yet produces many more high D1 players.  This year 9 of La's top 40 on Rivals were from BR and they all signed D1 with most signing with programs like LSU, Tenn, Washington, etc.   Facts are LR's public school decline has not helped Hog football.  Its actually remarkable how poor it is. 

LR's schools are rotting down, and the football will never recover.

The future recruits from that area will come from the kids that get into the private schools in the area.

I never said the 7A west didn't play superior football.  I said they had not turned out the D1 athletes in proportion to the money and population in the area.

IronHog

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 01:15:47 am
Take a long look at what part of the state owns the State Titles over the past decade and then close you hole.

How many State Title has the 7A West membership won out of the last 10? Be quiet.

Arkansas didn't sign any Little Rock kids because we are full on our quota of thugs who will get arrested for fighting in bars (DMAC), getting pulled over for numerous felonies (Marcus Harrison), get caught stealing from Dillard's (Antwain Robinson), arrested for marijuana (Fred Bledsoe) or any other of the priceless moments we have had with the Little Rock Group.

Must be mucho stress in God's country?

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 01:15:47 am

So the next DMAC, Marcus, and ARob should go elsewhere right?

NWAREDBUG

+1 to Wes for calling a thug a thug!! There are more than a few in LR

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:25:25 am
I believe the 7A West produced 7 D1 signees.  Not great when you consider that Byrne's signing with Wisconsin and Eoff's with Ark were the only BCS conf signees.

But when you look at the black population its understandable.  Ft Smith has an Afr Amer pop of around 8000 and Fay 3000.  That's 15% of LR's Afr Am pop.  NWA should rarely have more recruits than LR. 

Pine Bluff HS should turn out as many D1 players as the 7A west, but they are just a shell of the former program.

I think they are down to one jr high team.

Wes Craven

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on February 09, 2008, 01:20:32 am
So the next DMAC, Marcus, and ARob should go elsewhere right?

I don't care who they are I don't condone Battery, Theft or Possession of Illegal Substances and Driving Under the Influence. You guys need to get your priorities straight in Little Rock. That is why the Northwest part of the state often with less talented athletes beats the pants off of your teams... see Springdale, Shiloh Christian and Greenwood.

Wes Craven

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:33:07 am
Its remarkable to think of the run they had in the 80's and early 90's in producing great players- PBHS, Dollarway, WH and WC- and it nearly dried up this season.  2 star Ferbia I guess was it unless I'm forgetting someone.

Pine Bluff has a sophomore quarterback coming that will be a big timer. Remember the name Claude Johnson.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 01:30:12 am
I don't care who they are I don't condone Battery, Theft or Possession of Illegal Substances and Driving Under the Influence. You guys need to get your priorities straight in Little Rock. That is why the Northwest part of the state often with less talented athletes beats the pants off of your teams... see Springdale, Shiloh Christian and Greenwood.
I'm from Camden, so the bull you are talking does not apply.  The thing I don't like is the fact that you are willing to our bash players to make your point!  I'm glad I wasn't written off by self rightous a$$holes like yourself when I made mistakes in the past.  

IronHog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:33:07 am
Its remarkable to think of the run they had in the 80's and early 90's in producing great players- PBHS, Dollarway, WH and WC- and it nearly dried up this season.  2 star Ferbia I guess was it unless I'm forgetting someone.

It is not because the athletes are not there.

I visited the Jr High there a few years ago and the halls were full of kids that looked ready for college ball.

Their HS team is not full of those kids anymore.

Wes Craven

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on February 09, 2008, 01:36:15 am
I'm from Camden, so the bull you are talking does not apply.  The thing I don't like is the fact that you are willing to our bash players to make your point!  I'm glad I wasn't written off by self rightous a$$holes like yourself when I made mistakes in the past.  

A mistake is missing class, wrecking you car or falling out of bed. Kicking someone until you dislocate your toe, stealing from Dillards clothing department and driving under the influence while carrying ecstacy and marijuana and havinga failure to appear warrant are crimes.

Being from Camden you should know a little something about teams beating you with much less talent.

Greenwood- 1 Division I signee

Camden Fairview- 6 Division I signees

Close mouth.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 01:39:45 am
A mistake is missing class, wrecking you car or falling out of bed. Kicking someone until you dislocate your toe, stealing from Dillards clothing department and driving under the influence while carrying ecstacy and marijuana and havinga failure to appear warrant are crimes.

Being from Camden you should know a little something about teams beating you with much less talent.

Greenwood- 1 Division I signee

Camden Fairview- 6 Division I signees

Close mouth.
Wes, It is obvious that I am talking to a child or a very immature individual.  You don't seem to get my point.  Mouth closed; just like your mind!

Wes Craven

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:39:08 am
NWA HS win because

1) large enrollments and better participation
2) money invested into coaching staffs and strength programs
3) better home lives and safer less stressful environments

NWA HS's have advantages

I don't count private schools in either region as their recruiting makes them different.

And considering the Plano-like latchkey spoiled kids rep of schools like Bentonville, I wouldn't throw drug problems in the face of LR people.

Preaching to the choir. Life is not fair. Never has been and never will be. All of these things are obvious differences and football is my job. I am simply stating that the Little Rock schools don't need to compare themselves. It is not even close. There is plenty of money in Little Rock just not enough people in the programs willing to go get it.

Wes Craven

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on February 09, 2008, 01:42:10 am
Wes, It is obvious that I am talking to a child or a very immature individual.  You don't seem to get my point.  Mouth closed; just like your mind!

Facts hurt don't they. I am sure you are very enlightened.

Purple Tiger

As an LSU fan,it seems like Little Rock is going the way Shreveport has gone for LSU fans.

Wu Tang Clan

You are wrong.  I believe Keith Jackson, Darren McFadden, Antwain Robinson, Marcus Harrison, Jonathon Luigs, Hezekiah Smith, Farod Jackson, Jamal Andeson, Elston Forte, Freddy Fairchild, Broderick Green, DJ Williams, Andrew Davie, Charles Clay and Chris Harris(Chicago Bears) have all came from the LR area.  There has been a fall off over the last two yerars and that trend may continue.  North Little Rock always  has a starting lineup walking around on the streets all day.  If you had the same dollars and facilities in Central Arkansas that are in NW Arkansas, LR would produce a lot more D1 athletes. Over the last 6 years LR alone has still produced more quality players than NW Arkansas. 

ntubjr

I saw all of the PB schools play There are some good underclassmen coming up Dollarway will have 2 next year Grandy is being recruited by Ark As for the LR area Bryant,Lonoke,Vilonia,CAC, NLR and PA all have a player who will probably be recruited by the Hogs

Boarcephus

Quote from: Purple Tiger on February 09, 2008, 02:23:47 am
As an LSU fan,it seems like Little Rock is going the way Shreveport has gone for LSU fans.

I don't really keep up with Shreveport.  Have they quit supplying major college talent?

Corkscrew Johnson

Nolan addressed this issue years ago, and his answer isn't one I would like to repeat.  Not touching it. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: donewithdale on February 09, 2008, 01:10:10 am
We all know what recruiting numbers is about.  Its about the number of black athletes that participate in football and maintain their grades to be able to play in college.

Baton Rouge has a similar population to Little Rock yet produces many more high D1 players.  This year 9 of La's top 40 on Rivals were from BR and they all signed D1 with most signing with programs like LSU, Tenn, Washington, etc.   Facts are LR's public school decline has not helped Hog football.  Its actually remarkable how poor it is. 

You can't say that, can you???  ;)

I'm with you and Ironhog on this one.  The talent is there, just not on the team.  Reminds me of an analogy I heard a few months ago.   The situation with athletics in LR is like a bucket of crabs.  They're all wallering around wanting to get out of the bucket and occassionally one tries to get out by climbing up but more times than not, another one grabs him and pulls him back in the bucket.   I'm not sure you can throw enough money at LR to change things.

hoglady

Quote from: NWAREDBUG on February 09, 2008, 01:20:44 am
+1 to Wes for calling a thug a thug!! There are more than a few in LR

And of course we know NW Arkansas has NEVER produced a thug - only wonderful, perfect kids.  Guess some of ya'll would have rather seen DMac, Robinson and Anderson go somewhere else to college.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

want2be

I guess private schools helped the Pulaski Cty situation. If a family has the money that is. Most of the talent is coming out of these schools. They can pay coaches more and have more sense of school pride than it appears in most public schools.

H&D

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on February 08, 2008, 11:14:54 pm
All I'll say is that that's ridiculously wrong. You can check Arkansas's starting roster for the past few years if you need proof.

The East has better "players" the West has better "Teams".  When I was in school we had back-to-back state championships in football and only produced 1 D-1 player and he didn't even play on the second state team.  We played teams every Fri. (during the playoffs) that 2-3 D-1 players on them, just couldn't get them to play "team" ball.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

hoglady

It all comes down to coaching. Some of the best coaches have left the Little Rock School District for jobs elsewhere. The commitment to sports overall from the LR School District is really pathetic.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Boarcephus

Quote from: hoglady on February 09, 2008, 11:05:55 am
It all comes down to coaching. Some of the best coaches have left the Little Rock School District for jobs elsewhere. The commitment to sports overall from the LR School District is really pathetic.

This is just an opinion but, the only committment the LRSD makes is they are committed to doing anything to keep the federal funds coming in they get for their racial balancing act.   Our son graduated Oak Grove and I can't express our disappointment with the lack of support we got from the administration there.

Wes Craven

Quote from: hoglady on February 09, 2008, 09:51:01 am
And of course we know NW Arkansas has NEVER produced a thug - only wonderful, perfect kids.  Guess some of ya'll would have rather seen DMac, Robinson and Anderson go somewhere else to college.

For all the bashing Mitch, Damian and Norman got on here for being Springdale babies and whiners I must have missed all their arrests.

No one wants to call a spade a spade with DMAC because we all love him as a player. I haven't heard about Tuck doing anything ridiclous or Burns or Ziemba or Herring getting arrested for bar fights at Auburn. None of them have been caught stealing anything from clothing stores. Hmm. Guess the media is just biased.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 12:43:36 pm
For all the bashing Mitch, Damian and Norman got on here for being Springdale babies and whiners I a or Herring getting arrested for bar fights at Auburn. None of them have been caught stealing anything from clothing stores. Hmm. Guess the media is just biased.
ha

For all the bashing Mitch, Damian and Norman got on here for being Springdale babies and whiners I must have missed all their arrests.

No one wants to call a spade a spade with DMAC because we all love him as a player. I haven't heard about Tuck doing anything ridiclous or Burns or Ziemba or Herring getting arrested for bar fights at Auburn. None of them have been caught stealing anything from clothing stores. Hmm. Guess the media is just biased.

If those same players from NW Arkansas were raised in the same environment as D-MAC I wonder would they have the same mentality.  D-MAC got in a couple of fights.  He never has been charged with anything and has made some mistakes by being in the wrong place.  NW Arkansas is nothing like Central Arkansas where terrorist walk around the streets looking for trouble and have no respect for humanity.  With that being said as talent goes there are more players in the NFL now from Central Arkansas and South Arkansas than NW Arkansas has ever had over the last 20 years.  Camden has 3 alone starting in the NFL.

Wu Tang Clan

February 09, 2008, 02:07:34 pm #41 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:15:24 pm by Wu Tang Clan

I don't believe Keith Jackson or Jamal Anderson have ever got in any trouble.  I believe there is something much simpler than what part of the state they live in that would give you some conclusive reasoning. 

Wes Craven

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on February 09, 2008, 02:06:42 pm
ha

If those same players from NW Arkansas were raised in the same environment as D-MAC I wonder would they have the same mentality.  D-MAC got in a couple of fights.  He never has been charged with anything and has made some mistakes by being in the wrong place.  NW Arkansas is nothing like Central Arkansas where terrorist walk around the streets looking for trouble and have no respect for humanity.  With that being said as talent goes there are more players in the NFL now from Central Arkansas and South Arkansas than NW Arkansas has ever had over the last 20 years.  Camden has 3 alone starting in the NFL.

You have just proven my point. So many of these kids are a product of their environment. Thus the Central Arkansas vs. Nothwest Arkansas argument is over. There is a reason that there has been a mjaor population shift over the last 10 years. Northwest Arkansas' crime rate is essentially non existent as compared to Little Rock's. The economy here is flourishing as is evidenced by the presence of 3 Fortune 500 compnaies within 15 minutes of each other. The teacher's here are the highest paid educators in the state. Finally, contrary to what so many who whine about the Hogs playing at WMS may believe the University of Arkansas is here in Fayetteville. I would love to hear a legitimate argument other than "Little Rock is awesome" as to why anyone would chose to live there over NWA.

HogFanInBigD

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 01:30:12 am
central kicked springdale's ass when their two best teams played.

darren mcfadden is the best player to ever play for the hogs so i think little rock has done well the past 5 years.
Callin Woo Pig From Big D!

jgphillips3

In a ten year period, Greater Little Rock will produce a good number of high D-1 athletes.  In any one of those ten years, it may suck; in another, it may be outstanding.  It just goes in cycles.  Also, with Petrino at the helm expect an expansion of interest in kids playing football which will lead to even more prospects in years to come from all over the State.  Also, don't forget that sometimes in smaller communities, there isn't much else to do but play football and practice and coaching will have as much to do with producing skilled athletes as much as natural talent a lot of the time.  No need to hate on LR, NWA or Camden.  They will all produce fine Razorbacks.

Wu Tang Clan

February 09, 2008, 05:30:55 pm #45 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:33:24 pm by Wu Tang Clan
Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 03:06:48 pm
You have just proven my point. So many of these kids are a product of their environment. Thus the Central Arkansas vs. Nothwest Arkansas argument is over. There is a reason that there has been a mjaor population shift over the last 10 years. Northwest Arkansas' crime rate is essentially non existent as compared to Little Rock's. The economy here is flourishing as is evidenced by the presence of 3 Fortune 500 compnaies within 15 minutes of each other. The teacher's here are the highest paid educators in the state. Finally, contrary to what so many who whine about the Hogs playing at WMS may believe the University of Arkansas is here in Fayetteville. I would love to hear a legitimate argument other than "Little Rock is awesome" as to why anyone would chose to live there over NWA.
h

I agree with what you are saying about the differences in environment but I will take my chances with the thugs against dying of boredom.  If I was 30 and had a family I would certainly live in NW Arkansas over Little Rock.  No one with any sense will argue that the economy and schools in NW Arkansas are better than Little Rock's.  However there are still better looking women in Central ARkansas. 

Wes Craven

Quote from: HogFanInBigD on February 09, 2008, 04:55:12 pm
central kicked springdale's ass when their two best teams played.

darren mcfadden is the best player to ever play for the hogs so i think little rock has done well the past 5 years.

Central beat Springdale 30-21 in a game where Mustain broke his arm fairly early. Best two teams?

I guess the fact that nearly every Springdale player returned a year older, bigger and stronger wouldn't have made them any better in 2005 than in 2004. What a stupid statement.

All you have to do is review the numbers. Springdale DOMINATED every opponent in 2005. Central weaseled by some opponents 21-7 and the like in both of their championship years.

All the football is beside the point. The best TEAM football is played in the West. Look at State Titles and Title Game Appearances in the last decade. The living conditions aren't even a valid argument so I will leave that where it lies.

hoglady

Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 03:06:48 pm

Most of the kids I know that graduated from Fayetteville, left there after graduation. Most coming back to Central Arkansas. So apparently they preferred Little Rock to Fayetteville. Not all kids in Little Rock are thugs, just like not all kids in NW Arkansas are angels. Poverty is the determining factor in a kids environment. Not what part of the state they live in.

Boarcephus

4- from Camden
4- Warren

Otis covers the best dozen for next year in his article today and once again, nothing from the public school system in LR.  He lists a WR and a FB/LB from LR private schools, DL from Hoxie, Winston from Helena, another Warren WR, an ATH from Dollarway, 2-OL from Vilonia and DeWitt, WR from Lonoke, FS from Bryant, QB from Lake Hamilton, and the Berna kid who committed to us from Fayetteville.

miles22

February 10, 2008, 01:46:41 pm #49 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:57:36 pm by miles22
Quote from: Wes Craven on February 09, 2008, 06:54:15 pm
Central beat Springdale 30-21 in a game where Mustain broke his arm fairly early. Best two teams?

I guess the fact that nearly every Springdale player returned a year older, bigger and stronger wouldn't have made them any better in 2005 than in 2004. What a stupid statement.

All you have to do is review the numbers. Springdale DOMINATED every opponent in 2005. Central weaseled by some opponents 21-7 and the like in both of their championship years.

All the football is beside the point. The best TEAM football is played in the West. Look at State Titles and Title Game Appearances in the last decade. The living conditions aren't even a valid argument so I will leave that where it lies.

The play where Mitch broke his arm was a microcosm of the whole game.  Stanley Wakwe, arguably the 5th or 6th best player on the defense, blew by Bartley Webb and absolutely crushed Mitch.  Springdale's O-line could not even come close to containing Central's D-line.  NWA has never produced a 1st team all conference player, last time I checked LR and South Arkansas have produced their fair share.  LR had a down year, but Joe Adams and Cruz Williams are 2 of the most solid players in our class.  LR will always produce top end talent for the Razorbacks.