Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl the best coach in the SEC?

Started by NuttinItUp, February 06, 2008, 04:47:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

Quote from: DaveV on February 25, 2008, 09:27:52 am
Indiana or Tennessee Basketball?

Not a tough choice. More young talent at Indiana too.
You serious?  TN is one of the top producing states of talent for basketball.  He also has in roads in Atlanta.  He will probably pick up Scotty Hopson and a 5 star from Memphis in 09.  There is plenty of talent in Tennessee.   
Eric Gordon and DJ White are both gone after this year. 
Tyler Smith, Ramar Smith, Wayne Chism, Duke Crews, JP Prince are all sophomores for Tennessee who I don't see jumping to the NBA early. 

Indiana may have more tradition, but I feel that Bruce Pearl wants to make a lasting legacy here at Tennessee and be revered the way Nolan is at Ark or Lute Olsen is at Arizona.  Nothing he has shown says that he will leave TN.  And TN has the money to pay him whatever amount, and right now they will pay whatever amount.  Remember, Pearl stayed at a D-2 school posting an incredible win percentage for 10 years without jumping around.  I'm not sure if he is that type of coach.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: RanSolo on February 07, 2008, 09:45:34 am
Pearl will get snatched up by a basketball school soon I'm sure...
I heard IN about 3 weeks ago. Now it looks very possible.
Pittman or Bust!

The Realist

I would be really surprised at this.  Not to mention the looming NCAA sanctions at Indiana.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: The Realist on February 25, 2008, 02:54:53 pm
I would be really surprised at this.  Not to mention the looming NCAA sanctions at Indiana.
Excellent point.

DaveV

Indiana produces more talent than Tennessee. And Indiana has national title banners in their gym.

Indiana can get any coach they want.

And DJ White is not going pro. Don't be so sure Gordon is too, he needs to work on alot of stuff and I see him being there next year IF they get a coach he likes.

The Realist

Tennessee has 2 in the rivals top 100.
Indiana has 3. 

I know Indiana produced great talent but TN can hold its own.  Getting top talent to Knoxville is not a problem for Pearl. 
I don't think Pearl is worried as much about banners in the ceiling as much as getting his own.  That is used when trying to lure coaches to a school to prove you can win there.  Pearl has proven he can win at Tennessee where people weren't sure before so that doesn't apply as much.  Better facilities, can get talent to Knoxville, fan support is there, no NCAA sanctions in Knoxville and he is turning into a hero in Knoxville where football was thought to rule all. 
If you can think of a reason for Pearl to leave Tennessee go ahead but right now I'm not seeing it

Also, if DJ White isn't going pro then where is he going?  Because I'm pretty sure the NCAA will allow you to play after your senior year. 
Childs, Gregory.

reddogjcss

Pearl is good; I think Pel will turn us around in three years also. But I do like to watch & listen to 40 min of Pel ball!!!!!!

DaveV

White is going to the minors oversea's, I guess you could consider that pro.

And if Pearl can get these kids to Tenn imagine who he'd get to Indiana.

I'm not sayin he's gonna leave, I doubt he does, but I would if I was him. Indiana basketball is in a league of it's own.

LRCentralTiger

Pearl has opened the Tennessee program up to nation wide recruiting.  Prior to Pearl they were lucky if they got one good kid every now and then.  Look at his roster now.  Keeping the Tennessee kids home and getting outside recruits.  Which by the way Tennessee is cranking out high school players other than in Memphis.  He will hurt Cal in Memphis.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 06, 2008, 06:22:42 pm
nope.  not the best coach.  pearl always chokes in the big games!!!   tn always starts hot, but fizzles out...

sectourney 06 - tn wins the east #1 seed... loses to #5east seed south carolina!
ncaa tourney 06 - after getting a 2 seed, tn almost loses to #15 winthrop, then is crushed by 7 seed wichita state
sectourney 07 - loses to #6 seed lsu that was like 3-13 in conference
ncaa tourney 07 - built 20 pt lead on ohio state in sweet 16, then changed his gameplan... tn lost in one of the biggest choke jobs in ncaa history

0-2 in the sec tourney, even though they've had 2 winning seasons in the sec and won the east.....

PASS!

Thats fine. We'll keep him. I hope all teams think the same and no one comes after him. BTW Mat, was the game against Memphis in Memphis not a big game?

ALLVOL

Quote from: donewithdale on February 06, 2008, 10:02:14 pm
He was handed a talented team.  It wasn't a miracle turnaround.  He has done a nice job to keep it going.

Maybe the dumbest post I've read on a really good board.

ALLVOL

Quote from: donewithdale on February 06, 2008, 10:26:32 pm
His initial team was not a bunch of spares.  He had some good SEC level players on that first team.  Tenn wasn't some crappy program he revived. 

I love it. I went to school there and I can tell you that you sir are wrong. NO ONE wanted most of the players we got. Lofton was turned down by everybody and he was the best Pearl had. Not only has he turned the team around he took a school and fan base that couldnt care less about Mens BB and started filling the arena. When I was in school they were so bad that the only games we went to was games against good teams to see them play.

ALLVOL

The fact is that Donovon has to be considered the best. He has 2 rings period. But all Pear has done is take a school that didn't care about Mens bb and turned it around fast. Every year he has been here UT has made it to the tourny and each year deeper. That is called progression no matter how you look at it. He is a very good x and o coach and to say that Gottlieb is right is laughable. First it was UT could not play half court. Well ask Xavier about that. Then it was UT could not play good if Lofton is cold, ask Memphis and most of the first 18 to 20 teams we played. Then it was UT can't play agianst a team that is big and bangs in the paint. Again see Memphis. Will we win the Tourney? Who knows but the fact is we will be there and we will not be a team that is easy to beat. Coach Pearl is a VERY good coach on and off the court and I am very proud to have him as our Head coach. Oh by the way Gottlieb is such a tool and of all fans Hog fans should know that. He stated in his little pod cast that a team that presses and pushes cant win the big dance. Hmmmmm I seem to remember a team in the SEC west that played like that in the 90's and did pretty good. Can any of you help me remember which team Im thinking of?

mathhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 01:57:52 pm
The fact is that Donovon has to be considered the best. He has 2 rings period. But all Pear has done is take a school that didn't care about Mens bb and turned it around fast. Every year he has been here UT has made it to the tourny and each year deeper. That is called progression no matter how you look at it. He is a very good x and o coach and to say that Gottlieb is right is laughable. First it was UT could not play half court. Well ask Xavier about that. Then it was UT could not play good if Lofton is cold, ask Memphis and most of the first 18 to 20 teams we played. Then it was UT can't play agianst a team that is big and bangs in the paint. Again see Memphis. Will we win the Tourney? Who knows but the fact is we will be there and we will not be a team that is easy to beat. Coach Pearl is a VERY good coach on and off the court and I am very proud to have him as our Head coach. Oh by the way Gottlieb is such a tool and of all fans Hog fans should know that. He stated in his little pod cast that a team that presses and pushes cant win the big dance. Hmmmmm I seem to remember a team in the SEC west that played like that in the 90's and did pretty good. Can any of you help me remember which team Im thinking of?

Pearl in the postseason:

SECTourney: 0-2, losing to no-ncaas South Carolina and losing to no-ncaas LSU
NCAATourney: first year: 2 seed (yes, a freaking 2 seed with only 21 wins... guess pimping your chest on espn pays off), 2 seed almost upset by #15 seed winthrop, next game actually upset by #10 seed wichita state
first year: 4 seed builds 20 point lead on ohio state, collapses away a 20 point lead and loses in humiliating fashion, worst (point-wise) choke job in ncaa history

He's a regular john wooden, baby!

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: mathhog on February 06, 2008, 06:22:42 pm
nope.  not the best coach.  pearl always chokes in the big games!!!   tn always starts hot, but fizzles out...

sectourney 06 - tn wins the east #1 seed... loses to #5east seed south carolina!
ncaa tourney 06 - after getting a 2 seed, tn almost loses to #15 winthrop, then is crushed by 7 seed wichita state
sectourney 07 - loses to #6 seed lsu that was like 3-13 in conference
ncaa tourney 07 - built 20 pt lead on ohio state in sweet 16, then changed his gameplan... tn lost in one of the biggest choke jobs in ncaa history

0-2 in the sec tourney, even though they've had 2 winning seasons in the sec and won the east.....

PASS!

And what have we done in the past five years?  Absolutely nothing.  Before you take shots at someone else's program, you better make sure yours is in order.  You talk about a program choking, take a look at ours?  Seven and maybe more chokes this year and we are not in the big dance yet. 

Here is a real eye opener for you.  Every team except one will choke in the NCAA tourney using you twisted logic.  All will lose except one.  Oh wait, maybe two if we make it because the Hogs never choke.

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 26, 2008, 02:25:47 pm
And what have we done in the past five years?  Absolutely nothing.  Before you take shots at someone else's program, you better make sure yours is in order.  You talk about a program choking, take a look at ours?  Seven and maybe more chokes this year and we are not in the big dance yet. 

Here is a real eye opener for you.  Every team except one will choke in the NCAA tourney using you twisted logic.  All will lose except one.  Oh wait, maybe two if we make it because the Hogs never choke.

The original question of this thread was regarding Pearl.  He gave reasons why Pearl shouldn't be considered the best coach in the SEC.  And I happen to think he's right.  We're not talking about Pelphrey or the Hogs program. 

Go start another thread about how bad the Hogs program is right now, if that's what you want to talk about.  Otherwise, you should probably respond to the original question.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Best coach in the SEC - Donovan
Coach of the Year - Pearl

Sow’sEar

I think that the sky is the limit with Pearl at Tenn.  I just hope that Pel can build a team to compete with them in the years to come.

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 02:19:18 pm
Pearl in the postseason:

NCAATourney: first year: 2 seed (yes, a freaking 2 seed with only 21 wins... guess pimping your chest on espn pays off), 2 seed almost upset by #15 seed winthrop, next game actually upset by #10 seed wichita state
first year: 4 seed builds 20 point lead on ohio state, collapses away a 20 point lead and loses in humiliating fashion, worst (point-wise) choke job in ncaa history

Jealousy and hate is unbecoming. Like I said, all he has done is go deeper EVERY YEAR. Yes we lost a huge lead to OSU last year IN THE SWEET 16 and OSU made to the championship and had the 1st player taken in the NBA draft. Hate all you want but he has won everywhere he has been. He will continue to win at UT as long as he is there. You don't have to like it but the truth is the truth.

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 02:49:42 pm
Jealousy and hate is unbecoming. Like I said, all he has done is go deeper EVERY YEAR. Yes we lost a huge lead to OSU last year IN THE SWEET 16 and OSU made to the championship and had the 1st player taken in the NBA draft. Hate all you want but he has won everywhere he has been. He will continue to win at UT as long as he is there. You don't have to like it but the truth is the truth.

Isn't "winning everywhere you've been" a prerequisite to getting a big job (i.e. at an SEC school)?  That doesn't make him the best in the SEC.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 02:57:17 pm
Isn't "winning everywhere you've been" a prerequisite to getting a big job (i.e. at an SEC school)?  That doesn't make him the best in the SEC.
I didn't say he was. I think that is clearly Billy D's. He has 2 rings. But according to Mat Pearl is not worth a crap as a coach. But I'll ask you how many DII national titles did Pel win? How many teams did he take to the Sweet 16 before he was hired at Arky? Not busting him but I think Pearl deserves credit for being a top notch coach. To say otherwise is just crazy.

The Realist

I'm a hog fan but some of the bias against Pearl on here is pretty ignorant.  I like good rivalries, but refusing to acknowledge a good coach and team when you see one makes hog fans as a whole look dillusional. 
I have long thought this...Tennessee is not built for the SEC Tourney.  4 games in 4 days the way they play is not conducive to their style.  Yes Arkansas did it once, but thats just my opinion, that they aren't a good fit at that tournament. 
Also, remember Tennessee did upset Virginia in the tourney last year in a 5 vs. 4 matchup to make the sweet 16 against a 1 seed. 
And to ANYONE who says that Pearl was handed a gifted team is idiotic.  JaJuan Smith was a walk on.  The team the year before went 14-17 and lost their 2 top scoring players.  There were ZERO expectations.  What about that says he was handed a talented team?  Nothing.   

Donovan is the top coach right now because he has the rings, Pearl is doing the most impressive job RIGHT NOW with how fast he has turned TN around.
Childs, Gregory.

LRCentralTiger

February 26, 2008, 04:37:46 pm #73 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:41:02 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 02:36:54 pm
The original question of this thread was regarding Pearl.  He gave reasons why Pearl shouldn't be considered the best coach in the SEC.  And I happen to think he's right.  We're not talking about Pelphrey or the Hogs program. 

Go start another thread about how bad the Hogs program is right now, if that's what you want to talk about.  Otherwise, you should probably respond to the original question.
Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 26, 2008, 09:01:14 am
Pearl has opened the Tennessee program up to nation wide recruiting.  Prior to Pearl they were lucky if they got one good kid every now and then.  Look at his roster now.  Keeping the Tennessee kids home and getting outside recruits.  Which by the way Tennessee is cranking out high school players other than in Memphis.  He will hurt Cal in Memphis.
Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 02:19:18 pm
Pearl in the postseason:

See my post above to the original question.

Sorry about the worst choke in history mathhog.  I remember a game in Fayetteville where the Houston Cougars blew a 25+/- lead at half against the beloved Hogs.  I believe that was Sidney's senior year.  Look that one up and see if I am correct.

Hogginitall

February 26, 2008, 04:43:26 pm #74 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:48:50 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 26, 2008, 04:37:46 pm
Sorry about the worst choke in history.  I remember a game in Fayetteville where the Houston Cougars blew a 25+/- lead at half against the beloved Hogs.  I believe that was Sidney's senior year.  Look that one up and see if I am correct.

Yeah, just look at how he's hurt Cal's recruiting thus far.  And I think mathhog was talking about the worst choke job in NCAA Tournament history.  He's a good coach.  I just don't think he's great because he hasn't done CRAP in the postseason with supposedly VERY TALENTED TEAMS.  2 seeds are supposed to get to the Sweet 16.  Bounced by a 10 seed won't cut it as a 2 seed.  Same with a 4 seed.  His team last year did what they were supposed to do, but nothing more.

LRCentralTiger

February 26, 2008, 04:55:47 pm #75 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:58:01 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 04:43:26 pm
Yeah, just look at how he's hurt Cal's recruiting thus far.  And I think mathhog was talking about the worst choke job in NCAA Tournament history.  He's a good coach.  I just don't think he's great because he hasn't done CRAP in the postseason with supposedly VERY TALENTED TEAMS.  2 seeds are supposed to get to the Sweet 16.  Bounced by a 10 seed won't cut it as a 2 seed.  Same with a 4 seed.  His team last year did what they were supposed to do, but nothing more.
You know over the last two years almost every single poster on this board was ranting about Tennessee being overrated and should not be a 2 seed.  Which is it, a legit 2 seed or overrated program?

I don't think Pearl is the best in the SEC.  Donovan in my OPINION holds that title.  Vandy's coach is good (can't recall his name).  He does a lot with what he is able to recruit.

Chism was on Cal's radar at one point.  Prince is from the Memphis area but went to Arizona and now at Tennessee.

Nashville Fan

February 26, 2008, 04:58:26 pm #76 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:01:13 pm by Nashville Fan
Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 01:41:07 pm
Lofton was turned down by everybody and he was the best Pearl had.

Stan Health turned him down. Pearl is the best in the coach in the SEC right now. Donavan just had a better system and assistant coaches.
Pittman or Bust!

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 26, 2008, 04:55:47 pm
You know over the last two years almost every single poster on this board was ranting about Tennessee being overrated and should not be a 2 seed.  Which is it, a legit 2 seed or overrated program?

I don't think Pearl is the best in the SEC.  Donovan in my OPINION holds that title.  Vandy's coach is good (can't recall his name).  He does a lot with what he is able to recruit.

Kevin Stallings is Vandy's coach.   And yes, I think he is a better coach than Pearl.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 26, 2008, 04:58:26 pm
Stan Health turned him down. Pearl is the best in the coach in the SEC right now. Donavan just has a better system.

Isn't a coach's system part of their worth as a coach?  If Donovan has a more successful system (i.e. produces more wins/success), he's a better coach.

Nashville Fan

February 26, 2008, 05:09:09 pm #79 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:13:14 pm by Nashville Fan
Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 05:02:01 pm
Isn't a coach's system part of their worth as a coach?  If Donovan has a more successful system (i.e. produces more wins/success), he's a better coach.
Yes. By coach, I mean, Coach = X & O / game management and player development. CEO = system. ie Calipari = system.

Donavan learned his system from one of the best and is okay at calling a game. It will take him a while to retool after losing his staff. Pearl is a better practice and game day coach than Stallings and Donovan.
Pittman or Bust!

Hogginitall

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 26, 2008, 05:09:09 pm
Yes. By coach, I mean, Coach = X & O / game management and player development. CEO = system. ie Calipari = system.

Donavan learned his system from one of the best and is okay at calling a game. It will take him a while to retool after losing his staff. Pearl is a better practice and game day coach than Stallings and Donovan.

I guess I just disagree.

Nashville Fan

February 26, 2008, 05:22:28 pm #81 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:33:13 pm by Nashville Fan
Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 05:13:54 pm
I guess I just disagree.

Your choice.

Bruce Pearl (4) v FL (1)
Bruce Pearl (4) v VU (1)

He has beat FL 4 to 1 and Vandy 4 to 1 with only 1 or 2 guys that could even play for VU or FL.

I think Pearl has a winning record against every team except KY
Pittman or Bust!

mathhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 02:49:42 pm
Quote from: The Realist on February 26, 2008, 03:50:09 pm
I'm a hog fan but some of the bias against Pearl on here is pretty ignorant.  I like good rivalries, but refusing to acknowledge a good coach and team when you see one makes hog fans as a whole look dillusional. 
I have long thought this...Tennessee is not built for the SEC Tourney.  4 games in 4 days the way they play is not conducive to their style.  Yes Arkansas did it once, but thats just my opinion, that they aren't a good fit at that tournament. 
Also, remember Tennessee did upset Virginia in the tourney last year in a 5 vs. 4 matchup to make the sweet 16 against a 1 seed. 
And to ANYONE who says that Pearl was handed a gifted team is idiotic.  JaJuan Smith was a walk on.  The team the year before went 14-17 and lost their 2 top scoring players.  There were ZERO expectations.  What about that says he was handed a talented team?  Nothing.  

Donovan is the top coach right now because he has the rings, Pearl is doing the most impressive job RIGHT NOW with how fast he has turned TN around.
Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 26, 2008, 02:25:47 pm

It's nice that some of you are all taking shots at me now.  i dont know what your problem is.  you repeatedly say that i am "less and less credible", as if i care one bit about your opinion.  we are all hog fans, don't forget it.

second, i don't have 'hatred', i just call em like i see them.  should we heap obama-like praise onto tennessee, the team that has NEVER made it to even a saturday game in the current sec tournament?  or give props to the 'miracle' runs to the sweet 16? 

it's one thing to build up gonzaga or butler from nothing.  it's another to gawk at a school with an existing 25,000 bball arena that sent allen houston to the NBA as a lottery pick.

i don't hate tennessee.  i root for them in neutral settings.  i just dont get why you, the realist, find so much of a turn-on in the "domination" of tennessee under pearl... that has led to what exactly?  a failed 2 seed?  0-for-the sectourney? 

heck, the vols released a dvd in 05 about beating florida... their dvd was "well WE cant win a championship, but we beat the team that DID!"

to the vols fans, good luck to tennie.  to the rest, grow up.

and for pearl, read this about him:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2005/03/bruce-pearl-illinois-iowa-recruiting-scandal
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=390678

Class act all the way!!!

Hogginitall

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 26, 2008, 05:22:28 pm
Your choice.

Bruce Pearl (4) v FL (1)
Bruce Pearl (4) v VU (1)

He has beat FL 4 to 1 and Vandy 4 to 1 with only 1 or 2 guys that could even play for VU or FL.

I think Pearl has a winning record against every team except KY

And he has one Sweet 16 as a #4 seed and only made it to the round of 32 with a #2 seed to show for all that winning at Tennessee.  What does Florida have?  Stallings has led VANDERBILT to 2 Sweet 16's and looks like he very possibly could get a 3rd this year. 

40MINSOFHELL

mathhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2008, 01:29:20 pm
Thats fine. We'll keep him. I hope all teams think the same and no one comes after him. BTW Mat, was the game against Memphis in Memphis not a big game?

LOL!  Add to bruce's "CHOKING" Accomplishments, "Shortest time as a #1 seed in the history of the AP poll"

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 11:34:32 pm
LOL!  Add to bruce's "CHOKING" Accomplishments, "Shortest time as a #1 seed in the history of the AP poll"

At least they know where it is at.  We are clueless at Arkansas with all the bad coaching we have been through.  Football and basketball.

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 27, 2008, 08:39:50 am
At least they know where it is at.  We are clueless at Arkansas with all the bad coaching we have been through.  Football and basketball.

Again with the comparison to Arkansas.  We're not saying that Tennessee is worse than Arkansas or has been in the recent past.  We're saying that Pearl is not the best coach in the SEC and that he seems to not be able to do anything in the postseason.

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 05:38:32 pm
It's nice that some of you are all taking shots at me now.  i dont know what your problem is.  you repeatedly say that i am "less and less credible", as if i care one bit about your opinion.  we are all hog fans, don't forget it.

second, i don't have 'hatred', i just call em like i see them.  should we heap obama-like praise onto tennessee, the team that has NEVER made it to even a saturday game in the current sec tournament?  or give props to the 'miracle' runs to the sweet 16? 

it's one thing to build up gonzaga or butler from nothing.  it's another to gawk at a school with an existing 25,000 bball arena that sent allen houston to the NBA as a lottery pick.

i don't hate tennessee.  i root for them in neutral settings.  i just dont get why you, the realist, find so much of a turn-on in the "domination" of tennessee under pearl... that has led to what exactly?  a failed 2 seed?  0-for-the sectourney? 

heck, the vols released a dvd in 05 about beating florida... their dvd was "well WE cant win a championship, but we beat the team that DID!"

to the vols fans, good luck to tennie.  to the rest, grow up.

and for pearl, read this about him:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2005/03/bruce-pearl-illinois-iowa-recruiting-scandal
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=390678

Class act all the way!!!

You just cemented what I thought. I have a ton of respect for the Hog fans Ive met. When I went to Fayetteville I saw classy fans and was treated very well before and after the game. When I met up with Hog fans in Kville this past season I met some of the same folks I met in Ar and a slew of new ones and my opinion of Hog fans is and was very positive and the Hogs remain my SEC west team. But you are more of a bammer mentality fan. Blame the guy who reported the crime not the criminal. It is a shame that all schools have to have fans that are a total embarassment.

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on February 26, 2008, 11:34:32 pm

I feel VERY comfortable with our team right now. We stomped them by 20 in Kville and on the worst shooting night of the year they beat us by 3. I'll take it.

PeytonManningSUCKS

That was vandy that put out the video after beating fla.  They did it after cutler beat the vols in football too.  They are on the rise, but they certainly don't "act like they've been there before."

ALLVOL

Quote from: RanSolo on February 27, 2008, 10:03:24 am
That was vandy that put out the video after beating fla.  They did it after cutler beat the vols in football too.  They are on the rise, but they certainly don't "act like they've been there before."

Your are correct.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 27, 2008, 10:07:43 am
Your are correct.
The hogs played Vandy the game after they beat fla last year and they served all their cokes in cups that said "Giant Killers".  I fed my dogs with one of those cups this whole last year until it got chewed up by my pup.  Now I have a Rupp cup to feed the dogs with.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 27, 2008, 09:30:46 am
Again with the comparison to Arkansas.  We're not saying that Tennessee is worse than Arkansas or has been in the recent past.  We're saying that Pearl is not the best coach in the SEC and that he seems to not be able to do anything in the postseason.
So?

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 26, 2008, 05:47:53 pm
And he has one Sweet 16 as a #4 seed and only made it to the round of 32 with a #2 seed to show for all that winning at Tennessee.  What does Florida have?  Stallings has led VANDERBILT to 2 Sweet 16's and looks like he very possibly could get a 3rd this year. 
Did you watch the game last night? Vandy has a much better team, yet TN was very competititve. For one game, Pearl is tougher to beat than Donovan or Stallings. When you start playing games back to back, depth of team talent becomes more of a deciding factor.
Pittman or Bust!

eathill5

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 27, 2008, 01:22:04 pm
Did you watch the game last night? Vandy has a much better team, yet TN was very competititve. For one game, Pearl is tougher to beat than Donovan or Stallings. When you start playing games back to back, depth of team talent becomes more of a deciding factor.

Are you out of your damn mind? Vandy has a better team than Tenn?  That is ridiculous, yeah vandy beat Tenn at home, but if you think they have better talent or a better team than Tenn you have no clue.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 27, 2008, 01:01:57 pm
So?

So, why do you keep bringing up where Arkansas stands in relation to Tennessee?  We're talking about whether or not Bruce Pearl is the best coach in the SEC.  This has nothing to do with Arkansas.

And yeah, Vanderbilt is not nearly as talented as Tennessee, yet Stallings coached his team to a win against #1 ranked Tennessee.  Tennessee is one of the deepest teams in the country. 

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 27, 2008, 01:56:45 pm
So, why do you keep bringing up where Arkansas stands in relation to Tennessee?  We're talking about whether or not Bruce Pearl is the best coach in the SEC.  This has nothing to do with Arkansas.

And yeah, Vanderbilt is not nearly as talented as Tennessee, yet Stallings coached his team to a win against #1 ranked Tennessee.  Tennessee is one of the deepest teams in the country. 
I find it ironic you and marhhog keep comparing everything to Tennessee.  This is Hogville.net not Volville.net.

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 27, 2008, 02:36:19 pm
I find it ironic you and marhhog keep comparing everything to Tennessee.  This is Hogville.net not Volville.net.

Take a look at the title of the thread.  "Bruce Pearl the best coach in the SEC?"  I do not see where it asks "Bruce Pearl the best coach in the SEC because Arkansas is not as good as Tennesee?"

I'm the one that is on point, you're the one that is off-topic.

Hogginitall

Neither mathhog, nor I, started this thread.  We're just responding with reasons why he should not be considered the best coach in the SEC.  If you think that Arkansas not being good over the past decade has something to do with how good of a coach Bruce Pearl is, then I feel sorry for you.