Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl the best coach in the SEC?

Started by NuttinItUp, February 06, 2008, 04:47:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

The way he has turned that Tennessee program around in 3 years is what we should be striving for with Pelphrey. I kind of like that Pearl is a little bit crazy too.

spudhog

well, he can't be the best since we have a two time defending national champ still ruling the roost. but, he might be the 2nd best. he's crazy but he's effective. will be interesting to see how he does without the conference's all time leading 3 point shooter. he adjust well and he's got a legitimate shot for a final 4 run.

mathhog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 06, 2008, 04:47:36 pm
The way he has turned that Tennessee program around in 3 years is what we should be striving for with Pelphrey. I kind of like that Pearl is a little bit crazy too.

nope.  not the best coach.  pearl always chokes in the big games!!!   tn always starts hot, but fizzles out...

sectourney 06 - tn wins the east #1 seed... loses to #5east seed south carolina!
ncaa tourney 06 - after getting a 2 seed, tn almost loses to #15 winthrop, then is crushed by 7 seed wichita state
sectourney 07 - loses to #6 seed lsu that was like 3-13 in conference
ncaa tourney 07 - built 20 pt lead on ohio state in sweet 16, then changed his gameplan... tn lost in one of the biggest choke jobs in ncaa history

0-2 in the sec tourney, even though they've had 2 winning seasons in the sec and won the east.....

PASS!

Pigonometry

No!  And he is certainly not the best dressed!
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

MICHAELSPAPPY

I don't think so. My vote goes for the  guy at Vandy. He gets a lot more done with a lot less to work with.

idiotghos

Hard to argue against Donovan.

That said, I think Andy Kennedy will go down as a legend SOMEWHERE when it's all said and done.

mathhog

Quote from: idiotghos on February 06, 2008, 06:58:55 pm
Hard to argue against Donovan.

That said, I think Andy Kennedy will go down as a legend SOMEWHERE when it's all said and done.

agreed.  i like andy.... he'd be my next choice after pel.

The Realist

Bruce Pearl is going to have a huge recruiting year in 2009.  If he can recruit big, he looks to stay near the top with his style as long as he has players like he does now that can always hit the 3.  JaJuan Smith actually has a higher 3 point % than Lofton this year. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: mathhog on February 06, 2008, 07:08:23 pm
agreed.  i like andy.... he'd be my next choice after pel.

I really think it will be Rob Evans who will be our next head coach, and let's face it.  Pel will go to Kentucky if offered.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Realist on February 06, 2008, 08:26:17 pm
Bruce Pearl is going to have a huge recruiting year in 2009.  If he can recruit big, he looks to stay near the top with his style as long as he has players like he does now that can always hit the 3.  JaJuan Smith actually has a higher 3 point % than Lofton this year. 

TN has been in some really tight games this year.  If their 3pt % is really high, all that tells me is that they will turn up cold from the perimeter at some key stage of the tourney.  It just usually seems to turn out that way.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

LRCentralTiger

I heard Jimmy say Pearl never played college basketball.  If that is true not bad.  Shows he learns his lessons.

Quote from: mathhog on February 06, 2008, 06:22:42 pm
nope.  not the best coach.  pearl always chokes in the big games!!!   tn always starts hot, but fizzles out...

sectourney 06 - tn wins the east #1 seed... loses to #5east seed south carolina!
ncaa tourney 06 - after getting a 2 seed, tn almost loses to #15 winthrop, then is crushed by 7 seed wichita state
sectourney 07 - loses to #6 seed lsu that was like 3-13 in conference
ncaa tourney 07 - built 20 pt lead on ohio state in sweet 16, then changed his gameplan... tn lost in one of the biggest choke jobs in ncaa history

0-2 in the sec tourney, even though they've had 2 winning seasons in the sec and won the east.....

PASS!

He has managed to beat the two time national champs 3 out of 4 during their reign.  Choke?   They fizzled into a sweet 16 last year.  Not bad for a second year coach at a terrible program.

Oh I forgot, you are the guy that lives in the Vol neighborhood.  I guess you are really hearing from them this year?

idiotghos

Watching the vols this year I'm not much more impressed with them than last year.  They can get very sloppy at times and have nailbiters against teams who have no business playing them close.  That said, their athleticism is frightening, and Tyler Smith is absolutely perfect for Pearl's system.  If they start playing consistently well by the end of the year I don't think any team in the country can stop them, but they haven't shown that they'll do this as of yet.

razorbacks1usa

still think him and the womens coach have something going there

The Realist

February 06, 2008, 10:23:58 pm #13 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:25:56 pm by The Realist
QuoteHe was handed a talented team.  It wasn't a miracle turnaround.  He has done a nice job to keep it going.

Thats not even close.  He was handed a team that did not suite his style at all.  Dane Bradshaw, up and down system?  No.  Two players remain that he didn't recruit: Lofton and JaJuan Smith.  JaJuan Smith was a Tennessee kid and was staying in state regardless though with his cousin being Vincent Yarbrough. 
JP Prince, Tyler Smith transferred in
Wayne Chism, Duke Crews, Josh Tabb, Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, Bryan Williams were all recruited by Pearl.
Tennessee has 2 seniors.  The rest are sophomores.  They are not a 1-3 year fling like some because these players will be around a while other than the 2 seniors but yes they will have to find someone to replace them.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

The Realist

Quote from: donewithdale on February 06, 2008, 10:26:32 pm
His initial GD team was not a bunch of spares.  He had some good SEC level players on that first [CENSORED] team.  Tenn wasn't some crappy program he revived.  Get the point?
I see someone can't handle a simple debate about a team without getting riled up. 
Can you name someone from his first team?  Doubtful. You have CJ Watson who was SEC Caliber.  Bruce Pearl kicked the best post player off the team after that year.  Chris Lofton and CJ Watson were that team.  You had nobody above a 3 star recruit on that team besides the post that he had to kick off the team because he wouldn't keep his nose out of the powder. 

Tennessee basketball was going nowhere.  There were no plans to upgrade facilities, top recruits weren't interested in going there.  Attendance was better for girls game then guys.  To say he didn't revive that program is ridiculous.  He is the reason that they are on the national scene.  They had not been past the sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament since 1981.  Last tournament appearance was 2001 and that was a first round exit.  3 straight tourney appearances including this year.  He def revived Tennessee. 
Childs, Gregory.

mathhog

Quote from: The Realist on February 06, 2008, 11:43:30 pm
I see someone can't handle a simple debate about a team without getting riled up. 
Can you name someone from his first team?  Doubtful. You have CJ Watson who was SEC Caliber.  Bruce Pearl kicked the best post player off the team after that year.  Chris Lofton and CJ Watson were that team.  You had nobody above a 3 star recruit on that team besides the post that he had to kick off the team because he wouldn't keep his nose out of the powder. 

Tennessee basketball was going nowhere.  There were no plans to upgrade facilities, top recruits weren't interested in going there.  Attendance was better for girls game then guys.  To say he didn't revive that program is ridiculous.  He is the reason that they are on the national scene.  They had not been past the sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament since 1981.  Last tournament appearance was 2001 and that was a first round exit.  3 straight tourney appearances including this year.  He def revived Tennessee. 

just for kicks, they've won 22 and 24 games his first 2 years -- with a great pg cj watson and with a preseason all american shooter in chris lofton -- and we are crowning him a god.

stan won 22 and 21 games those 2 years -- with gary ervin or dontell as point guard -- and he got fired.

just a little perspective..... he's no john wooden.  mostly hype. 

The Realist

Chris Lofton averaged 10 ppg when Pearl came in.  He blew up when Pearl was the coach.  He inherited a good PG in CJ Watson.  Some of Dontell and Ervin's troubles were caused by Heath who could not get through to the players like it seems Pel has. 
Also, Heath went after Dontell instead of Lofton when he had the shot to go after him harder. 
Also, Bruce got further in the tourney than Heath. 
I'm not crowning him as the best, way too early for that.  Just being devils advocate here when people point out things that aren't entirely accurate.  But what he has done in terms of OFF the court, fans facilities, etc and ON certainly commands recognition.
Childs, Gregory.

mathhog

Quote from: The Realist on February 07, 2008, 12:05:41 am

Also, Bruce got further in the tourney than Heath. 

agreed.  but stan also won 4 in the sec tourney in two years, while bruce won a total of 0 games.  ncaa is more important, yes, but why cant he get tennie to play for a big conference game

and, cant argue with you they actually won a game in the ncaas, but its all the draw... we both won 22 games in 2006, they get a freaking 2 seed and we get a freaking 8-9 seed.  can't control that.

i admire what he's done to get the FANS involved, but its ludicrous to think a guy that chokes the big games is the best coach in the league.  (not saying you said that)

donovan is the current dean of coaches, imo, hands down. 

The Realist

February 07, 2008, 12:51:37 am #18 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:54:09 am by The Realist
I personally don't think he has choked in big games.  Destroyed Memphis and Florida last year, beat Texas last year.  Although didn't show up this year vs. them.  Beat Florida 3 out of last 4.  Also remember Tennessee was solidly in the tournament the last 2 years while Arkansas HAD to have great showings to make the tourney.  They have won most close games this year while Lofton has been struggling most of the year up until the last 4 games.
Childs, Gregory.

NuttinItUp

I don't know how you guys can talk about him choking. The team has improved every year under him. Let's see what he does this year in the tournament and how they progress over the next few years before we talk about him like that.

Plus, he paints his chest for the women's bball games:

How can you not like a guy that enthusiastic about his school?

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: The Realist on February 06, 2008, 08:26:17 pm
Pearl will get snatched up by a basketball school soon I'm sure...

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 06, 2008, 04:47:36 pm

pearl has to win  two rings to get consideration.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: mathhog on February 07, 2008, 12:01:00 am
just for kicks, they've won 22 and 24 games his first 2 years -- with a great pg cj watson and with a preseason all american shooter in chris lofton -- and we are crowning him a god.

stan won 22 and 21 games those 2 years -- with gary ervin or dontell as point guard -- and he got fired.

just a little perspective..... he's no john wooden.  mostly hype. 
Interesting fact math. +1

The Realist

Quote from: RanSolo on February 07, 2008, 09:45:34 am
Pearl will get snatched up by a basketball school soon I'm sure...
I don't see that happening.  Tennessee will pay him as much as any school in the nation.  Their facilities are now on par with the best in the nation and they average over 20,000 fans a game.  Usually people are talking about next years football team this time of year.  Now all people want to talk about is UT basketball. 
Childs, Gregory.

hoosier

I had a chance to be around Pearl when he was at S. Indiana( my daughter and his daughter played travel soccer together), the energy and excitement he shows is genuine. He won a DII national title and transformed USI into a perennial contender. He will win where ever he coaches. His style of coaching and off the court charisma was a perfect fit for UT( would have been for Ark too).
But Donovan has to be considered the best in the conference. His record speaks for itself plus what he's done with this years team.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: The Realist on February 07, 2008, 12:41:00 pm
I don't see that happening.  Tennessee will pay him as much as any school in the nation.  Their facilities are now on par with the best in the nation and they average over 20,000 fans a game.  Usually people are talking about next years football team this time of year.  Now all people want to talk about is UT basketball. 
Yeah, he might want to stick around and build them into a dynasty. He is on his way to doing that.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: The Realist on February 07, 2008, 12:41:00 pm
haha, that's cause UT Football has been suckin' lately... 

Rimrocker99

Tennessee sure can run the transition O, that's for sure.  Talk to Florida about that.

The Hogs-Vols game on the 13th is actually featured as one of the pick'em games this week in the "My Circle Pick & Roll Challenge."  I work with Alltel on the program, which you can play at www.fanu.com/alltel.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: RanSolo on February 07, 2008, 04:50:31 pm
haha, that's cause UT Football has been suckin' lately... 
There down year is our good year for our past Nutt.  Ten wins and a bowl victory this year.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on February 07, 2008, 07:53:45 pm
There down year is our good year for our past Nutt.  Ten wins and a bowl victory this year.
Yeah, I guess I can't talk trash when the whipped us this year.  I went to that game in Knox...  Miserable. 

Wild Bill Hog

I have to believe Gillespie will turn up big when all is said and done.  Don't think what he inherited at KY was as good as what Pearl had when he got to TN.  The biggest waster of talent is (or was) Brady.  His replacement will sit down to a great hand.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

i still have the image of him shirtless unfortuately etched in my mind  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
lol
ched come back pls

HotlantaHog

Billy Donovan is best, and there is no argument. Tennessee is a perennial disappointment in both the SEC tournament and the NCAAs, and until Pearl does something in the NCAAs, he really hasn't accomplished too much of note. The season is about preparing for the tournament. I like Pearl and frankly the Tennessee fans have always been nice to us in Knoxville, so would be happy to see him have some success in March. It hasn't happened yet.

HOGINTENNESSEE

NuttinItUp

WhenPigsFly

Do not forget that Pearl took UW-M to the Sweet Sixteen, something that many have failed to accomplish.   
To deny that Pearl is a very good  or even great coach is ludicrous.   He will have a good NCAA run eventally with the type of talent he's putting on the floor at TN.

DaveV

Until Pearl does something when it matters he can't hold BG's or Coach D's jock.

Gillespie took over a VERY similar situation at aTm, and made a final 4 in his 3rd year. How freaky would it be if Pearl did the same? Almost identical.

And as for the Memphis game being a BIG win, it's just a reg season win over an overrated team that a high school freshman team could beat in a FT contest. Memphis will be lucky to make the Sweet 16.

Ouachihog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 24, 2008, 06:55:09 am
Did you see the Memphis game?

That is what I was thinking.  Winning on the #1 team's home court to take their ranking away should probably count as a big game.  I'm sure the response will be "that's not postseason play though."  Fair enough, we'll see what he does this year. 

To respond to the thread, I think it is hard to debate that he is near the top of SEC coaches. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Hogs12

Quote from: DaveV on February 24, 2008, 08:41:06 am
Until Pearl does something when it matters he can't hold BG's or Coach D's jock.

Gillespie took over a VERY similar situation at aTm, and made a final 4 in his 3rd year. How freaky would it be if Pearl did the same? Almost identical.

And as for the Memphis game being a BIG win, it's just a reg season win over an overrated team that a high school freshman team could beat in a FT contest. Memphis will be lucky to make the Sweet 16.

BG has never made a Final Four. BTW, it should be until BG does anything when it matters, he won't be holding BP and BD's jock. Here are some stats for you:

379- 105 in his career. 2 Sweet 16s in the NCAA. 4 Sweet 16s in Division II, national championship on Division II. I could go on. The fact is Coach Pearl has won big everywhere he has gone. Talk to me when BG does that.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: DaveV on February 24, 2008, 08:41:06 am
r

Just a side note, really, BCG took over a FAR WORSE situation at A&M than Pearl did at UT.  A&M was 0-16 in conference play the year prior to BCG's arrival.  In fact, you'd have to go back to the Shelby Metcalf / SWC years to find a season when A&M finished over .500 in conference play.  Their basketball program had been horrible.  I can't stand the guy, but the job he did at A&M was really nothing short of a miracle.

Jerry Green, Pearl's predecessor, actually took UT to the tourney a couple of times in the years right before he was fired.  The problem was he just wasn't very popular and most thought he squandered some pretty good talent. 

Hawgzilla

Gotta like Pearl after the win last night.Said this one is for the SEC......Dickie V said he thinks the SEC is down this year.Gotta agree with him---Alabama,Florida.Ole Miss,LSU,Kentucky,Arkansas,not the same good teams we are used to seeing........Tenn,Vandy,Miss St all have the talent to go far in the NCAA Tourney........I miss the days of 40 min of hell and just hope that Pel brings us back in the coming years,I like his fight and believe he will do great things at Arkansas.........Congrats to all Vol fans on the win against Memphis....... :razorback:

3kgthog

It's not like Pearl had a tough rebuilding job. Buzz Peterson left some pretty good talent for Pearl to start with. I doubt Pearl would've done jack squat if he had inherited a team like Stan Heath's first Razorback squad.

And for the first time I agree with Doug Gottlieb. This morning he said UT sucks in the halfcourt and they won't win the national title this year. I wholeheartedly agree with him. Neither UT or Memphis will win it. In fact, I'll say both won't even make the Final Four.

Beaverfever

There is no way you can make a case that he is a better coach than donovan, but he is awesome and you can't help but love how he does business.  He might not be the best x's and o's guy but he will always make tennessee a fun/competitive team.

jbcarol

LSU's AD said he wants to find his "Pearl".
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NuttinItUp

Some guy on the sports radio earlier today said Indiana might try to snag Pearl away from Tennessee after the season is over.

NEAHawgfan

Pearl is awesome. Just think folks, we actually had a shot at this guy but went with Stan Heath instead. WOW!!! :puke:

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 24, 2008, 08:35:02 pm
Some guy on the sports radio earlier today said Indiana might try to snag Pearl away from Tennessee after the season is over.
Would not be a bad choice.  Tennessee will pay the bucks now that Pearl is showing he can compete at the SEC level.

DaveV

Indiana or Tennessee Basketball?

Not a tough choice. More young talent at Indiana too.

farhan

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on February 24, 2008, 10:38:51 pm
Pearl is awesome. Just think folks, we actually had a shot at this guy but went with Stan Heath instead. WOW!!! :puke:

No trying to offend anyone, but pretty sure we had to hire a black guy after the Richardson fiasco.

The Truth

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 08, 2008, 05:40:05 pm
Billy Donovan is best, and there is no argument. Tennessee is a perennial disappointment in both the SEC tournament and the NCAAs, and until Pearl does something in the NCAAs, he really hasn't accomplished too much of note. The season is about preparing for the tournament. I like Pearl and frankly the Tennessee fans have always been nice to us in Knoxville, so would be happy to see him have some success in March. It hasn't happened yet.

+1.

This is not a serious question.

It's Donovan.
The Truth hurts.