Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Told ya Illinois was no good

Started by Niels Boar, April 05, 2005, 11:43:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

Just kidding.  Head and Williams had made so many clutch jumpers the last three games that it was surprising to see them misfire in the final minute.  Still, Illinois didn't win the NC for the reason everbody said they wouldn't.  The frontline wasn't quite good enough.  May feasted on the blocks.  For the second year in a row it was easy to spot the NC at mid-season.  UNC was far more talented than the competition.  The most complete team usually prevails in the tourney.

Given the results in the FF, it appears that the tourney had two strong regions and two weak ones, at least at the top.  Arizona was probably the third-best team in the tourney.  Kudos to their great coaches, but neither UK nor West Virginia probably should have been a possession away from the FF.  UK lost twice to UF a week before the tourney, and UF didn't even sniff the Sweet Sixteen in UNC's quarter.

Guess those Tar Heel fans are kicking themselves about not being patient with Doherty.  Talented team revolts against coach and obviously underachieves.  University brings in a ringer to coachem' up before they have to start all over again.  What a concept.

idochog

Lets see how quick Roy Williams wins another.  He still hasnt done it with a team he has put together. 
I love Jesus!

Niels Boar

April 05, 2005, 11:58:13 am #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:10:35 pm by Niels Boar
Roy has never had a problem getting talent.   He's a great recruiter. His team that lost to Arizona's NC team was as talented as this one.  Vaughn, Pollard, Pierce, and Lafrentz have all made impacts to varying degrees in the NBA.  Kansas fans are really irritable now.  He gets a ring immediately with UNC.  I don't think he's a super X's and O's guy, but his teams get up and down the court, my personal preference as a fan.  So I'm glad to see him get a ring.  Death to slow ball!

CarolinaHog1176

yes sir!!!  go heels go!!!  y'all should've seen franklin street (chapel hill's version of dickson street)... holy darn there were a lot of people.  I heard that people started filing into the bars and restaurants around 4:00 yesterday to get their spot... for the 9:20 game!!  I'd be darn-canned by 8:00 if I tried that...  wait a minute, I HAVE tried that.

it's simply unbelievable though!  roy did the trick.  my hat's off to illinois but they just couldn't hang with may down inside.  mccants hitting early helped keep the defense honest and may just beasted anybody they put on him.  good times, good times
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: idochog on April 05, 2005, 11:45:37 am
Lets see how quick Roy Williams wins another. He still hasnt done it with a team he has put together.

What he did was harder.  Great coaching job getting those prima donnas to buy into anything.  Plus Marvin was a key component, and he's Roy's recruit.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2005, 03:43:53 pm
Lets see how quick Roy Williams wins another. He still hasnt done it with a team he has put together.

What he did was harder. Great coaching job getting those prima donnas to buy into anything. Plus Marvin was a key component, and he's Roy's recruit.

Imagine what Williams could do with Famutimi, Brewer and Modica. Toss in Townes. Nah, don't imagine. It hurts to think about it.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

That's the thing.  We're to the point that most folks would think we wouldn't have a chance hiring a coach as good as Roy Williams, while we should be on that level.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2005, 06:01:39 pm
That's the thing. We're to the point that most folks would think we wouldn't have a chance hiring a coach as good as Roy Williams, while we should be on that level.

agreed. Sporting News ranks us the No. 8 basketball program OF ALL TIME, for gawd's sake. This guy ranks Arkansas the No. 2 hot seat and prestigious coaching program coming up this year behind Indiana and ahead of a lot of people some of these folks on here think we can't compete with in terms of hiring coaches. That's a really stupid attitude now, to think we have to go out and hire some guy, even if it's a Sutton kid, from ORU for dirt-cheap money. We're on a par with Louisville, dammit, we should expect basketball to be exciting in December and draw 19,000 a game and for conference to draw standing room only, and have a coach that puts that type of Final Four contender on the floor every year. I'll be darned if I think, after the past 28 years, we should just be happy to make the [CENSORED] tournament and go out in the first round like Fairleigh Dickinson. bull.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Fatty McGee

Quote from: drakehog on April 06, 2005, 02:38:26 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2005, 06:01:39 pm
That's the thing. We're to the point that most folks would think we wouldn't have a chance hiring a coach as good as Roy Williams, while we should be on that level.

agreed. Sporting News ranks us the No. 8 basketball program OF ALL TIME, for gawd's sake. This guy ranks Arkansas the No. 2 hot seat and prestigious coaching program coming up this year behind Indiana and ahead of a lot of people some of these folks on here think we can't compete with in terms of hiring coaches. That's a really stupid attitude now, to think we have to go out and hire some guy, even if it's a Sutton kid, from ORU for dirt-cheap money. We're on a par with Louisville, dammit, we should expect basketball to be exciting in December and draw 19,000 a game and for conference to draw standing room only, and have a coach that puts that type of Final Four contender on the floor every year. I'll be darned if I think, after the past 28 years, we should just be happy to make the farging tournament and go out in the first round like Fairleigh Dickinson. bull.

What happened with Louisville was not something that usually happens, no matter how big the program.  Almost every school gets someone from a lesser school, with the exception of those schools who have former assistants at a big name or someone who wants to get closer to home. 

The Nolan coaching tree stops at Anderson, and Bill Self is the only big name coach from the region I can think of, and he already got close enough. 

We'll hire someone from a lesser program, even if it's a Pitt/UCLA kind of deal or an assistant from a UNC type school.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

tophawg19

theres a big difference between can't & won't it;s money . This is a buisness and in buisness you have to spend money to make money .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

gatecrasher

Get off Roy's back!  The man's got his ring.  Leave well enough alone, will ya!