Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last night was great...but slightly concerning

Started by Beaverfever, November 03, 2007, 02:17:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaverfever

I had thought prior to this year that pel was going to run a somewhat toned down 40 minutes of hell.  While I loved watching it last night, it was anything but toned down.  Am I the only one who is mildly concerned that we are going to be pressing like this with only 3 proven guards.    Pel has said in interviews that ervin, bev, and weems will all be playing 33 minutes a game or so but I don't know how realistic this is given the pace of the game.  All the teams nolan had rotated many guards in and out.  The way I see it one (maybe two) of the freshmen guards are going to be thrown into the fire this year and be expected to at least provide 8-10 minutes a game.  Maybe someone who is a little more basketball knowledgeable can shed some light on this subject.  Can a team run 40 minutes of hell with 3 guards?  If we do go with 3 guards for most of the season I'd like to see welsh get a lot of ervin's minutes.  At this point in time, I really would prefer Ervin not be on the court for 33+ minutes. 

Beaverfever

Wow wrong board...Could a mod switch it to the hoops board?  My bad.

PiggoBitttys

Well, that was the whole point of the offseason conditioning program, so they could do this. I think Patsa can play at 2G(defense may be a question mark with him right now, just haven't seen him tested), Britt and Rakestraw could also provide some minutes. I think Rakestraw and Patsa being better offensive players might allow them quicker playing time.

Anyway, we won't really know if they'll be able to do it until they try to do it against tough competition. Pel has worked them very very hard in the offseason though so they can do it.

The Coletrain

It's a good point you make, Beaver.  I think you've highlighted Pel's primary concern as well.  Which is why he went after Britt and Patsa so late in the game.  You can rest assured, he's going to go after plenty of guards in the next class, but it is what it is for the time being. 

I'm sure he'll have to make some adjustments in his style if and when fatigue sets in for our perimeter players.  And then again next year, when we have very little experience at all in the frontcourt.  But I would say by year three we should see the type of team Pel would like to field every year. 

Don't think that helps us much this year, but things could be a whole lot worse.  I just hope he'll make the necessary changes when needed and not try and fit a square peg in a round hole.  And I think he will.  But he will have to probably play a little more quarter court basketball in spurts this year than what we'll probably see in a couple of years.  But at least he has the horses inside to do so.  Would be a lot different if our post play was suspect to go along with depth issues on the perimeter.  He's fortunate in that most coaches coming into a situation where the previous coach was fired would not have near the talent and experience he currently enjoys.     
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

The Boar War

I don't believe Pel will have these boys pressing 40 minutes every game.  During the grind of the SEC season with games on wednesday and saturday this will wear out a team with even six guards.  I see something of a 30/10 or a 25/15 mix.  This would fit in more with what he said at his original press conference.

dmac4sainthood

Can we assume for a second that the head coach knows what he is doing?  Just for a second?  We just hired him...are we second guesing him already?

I am never concerned when you win by 70, I don't care who you played.

The_Iceman

Guards:

1st String- Ervin, PBev, Weems
2nd String- Welsh, Britt, Patsatsia

claytongray

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on November 03, 2007, 03:50:17 pm
Guards:

1st String- Ervin, PBev, Weems
2nd String- Welsh, Britt, Patsatsia

Yes. We have way more than three guards. I imagine will also see long guys like Hunter see action at the top of the press.

MDH

Have faith.  Not only is this going to be a good team, it's going to be a fun team.  30 mins, instead of 40?  I'm fine with that.  However, if some freshmen step up, it could very well be close to 40.

Feb. 13th v. Tenn could be a HUGE game.

I'm also hoping we get to play VCU in Puerto Rico.  I'd rather see it when both teams are fresh, but it still would be fun.

"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Sow’sEar

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on November 03, 2007, 03:21:11 pm
Can we assume for a second that the head coach knows what he is doing?  Just for a second?  We just hired him...are we second guesing him already?

good point.

hawgwild1087

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on November 03, 2007, 03:21:11 pm
Can we assume for a second that the head coach knows what he is doing?  Just for a second?  We just hired him...are we second guesing him already?

bump

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 03, 2007, 02:17:14 pm
I had thought prior to this year that pel was going to run a somewhat toned down 40 minutes of hell.  While I loved watching it last night, it was anything but toned down.  Am I the only one who is mildly concerned that we are going to be pressing like this with only 3 proven guards.    Pel has said in interviews that ervin, bev, and weems will all be playing 33 minutes a game or so but I don't know how realistic this is given the pace of the game.  All the teams nolan had rotated many guards in and out.  The way I see it one (maybe two) of the freshmen guards are going to be thrown into the fire this year and be expected to at least provide 8-10 minutes a game.  Maybe someone who is a little more basketball knowledgeable can shed some light on this subject.  Can a team run 40 minutes of hell with 3 guards?  If we do go with 3 guards for most of the season I'd like to see welsh get a lot of ervin's minutes.  At this point in time, I really would prefer Ervin not be on the court for 33+ minutes. 

Agreed, but once Rakestraw is back, and if he & Britt develops along with Patsa, we could go a legitimate  four-five deep at guard.  Let's hope...
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

chiefsfan

he can press more in nonconference because their is a bigger break between games...hopefully by January they are so conditioned to the press they will be able to do it alot
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

bigbrotha

I'd be working on pressing less and rebounding more, especially offensive.  There's no reason we can't dominate the offensive glass.  That is as crippling to a team as turnovers.

hawgsav1

I agree with him completely.  I was worrying about that at the beginning of last year.  Hopefully all our guards are conditioned and prepared well enough to run like that.  Hopefully Weems can play as a 2-3 combo guard, but his ballhandling needs to improve too.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

bigbrotha

We don't have the quickest guards.  That includes Beverly and Weems.  They have many great qualities but pure quickness isn't one of them, especially on d.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 03, 2007, 08:40:26 pm
Agreed, but once Rakestraw is back, and if he & Britt develops along with Patsa, we could go a legitimate  four-five deep at guard.  Let's hope...

Can Rakestraw handle the ball against pressure?  Never seen the guy play but a big part of guard play is, IMO, is the ability to bring the ball up against pressure and run the offense.  What little I saw of Patsa is he can't really do this.  He may be a good shooter, a fine passer, and understand the game but he can't fill this role.  Britt looks like he could.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 04, 2007, 06:02:45 am
Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 03, 2007, 08:40:26 pm

Can Rakestraw handle the ball against pressure?  Never seen the guy play but a big part of guard play is, IMO, is the ability to bring the ball up against pressure and run the offense.  What little I saw of Patsa is he can't really do this.  He may be a good shooter, a fine passer, and understand the game but he can't fill this role.  Britt looks like he could.

Agreed - that's why we need Welsh to develop into a good PG right away to complement Gary.  Hopefully we'll also see more of PBev working at PG - that would be his meal ticket to the NBA someday, if he could show some solid development as a ballhandler and passer.  The other guards on the roster need to give us depth at SG.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient