Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson

Started by claycohog, November 01, 2007, 10:04:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Since the football field is going to be named after Broyles who thinks the BB court should be named after Nolan?

It should be named after Nolan
363 (73.2%)
It should not be named after Nolan
133 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 450

claycohog

Hey secfan30.  Can you say "selective memory"?

slopinhogs

you know ,i really don't think he has anything to apologize for. i think he was wright all along.:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

budcampbellfan

I seriously doubt Nolan cares one wit about the UofA, the Razorbacks, you, or me.  I am not for honoring him just because he might not be so bad compared to Frank.  I am not for honoring Frank either.

Also, if Nolan were in Frank's position, AD, there is a good possibility he would be just as bad or worse with his own cronyism.  But he was not AD, had quit winning and was fired as he should have been.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

secfan30

Quote from: claycohog on November 01, 2007, 11:41:31 am

Am I wrong? Usually after one of his blow ups he would come right back and apologize. They all had something to the effect of "99% of the fans are great, it's the 1% I am talking about." some where in the apology.

budcampbellfan

Everyone remembers his fit before a national television audience.  Nobody remembers his pathetic little apology after a game on the radio.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

claycohog

He didn't get a free pass? 

TLFHAWG

Why not, his team won a NC.

secfan30

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 11:45:07 am
Everyone remembers his fit before a national television audience.  Nobody remembers his pathetic little apology after a game on the radio.

I really think he was honestly sorry.

claycohog

budcampbellfan

Quote from: secfan30 on November 01, 2007, 11:46:18 am

I really think he was honestly sorry.
So do I.

secfan30

Quote from: claycohog on November 01, 2007, 11:47:07 am
I'm on your side secfan30.

I see that. Slow going for me today. I am glad someone else remembers that broadcast.

havok

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 11:05:52 am
Quote from: Bama Hog on November 01, 2007, 11:02:31 am
Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 10:59:57 am
Quote from: chuckinss on November 01, 2007, 10:55:13 am
It should NOT be named after him.  I loved Nolan, loved his teams, BUT he SUED the university for heaven sakes!!  He "called out" the university at the end and he left on bad terms.  You don't name something after someone who threatens to "bring in the tanks."  Good Grief!!
called people "turds", teams quit on him.  Bad mouthed the city and area.  destroyed his own recruiting.  Said, "they can have this job, show me the money".  

See Frank.

Frank caused him to badmouth the fans and the area, and become bad at recruiting?

I think Broyles may have caused alot of heartache for Nolan, which is bad.... but I also think Nolan had his own issues seperate from Broyles.

I think so too.. Broyals used his connections in the press, higher ups, and I am sure the same "Leaking of Info" stuff to cause public support for him to fall, took a heavy toll on Nolan.  I don't care who you are... you get enough pressure, and as many people appearing to be against you.. and eventually snap and say something out of anger.

I think many now are loking at the last 8-10 years in a different light...because we now know of how underhanded, and dysfunctional things are in Fayetteville.  The fact that Nolan Stayed says a little about how much he probably loves the state and location..  Or he knows that eventually all the lies, deceit, and unethical actions was going to catch up with them..and he wanted a front row seat.

claycohog

Remember, Nolan was enduring this his 1st year at Arkansas.  I think he handled it rather well over the years.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 11:07:25 am
Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 01, 2007, 11:06:32 am
How did he badmouth the fans and area any worse than John White, Frank Broyles, and Houston Nutt have?

And it will be good when they are gone... whats your point?

My point is that none of them got fired, and we're naming a field after one.  So why shouldn't Nolan get a court named after him?  Or at least be honored in some way given that he is responsible for the only consensus national championship in this school's history in a major sport?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

His "fit" wasn't before a national TV audience, it was at a press conference which wouldn't have been televised but for snippets if not for that incident.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 11:10:35 am
How did he badmouth the fans and area any worse than John White, Frank Broyles, and Houston Nutt have?
This is an argument for honoring the guy?  Fuzzy thinking here.

No, it's simply illustrating the idiocy of saying those things should keep him from being honored.  Once again, Nolan is subject to a double standard.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: havok on November 01, 2007, 11:48:49 am
Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 11:05:52 am
Quote from: Bama Hog on November 01, 2007, 11:02:31 am
Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 10:59:57 am
Quote from: chuckinss on November 01, 2007, 10:55:13 am
It should NOT be named after him.  I loved Nolan, loved his teams, BUT he SUED the university for heaven sakes!!  He "called out" the university at the end and he left on bad terms.  You don't name something after someone who threatens to "bring in the tanks."  Good Grief!!
called people "turds", teams quit on him.  Bad mouthed the city and area.  destroyed his own recruiting.  Said, "they can have this job, show me the money".  

See Frank.

Frank caused him to badmouth the fans and the area, and become bad at recruiting?

I think Broyles may have caused alot of heartache for Nolan, which is bad.... but I also think Nolan had his own issues seperate from Broyles.

I think so too.. Broyals used his connections in the press, higher ups, and I am sure the same "Leaking of Info" stuff to cause public support for him to fall, took a heavy toll on Nolan.  I don't care who you are... you get enough pressure, and as many people appearing to be against you.. and eventually snap and say something out of anger.

I think many now are loking at the last 8-10 years in a different light...because we now know of how underhanded, and dysfunctional things are in Fayetteville.  The fact that Nolan Stayed says a little about how much he probably loves the state and location..  Or he knows that eventually all the lies, deceit, and unethical actions was going to catch up with them..and he wanted a front row seat.
A little vague but I certainly understand what you are saying about Frank.  Not for honoring either one of 'em.  

Dwight_K_Shrute

November 01, 2007, 12:24:38 pm #67 Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:34:44 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
Nolan did publicly apologize to the one group he needed to apologize to, the fans.

I was there when he did it standing about 4 feet behind him.  It was during his post game radio show after the game at Starkville, the last game he would coach.

He was doing his show with Mike Nail and he said he was sorry about what he said about the fans and talked about how great the fans were.  Mike Nail put his arm around Nolan during the show.  Nolan was sitting in between Mike and Joe Kleine.  Nolan was sincere and contrite and he knew the end was near and I believe was truly sad about that.

To me the lawsuit and everything that followed was basically between him and the U and Frank.
Also I am more willing to forgive someone when they lash out due to a moment of hurt or anger that is uncharacteristic of them.

I'm not willing to forgive when the people systematically go about screwing people over, even when they do it in the nicest of ways.

I'm ready to see white haired and slim Nolan back in BWA.  That is one wound that needs to be healed and one bridge that needs to be mended.  I'm hoping Pel can help with that.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Marmot

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 01, 2007, 11:58:16 am
Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 11:07:25 am

And it will be good when they are gone... whats your point?

My point is that none of them got fired, and we're naming a field after one.  So why shouldn't Nolan get a court named after him?  Or at least be honored in some way given that he is responsible for the only consensus national championship in this school's history in a major sport?

I dont support naming the field for Broyles nor naming the court for Nolan. I will applaud Broyles just I applauded Nolan all those years for what he did, and I support honoring Nolan with a statue in BWA.

But I am sorely disappointed in both of them for how their careers have ended.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

dacskc

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 01, 2007, 12:24:38 pm
Nolan did publicly apologize to the one group he needed to apologize to, the fans.

I was there when he did it standing about 4 feet behind him.  It was during his post game radio show after the game at Starkville, the last game he would coach.

He was doing his show with Mike Nail and he said he was sorry about what he said about the fans and talked about how great the fans were.  Mike Nail put his arm around Nolan during the show.  Nolan was sitting in between Mike and Joe Kleine.  Nolan was sincere and contrite and he knew the end was near and I believe was truly sad about that.

To me the lawsuit and everything that followed was basically between him and the U and Frank.
Also I am more willing to forgive someone when they lash out due to a moment of hurt or anger that is uncharacteristic of them.

I'm not willing to forgive when the people systematically go about screwing people over, even when they do it in the nicest of ways.

I'm ready to see white haired and slim Nolan back in BWA.  That is one wound that needs to be healed and one bridge that needs to be mended.  I'm hoping Pel can help with that.

Two thumbs up. Best post in the thread.

secfan30

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 01, 2007, 12:24:38 pm

I'm not willing to forgive when the people systematically go about screwing people over, even when the do it in the nicest of ways.

I would love to see Coach Richardson walk on that floor again. He was larger than life to me when I was younger. He should have been able to write his own ticket out. Everytime one of his "blow ups" come out he always apologized to the fans, to me, that was his way of saying it's not directed at you. With everything that has came out since his firing, it's not too far fetched to say he went through some crap behind closed doors. The past has been ignored too long. Hell let's at least build a bronze statue of him in front of Bud Walton.

hawgsav1

I would also love to see Nolan back on the court.  I mean, Stan even got a better deal than what Nolan had to put up with and Nutt...well, we know how that went.  Nolan is one of the greats.  Even John Thompson at Georgetown only got one national title and has almost the same amount of final fours as Nolan.  Frankly, Nolan's words are proving to be prophetic and FINALLY, people are beginning to see the light.  He probably didn't state his point in the best of ways, but he was right, which is what matters.  I think naming the court after him would be the first step to healing relations between Nolan and Arkansas...and I can bet you, he'll be there with a tear of happiness in his eye the night they name the court after him. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

budcampbellfan

I certainly do not hate or personally hold anything Nolan said or did against him.  I have my own faults and hope people have forgiven me for lots of things.  However, I am not asking them to honor me by naming their children after me, eventhough I have also done some good toward those same people. 

We all make mistakes.  We all do wrong.  We all do wrong deliberately many times.  Many of us ask forgiveness.  That's great.  It does not merit anything.  Apologies only acknowledge wrong doing.  I forgive him. 

I do not think his basketball program merits naming anything after him.  He took the program down, built it back, won a NC, took it down again, quit trying.  That's his record.  He then drug the UofA through the dirt with the law suit.  I don't like that, regardless of his feud with Broyles. 

I do not want to honor Broyles either, even more so.  That's the way I feel about the whole thing and I am certainly glad that Nolan never took Broyles place as AD (though I have wanted Broyles fired for a long time) which I think is what he really wanted.  JMO.

hogcard100

Some of you people are serious, aren't you?  The guy has never apologized for anything he's said!

...not to mention he's obviously a racist!!!

hawgsav1

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 12:42:55 pm
I certainly do not hate or personally hold anything Nolan said or did against him.  I have my own faults and hope people have forgiven me for lots of things.  However, I am not asking them to honor me by naming their children after me, eventhough I have also done some good toward those same people. 

We all make mistakes.  We all do wrong.  We all do wrong deliberately many times.  Many of us ask forgiveness.  That's great.  It does not merit anything.  Apologies only acknowledge wrong doing.  I forgive him. 

I do not think his basketball program merits naming anything after him.  He took the program down, built it back, won a NC, took it down again, quit trying.  That's his record.  He then drug the UofA through the dirt with the law suit.  I don't like that, regardless of his feud with Broyles. 

I do not want to honor Broyles either, even more so.  That's the way I feel about the whole thing and I am certainly glad that Nolan never took Broyles place as AD (though I have wanted Broyles fired for a long time) which I think is what he really wanted.  JMO.

The program was already down when Nolan got here, thanks to the drunkard who crawled away to Kentucky.  Nolan only suffered  through one losing season at 12-16 his first year and he was already dealing with his dying daughter (and his last year).  On top of that, Frankie threatened to fire him his first year ON TOP OF HIS DAUGHTER DYING.  Frankly (no pun intended), if Nolan was mailing it in at the end, shame on him.  Nevertheless, what he did here and the magic that surrounded the Razorbacks and 40 Minutes of Hell during the glory days was nothing short of amazing.  John Chaney of Temple never even went to a Final Four and yet he is in the Hall of Fame (which I think he deserves).  Nolan has done more in less time than Chaney.  Also, Nolan was the first black coach in the SEC for basketball if I remember correctly.  I think naming the court after him would go a long way to both healing the damage that was done by both sides and would go a long way to improving southerners' perception among outsiders regarding race relations.  Nolan did more than "just a nice thing" for the Hogs, he made us believe that we could win every game.  The only greater coach in Razorback history is John McDonnell, and that's a fact.

dacskc

Quote from: hogcard100 on November 01, 2007, 12:50:54 pm
Some of you people are serious, aren't you?  The guy has never apologized for anything he's said!

Obviously?
Why?

budcampbellfan

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 12:52:08 pm

The program was already down when Nolan got here, thanks to the drunkard who crawled away to Kentucky.  Nolan only suffered  through one losing season at 12-16 his first year and he was already dealing with his dying daughter (and his last year).  On top of that, Frankie threatened to fire him his first year ON TOP OF HIS DAUGHTER DYING.  Frankly (no pun intended), if Nolan was mailing it in at the end, shame on him.  Nevertheless, what he did here and the magic that surrounded the Razorbacks and 40 Minutes of Hell during the glory days was nothing short of amazing.  John Chaney of Temple never even went to a Final Four and yet he is in the Hall of Fame (which I think he deserves).  Nolan has done more in less time than Chaney.  Also, Nolan was the first black coach in the SEC for basketball if I remember correctly.  I think naming the court after him would go a long way to both healing the damage that was done by both sides and would go a long way to improving southerners' perception among outsiders regarding race relations.  Nolan did more than "just a nice thing" for the Hogs, he made us believe that we could win every game.  The only greater coach in Razorback history is John McDonnell, and that's a fact.
Yes, they want to honor Nolan for being born black.  Nolan was not hired to be black or white or indian or yellow, or brown.  He was hired to coach basketball.  He quit after he got a NC and proclaimed himself the person who put Arkansas on the map and took the bb program down.  The teams were always his, not the UofA.  

And listen to them, trashing poor old Eddie.  He was only a white guy.  "He was a drunk"  No slack for him, though he had the same problem with Frank.  Excuses are only for the black guy.  Poor ol'Nolan he was black.  Boo hoo hoo.  

Do I want to honor Eddie Sutton?  No.

dacskc

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 01:03:07 pm

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 12:52:08 pm

Yes, they want to honor Nolan for being born black.  Nolan was not hired to be black or white or indian or yellow, or brown.  He was hired to coach basketball.  He quit after he got a NC and proclaimed himself the person who put Arkansas on the map and took the bb program down.  The teams were always his, not the UofA.  

And listen to them, trashing poor old Eddie.  He was only a white guy.  "He was a drunk"  No slack for him, though he had the same problem with Frank.  Excuses are only for the black guy.  Poor ol'Nolan he was black.  Boo hoo hoo.  

Do I want to honor Eddie Sutton?  No.

Interesting window into your thought process.

claycohog

I'm serious as hell.  Nolan is more of a man than any of them that are there now combined. (excluding Pel)  Are you trying to say Broyles isn't a racist?

The Marmot

Quote from: claycohog on November 01, 2007, 01:06:51 pm
I'm serious as hell.  Nolan is more of a man than any of them that are there now combined. (excluding Pel)  Are you trying to say Broyles isn't a racist?

I would take Van Horn and McDonnell over Nolan anyday.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

The Marmot

This thread is taking a turn for the worse.....

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hawgsav1

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 01:08:44 pm

McDonnell over Nolan?  Yes.  Van Horn is a good guy, but he has to be here longer.  He's only been here a few years at most.  Nevertheless, out of the major money-making sports (basketball and football), Nolan has to be the greatest out of all of them.  Hands down.  He was treated unfairly here and deserves some recompense for what happened.

claycohog

I would like Van Horn if our baseball team were playing horse shoes. 

As far as McDonnell, I'm with you.  I should have excluded him also.

dacskc

grayhawg

I think you are wrong about that and I will tell you why. I remember when I was a youngster we had separate bathrooms and water fountains for Blacks and Whites. There were no Blacks in White schools and the N word was used every day. We treated Blacks really bad, Yes I said we. I was an adult before I realized the Black was only skin deep. God forgive me for that. Nolan was on the other side of the fence and had to endure that crap. I believe it caused bitterness but that don't make him a racist in my eyes. He has a right to be bitter!

budcampbellfan

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 01:09:29 pm
It always will with Nolan topics.  Because there are those (mostly white probably) that want to bend over backwards for him because of race, no matter of any other circumstances.  They are the ones (mostly white) that always have to slip in the race references at some point.  clucks.

hawgsav1

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 01:11:50 pm

McDonnell over Nolan?  Yes.  Van Horn is a good guy, but he has to be here longer.  He's only been here a few years at most.  Nevertheless, out of the major money-making sports (basketball and football), Nolan has to be the greatest out of all of them.  Hands down.  He was treated unfairly here and deserves some recompense for what happened.

Anyways, this thread is NOT about how good McDonnell or Van Horn are.  They are both great and classy guys who can flat out motivate and coach.  However, they didn't coach basketball.  We can name the athletic department after McDonnell because he deserves it from how good he is and in a few years when Van Horn wins us a few CWS, we'll name rename Baum Stadium after him.  The question concerns the basketball court.  Nolan was the best big sport coach we've ever had and should have the court named after him.  Period.

hawgsav1

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 01:19:11 pm
It always will with Nolan topics.  Because there are those (mostly white probably) that want to bend over backwards for him because of race, no matter of any other circumstances.  They are the ones (mostly white) that always have to slip in the race references at some point.  clucks.

It's amazing how you can discern the race of posters by how they type...

budcampbellfan

November 01, 2007, 01:23:17 pm #88 Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:44:06 pm by budcampbellfan
Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 01:21:40 pm
Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 01, 2007, 01:19:11 pm

It's amazing how you can discern the race of posters by how they type...
lol.  yes, well usually you can pretty well guess. 

Actually I am not going by the way they type or express themselves on hogville so much as what I observe in white people in general and we are the majority at this time and that applies to hogville.  The most outspoken on race are whites that think it makes them look like noble and wonderful people if they can express how sorry they feel for the "other" races.  I just think that kind of self-righteousness is very condescending and self-promoting.

The Marmot

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 01:19:51 pm

Anyways, this thread is NOT about how good McDonnell or Van Horn are.  They are both great and classy guys who can flat out motivate and coach.  However, they didn't coach basketball.  We can name the athletic department after McDonnell because he deserves it from how good he is and in a few years when Van Horn wins us a few CWS, we'll name rename Baum Stadium after him.  The question concerns the basketball court.  Nolan was the best big sport coach we've ever had and should have the court named after him.  Period.

I disagree.... I think our program will be better than it was under Nolan in the near future, and the court should not be named after him. He should be honored by the program in some other capacity though.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

dacskc

Hmmmm.....

My Top Ten:

1. McDonnell
2. Nolan
3. Lou
4. Eddie
5. DVH

Frank probably deserves a spot, but I was about 9 when he quit coaching, so I only remember him as AD.

86. Nutt

hogcard100

Quote from: grayhawg on November 01, 2007, 01:18:36 pm

I think you are wrong about that and I will tell you why. I remember when I was a youngster we had separate bathrooms and water fountains for Blacks and Whites. There were no Blacks in White schools and the N word was used every day. We treated Blacks really bad, Yes I said we. I was an adult before I realized the Black was only skin deep. God forgive me for that. Nolan was on the other side of the fence and had to endure that crap. I believe it caused bitterness but that don't make him a racist in my eyes. He has a right to be bitter!

No, that's not how you talk or treat other people.  He has no right at all to be the way he is.

claycohog

Welcoming Nolan back would be a start.

hawgsav1

Quote from: dacskc on November 01, 2007, 01:25:21 pm

Hmmmm.....

My Top Ten:

1. McDonnell
2. Nolan
3. Lou
4. Eddie
5. DVH

Frank probably deserves a spot, but I was about 9 when he quit coaching, so I only remember him as AD.

86. Nutt

I like how you only put 5 ;-)  Neverthless, I'd probably agree with that list.  Maybe I'd put Frank at No. 5 instead of DVH.  DVH is great, but he hasn't been here long enough to make the mark (though considering how good he is, he probably will.  Just don't ever match us up with Oklahoma State.  They ALWAYS have our number)

hawgsav1

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 01:23:43 pm
Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 01, 2007, 01:19:51 pm

I disagree.... I think our program will be better than it was under Nolan in the near future, and the court should not be named after him. He should be honored by the program in some other capacity though.

Maybe the court doesn't have to be named after him.  Nevertheless, he deserves at least a statue or some kind of big honor.  Something permanent.

grayhawg

Quote from: hogcard100 on November 01, 2007, 01:27:33 pm
Quote from: grayhawg on November 01, 2007, 01:18:36 pm

No, that's not how you talk or treat other people.  He has no right at all to be the way he is.
You must not remember the late 40's or 50's.

kirk

Nolan deserves it. The court up at Mizzou was named for Norm Stewart and he never came close to doing what Nolan did.

BartIV

Nolan deserves his name on the court.  He did more on the basketball court than Frank Broyles ever did on the football field.

hawgsav1

Quote from: BartIV on November 01, 2007, 01:30:19 pm
Nolan deserves his name on the court.  He did more on the basketball court than Frank Broyles ever did on the football field.

Amen...

txrzrbk

Quote from: The Marmot on November 01, 2007, 10:22:05 am
Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on November 01, 2007, 10:18:50 am
Actually, what I really want to see is a huge Nolan statue inside the BAC, but that's really more about sticking it to Frank than honoring Nolan.

I'm good as long as there is room for other statues when we win future championships... Nolan did great things here but he is not the end-all in Razorback basketball.

Yea, I know what you are talking about.  I am a Packer fan, and when they put that statue out in front of Lambeau field with Vince on it, I thought what are we going to do?  Now we got to do it for everyone who does this!

Boy would that be a problem that would cause us a major issue.  I can see it now.  We have just won out 10 th national championship and no place to put the statue!  I think at that point you could just build a new Arena and design enough room for another 10 statues!