Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Washington question

Started by PorkSoda, October 30, 2007, 06:53:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

It seems at least a few people think that he could go in the draft this year.  I really didn't get to see him play much last year, so its hard for me to tell.  Do you think that he is a Kevin Durant caliber player, or who would you compare him to?  Is he THAT good, or is he just a local favorite?  If he is, how long til you think he will garner a starting job?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razorbackfan4life

He's a tremendous talent that's about to explode out onto the college scene.  He's got it all for his size.  I want to see him work more in the paint, but other than that he's done nothing but impress me.

Adam Stokes

If he can stay out of foul trouble he will be a VERY good player.  Near the end of last year he couldn't stay on the floor very long because of foul trouble, but while he was in he made an impact.  He was just couple spots away from being a 5-star out of high school.

dotnet

Kevin Durant?  Come on... He came to Arkansas after an extra year in prep school.  Then he never started until the very end of the season (if he even started then).  I think he can be all-sec... but Durant was the best player in college basketball as an 18 year old kid.  This is an unfair comparison.

stronguard

MW is a very good player.  But let's face it, if he was a KDurant caliber of player he would have committed to someone other than STANLEY.

He has the tools to be in the NBA, but not after this season, maybe after junior year.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: stronguard on October 30, 2007, 09:04:15 pm
MW is a very good player.  But let's face it, if he was a KDurant caliber of player he would have committed to someone other than STANLEY.

He has the tools to be in the NBA, but not after this season, maybe after junior year.

no need to say anymore than that. good post. +1
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Sow’sEar

I wouldn't put him in Durant's level, however, i can see him making it in the league.

slopinhogs

he needs to grow a little stronger and hone his skills some he fouls a lot .i think it would be a mistake for him to leave after this year. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

PorkSoda

I didn't expect him to be Durant necessarily, it was really the first reference that came to mind.  It seems that a lot of people have high expectations from him, I just wasn't sure what level they were expecting.  I'm also curious ig people think he might have a breakout year during a year when the Forward position is stacked with seniors.  Though with pelphreys system, everyone should get plenty of minutes do to the need for more frequent rotations. 

I heard Sanchez was crashing the boards during the red-white game.  I'm interested to see how hungry some of our younger players play compared to the seniors.  Rebounding seemed to be a big issue during the SH era.  I would like to see our players hustle more to get those balls. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: PowderHawg on October 30, 2007, 11:20:57 pm
I didn't expect him to be Durant necessarily, it was really the first reference that came to mind.  It seems that a lot of people have high expectations from him, I just wasn't sure what level they were expecting.  I'm also curious ig people think he might have a breakout year during a year when the Forward position is stacked with seniors.  Though with pelphreys system, everyone should get plenty of minutes do to the need for more frequent rotations. 

I heard Sanchez was crashing the boards during the red-white game.  I'm interested to see how hungry some of our younger players play compared to the seniors.  Rebounding seemed to be a big issue during the SH era.  I would like to see our players hustle more to get those balls. 

Did you also hear Sanchez sucked the entire red-white game? Turnovers, missed layups, made like one shot.
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

alaback

Quote from: PowderHawg on October 30, 2007, 06:53:18 pm
It seems at least a few people think that he could go in the draft this year.  I really didn't get to see him play much last year, so its hard for me to tell.  Do you think that he is a Kevin Durant caliber player, or who would you compare him to?  Is he THAT good, or is he just a local favorite?  If he is, how long til you think he will garner a starting job?

Sorry, but comparing him to Durant was just kind of funny.  Durant, even though he went to Texas, was just one of those special talents that don't come along that often.  I'm sure we'll be hearing him mentioned pretty soon in the elite category with people like Garnett, McGrady, Wade, Duncan, etc...  Those players who are in the next category below Lebron and Kobe.

I think a more appropriate comparison to Washington is someone like Tyrus Thomas.  He was just an athlete who could jump out of the gym but they had a great run to the final four and next thing you know he was a top 5 pick with the Bulls.  I'm not sure Washington gets as much playing time that Tyrus got because of how experienced our frontcourt is.  Unless of course he really shows Pel something early on.  He certainly physically fits an uptempo style to a T.

Grumpy Old Main

Michael Washington, who is two years older than Kevin Durant (Durant just turned 19, Washington is 21), has NBA level talent, but it takes more than that.  He seems like a nice kid, but his high school/prep school history, the fact that he's been suspended, and that he often has a posse around him, makes me nervous about him keeping it together well enough to take advantage of his talent.

He needs to focus on being reliable enough to be a starter, then all-SEC, while staying eligible.  Then he can worry about the NBA.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Grumpy Old Main on October 31, 2007, 08:45:11 am
Michael Washington, who is two years older than Kevin Durant (Durant just turned 19, Washington is 21), has NBA level talent, but it takes more than that.  He seems like a nice kid, but his high school/prep school history, the fact that he's been suspended, and that he often has a posse around him, makes me nervous about him keeping it together well enough to take advantage of his talent.

He needs to focus on being reliable enough to be a starter, then all-SEC, while staying eligible.  Then he can worry about the NBA.

that's not all that goes on with Mike Wash. He is trouble. I have heard him talk on his cell phone about schit you can go to jail for.

Beaverfever

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on October 31, 2007, 11:34:31 am

that's not all that goes on with Mike Wash. He is trouble. I have heard him talk on his cell phone about schit you can go to jail for.
boohoo who gives a shiite...maybe you should stop listening in on his convos.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Beaverfever on October 31, 2007, 01:48:38 pm

It's called an elevator, jackass. Plus why would you be stupid enough to talk about that stuff out loud in public? I hope he stays clear of trouble this season. Oh and nice abbreviation of conversations.

Beaverfever

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on October 31, 2007, 01:53:55 pm
Quote from: Beaverfever on October 31, 2007, 01:48:38 pm

It's called an elevator, jackass. Plus why would you be stupid enough to talk about that stuff out loud in public? I hope he stays clear of trouble this season. Oh and nice abbreviation of conversations.
Just remember this is how rumors get started.  People seem so quick to stir up stuff about our own players.

clifflee4mvp

call it a rumor if you want, move it to rumors. I don't give a schit. I heard what i heard. His suspensions are just more evidence that he is trouble. I hope he does great and all but he's got to stay out of trouble.

Hollywood_HOGan45

hopefully coach Pel can get him in line and he can fulfill his potential while here at Arkansas.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 31, 2007, 02:11:21 pm
hopefully coach Pel can get him in line and he can fulfill his potential while here at Arkansas.

yeah coach pel has already shown that he doesn't play around!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on October 31, 2007, 02:15:59 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 31, 2007, 02:11:21 pm

yeah coach pel has already shown that he doesn't play around!

good
sounds like he just needs a kick in the pants

mbgrulz

Quote from: ajs15razorman on October 30, 2007, 07:06:10 pm
If he can stay out of foul trouble he will be a VERY good player.  Near the end of last year he couldn't stay on the floor very long because of foul trouble, but while he was in he made an impact.  He was just couple spots away from being a 5-star out of high school.
you have to understand that as a player, when you go in for spot duty, you are trying to make as big a splash as you can to impress the coach. you know that you will only be in for a few minutes, so you put the petal to the metal while your in. that is why he was fouling so much. it is not the major issue that people make it out to be.

Quite Frankly

Mike W never sees the floor in the NBA. 

nughaud

Raw talent is everywhere, and sure he has it, but I haven't seen this NBA talent that others are speaking of.  We also had the top scorer out of Cali here years back and he was a bust.  Talent can only get you on the court, it's another thing to begin to harness it.  I hope he does mold himself into a star, but I have yet to see any of it so far.

Modsquad24

Washington will play in the pros and will mature avoiding all this trouble, as far as the cell phone talking about stuff you go to jail for, I know alot of college athletes that are involved in stuff it happens, thats part of being 18-22, but usually they grow up and thats all you can hope for. I remember when I was that age, I sure as hell could of been in lots more trouble than I was in, just comes with the territory of being youthful, GHG!