Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will the Hogs score 100 this year?

Started by Hogtropolis™, October 28, 2007, 06:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

The Hogs scored 90 or more points twice last year and 80 or more points 8 times last year.

The last time we scored 100 in a game was in 2005 against Portland State and the time before that was in 2004 against Prairie View A&M.  Those were the only times in Heath's tenure that Arkansas scored over 100 in a single game.

I really don't care what we're scoring as long as we are winning, but my question is, does anyone think the new style of offense that Pel is implementing get us back to scoring 100 points in a game every now and then against SEC quality teams.

To answer my own question, I wouldn't be surprised to see us put up 100+ against some of the lower quality SEC teams and I would expect us to put up 100+ against some of our non-conference opponents.

Thoughts?

mbgrulz

playing faster means more possessions.

more possessions means more shots.

more shots means more makes.

we will definately score 100+ more often.

also, don't be shocked if we give up more points than last year. the avg. margin of victory will make up for that though.

Bomis Hawg

Possession/Game should improve from Heath's style to Pelphrey's style.
I bet they do in non-conference play a couple of times.

Should be fun.

Dr Swineglove

Yes - absolutely yes - the real question, in my opinion, will be wither or not the Hogs will score 100 in a meaningful game, and not just some non-con creampuff.  I'm betting the answer to that one will also be yes.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

slopinhogs

i don't care if they only scoire 50 as long as they win . a100 point game would just be icing on the season.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

booogaga

i sure hope we score 100. when was the last time we did that?
GO HOGS!

booogaga

Quote from: slopinhogs on October 28, 2007, 09:48:26 pm
i don't care if they only scoire 50 as long as they win . a100 point game would just be icing on the season.
i totally understand your point and i am not disagreeing with you. a win is a win. but we won a lot of games last year only scoring 50 to 70 points but the games were so boring that no one came to watch. i think scoring more will pack the house and pump up the team when they play the big guns. when we play kentucky and tenn. i could care less if we only score 40 as long as we win. because having a loud and enthusiastic crowd in attendance will be so awesome. and i think the players will respond. the stan heath era really turned the basketball fan base apathetic. they didnt care because the product was so drab.
GO HOGS!

dotnet

I think it would have to take a really bad team throwing in the towel for us to score 100 in conference.  Scoring a 100 pts in 40 minutes is really hard to do against a decent team.  I don't think North Carolina (and their 12 mcdonalds AA) did it in the ACC.  If they did, it wasn't often.

Carrmaduke

I don't see it happening in conference. But it could happen enough in the non-conference for us to average more than 90/game going into January.

GO  :razorback:

booogaga

i see it happening in the early part of the schedule when we play  phoenix online etc. lol
GO HOGS!

hogfan47

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on October 28, 2007, 06:57:36 pm
The Hogs scored 90 or more points twice last year and 80 or more points 8 times last year.

The last time we scored 100 in a game was in 2005 against Portland State and the time before that was in 2004 against Prairie View A&M.  Those were the only times in Heath's tenure that Arkansas scored over 100 in a single game.

I really don't care what we're scoring as long as we are winning, but my question is, does anyone think the new style of offense that Pel is implementing get us back to scoring 100 points in a game every now and then against SEC quality teams.

To answer my own question, I wouldn't be surprised to see us put up 100+ against some of the lower quality SEC teams and I would expect us to put up 100+ against some of our non-conference opponents.

Thoughts?

not sure on scoring a 100 .
I want a sweet 16 birth
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

VenturaHog

I think we will for sure in the non conference

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Carrmaduke on October 29, 2007, 05:39:02 pm
I don't see it happening in conference. But it could happen enough in the non-conference for us to average more than 90/game going into January.

90+ average in non-conference games.  That would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

boredatwork

putting up high point totals and putting the opponent away early seem like a good way to get the freshmen some PT.

chiefsfan

its possible, but you forget half of scoring 100 is on the other team to make mistakes and give you more posessions.   Might happen in non conference, but in the SEC, teams take care of the ball better which translates to fewer posessions for Arkansas

100 points was in the Nolan Days when we never stopped running
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on October 29, 2007, 09:17:15 pm

90+ average in non-conference games.  That would be nice, but I don't see it happening.
Quote from: chiefsfan on October 30, 2007, 05:44:44 pm
its possible, but you forget half of scoring 100 is on the other team to make mistakes and give you more posessions.   Might happen in non conference, but in the SEC, teams take care of the ball better which translates to fewer posessions for Arkansas

100 points was in the Nolan Days when we never stopped running

There might be a game or two during the regular season where the Hogs reach 100, but even reaching 80 and 90 more often would be a plus, granted the other team has less.

I do not see us averaging 90 a game going into the conference season.  The schedule has enough quality non-conference teams on there to keep that from happening, but if the opponent plays an up tempo game then scoring 90 more consistently would come easier.  Nolan's best teams averaged around 90, but then again those were talented teams with a good combination of inside scoring and three point shooting, to go along with the pressure defense.

Hogtropolis™

Looks like that was answered already.  Even if you don't count the exhibition game, after seeing that performance, I feel a lot more confident in saying that we will score 100 again at some point in the season.  Now the only question is will we be able to do it against an SEC team.

razorhead69

With our weak schedule early we should score 100 a few times.

Dr Swineglove

I think last Friday answers a lot of questions, in terms of Pel's style of play.  The Hogs are going to run and gun this year.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient