Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could have any coach would it still be Malzahn?

Started by ebay286, September 23, 2007, 01:25:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ebay286

I know Nutt needs to be gone but I hear lots of ppl saying they wish Gus was the head coach.  I know he would probably be better than Nutt but is he the best we can get?

slopinhogs

didn't think of him as head coach ,but the real OC is what i was thinking.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

ark30inf

1) No, not the best we can get....this year
2) He ain't never coming back

And lets face it.....we could get a committee of Tom Landry, Steve Spurrier, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, and Bear Bryant to coach next year and its still going to be a nightmare of a season with whats left in the cupboard.  So we are going to have to fork over lots of dough and lots of slack to get somebody decent in here.

TransAmHawg

Yes. 
Why not?  We are not going to be good for a long time now that we've allowed the buffoons in power to screw things up so bad. You pick which buffoons. Gus will one day be the next Urban Meyers or Pete Carrol. If he was to be our coach his loyalty to the state of Arkansas and his style of play would make us a regular contender is the SEC race. We'd be EVEN with Florida, LSU, Bama.
He's that good.

First things first.

FIRE THEM ALL, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

JadedHog

i would take gus even without college head coaching experience...........he is a top-shelf coach..........he will make a great head coach someday

jackflash

right now I want Nutt gone?  Would want a proven recruiter, who would higher proven ass would could recruit.  Like Gus but do not know if I would hire him yet

BadDogGHSDogPound

2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

No. He is unproven and I want a proven winning ont his level, not an up-and-comer.

joeyself

I don't even pretend to know who the good available coaches would be, but I'd not be a bit hesitant to bring Gus in as a head coach.  I'd hope he could keep Rocker and ditch the rest of the staff, but even if it cost us Rocker, I'm good with that.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

The Marmot

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 23, 2007, 01:56:04 pm
Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2007, 01:54:05 pm
right now I want Nutt gone?  Would want a proven recruiter, who would higher proven ass would could recruit.  Like Gus but do not know if I would hire him yet

Huh ?

Too much wine at church...
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

jackwalker

yes.  I think it would be the only just thing to do.

After the way he was railroaded.  Making him Houston's replacment would be justice at its highest.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

Razorsharp

I love Gus but I don't believe he would come back at this time.  He is to polarizing .  I do want him to be the HC eventually, but I just wonder if it would keep the state as divided as it already is.
Hire Gus!

akp4105

bigredone

I would gladly welcome Gus back but at this point is is ABN!

akp4105

I understand that. But with no head coaching experience in D1 college football, it would be hard to hire him. I would love it, I just dont think White or Long or whoever will make the decision will think it's the best idea. I hope so though. If not, then bring Graham and have Malzahn as OC.

TorsinAHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 23, 2007, 01:31:09 pm
Gus will be a great hire. I would have no reservations about hiring him as head coach come December. You know he will hire great assistants and great assistants will love to work for him. Great assistants who are or have worked for good BCS schools would want to work for him so he would have no trouble getting guys who know how to recruit as well as coach.

I'll take true talent over someone with college head coaching experience. No more Murray St or Boise head coaches for me thank you !

I would take the current boise HC.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hawgsav1

Quote from: TorsinAHog on September 23, 2007, 02:27:05 pm
Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 23, 2007, 01:31:09 pm
Gus will be a great hire. I would have no reservations about hiring him as head coach come December. You know he will hire great assistants and great assistants will love to work for him. Great assistants who are or have worked for good BCS schools would want to work for him so he would have no trouble getting guys who know how to recruit as well as coach.

I'll take true talent over someone with college head coaching experience. No more Murray St or Boise head coaches for me thank you !

I would take the current boise HC.

Thank you.  I've been saying Chris Petersen for a 12049812049809 years now.  He's done really well at Boise.  and by the way, Malzahn will NOT reunite the state.  People who dislike Houston Nutt also dislike Malzahn also.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

TorsinAHog

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2007, 01:54:05 pm

+1 for making me laugh
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Animal-374

When the Nutt leaves Arkansas is not going to be able to attract a existing good dvision 1 coach, so why not Gus. of course i think Frank is going to give Nutt a 3 year contract as a parting good old boy gift

NEAHawgfan

Hell no, his offense looked silly against OU. Get off the Gus love bus people!!!

Shizzle

I would love to see Gus as our HC I know growing pains would come along with him, but the man has a vision and he knows how to attain it. he lacks experience but he is a winner and a great talent evaluator
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

akp4105

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on September 23, 2007, 02:34:08 pm
Hell no, his offense looked silly against OU. Get off the Gus love bus people!!!

How did Miami's offense look against OU?

Razorsharp

He had more offense and scored more TDS than the other teams OU played.  He didn't have the players to get it done.  The defense of TU is what let the game get out of hand.  OU just flat has more talent.
Hire Gus!

HAWGTROT

Yea, it was so silly that they scored more point than the last three oponents combined aginst the 2nd ranked defense in D1.

burt

no if we could have any coach it would be pete carroll, urban meyer, les miles, bob stoops, nick saban, steve spurrier, bill belechick, tony dungy, mark richt or tommy tuberville.

Ross U (HDHF)

Get Gus and break the bank on some top-notch assistants.

akp4105

Quote from: burt on September 23, 2007, 02:48:37 pm
no if we could have any coach it would be pete carroll, urban meyer, les miles, bob stoops, nick saban, steve spurrier, bill belechick, tony dungy, mark richt or tommy tuberville.

tommy tuberville should not be in that list

Coondog Hog

No to Gus, yes to Gary Patterson, or Boisie's Peterson, or Gruden
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

BigDrDon

Remember Gerry Faust,great high school stuff but just couldn't get-r-done on the D1 level,and he did have a lot of talent to work with at ND .but we have to start somewhere and sooner than later.So I'd saygive it a try with Gus.We know what to expect if we keep HDN.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

Coondog Hog

Quote from: akp4105 on September 23, 2007, 02:54:47 pm
Quote from: burt on September 23, 2007, 02:48:37 pm

tommy tuberville should not be in that list

He is HDN + Luck nothing more
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Hugulus Hog

L.A.

I've been thinking about this lately if Nutt we're gone who could we really go after and I think a great choice would be Ron Zook.  I know he didn't do great at Florida but it's always hard to follow a legend (Spurrier).  He's put together some great recruiting classes at Illinois so imagine what he could do at Arkansas.

Tortfeasor

What has Gus done to deserve being a head coach at a major school?  Nothing!  Enough with Gus and Mustain.  They are gone and I wish some would just get over it.

Pigmund Freud

Whoever we bring in, if that could ever even happen that TEFLON  man would go, should be given plenty of time( 5 years) .  But I would rather lose for a while , if necessary,and enjoy cheering for a team I knew was prepared and trying. Bringing in Gus would be a terrific repudiation of the Nutt decade, something I would personally enjoy, but I don't know if there is a Saban-like deity out there now who could save us immediately, like at Alabama.

You bring in a good man of character with the backing of a new AD and we should be competing in the SEC after a while. The reason we are stuck is because the current regime Frank on down, has convinced the fan base that we can't do better . This is a lie, especially when you look at what smaller schools are doing to some major powers this year. It is a matter of Want -to , and our present athletic department is happy where it is.

Godfather

The most important thing (from the UA perspective) is to fill the seats.  Gus my be the only hope to get the seats back to full after the dropoff we are about to experience.
WPS to the end.

Frank and Swine

I would be happy to see Gus come back as a HC.  However, the one man I would really like to see come in as HC is Jimmy Johnson at this point in time.  Next year will be tough no matter who the coach is, so JJ would bring instant attention and credibility to the program.  Recruiting will be priority #1 and I think top talent would sign with him.  JJ doesn't need the job or money, so if he took the reins it would be only for the sake of his alma mater.  Of course FB will have to be out of the picture.

heathman

NO!  I want a fresh start.  Away from all that has gone on.

RazorWild

come on guys.....GUS IS A HIGH SCHOOL COACH
he's unproven (granted nutt didn't give em a chance)
He might have been a  great OC, but I really feel we can get an up and coming coach

Then again homer simpson might be better than the nuttless wonder

dafe1

Whoever said Ron Zook.. just no. He is not a good coach.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: HAWGTROT on September 23, 2007, 02:47:59 pm
Yea, it was so silly that they scored more point than the last three oponents combined aginst the 2nd ranked defense in D1.
I thought you guys were against moral victories!!!! Come on, I hate HDN just like the rest of us, but Gus is running the equivelant to the "Run and Shoot." It looks pretty sometimes, but it NEVER wins in the end. I'm all for mixing it up. I'm all for going 5 wide sometimes. (which is what he wanted to do here) But what he's doing at Tulsa won't win consistantly in a big time conference. That's NOT however what he wanted to do here. He was hand tied by an egotistical head coach who couldn't stand anyone else getting any pub. We need a proven recruiter and a solid name. Good luck with that.

razorbackmkh

Let's just think of who may have openings next year:

1. Michigan
2. Notre Dame
3. TAMU

And it's only three games into the season. A lot of posters are saying they don't want an up and comer. Well, you may just have to deal with it. Unless we convince Long and the BOT to shell out the big bucks, the market will be extremely competitive after the season. Gus would not be a bad bargain for Arkansas. As another poster stated, other coaches want to work for Gus, players want to play for Gus, he runs a fun offense and can design plays to utilize whatever talent is available. He loves the state and his loyalties would be with the Hogs. We would have the benefit of knowing he won't bail on the Hogs the first time a "better gig" comes along. Just my two cents. And I'm not even from Springdale.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

TransAmHawg

Quote from: Tortfeasor on September 23, 2007, 03:13:53 pm
What has Gus done to deserve being a head coach at a major school?  Nothing!  Enough with Gus and Mustain.  They are gone and I wish some would just get over it.

Stellar record as a highschool coach. 14-0 his last year as a highschool coach with the player of the year and several highly recruited players and an offer to be the OC for the Razorbacks, an SEC team.
  OC of the year his first year as a D-1 coach, 10-4 overall with Dale keeping him from doing anything to begin with and as the year went on Gus was slowly removed totally from doing anything.
  This season he's the OC for Tulsa, a school with 4000 students and players from someone else. He's installed his offense and has only lost because the D is not good at all. Scored more points on OU than all the others combined. He can recruit Arkansas and the whole country for that matter after what he's done at Tulsa in three game.
   He could out do our staff single handed. I don't think you can give me any reason to have hire Dale let alone keep the DORK.

It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

alohawg

Troy Aikman, smart guy, proven winner, great name recognition etc... just pay him whatever it takes. I would gladly donate for that. Oh' and he's somewhat familar with the concept of the forward pass.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

turbo2000

No problem with hiring Gus as HC. He is smart and will learn from his mistakes. Unlike Nutt who will not or cannot admit to making mistakes, rather he blames the mistakes on others.

Animal-374

gone but not forgotten. A fleeting memory of a winning season

Amityvillehogger

I dont care....clean house and learn from this. EXAMPLE: Stan Heath, Houston Nutt.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Snarlton

September 23, 2007, 04:35:06 pm #48 Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:57:03 pm by Snarlton

HAWGTROT

Quote from: RazorWild on September 23, 2007, 03:47:50 pm
come on guys.....GUS IS A HIGH SCHOOL COACH
he's unproven (granted nutt didn't give em a chance)
He might have been a  great OC, but I really feel we can get an up and coming coach

Then again homer simpson might be better than the nuttless wonder
OK, RazorWild- Lets say if Tulsa goes 12-1 and playes Arkansas in a bowl game and wins. Would that change your mind?