Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All discussion about TU's offense post-OU game is here (merged threads)

Started by island hog, September 21, 2007, 11:28:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigmania

Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 10:24:06 am
Quote from: rmcchris on September 22, 2007, 10:20:57 am
Hey, see if you guys can follow my logic on this and per comments in my last paragraph.

The Tulsa offense is way to one dimensional.  Try these points on for consideration. 

3rd down and a lot to go (20 yds or so) and Gee Wheez Gus called that play, the smoke draw up the middle.

4th and one and Gus's offense can't get a first down.

HUNH allows the other team offense to be on the field quickly and score 62 points.  Even with a good defense, they will loose a lot of games.

No balance in Gus's offense, at half TWO YARDS rushing and for the game 44 yards.  So what if you pass for 354, yards are yards.

ESPN talked more about the Hogs offense than Tulsa's during a long stretch of commentary.

2 Interceptions, too many turnovers, just like too many fumbles.

Now the logic from my viewpoint.   I actually like Gus and think he will be very good as time goes on.  I'm for sure not a Hugger and do not like the integrity issue with HDN.  But the game is the game and shakes out in many different ways and is not always because of coaching.  Think about this the next time you continue to bash our coaches and university.
why do you guys keep bringing up the rushing yds?  He attempted to rush as much as he passed, just was unable to based o-line vs. d-line.

Pulled out....
Pork, you ever noticed how the Nutt Huggers always create a list of problems with Gus and his offense, then at the end of their post they always say how much the like him or have nothing against him? Example above. These people are pathetic. At least when we list all the problems with the Nuttster, we end it by saying we can't stand him and hold everything against him.

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: razorhead69 on September 22, 2007, 07:45:25 am
Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 22, 2007, 07:43:41 am
Quote from: razorhead69 on September 22, 2007, 07:37:56 am
I could care less and really have no opinion of Gus. Hope he does well but shiite guys 62-21 says plenty. All that yardage should produce more than 21.
Nope dead wrong. The same guy was not running his offense against USC.

Yep,  it says Tulsa doesn't have the athletes to hang with OU at this time.  You would think all the athletes Arkansas has would produce more than 17 and 14 points against USC.

Couldn't agree more. ;D

Same guy was OC in both games. ;)
Quote from: lrhog2007 on September 22, 2007, 09:35:54 am
My problem with this thread...If UA had lost to OU 62-21 you'd all call for the governor's head.  Tulsa (yes, TULSA!) loses 62-21 and you find positives all over the field.  Let's drop the Tulsa crap, remember who YOUR TEAM is, and support Hogs against KU.
We'd be pissed becuase Arkansas as the ability to be a powerhouse. Tulsa isn't even close. Yet there offense still looked awesome and fun. There recievers were wide open. Had two balls not been tipped that should have been caught by there recievers they would have scored more points. They were a far less supperior talented team that put up some impressive Numbers offensively.

Jim Harris

Quote from: pigmania on September 21, 2007, 11:41:36 pm
Quote from: island hog on September 21, 2007, 11:28:18 pm
based on what I saw tonight.  It reminded me too much of the old Oiler offense with Warren Moon...much like our current offense, it's too one dimensional for me.  I would much prefer a pro style, OU type offense...nothing against Malzahn, I like him, but I'm not convinced that a wide open offense will work full time. 

Hogs 41, KU 20
Nearly 450 yds of total offense against the #2 defense in the country is not too bad.

scoreboard
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hog inAustin

450 yards and a butt-kickin doesn't do squat for me and for anyone else on the losin' end...it is what is on the scoreboard that matters...look back a week and see what I mean.

pigmania

Quote from: Hog inAustin on September 22, 2007, 11:37:33 am
450 yards and a butt-kickin doesn't do squat for me and for anyone else on the losin' end...it is what is on the scoreboard that matters...look back a week and see what I mean.
Then maybe all the huggers should stop bragging about how many yds. the Hogs and DMAC gained last week against Bama, because the scoreboard is what counts, right?

hogfanforlife

Its getting hard to tell if a hugger is someone with blind allegiance to Nutt or to Gus

Go Hogs!

island hog

Boy...I stated a simple thought last night and look how it takes on a life of its own! 

Look...I like seeing run and shoot offenses on tv (which the TU offense is, only they don't huddle).  They are exciting and fun, but I just don't want that type of offense for the Hogs.  More times than not, it keeps your defense on the field much to long and doesn't have the balance that I like, personally.  That being said, unfortunatley when the Hogs have a decent passing game I get excited that they actually did something...and this is the litmus test for me regarding this offense.  We need more balance and I think that it is coming...Dick II, Pick and Youngblood will offer more than we have at qb from a talent standpoint and will let us open the offense up more.  I know it can be done because Stoerner's offense had more options in it than this one.  I wish Lee would open up the offense because when we do, we show signs of making it work. It's coming with the lower echelon teams up next on the schedule.

I have nothing against Malzahn and am ambivilent about Nutt, but I wonder how many of these threads would be alive today if the Bama receiver had dropped that pass in the endzone.  I look for the Hogs to win by two tds today...

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: stevenwayneslane on September 22, 2007, 11:23:09 am
I could care less and really have no opinion of Gus. Hope he does well but shiite guys 62-21 says plenty. All that yardage should produce more than 21.
Nope dead wrong. The same guy was not running his offense against USC.

Yep,  it says Tulsa doesn't have the athletes to hang with OU at this time.  You would think all the athletes Arkansas has would produce more than 17 and 14 points against USC.

Couldn't agree more. ;D

Quote from: lrhog2007 on September 22, 2007, 09:35:54 am
My problem with this thread...If UA had lost to OU 62-21 you'd all call for the governor's head.  Tulsa (yes, TULSA!) loses 62-21 and you find positives all over the field.  Let's drop the Tulsa crap, remember who YOUR TEAM is, and support Hogs against KU.
We'd be pissed becuase Arkansas as the ability to be a powerhouse. Tulsa isn't even close. Yet there offense still looked awesome and fun. There recievers were wide open. Had two balls not been tipped that should have been caught by there recievers they would have scored more points. They were a far less supperior talented team that put up some impressive Numbers offensively.

Not to say that Arkansas COULD'T become a powerhouse in CFB, but what suggests to you that they SHOULD be? BTW this is totally independent of Coach Nutt, because we weren't a powerhouse long before hot here and it is my opinion that we won't be one long after he's gone, although I sure would like to find out about the latter sooner rather than later.

VRaptor

Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 10:10:41 am
Quote from: VRaptor on September 22, 2007, 08:28:42 am
Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 08:11:00 am

Couldn't agree more. ;D

yep, Nutty was OC in both games!  ;)

Pulled out....

If you believe that then you have to give Nutt props for letting Gus accept his(Nutts) OCOY award. Just a thought :)
dipshiit, you do realize that gus was not on staff for that first game with USC?  that was my point.  Also, how long did it take for us to score in the second game when running the HUNH?  Go ahead and get back to me on that one.

Pulled out...

your only point seems to be on the top of your head. Since my comment was about the OCOY award obviously I was talking about when he was here. Your POINT means less than nothing to me. Glad it got under your skin though. Damn you people are easy!!

DSW

Quote from: TDHog on September 22, 2007, 07:51:27 am
Quote from: DSW on September 22, 2007, 04:01:14 am
Wow.  A few words come to mind after that debacle I saw tonight.

Fraud
Gimmicky
Exposed
Overrated
Run and Shoot for Highschoolers

No thank you.  Clearly, Frank's so-called experts were right.  That crap might work in the Sun Belt or the C-USA, but no way does it win week in and week out against major conference teams.  Sure, you can get lucky since the offense can be a great equalizer with inferior talent, but it aint gonna win jack shiite routinely.  Good defenses with any quickness will crush this pop warner high school crap.

If you have a wealth of talent at your disposal like OU or Florida, you might be able to get it to work.  But why try if you are an upper echelon school?  The DC must hate this crap, especially if the OC gets his way and actually runs it with the HUNH.  Talk about a crazy system!

Exposed!  Thank goodness we got rid of that pile of excrement last year.  Good riddance.  I'll happily take DMac and David Lee for 38 at Bama over that junk.  What a joke.

TOP was almost equal
TU doesn't have the talent regardless of offense
More yards and points than Miami
Defense is not Gus's job

Nice post troll, did mommy let you stay up late or did you catch sportcenter this morning.

LMAO.  Troll - that's funny.  How about Hugger too?  Any other names you want to call me?

By all means, don't let facts get in your way.  TU definitely had a lot to be proud about last night - LOL.  You sound like all the people who talk about our moral victories too.  That's so weak.

hoghevn

I cannot believe all the new posters jumping on here to criticize Gus and his offense.  You huggers are so scared Gus is going to be successful and make Nutt look bad, you're jumping at any little chance to shoot him down.  Why don't you have the decency to wait 7 or 8 years before you make an opinion like us darksiders have given Nutt?  Gus is a coach who according to Nutt & Broyles shouldn't be at the college level in the first place & runs an offense that "Won't Work", although Florida won the NC with it, and copied Gus' "Wild Hog" package doing it........  Well, here are some facts for you, I ask you to HONESTLY read these and THINK. 

1.   Tulsa in Gus' 3rd game of his first season as an ASSISTANT coach (Offensive Coordinator) at a school that 5 years ago barely voted not to disband the football program.  TU also has worse facilities than 4 of Tulsa's area high schools. (I know, I live here in Tulsa and personally know 2 of the high-school coaches).  OK, he loses 62-21 (41 point spread) but scores more points against OU than Miami - (remember now, Gus is responsible for the offense).
2.   Nutt in the 8th year as a HEAD COACH loses to USC 70-17 (53 point deficit) with both McFadden & Jones playing in that game.  TU's offense scored more points with less talent.
3.   Nutt in the 9th year as HEAD COACH loses to USC 50-14 (36 point deficit) AT HOME.  Once again, McFadden (albeit he was not 100% that game) and Jones were on the field.  Once again, TU's offense scored more points with less talent.
4.   Arkansas' ONLY bright spot in the USC game is a FRESHMAN QB trained by Gus himself who marches down the field the FIRST time he ever plays in a college game and guides his team to an immediate TD.
5.   This unheralded QB, is forced out and leaves for USC at season's end & is now being touted by USC's coach to be one of the greatest up & coming QB's in the world of collegiate football.

Nutt in his 8th & 9th year as the Headcoach, gets beat worse than or as badly as TU did last night, not to mention the drubbing the Hogs took in other years against other SEC teams.  You guys getting on here to publicly criticize Gus & then defend Nutt and make excuses after a decade of performances that are worse year in & year out only goes to show how truly pathetic, ignorant and stupid you truly are.

I was at the game last night, all the OU fans were VERY impressed with Gus and his play calling.  I had many discussions and ALL of them were commenting on the fact that they could NOT believe Arkansas let him get away.  Several made comments as to how TU's offense looked sharper and more prepared than Miami's and how good the passing game was.  If was ironic to hear OU fans say that if Arkansas had Gus' passing offense combined with Mcfadden & Jones in our backfield we would be INCREDIBLE.

Gus has had 3 games.  Nutt has had 10 years.  You get on here and criticize Gus?  The fact you huggers even started threads with negative comments about Gus & his offense says it all............the only difference between the darksiders and the huggers is that the former are willing to admit the truth & see things for the way they really are.

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: hoghevn on September 22, 2007, 12:30:06 pm
I cannot believe all the new posters jumping on here to criticize Gus and his offense.  You huggers are so scared Gus is going to be successful and make Nutt look bad, you're jumping at any little chance to shoot him down.  Why don't you have the decency to wait 7 or 8 years before you make an opinion like us darksiders have given Nutt?  Gus is a coach who according to Nutt & Broyles shouldn't be at the college level in the first place & runs an offense that "Won't Work", although Florida won the NC with it, and copied Gus' "Wild Hog" package doing it........  Well, here are some facts for you, I ask you to HONESTLY read these and THINK. 

1.   Tulsa in Gus' 3rd game of his first season as an ASSISTANT coach (Offensive Coordinator) at a school that 5 years ago barely voted not to disband the football program.  TU also has worse facilities than 4 of Tulsa's area high schools. (I know, I live here in Tulsa and personally know 2 of the high-school coaches).  OK, he loses 62-21 (41 point spread) but scores more points against OU than Miami - (remember now, Gus is responsible for the offense).
2.   Nutt in the 8th year as a HEAD COACH loses to USC 70-17 (53 point deficit) with both McFadden & Jones playing in that game.  TU's offense scored more points with less talent.
3.   Nutt in the 9th year as HEAD COACH loses to USC 50-14 (36 point deficit) AT HOME.  Once again, McFadden (albeit he was not 100% that game) and Jones were on the field.  Once again, TU's offense scored more points with less talent.
4.   Arkansas' ONLY bright spot in the USC game is a FRESHMAN QB trained by Gus himself who marches down the field the FIRST time he ever plays in a college game and guides his team to an immediate TD.
5.   This unheralded QB, is forced out and leaves for USC at season's end & is now being touted by USC's coach to be one of the greatest up & coming QB's in the world of collegiate football.

Nutt in his 8th & 9th year as the Headcoach, gets beat worse than or as badly as TU did last night, not to mention the drubbing the Hogs took in other years against other SEC teams.  You guys getting on here to publicly criticize Gus & then defend Nutt and make excuses after a decade of performances that are worse year in & year out only goes to show how truly pathetic, ignorant and stupid you truly are.

I was at the game last night, all the OU fans were VERY impressed with Gus and his play calling.  I had many discussions and ALL of them were commenting on the fact that they could NOT believe Arkansas let him get away.  Several made comments as to how TU's offense looked sharper and more prepared than Miami's and how good the passing game was.  If was ironic to hear OU fans say that if Arkansas had Gus' passing offense combined with Mcfadden & Jones in our backfield we would be INCREDIBLE.

Gus has had 3 games.  Nutt has had 10 years.  You get on here and criticize Gus?  The fact you huggers even started threads with negative comments about Gus & his offense says it all............the only difference between the darksiders and the huggers is that the former are willing to admit the truth & see things for the way they really are.

You prove you don't know what you're talking about in your first paragraph when you claim that UF won a MNC running Gus's offensive system. They did NOT. They won using a variation of the spread offense. Gus's offensive philosophy in the no huddle which can utilize any formation , not just the spread. Any fan of football knows that the spread can succeed at any level. It is up for debate whether Gus's no huddle philosophy can succeed at the college level.

Oh and let me say this, part of being a good assistant coach is doing what's best for your team, not for your unit. That means as an OC incorporating whatever offense will help your whole team win games, if you have a weak defense, maybe you should consider running an offense that keeps them off the field as much as possible. Doing otherwise is not team work, it is just selfish, me first coaching.

hoghevn

Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 12:40:28 pm
I cannot believe all the new posters jumping on here to criticize Gus and his offense.  You huggers are so scared Gus is going to be successful and make Nutt look bad, you’re jumping at any little chance to shoot him down.  Why don’t you have the decency to wait 7 or 8 years before you make an opinion like us darksiders have given Nutt?  Gus is a coach who according to Nutt & Broyles shouldn’t be at the college level in the first place & runs an offense that “Won’t Work”, although Florida won the NC with it, and copied Gus’ “Wild Hog” package doing it……..  Well, here are some facts for you, I ask you to HONESTLY read these and THINK. 

1.   Tulsa in Gus’ 3rd game of his first season as an ASSISTANT coach (Offensive Coordinator) at a school that 5 years ago barely voted not to disband the football program.  TU also has worse facilities than 4 of Tulsa’s area high schools. (I know, I live here in Tulsa and personally know 2 of the high-school coaches).  OK, he loses 62-21 (41 point spread) but scores more points against OU than Miami - (remember now, Gus is responsible for the offense).
2.   Nutt in the 8th year as a HEAD COACH loses to USC 70-17 (53 point deficit) with both McFadden & Jones playing in that game.  TU’s offense scored more points with less talent.
3.   Nutt in the 9th year as HEAD COACH loses to USC 50-14 (36 point deficit) AT HOME.  Once again, McFadden (albeit he was not 100% that game) and Jones were on the field.  Once again, TU’s offense scored more points with less talent.
4.   Arkansas’ ONLY bright spot in the USC game is a FRESHMAN QB trained by Gus himself who marches down the field the FIRST time he ever plays in a college game and guides his team to an immediate TD.
5.   This unheralded QB, is forced out and leaves for USC at season’s end & is now being touted by USC’s coach to be one of the greatest up & coming QB’s in the world of collegiate football.

I was at the game last night, all the OU fans were VERY impressed with Gus and his play calling.  I had many discussions and ALL of them were commenting on the fact that they could NOT believe Arkansas let him get away.  Several made comments as to how TU’s offense looked sharper and more prepared than Miami’s and how good the passing game was.  If was ironic to hear OU fans say that if Arkansas had Gus’ passing offense combined with Mcfadden & Jones in our backfield we would be INCREDIBLE.

Gus has had 3 games.  Nutt has had 10 years.  You get on here and criticize Gus?  The fact you huggers even started threads with negative comments about Gus & his offense says it all…………the only difference between the darksiders and the huggers is that the former are willing to admit the truth & see things for the way they really are.

You prove you don't know what you're talking about in your first paragraph when you claim that UF won a MNC running Gus's offensive system. They did NOT. They won using a variation of the spread offense. Gus's offensive philosophy in the no huddle which can utilize any formation , not just the spread. Any fan of football knows that the spread can succeed at any level. It is up for debate whether Gus's no huddle philosophy can succeed at the college level.

Oh and let me say this, part of being a good assistant coach is doing what's best for your team, not for your unit. That means as an OC incorporating whatever offense will help your whole team win games, if you have a weak defense, maybe you should consider running an offense that keeps them off the field as much as possible. Doing otherwise is not team work, it is just selfish, me first coaching.

OK Reggie Herring, is that your excuse for allowing 70 points against USC one year, 55 points the next and then spotting Bama 21 points in the first quarter this year because the offense didn't do what was best for your sorry defense?  Get real!!  Fact is, with Nut and fans like you it's always someone else's fault and if anyone disagrees with you.... well, their opinion or style of play that doesn't line up with Arkansas' obviously just won't work, because if it did, it would prove you wrong.  The FACTS just DON't stack up in your favor, only the excuses.....  After a DECADE all you have are excuses....  He's even blaming Casey Dick for the Bama loss because of that one play to divert attention away from Herring and himself and you are falling for it.

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: hoghevn on September 22, 2007, 12:52:17 pm
I cannot believe all the new posters jumping on here to criticize Gus and his offense.  You huggers are so scared Gus is going to be successful and make Nutt look bad, you’re jumping at any little chance to shoot him down.  Why don’t you have the decency to wait 7 or 8 years before you make an opinion like us darksiders have given Nutt?  Gus is a coach who according to Nutt & Broyles shouldn’t be at the college level in the first place & runs an offense that “Won’t Work”, although Florida won the NC with it, and copied Gus’ “Wild Hog” package doing it……..  Well, here are some facts for you, I ask you to HONESTLY read these and THINK. 

1.   Tulsa in Gus’ 3rd game of his first season as an ASSISTANT coach (Offensive Coordinator) at a school that 5 years ago barely voted not to disband the football program.  TU also has worse facilities than 4 of Tulsa’s area high schools. (I know, I live here in Tulsa and personally know 2 of the high-school coaches).  OK, he loses 62-21 (41 point spread) but scores more points against OU than Miami - (remember now, Gus is responsible for the offense).
2.   Nutt in the 8th year as a HEAD COACH loses to USC 70-17 (53 point deficit) with both McFadden & Jones playing in that game.  TU’s offense scored more points with less talent.
3.   Nutt in the 9th year as HEAD COACH loses to USC 50-14 (36 point deficit) AT HOME.  Once again, McFadden (albeit he was not 100% that game) and Jones were on the field.  Once again, TU’s offense scored more points with less talent.
4.   Arkansas’ ONLY bright spot in the USC game is a FRESHMAN QB trained by Gus himself who marches down the field the FIRST time he ever plays in a college game and guides his team to an immediate TD.
5.   This unheralded QB, is forced out and leaves for USC at season’s end & is now being touted by USC’s coach to be one of the greatest up & coming QB’s in the world of collegiate football.

I was at the game last night, all the OU fans were VERY impressed with Gus and his play calling.  I had many discussions and ALL of them were commenting on the fact that they could NOT believe Arkansas let him get away.  Several made comments as to how TU’s offense looked sharper and more prepared than Miami’s and how good the passing game was.  If was ironic to hear OU fans say that if Arkansas had Gus’ passing offense combined with Mcfadden & Jones in our backfield we would be INCREDIBLE.

Gus has had 3 games.  Nutt has had 10 years.  You get on here and criticize Gus?  The fact you huggers even started threads with negative comments about Gus & his offense says it all…………the only difference between the darksiders and the huggers is that the former are willing to admit the truth & see things for the way they really are.

OK Reggie Herring, is that your excuse for allowing 70 points against USC one year, 55 points the next and then spotting Bama 21 points in the first quarter this year because the offense didn't do what was best for your sorry defense?  Get real!!  Fact is, with Nut and fans like you it's always someone else's fault and if anyone disagrees with you.... well, their opinion or style of play that doesn't line up with Arkansas' obviously just won't work, because if it did, it would prove you wrong.  The FACTS just DON't stack up in your favor, only the excuses.....  After a DECADE all you have are excuses....  He's even blaming Casey Dick for the Bama loss because of that one play to divert attention away from Herring and himself and you are falling for it.

LOL - I never said that Nutt and or Herring weren't inept coaches . Quite the opposite, they are idiots. What does THAT have to do with Gus and his stupid no huddle offense?

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 01:00:21 pm
LOL - I never said that Nutt and or Herring weren't inept coaches . Quite the opposite, they are idiots. What does THAT have to do with Gus and his stupid no huddle offense?

Solid point, no chance it gets answered seriously. +1

Lake City Hog

My God people did you even watch the game? On many, many plays the ball was not snapped until the play clock was under 8 seconds. Look at the stats - time of possession was very close to equal.
I live in NE Arkansas and remember when Gus coached Hughes High School, primarily running the football. Why, because he had 2 really good backs. I think he won the 2a state championship one year with those guys. Gus is not a football God, he's just a very good OC. My only football is and always will be the HOGS!!, but I cannot deny the ability of a man just to make me feel better.
James

hoghevn

Quote from: hoghevn on September 22, 2007, 12:52:17 pm

My overall meaning to my original post was  -  The fact that all these new posters came on this board to slam Gus is because they are doing what they can to defend Nutt and his horrible coaching by saying we are better off without Gus.  I totally disagree.  The points you made concerned the nuances between the spread and no huddle, to a point valid but not relevant.  And Nutt and Broyles very PUBLICALLY called out Gus and openly criticized him and his skills and then Florida did copy his schemes into their offense.  While not a no huddle much more resembles Gus' approach than Broyle's run, run, screen pass or quick kick.  You were splitting hairs and missing the big picture.  There's a reason all these new posters got on here after last night's game and started slamming Gus.  When anyone is THAT openly defensive, they know and everyone else knows they're wrong.  I truly believe Gus will be a great college coach.  His offense is more balanced than people give him credit for it being and much more effective than ours.  A balanced offense is more enduring and over time more successful than a one-dimensional one.  It relies too heavily on having one or two great players and nothing else.  Great teams are just that, their teams, not a one or two man show.  If Nutt could have a balanced offense McFadden would be a shoe in for the Heisman, today, it's not a certainty.  But God do I hope he gets it despite Nutt.  I personally think he would fair even better in Gus' offense.  Or a more balanced one for that matter.

hoghevn

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on September 22, 2007, 01:19:18 pm

Solid point, no chance it gets answered seriously. +1

The above post is your answer. 

Scott E.

From the 7th row, the size and speed advantage of OU was very noticable.  Maroon helmets were 2"-4" above every gold helmet at every position.  It was a talent, size, and speed mismatch... yet, I watched the OU defense get picked apart with some crafty pass routes to the TE. 

If Nutt were calling his offense with TU's talent against OU's defense... it would have been a goose egg on the scoreboard.  What is -- is.

hawaiianhogster

Like I said before don't judge a persons abilities when they are totally outmatched on everything. His first year. Their third game of the year. New system. New coaches. I would like to see Arkansas play OK. Wait til we play LSU. Anyway it's to early to tell how good his offense will be. Give him five years at one school then judge him. His offense will work. Once he gets the right QB and that QB has had a couple of years running his offense watch out.

We are not better off without Gus. With Gus we would have won. Bank on it. Now watch what the Nutt does today. See Kentucky pass. See them score on every possession. See Arkansas run see them score every third possession.

PulledPork

Quote from: VRaptor on September 22, 2007, 12:11:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. ;D

Pulled out....

If you believe that then you have to give Nutt props for letting Gus accept his(Nutts) OCOY award. Just a thought :)
dipshiit, you do realize that gus was not on staff for that first game with USC?  that was my point.  Also, how long did it take for us to score in the second game when running the HUNH?  Go ahead and get back to me on that one.

Pulled out...

your only point seems to be on the top of your head. Since my comment was about the OCOY award obviously I was talking about when he was here. Your POINT means less than nothing to me. Glad it got under your skin though. Damn you people are easy!!
yeah, it was easy pointing out your ignorance....thanks for allowing me to play!

Pulled out....

PulledPork

Quote from: rmcchris on September 22, 2007, 10:31:30 am
Thanks Pulled. By the way, I really value your opinions and input.  Thanks

To answer your last question, because yards are yards,  and attempts are just that.  Different offenses can work and must be adjusted for the players at hand.
you're welcome

Pulled out...

Lord of the Hogs

For the record, although I am not a big fan of the HUNH (I won't say I'm not a fan of Gus's b/c I don't know his coaching well enough to make that determination, I simply don't like his choice of offense, or his unwillingness to adjust based on talent on the field. He's just like Herring's refusal to stop running so much man to man even though it's hurting his team.) Anyway back to my original point. for the record, I do think that we would be better off with Gus than we are without him, I also think that we're better off with Lee than we would be without him. Hell, we'd be better off with ME calling the plays than we would be having no one but the moron we call head coach calling the plays. I REALLY wanted to see a collaborative effort between Gus and Lee. THAT offense could have been devastating.

PulledPork

Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 02:03:28 pm
For the record, although I am not a big fan of the HUNH (I won't say I'm not a fan of Gus's b/c I don't know his coaching well enough to make that determination, I simply don't like his choice of offense, or his unwillingness to adjust based on talent on the field. He's just like Herring's refusal to stop running so much man to man even though it's hurting his team.) Anyway back to my original point. for the record, I do think that we would be better off with Gus than we are without him, I also think that we're better off with Lee than we would be without him. Hell, we'd be better off with ME calling the plays than we would be having no one but the moron we call head coach calling the plays. I REALLY wanted to see a collaborative effort between Gus and Lee. THAT offense could have been devastating.
tell me, what did he refuse to adjust last night?  Did you expect him to keep handing the ball off, knowing, that he was out manned at the line? He was playing catch up, what was he supposed to do, burn more clock?

Pulled out...

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 02:06:24 pm
Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 02:03:28 pm
tell me, what did he refuse to adjust last night?  Did you expect him to keep handing the ball off, knowing, that he was out manned at the line? He was playing catch up, what was he supposed to do, burn more clock?

Pulled out...

I'm talking about his overall philosophy not the play calling in ONE game. Under your theory we shouldn't be mad about the games that Nutt refuses to practice on the passing game in as long as we win. I don't care about what you did in one game, I care about overall philosophy.

Scott E.

Malzahn has ALWAYS adjusted his offense based on the talent he has and what the defense is doing.  That IS one of the fundamental basics of HIS offense.  And, of course, he was hired to implement his offense at Arkansas -- hence the title "offensive coordinator".  We all know that was never allowed.

Kitty Hog

It is amazing how so many seem to want Gus to fail. But he is not failing at Tulsa. I attend all Tulsa home games and his offense is so much fun to watch and is productive. And we are without our best RB Courtney Tennial, who sustained a season ending injury, so that will definitely affect the balance of the plays called. On the O-line, we only have one returning starter and 3 players that had never started, so what Tulsa is doing with a "new" O-line is terrific and we have a great chance to win our conference.....and Gus's offensive creativity is a big reason for that, along with Paul Smith......you know that inferior talent that Tulsa attracts!

Go TULSA and GO DMac!

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: KEYS on September 22, 2007, 02:12:11 pm
Malzahn has ALWAYS adjusted his offense based on the talent he has and what the defense is doing.  That IS one of the fundamental basics of HIS offense.  And, of course, he was hired to implement his offense at Arkansas -- hence the title "offensive coordinator".  We all know that was never allowed.

I am NOT referring to his playcalling. RUn , pass, whatever. I am talking about his desire to run the HUNH which IMO, and others, is not suited to college football.

Scott E.

Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 02:14:12 pm

I am NOT referring to his playcalling. RUn , pass, whatever. I am talking about his desire to run the HUNH which IMO, and others, is not suited to college football.

Are you one of JFB's "expuhts?"  LOL.

Seriously, if your opinion was shared by Nutt and Frank, then why hire Malzahn to be OC?  Was it to land recruits rather than implement the offense he's known for?  Hmmm... that sounds like an NCAA infraction. 

The fact is that nobody will know how effective Malzahn's offense will be at the D1 level until he has a chance to run it and recruit the skill players to execute it.  Let's revisit this discussion in a couple years.  Your opinion may change.

Lord of the Hogs

Quote from: KEYS on September 22, 2007, 02:19:15 pm
Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 02:14:12 pm

Are you one of JFB's "expuhts?"  LOL.

Seriously, if your opinion was shared by Nutt and Frank, then why hire Malzahn to be OC?  Was it to land recruits rather than implement the offense he's known for?  Hmmm... that sounds like an NCAA infraction. 

The fact is that nobody will know how effective Malzahn's offense will be at the D1 level until he has a chance to run it and recruit the skill players to execute it.  Let's revisit this discussion in a couple years.  Your opinion may change.

You damn well know that Gus was hired to get those signatures. Both sides used the kids to get what they wanted. It happens all time, everywhere though and the NCAA would find it very difficult to prove. As for Gus, I respect your right to have an opinion as I would hope you would respect mine. As for am I one of Frank's expuhts, If I were Nutt would have been getting on a plane to Lincoln all those years ago.

Scott E.

Quote from: Lord of the Hogs on September 22, 2007, 02:22:10 pm
As for am I one of Frank's expuhts, If I were Nutt would have been getting on a plane to Lincoln all those years ago.

Touche!  Nice hustle.

TikiHog

if you gamble and didn't load up on OU lastnight you should quit. Tulsa is well Tulsa and can't hang with the big boys. I knew that circus couldn't hang with OU's speed.

VRaptor

Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 01:56:32 pm
Quote from: VRaptor on September 22, 2007, 12:11:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. ;D

Pulled out....

Pulled out...

yeah, it was easy pointing out your ignorance....thanks for allowing me to play!

Pulled out....

guess you were pointing in the mirror then because you still haven't been able to refute anything I've said.

camden5r

Quote from: hogfanforlife on September 22, 2007, 11:47:02 am
Its getting hard to tell if a hugger is someone with blind allegiance to Nutt or to Gus

Go Hogs!
+1 I could not agree more!!!!!!!!

Lagavulin16

Quote from: HogMavFan on September 22, 2007, 12:54:50 am
Quote from: LedZepHog on September 22, 2007, 12:51:29 am
Quote from: HogMavFan on September 22, 2007, 12:27:25 am
How do you start a forum room. I want to start one that says Dean Weber is a major problem with our athletic dept. and should go out with Broyles and hopefully Nutt. He cost us the Alabama game with a misdiagnosed "concussion". Who wouldn't have a headache after that game. You don't recover from a concussion in one day.

You played in the band, didn't you?  What a ridiculous post.
Actually I didn't play in the band and I am a doctor that has worked on numerous people with concussions.
I'm calling a BS infraction here.  I "work" on my truck.  A doctor "treats" patients.

hogtheball

Quote from: Lagavulin16 on September 22, 2007, 05:09:23 pm
How do you start a forum room. I want to start one that says Dean Weber is a major problem with our athletic dept. and should go out with Broyles and hopefully Nutt. He cost us the Alabama game with a misdiagnosed "concussion". Who wouldn't have a headache after that game. You don't recover from a concussion in one day.

Actually I didn't play in the band and I am a doctor that has worked on numerous people with concussions.
I'm calling a BS infraction here.  I "work" on my truck.  A doctor "treats" patients.

I agree.  Also, you would be a doctor "who" has worked on numerous patients, not "that."  Most doctors have at least remedial English skills. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HOGPICKER

Quote from: PulledPork on September 22, 2007, 10:24:06 am
Quote from: rmcchris on September 22, 2007, 10:20:57 am
Hey, see if you guys can follow my logic on this and per comments in my last paragraph.

The Tulsa offense is way to one dimensional.  Try these points on for consideration. 

3rd down and a lot to go (20 yds or so) and Gee Wheez Gus called that play, the smoke draw up the middle.

4th and one and Gus's offense can't get a first down.

HUNH allows the other team offense to be on the field quickly and score 62 points.  Even with a good defense, they will loose a lot of games.

No balance in Gus's offense, at half TWO YARDS rushing and for the game 44 yards.  So what if you pass for 354, yards are yards.

ESPN talked more about the Hogs offense than Tulsa's during a long stretch of commentary.

2 Interceptions, too many turnovers, just like too many fumbles.

Now the logic from my viewpoint.   I actually like Gus and think he will be very good as time goes on.  I'm for sure not a Hugger and do not like the integrity issue with HDN.  But the game is the game and shakes out in many different ways and is not always because of coaching.  Think about this the next time you continue to bash our coaches and university.
why do you guys keep bringing up the rushing yds?  He attempted to rush as much as he passed, just was unable to based o-line vs. d-line.

Pulled out....
He didn't come close to attempting as many rushes as passes.  Smith is credited with 14 rushes for -20.  Do ya really think those were rush attempts.  Well, I watched the game and recall serveral of his 'rushes' being pass attempts.  Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 47 pass attempts to 26 rushes.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogtheball on September 22, 2007, 09:21:12 pm

I agree.  Also, you would be a doctor "who" has worked on numerous patients, not "that."  Most doctors have at least remedial English skills. 
You guys are dumb...  How many doctors you been around with perfect "grammar"?  English is what you speak, smart guy, grammar is the words you use and how you use them. 

Last time I checked they focused more on medicine after they got their bach degree.  According to you everyone with a Bach degree should speak perfect English...  Sorry but I grew up in Arkansas and that is not the case at all.

Not saying the guy is not full of it though.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogtheball

Quote from: BeoPig on September 23, 2007, 07:27:24 am

You guys are dumb...  How many doctors you been around with perfect "grammar"?  English is what you speak, smart guy, grammar is the words you use and how you use them. 

Sorry "smart guy,"  the word English can pertain to spoken OR written words.  As the dictionary says:

2.   belonging or pertaining to, or spoken or written in, the English language.
–noun

Also, just so you'll know, grammar refers to both the spoken AND written use of words as well.  Oh, and the guy still isn't a doctor, as was obvious by his post. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogtheball on September 23, 2007, 04:15:42 pm
Quote from: BeoPig on September 23, 2007, 07:27:24 am

Sorry "smart guy,"  the word English can pertain to spoken OR written words.  As the dictionary says:

2.   belonging or pertaining to, or spoken or written in, the English language.
–noun

Also, just so you'll know, grammar refers to both the spoken AND written use of words as well.  Oh, and the guy still isn't a doctor, as was obvious by his post. 
Sorry I wasn't using the dictionary.  I was just going off how the words are NORMALLY used in the English language.  Go sign up for one of those college courses you love so much and tell me how they use those words.

I see I need to dummy it down for you.  English is the language and grammar is the words and how they are used.  I typed it slower that time.

My point stands about speaking well and being a dr or lawyer or anyone else with a higher degree.  Your speach patterns get their root in your primary socialization and some terms are hard to weed out of there.  It takes a lot of work to change how you speak/use words and for many that is just not a priority.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/