Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama Sportswriter understands: ARK has great talent; Pathetic Coaching

Started by TULAWHOG, September 17, 2007, 04:17:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TULAWHOG

Oliver

"But hey, look at the bright side. You could be an Arkansas fans, and have two of the best running backs in the country, a solid offensive line and a decent defense and have all of it undone by a bad coaching staff.

And goodness, is Houston Nutt and staff ever pitiful. You can't help but feel sorry for poor ol' Darren McFadden. The guy runs for almost 200 yards and two touchdowns and loses. That doesn't happen at many SEC schools, especially at the ones lacking really good basketball programs.

But McFadden and his backfield mate, Felix Jones, are stuck in this Pee Wee league offense, where they try to figure out every goofy way imaginable to get these guys the ball. As if simply turning around and handing it to them isn't enough.

Really, it's like Pee Wee ball, where you have that one kid on the team who's clearly better than everybody else and you come up with every scheme imaginable to let that kid touch the ball. The problem is the guys on defense aren't in the Pee Wee league, so that nonsense only works every now and then, and often backfires altogether. But that doesn't deter Nutt and the boys.

The Arkansas coaches have McFadden playing running back, quarterback, kick returner and on-the-field offensive coordinator. You half expect him to trot out and knock through an extra point or two.

Then you've got quarterback Casey Dick, who must be wondering just what in the world he's supposed to do in such a setup. Every fifth play, he's on the sidelines. And then people wonder why he's not playing very well.

It's maddening to watch the kind of talent Arkansas has be wasted. And that's coming from me. It must be head-bangingly frustrating for Razorback fans." 

AMEN to that.  Can we hire this writer to write for some publication in Arkansas?

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

jst01

Wow!  I would give anything for that guy to be a part of the Arkansas media!! 

SultanofSwine

bigyellowdog

razorbackmkh

"And as the Tide folks are now likely explaining to their pals from Arkansas, there's a quick fix for all that ails them -- dirty, stinking money"

Amen, brother.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

ceegar

Shouldnt AL have better talent since they have always been ranked higher in recruiting.   ???
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: ceegar on September 17, 2007, 04:25:31 pm
Shouldnt AL have better talent since they have always been ranked higher in recruiting.   ???

no one recruits better than Nutt according to Otis.   ;)

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 17, 2007, 04:20:05 pm
"But hey, look at the bright side. You could be an Arkansas fans, and have two of the best running backs in the country, a solid offensive line and a decent defense and have all of it undone by a bad coaching staff.

And goodness, is Houston Nutt and staff ever pitiful. You can't help but feel sorry for poor ol' Darren McFadden. The guy runs for almost 200 yards and two touchdowns and loses. That doesn't happen at many SEC schools, especially at the ones lacking really good basketball programs.

But McFadden and his backfield mate, Felix Jones, are stuck in this Pee Wee league offense, where they try to figure out every goofy way imaginable to get these guys the ball. As if simply turning around and handing it to them isn't enough.

Really, it's like Pee Wee ball, where you have that one kid on the team who's clearly better than everybody else and you come up with every scheme imaginable to let that kid touch the ball. The problem is the guys on defense aren't in the Pee Wee league, so that nonsense only works every now and then, and often backfires altogether. But that doesn't deter Nutt and the boys.

The Arkansas coaches have McFadden playing running back, quarterback, kick returner and on-the-field offensive coordinator. You half expect him to trot out and knock through an extra point or two.

Then you've got quarterback Casey Dick, who must be wondering just what in the world he's supposed to do in such a setup. Every fifth play, he's on the sidelines. And then people wonder why he's not playing very well.

It's maddening to watch the kind of talent Arkansas has be wasted. And that's coming from me. It must be head-bangingly frustrating for Razorback fans." 

AMEN to that.  Can we hire this writer to write for some publication in Arkansas?

Write, heck, I'd make him interim coach!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

TULAWHOG

Quote from: SultanofSwine on September 17, 2007, 04:22:42 pm
Whoever has Jeff Long's e-mail needs to foward that article.

Yes, and if not, we need to fire Long and hire this sportswriter as our AD because apparently he understands football better than anyone in our athletic department.

silvertip

Everybody over here in Bama is shaking their heads over Nutt's passing on 3rd down & giving Saban enough time to run his 2-minute offense. They're laughing about it on talk-radio.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

WilsonHog

Wow. That was brutal.

That's gonna give a few people a case of the Red Ass.

Nutt couldn't be any bloodier if the guy had unplugged his word processor, flown to Fayetteville, and smashed it over Nutt's head.

regi

This is dead on and has been for going on 6 years now. First Matt Jones, now D-Mac and Felix. D-Mac is that big sixth grader.

To beat UK, cut his touches down to 25 and Put him in at FS on all 3rd and longs.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

NICE:

"It's maddening to watch the kind of talent Arkansas has be wasted. And that's coming from me. It must be head-bangingly frustrating for Razorback fans.

So, maybe they were in the right place this weekend, because if there's any group who can relate to their situation, it's Alabama fans.

And as the Tide folks are now likely explaining to their pals from Arkansas, there's a quick fix for all that ails them -- dirty, stinking money."

budcampbellfan

This is what I meant last week when I had quotes around "get the ball into the hands of DMAC" and was taunted with "What's wrong with that?"

Nothing except that it's become the nut's answer to every problem on offense and returns.  That's what's wrong with that.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

usnavyhogfan

anyway we can get that put in the the papers around the state? its pretty bad when you have to go out of state to hear the truth. nutt sucks. always have and always will. you get what you pay for
The dream is free, the journey is not.

HangTenHog

The article is Dead On!

Too bad Ark journalists don't have the cajones to print similar.

Of course, some hugger will probably say he's from Springdale, or somewhere "up north". Hey, I got an idea...someone email it to Teresa...maybe they'll post or publish her profanity laden tirade as a response. Now, that would be interesting.

TULAWHOG

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on September 17, 2007, 04:33:13 pm
anyway we can get that put in the the papers around the state? its pretty bad when you have to go out of state to hear the truth. nutt sucks. always have and always will. you get what you pay for

It's amazing how long it has taken for someone to 1) Take Notice; 2) Publish what is blatantly obvious.  Sadly, it has to come from an out of state source.

NYC Hog

we're all pretty quick to bash writers who bash us...we should repay this guy's spot-on summation of our current situation (whoops, sorry for the Jesse Jackson-ism) in kind.
email this guy and let him know how right he is.
and tell him to...send help!
"Rock n' roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies."
--Drive By Truckers

HogNuttz

I guess with all the extra capital opened up from not paying players they can afford a decent coach now.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hell forward it to Wally and other members of the Arkansas media, and say hey it would be nice if you guys could write this honestly sometimes.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 17, 2007, 04:20:05 pm
You could be an Arkansas fans, and have two of the best running backs in the country, a solid offensive line and a decent defense and have all of it undone by a bad coaching staff.

And goodness, is Houston Nutt and staff ever pitiful.

Really, it's like Pee Wee ball,

This sportswriter is dead on accurate.

"And goodness, is Houston Nutt and staff ever pitiful".

PigTimePlayer

Wow . . . take that.  That didn't sound like a guy who wanted to bang on Arkansas just for fun.  That was just pure observational truth.  Nice find +1 to you.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

EastexHawg

It's refreshing, but the writer is only stating the obvious.  Anyone who has watched Nutt's incompetent so-called coaching for the last ten years could have written that piece.

I've said it for years and I'll say it again.  Houston Nutt is simply not a smart man.  I'm glad the rest of the world is finally catching on.  Give it another 15-20 years (and a few funerals) and maybe someone in the Arkansas media will begin to get a clue.

gduchar

that was AWESOME!!

now, how do we get $4mil / year to get a good coach?

i'll put $5 on it...

Oliver

TULAWHOG

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on September 17, 2007, 04:42:55 pm
Wow . . . take that.  That didn't sound like a guy who wanted to bang on Arkansas just for fun.  That was just pure observational truth.  Nice find +1 to you.

Ya, you're exactly right.  That sounded like a guy who feels pity because he has been there and recognizes what it feels like to watch his beloved sports team inexplicably underachieve, at the hands of terrible coaching.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 17, 2007, 04:40:58 pm
Hell forward it to Wally and other members of the Arkansas media, and say hey it would be nice if you guys could write this honestly sometimes.

Additionally, HI, Pigpen, every message board across the land, forwarded to Wally, Chuckles, Grit, Broyles and the BOT

It should be plastered on bill boards across Hog Nation much like the 95 Theses
So let it be written.....

El Puerco Grande

How 'bout them hogs?

ark30inf

TuckFexas

That was a joy to read. I know most of us know all of it already, but it was nice to see it somewhere other than just on the message boards.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

parrishw

Quote from: TULAWHOG on September 17, 2007, 04:17:53 pm
I have rarely read words this true.  Alabama sportswriter sees things as they are here on the hill.
Click here
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070916/SPORTS/709160322/1055

Worst part of this whole situation is.........we are paying HDN almost as much as they are paying Saban if you factor in the evergreen money he is already guaranteed....
We have given him contract extensions and given him raises and ..................oh my God..........stop me I am going to faint..............we are going to have to buy him out for HOW MUCH to get him to leave?

$4 MILLION..............................you have got to be kidding me...........................................

stevenwayneslane

Where are all the huggers on this one. Are they opening there eyes to see that Nutt is the laughing stock of the SEC. You never see him mentioned on any of the watch list or about how great of a coach he is from other SEC schools. He is an idiot.

TULAWHOG

Quote from: TuckFexas on September 17, 2007, 05:03:08 pm
That was a joy to read. I know most of us know all of it already, but it was nice to see it somewhere other than just on the message boards.

Yes and maybe the national media will get a clue and stop portraying hog fans as crazy.  Obviously, there is a coaching issue if an out of state, completely disinterested party feels compelled to write about it

chortle

Dear Wally,

Allow us to help you take another day off. Copy, paste and cite for your next "Like It Is".

Signed,

Agonizing Arkansas Fans

usnavyhogfan

this article really needs to get some big time exposure around the state
The dream is free, the journey is not.

HogFan1973

"It's maddening to watch the kind of talent Arkansas has be wasted. And that's coming from me. It must be head-bangingly frustrating for Razorback fans."

Gosh I have never seen it printed so true.

SpareRib

I have rarely read words this true.  Alabama sportswriter sees things as they are here on the hill.
Click here
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070916/SPORTS/709160322/1055

Amen and amen!  Thanks TULAW -  Painfully and succinctly to the point.  He went straight to the obvious bottom line.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

HogFan1973

I just got through reading that for the second time, and laughed so hard, I printed it out so I could have another laugh later.

Gosh he got that on the dot

TULAWHOG

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on September 17, 2007, 05:41:25 pm
"It's maddening to watch the kind of talent Arkansas has be wasted. And that's coming from me. It must be head-bangingly frustrating for Razorback fans."

So true, but so sad.  Just think, he's only talking about the talent on campus right now....not the talent that should be on campus (Mustain, Williams, B. Green, Mallet or Burns etc.).

cpohog

So that explains it!
This coaching staff (pee wee league) were actually giving Malzahn a compliment when they were calling him High school. LOL. They, deep down wanted to be as good as him.

DukeOfPork

Click here

That dude nailed it.  Every single thing he said was true.

Brer Hog

Quote from: TULAWHOG on September 17, 2007, 06:06:08 pm
Quote from: Air It Out Gus on September 17, 2007, 05:41:25 pm

So true, but so sad.  Just think, he's only talking about the talent on campus right now....not the talent that should be on campus (Mustain, Williams, B. Green, Mallet or Burns etc.).

So true!  Say we had a competent, secure coach who had welcomed and developed Mitch, recognized and welcomed Gus for his offens-ive and recruiting abilities, and didn't have to talk about building a fence to keep players in but one to keep only but the best in the nation out, and was smart enough to use all the talent he had with a balanced attack that did not increase the risk of injury from wearing out his talent from overuse, then we would have not only kicked Alabama all over the field all night long but we would have beaten them like Florida did Tennessee and be legitimate contenders for an SEC Championship.     

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP THIS 10-YEAR NIGHTMARE END!

HogFan1973

Someone with accounts on the other boards, need to post this link.

Porkahontas

That was blasted clean out of the stadium.

The only thing that seperated Arkansas and Bama Saturday night was coaching. Not just the head coaches, but Saban seems to have a better staff under him (save maybe the defensive coordinator).

Flatfoot

You notice anything, not one hugger has placed a thread on here to dispute what was written. 

This article made me cringe because of the brutal honesty concerning Nutt.  Bout time we are seeing the media, even if its out of state, see what a mess Nutt and our football program has become.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.