Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you know a QB from a Texas HS is good?

Started by MysticHog, September 13, 2007, 11:20:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MysticHog

Answer:
He signs with Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or Oklahoma.  Not Arkansas

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

John Futrall

selfexplanatory

This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: mikeyg31 on September 13, 2007, 11:21:12 am
Clint Stoerner....

PROJECT

Clint panned out wonderfully after great tutelage from one Joe Ferguson.  He wasn't highly recruited by any top programs as I recall.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

John Futrall

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 13, 2007, 11:25:13 am
Quote from: mikeyg31 on September 13, 2007, 11:21:12 am
Clint Stoerner....

PROJECT

Clint panned out wonderfully after great tutelage from one Joe Ferguson.  He wasn't highly recruited by any top programs as I recall.

Good call...

He is, however, a QB, and he is from TX (I'm assuming he played QB in Baytown)

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Well they are probably throwing in High school and want to do some of the same in college.  Why would they go to Arkansas.?  and whomever mentioned Stoerner I am fairly certain he was recrutied by Danny Ford and not the QB killer himself HDN
Let's make some waves.

GrumpyHog

I was going to say if their last name was Dick.  Sarcasm

Luke Duke

September 13, 2007, 11:27:20 am #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:28:53 am by Luke Duke
Someone needs to tell that to Bill Montgomery and Clint Stoerner.

Oh, and Chase Daniel, Drew Brees, Ryan Mallet, Matthew Stafford, Tate from Iowa, and endless other QB's.

Heck, if JP Wilson goes down, we'll see another Texas QB that didn't go to any of those schools.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

EastexHawg

Are you trying to say watch out for Texas QBs whose offers came from SMU, VMI...and maybe even Kansas State?

Even if someone can point out that Max Emfinger or Rivals or Odus has him rated at the #23 dual purpose athletic running single wing tailback might be able to learn to pass well enough to get by QB in the nation?

Biggus Piggus

I don't believe Mystic's point was that good Texas QB's only go to four schools.  The "not Arkansas" part, I believe, was his point.  Though one also could wonder whether those QB's who do come to Arkansas would have been better off somewhere else.
[CENSORED]!

HogHeathen

There's a heck of a lot more than four QB's in Tx.

razorhog52

What good QB's have gone to Texas Tech? Seems like they are a product of a system to me.

ceegar

I think it was a bash to our current QB's.  Try another team that doesnt get you too worked up.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

kimjongsqUeAl

funny.  The point is HDN hardly recruits QBs and it's true.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

tiber

I'm sure our QBs from Texas appreciate the support.

coach, my back hurts

How do you know if a QB is good from any state in the US?..........He DOESNT sign with the Razorbacks.

As long as Nutt is here, i will question and second guess the QB's he brings in.  Most of that isnt the kids fault, the kids just wont develop here. 

If i had a son, and he was fortunate to be good enough to play at that level, i'd want him to go to UofA if he played something else besides QB.  If he was a QB, i'd prefer he went elsewhere.

Hollywood_HOGan45

They may be good QBs but after nuttjob gets done with them, they usually turn out average. (Robert Johnson, Casey Dick, Zac Clark,)

T.Jackson actually got better at another lower level school after he left nuttjob. Now he is a starter in the NFL.

Bomis Hawg

Riley Dodge is going to North Texas.
Yeah, his dad coaches there now.  But that's just trivial details.

Conway Cool Daddy

Way to early to give up on Casey and Nathan.

Casey just needs a coach that will help him to develop as a player and put him in situations where he can succeed.
So far in his career he has not improved from his freshman year. Injuries and Nutt have not helped.

If he is playing anywhere besides Arkansas he is throwing for 200+ yards per game.

txrzrbk

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 13, 2007, 12:59:54 pm

Casey just needs a coach that will help him to develop as a player and put him in situations where he can succeed.
So far in his career he has not improved from his freshman year. Injuries and Nutt have not helped.

If he is playing anywhere besides Arkansas he is throwing for 200+ yards per game.

You may be right, and for both of those young men's sake, I hope you are.

I do think though that it was hard to sign a really top flight quarterback before the Mustain deal due to the Arkansas offense scheme.  Now with all that has happened, we will never get a top line prospect until a major change in direction is made.  A young man with pro potential would have to be out of his mind to come to Arkansas under its current state.

Actually, my only criticism of Mustain is I don't know if he has the savvy to really make it big as a qb because of how he took the Arkansas bait hook line and sinker. 

Boar in the USA

Quote from: MysticHog on September 13, 2007, 11:20:28 am
Answer:
That's a nice sentiment to have towards the many QBs from Texas who have signed with us over the years. Quit proving you're an a$$hole, please.

Hogblog

Answer:
He signs with Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Michigan or Oklahoma.  Not Arkansas

Fixed...........

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: txrzrbk on September 13, 2007, 01:05:58 pm
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 13, 2007, 12:59:54 pm

You may be right, and for both of those young men's sake, I hope you are.

I do think though that it was hard to sign a really top flight quarterback before the Mustain deal due to the Arkansas offense scheme.  Now with all that has happened, we will never get a top line prospect until a major change in direction is made.  A young man with pro potential would have to be out of his mind to come to Arkansas under its current state.

Actually, my only criticism of Mustain is I don't know if he has the savvy to really make it big as a qb because of how he took the Arkansas bait hook line and sinker. 

I'm probably going to catch heck for this, but do we really NEED a pro style QB?
You probably are never going to attract a kid that has pro aspirations to Arkansas. It just doesn't make sense for a QB with that much talent to come here unless he is a huge Hog fan anyway. Our offensive philosophy isn't conducive to big passing numbers even in the best of years.

I don't think we need an Elway or a Montana. I would be happy with another Clint Stoerner though.

hogtusk

Answer:
So did Casey or Nathan Dick beat you out in HS. CD is just a junior he will be fine. Seriously, ever since CD beat out MM last year he has gotten no respect. Give him some time.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Quote from: hogtusk on September 13, 2007, 01:22:01 pm
Answer:
So did Casey or Nathan Dick beat you out in HS. CD is just a junior he will be fine. Seriously, ever since CD beat out MM last year he has gotten no respect. Give him some time.

what an idiot.  never losing a game and being benched doesn't mean you got beat out...lol  Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.  He was benched because a 60 yr old heach coach making over a million bucks a year got his feelings huurt.  period.  and to you coo daddy conway guy.  yes we will need to throw in the future and have a prostyle QB.  We always have good running backs and don't need another one taking the snap from center.  We will never have the talent to line up head to head and man to man and beat fl or lsu.  Gonna have to have some versatility.
Let's make some waves.

Flatline

Answer:

Beat him out!!!  What the hell are you talking about.  MM was pulled after one bad pass just after THE BOOK was released.  MM was never given another chance after that even though CD was sucking wind.  WAKE THE FREAK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txrzrbk

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 01:52:04 pm
Answer:

what an idiot.  never losing a game and being benched doesn't mean you got beat out...lol  Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.  He was benched because a 60 yr old heach coach making over a million bucks a year got his feelings huurt.  period.  and to you coo daddy conway guy.  yes we will need to throw in the future and have a prostyle QB.  We always have good running backs and don't need another one taking the snap from center.  We will never have the talent to line up head to head and man to man and beat fl or lsu.  Gonna have to have some versatility.

To me it's the only way we get to the next level.  We can keep going 10-4 or 8-5 or worse.  Until we get with the current trends and do what the really top level teams are doing, we will never be a real contender.  But,then again, I guess the guy who posted the thread is probably also saying "Why do we need to be a top team?"

tigerLSU

Or LSU

Signed

Matt Flynn

Jacob karam (class of 2008)

hogtusk

Quote from: MLH on September 13, 2007, 01:53:55 pm
Answer:

Beat him out!!!  What the hell are you talking about.  MM was pulled after one bad pass just after THE BOOK was released.  MM was never given another chance after that even though CD was sucking wind.  WAKE THE FREAK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I thought when they pulled a player and replaced him with one who was doing better it was called "beating him out". Guess I'm just old school.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

hogsanity

How do I know a Qb from a TX Hs is good?  Easy, if they are starting for a Texas HS they are good.  They have to be.  They play good competion just about every week.  And, if you are talking about a TX HS Qb that is being recruited by BCS Conf schools, I can guarantee they are top flight Qbs'.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

I suspect that some outstanding Texas high school quarterbacks and wide receivers are going to start finding their way to Denton to play for Todd Dodge at North Texas. His offense will showcase them nicely for the NFL, and they'll put up some monstrous numbers in the process.

Quote from: hogtusk on September 13, 2007, 02:00:09 pm
Answer:

Sorry, I thought when they pulled a player and replaced him with one who was doing better it was called "beating him out". Guess I'm just old school.

dude seriously.  didn't know you old guys smoked crack.  You need to quit though it will kill you and make you do silly things.  seven consecutive victories ugly or not is what Mustain did.  Then after one pass he is jerked from the game by a dork.  That isn't getting beat out.  what is sad is the same head coach that says he benched Mustain because of his quick hook allowed Casey Dick to flounder through the LSU game with 4-17 passing.  Where was the quick hook?  At that moment the ball boy was throwing better than Dick.  Does that mean HDN should have played him?
Let's make some waves.

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 13, 2007, 02:04:17 pm
I suspect that some outstanding Texas high school quarterbacks and wide receivers are going to start finding their way to Denton to play for Todd Dodge at North Texas. His offense will showcase them nicely for the NFL, and they'll put up some monstrous numbers in the process.

I think that many skill players are going to start migrating to these "system" schools.  N Tx, TT, Tulsa, and others that run a spread type offense will never hurt for WR's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

that's no joke Wilsonhog.  It may take a few years, and their defense may never be up to ssnuff, but North TX will sign some bigtime QB's and wideouts because of the exciting brand of football they will be playing...

+1 for you

Let's make some waves.

GBPackerFan

Answer:

You are right...it definitely had nothing to do with the fact that Mustain threw two picks and only got 97 yards in the game prior to that....against LOUISIAN-MONROE!   WAKE THE FREAK UP!!!!!! MUSTAIN SUCKED JUST AS BAD AS CD LAST SEASON!  AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 02:07:40 pm

that's no joke Wilsonhog.  It may take a few years, and their defense may never be up to ssnuff, but North TX will sign some bigtime QB's and wideouts because of the exciting brand of football they will be playing...

+1 for you

So, is exciting Fb going to be winning fb?  Most of these type of teams have always been one sided.  They never have any defense, and therfore are perinial also rans.

hogtusk

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 02:05:23 pm
Answer:

dude seriously.  didn't know you old guys smoked crack.  You need to quit though it will kill you and make you do silly things.  seven consecutive victories ugly or not is what Mustain did.  Then after one pass he is jerked from the game by a dork.  That isn't getting beat out.  what is sad is the same head coach that says he benched Mustain because of his quick hook allowed Casey Dick to flounder through the LSU game with 4-17 passing.  Where was the quick hook?  At that moment the ball boy was throwing better than Dick.  Does that mean HDN should have played him?
Actually that is getting beat out. If the ball boy could get the job done better in the coach's opinion then sure he should play. (If he is eligible) :)
I pretty sure were why I'm seeing this animosity towards Dick, now it's beginning to make sense.

ListenHereMister

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2007, 02:11:36 pm

+1 for you

So, is exciting Fb going to be winning fb?  Most of these type of teams have always been one sided.  They never have any defense, and therfore are perinial also rans.

yeah I guess Florida and USC are also rans also?  they may not run every play out of the shotgun, but they will sure spread it around when they have to.   that's one reason they are so hard to beat.    you have to respect the pass first or they will kill you....we don't have that hogsanity.  and do you consider one season out of three winning football?  because thats what hdn has done.
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: hogtusk on September 13, 2007, 02:19:12 pm
Answer:

Actually that is getting beat out. If the ball boy could get the job done better in the coach's opinion then sure he should play. (If he is eligible) :)
I pretty sure were why I'm seeing this animosity towards Dick, now it's beginning to make sense.

bet the ball boy could go 4-17 and lose
Let's make some waves.

hogtusk

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 02:24:21 pm
Answer:

Well from looking at your picture, I'm going out on a limb and guess that #16 is for MM and not Nathan Emert.
MM will be a very good QB, probably will get a shot at the NFL. But he was stinking the joint up when he got pulled last year. IMO
Don't put that on CD, blame the coaches if you want but take it easy on the players.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 02:23:27 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2007, 02:11:36 pm

+1 for you

yeah I guess Florida and USC are also rans also?  they may not run every play out of the shotgun, but they will sure spread it around when they have to.   that's one reason they are so hard to beat.    you have to respect the pass first or they will kill you....we don't have that hogsanity.  and do you consider one season out of three winning football?  because thats what hdn has done.

As I said, MOST OF THESE TEAMS.  Also, FLa and USC dont run anything like NTX or TT run.  Oh, and USC and FLA also have something called DEFENSE.

GBPackerFan

Answer:

But the thing is, is that CD could have won all of those games too (with exception of the Vandy game b/c Mustain did do pretty well in that one), b/c DMac and Felix and our D were winning those games...not Mustain.  But CD should have been pulled in that LSU game. 

Quote from: hogtusk on September 13, 2007, 02:37:41 pm
Quote from: hogfanintx on September 13, 2007, 02:24:21 pm
Answer:

Well from looking at your picture, I'm going out on a limb and guess that #16 is for MM and not Nathan Emert.
MM will be a very good QB, probably will get a shot at the NFL. But he was stinking the joint up when he got pulled last year. IMO
Don't put that on CD, blame the coaches if you want but take it easy on the players.

I will call out coaches and players when they don't do well.  I think every person that worries too much about players feeling should go to a Yankee game in the Bronx.  If someone stinks up the field I will do my best to let them know.  same for the coaches.  Casey D may be the greatest person in the world, but there is no way he should be a starting QB at the university of Arkansas.  HDN should no longer be the head coach.  Put him in charge of cheerleading.  His rah rah style helped turn the hogs around in a time of need, but he has built no stability and can never seem to sustain winning. 
Let's make some waves.

kennedy

Grumpy Hog..I sincerely hope you never have a son that plays D1 ball...

Your comment was so filled with class.

What goes round comes round.

yraciv