Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN writer's top 10 hardest places to coach

Started by selfexplanatory, September 10, 2007, 02:05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

selfexplanatory

This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

biggiepiggie

Arkansas shouldn't even be in the top 10.  We kept a coach after two
consecutive losing seasons.  Who else does that?

The Boar War

Not a bad list to be in considering the company.  Too bad we don't have the success of the other programs.

razorbackred

Good point biggiepiggie!

Where else can you lose and still get a pay raise?

Feralhog

September 10, 2007, 02:13:02 pm #4 Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:17:20 pm by Feralhog
Totally unfair.  "Lloyd Carr wouldn't survive there!"  Nutt survived back to back losing seasons.  I bet a dollar to a donut that Carr could finish the season with 8 wins and still might lose his job at Meeeeshigan.  Guy who wrote this article is an absolute fool. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: razorbackred on September 10, 2007, 02:09:18 pm
Good point biggiepiggie!

Where else can you lose and still get a pay raise?

Apparently Notre Dame now

ArkansasI

No one outside the Razorback circle of players, fans and administrators understands what is happening on the Hill.  Most assume that our fans are crazy.

dfresh

I live right in the middle of it and I think the fans are crazy.

John Futrall

Quote from: biggiepiggie on September 10, 2007, 02:08:03 pm

Mississippi St.
:)

nychog

The guy was pretty spot-on.....Although, at this point, Arkansas could be ranked even higher.....just wait to see how difficult it will be to get a "big-name" coach when HDN is gone.....

HoopHog

Lloyd Carr would be enshriined as a saint at Arkansas.  Does this guy know a damn thing?  Obviously the 5 win 2004 season followed by the 4 win 2005 season indicates -- "NO, he does not!"

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: ArkansasI on September 10, 2007, 02:15:30 pm
No one outside the Razorback circle of players, fans and administrators understands what is happening on the Hill.  Most assume that our fans are crazy.

Because we are.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: mikeyg31 on September 10, 2007, 02:21:33 pm

Mississippi St.
:)

Hey Croom, has done a great job teaching character to his players; too bad he didn't teach football to them  ;)

hogsanity

Was this list based on fan expectations?  Past administrative decisions?  I agree with most of the schools listed. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GiantFoamFingerMak

Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nychog on September 10, 2007, 02:23:03 pm
The guy was pretty spot-on.....Although, at this point, Arkansas could be ranked even higher.....just wait to see how difficult it will be to get a "big-name" coach when HDN is gone.....

Not hard at all.
Go Hogs Go!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2007, 02:27:13 pm
Was this list based on fan expectations?  Past administrative decisions?  I agree with most of the schools listed. 

I think it's 1/3 fan expectations, 1/3 past admin decisions, and 1/3 "what's gone down lately".  I agree with most of the list, but think Arkansas is a bit high, based on the FOIA stuff.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

whostolemyhogs

Quote from: RazorbackDem on September 10, 2007, 02:23:50 pm

Because we are.
Speak for yourself. I want Houston Nutt gone and I'm a very well adjusted individual. Sane enough to spot a polecat when I see one.

PCHogs

How can Arkansas be the 5th hardest place to coach in the country when we have retained and even given raises and extensions to a coach who has yet to win the SEC, has yet to go to muchless win a BCS bowl game, and who has a losing post season record? 

This is just absurd.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

hogsanity

Quote from: PCHogs on September 10, 2007, 02:35:20 pm
How can Arkansas be the 5th hardest place to coach in the country when we have retained and even given raises and extensions to a coach who has yet to win the SEC, has yet to go to muchless win a BCS bowl game, and who has a losing post season record? 

This is just absurd.

This is the rep you get when you have fans foi'ing phone records, and suing the school pres and chancellor after a 10-4 season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Fatty McGee

This is just absurd.

The writer was considering normal coaches, not those that really "love the helmet."  They're in a special untouchable category.  See also Stan Heath.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hoginator

#5? Lloyd Carr fired?
He must have been drawing names out of Saban's new Bama Hat...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

PCHogs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2007, 02:37:37 pm

This is just absurd.

This is the rep you get when you have fans foi'ing phone records, and suing the school pres and chancellor after a 10-4 season.

No, this is the rep you get from the drive-by media types who are agenda driven and/or don't do their homework.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

Since 1894

Glad to see that half the field is from the SEC
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Killean

Quote from: PCHogs on September 10, 2007, 02:40:23 pm

This is just absurd.

No, this is the rep you get from the drive-by media types who are agenda driven and/or don't do their homework.

Exactly, I mean YOUR relationship with the married person is different, people on the outside just don't understand.

See what I'm getting at there?
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

hogsanity

Would you guys rather this be any easy place to coach?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: Feralhog on September 10, 2007, 02:13:02 pm
Totally unfair.  "Lloyd Carr wouldn't survive there!"  Nutt survived back to back losing seasons.  I bet a dollar to a donut that Carr could finish the season with 8 wins and still might lose his job at Meeeeshigan.  Guy who wrote this article is an absolute fool. 

I think he might have been referring to The Citadel loss when speaking of Carr being fired.

or maybe not

Reaganite

Killean

It was actually mentioned in a few articles that Frank Broyles would have fired him that afternoon :P
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HoopHog on September 10, 2007, 02:23:43 pm
Lloyd Carr would be enshriined as a saint at Arkansas.  Does this guy know a damn thing?  Obviously the 5 win 2004 season followed by the 4 win 2005 season indicates -- "NO, he does not!"

The only ones that know ANY thing are the darkest of the darksiders, of course.  :)

PCHogs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2007, 02:45:38 pm

Arkansas is an easy place to coach in comparison to the rest of the places on that list.....Arkansas should not even be on that list.  How is Arkansas an easier to place to coach than Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Nebraska or Georgia?  Come on.  Do you think any of those schools have ever or would ever put up with Nutt's record?  Absolutely not.
My websites: 

Killean

Quote from: PCHogs on September 10, 2007, 02:51:54 pm

Arkansas is an easy place to coach in comparison to the rest of the places on that list.....Arkansas should not even be on that list.  How is Arkansas an easier to place to coach than Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Nebraska or Georgia?  Come on.  Do you think any of those schools have ever or would ever put up with Nutt's record?  Absolutely not.

How many of those schools have had fans FOI a coaches cellphone records and then infer he was cheating on his wife plus file a lawsuit against the University over not punishing the coach because he did something they didn't like to their Messiah.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: Killean on September 10, 2007, 02:54:35 pm
Quote from: PCHogs on September 10, 2007, 02:51:54 pm

How many of those schools have had fans FOI a coaches cellphone records and then infer he was cheating on his wife plus file a lawsuit against the University over not punishing the coach because he did something they didn't like to their Messiah.

Or have a lawyer who had such a hard on to get ahold of and make sure copies of supposedly private email conversations got out on the web, that he was willing to knowingly and with malice disobey a judges order to cease discovery.

Biggus Piggus

QFT
[CENSORED]!

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 10, 2007, 02:42:39 pm
Glad to see that half the field is from the SEC

Just goes to show how tough our league really is.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

HoopHog

This writier just proves you can research nothing and write everything.  What an idiot.  I told some Michigan fans and they laughed their arses off about this.  They agree with me...Lloyd Carr would be enshrined as a saint if he coached at Arkansas.  Well, anyone with half a brain would be...following the Dork!

hogsanity

If it was an EASY place to caoch, wouldn't that mean that the fans and or adm DO NOT CARE?

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

HedgeDweller

September 10, 2007, 03:06:33 pm #38 Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:09:47 pm by HedgeDweller
Quote from: HoopHog on September 10, 2007, 03:02:07 pm
This writier just proves you can research nothing and write everything.  What an idiot.  I told some Michigan fans and they laughed their arses off about this.  They agree with me...Lloyd Carr would be enshrined as a saint if he coached at Arkansas.  Well, anyone with half a brain would be...following the Dork!

All remarks that I know you will make about HDN aside, Carr would not cut it here or anywhere else in the SEC.
JMHO.

PCHogs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2007, 03:04:06 pm
If it was an EASY place to caoch, wouldn't that mean that the fans and or adm DO NOT CARE?

I don't think anyone said it's an "easy" place to coach, but it is easier in comparison to the other schools on that list.
My websites: 

heathman

Lloyd Carr would not be enshrined as a saint here.  He cannot recruit well enough (if he was at Arkansas) to bring the success he has had at Michigan.  I want to go another direction with the coaching staff but Carr is way overrated.  Look at the last couple of recruiting classes he has had, a large portion of the states top players went elsewhere.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: RazorbackDem on September 10, 2007, 02:23:50 pm

Because we are.

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on September 10, 2007, 02:28:15 pm
finally some respect

+1s to both of you gentlemen.

This is just absurd.

Totally true, the sort of behavior we've seen this off-season has consequences.  If this goes on much longer, we're going to have hdn promoted to the level of a college football folk hero for having to contend with it.

PaleHorse

Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

notreseveredname

It's a prime example of national media getting all there info 2nd hand and then regurgitate whatever parts of the story support their spin.

stevenwayneslane

I will agree with that if you are LAMonroe or LaTech or something along those lines.

HoopHog

Quote from: heathman on September 10, 2007, 03:08:42 pm
This writer just proves you can research nothing and write everything.  What an idiot.  I told some Michigan fans and they laughed their arses off about this.  They agree with me...Lloyd Carr would be enshrined as a saint if he coached at Arkansas.  Well, anyone with half a brain would be...following the Dork!

Lloyd Carr would not be enshrined as a saint here.  He cannot recruit well enough (if he was at Arkansas) to bring the success he has had at Michigan.  I want to go another direction with the coaching staff but Carr is way overrated.  Look at the last couple of recruiting classes he has had, a large portion of the states top players went elsewhere.

Hmmmmmmm interesting take.  The last few years, eh?  Let's see, Michigan has the 10th rated recruiting class so far for this season, the #12 class for 2007 (including Arkansas Razorback wannabee, Ryan Mallett), 13th rated class in 2006, #6 recruiting class in 2005, #5 class in 2004, #17 in 2003 and #16 in 2002.

What were you saying about Michigan's (and Lloyd Carr's) recruiting?  Compared to Houston Nutt's recruiting, Lloyd Carr has done very well.  Well, considering that the Hog's recruiting classes can't ever seem to break the top 20 (2008 - tied at #12, 2007 - not in the top 25, 2006 - not in the top 25, 2005 - #24, 2004 - #22, 2003 - not in the top 25, 2002 - not in the top 25).

I don't want Lloyd Carr as Arkansas' head coach...that isn't what I said or suggested, but he has recruited rings around the Nuttster.  Like I said, given this state unusual love affair with a mediocre coach, Lloyd Carr would be enshrined right now!

jdlew

Quote from: Feralhog on September 10, 2007, 02:13:02 pm
selective memory again......he was going to Neb. and we talked him out of it and gave him that two year pass....he had to have a good season last year and he did...if he has a bad year this year fire him.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HoopHog on September 10, 2007, 03:23:28 pm
This writer just proves you can research nothing and write everything.  What an idiot.  I told some Michigan fans and they laughed their arses off about this.  They agree with me...Lloyd Carr would be enshrined as a saint if he coached at Arkansas.  Well, anyone with half a brain would be...following the Dork!

Hmmmmmmm interesting take.  The last few years, eh?  Let's see, Michigan has the 10th rated recruiting class so far for this season, the #12 class for 2007 (including Arkansas Razorback wannabee, Ryan Mallett), 13th rated class in 2006, #6 recruiting class in 2005, #5 class in 2004, #17 in 2003 and #16 in 2002.

What were you saying about Michigan's (and Lloyd Carr's) recruiting?  Compared to Houston Nutt's recruiting, Lloyd Carr has done very well.  Well, considering that the Hog's recruiting classes can't ever seem to break the top 20 (2008 - tied at #12, 2007 - not in the top 25, 2006 - not in the top 25, 2005 - #24, 2004 - #22, 2003 - not in the top 25, 2002 - not in the top 25).

I don't want Lloyd Carr as Arkansas' head coach...that isn't what I said or suggested, but he has recruited rings around the Nuttster.  Like I said, given this state unusual love affair with a mediocre coach, Lloyd Carr would be enshrined right now!

I agree with you about not wanting Carr as coach here - I don't believe he could coach in the SEC.

But, what were App State's and Oregon's last few recruiting classes rated as compared to Michigan's?

heathman

Quote from: HoopHog on September 10, 2007, 03:23:28 pm

If your going to quote me at least quote me correctly.  I said if he was recruiting to Arkansas.  Do you research and look at the in state recurits and where the top went.  He could not recruit to Arkansas.  He is coaching Michigan, which there is a little bit of difference.  Are you saying that the Arkansas program is on there level, have we ever been?